HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

Want to live forever?

Old
04-08-2013, 12:12 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Want to live forever?

Well these billionaires do and are putting their money into research. http://money.cnn.com/gallery/magazin...tml?iid=F_Jump

Some of this is actually pretty interesting. Ghost in the machine stuff.

Russian billionaire and media mogul Dmitry Itskov made a big splash last year when he created the 2045 Initiative, which brought 30 top Russian scientists on board to create an international research center to study immortality. The 31-year-old president of New Media Stars, a Russian company that runs several online news outlets, has implored other billionaires to start funding "cybernetic immortality and the artificial body." His plan: transfer the human consciousness to a remotely controlled avatar, or a synthetic brain -- what he sees as the next step in human evolution.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Any Colour You Like
Communiqué

vCash: 2293
They must have loved Avatar.

Any Colour You Like is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Unaffiliated

Consciousness is difficult to even define.

"Transferring to a synthetic brain" doesn't make much sense to me...

Unaffiliated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:36 AM
Sharpshooter

vCash: 550
Well, maybe not 'forever', but I wouldn't mind a few hundred years extra. After I get bored from it all, i'd still like the option to Kevorkian myself.

Besides...death is a part of life...

Sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:31 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unaffiliated View Post
Consciousness is difficult to even define.

"Transferring to a synthetic brain" doesn't make much sense to me...
That's kind of how I feel. If you are transferring your "consciousness" or knowledge into a synthetic brain, is it still really you?

Old
04-09-2013, 09:30 AM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooter1 View Post
Well, maybe not 'forever', but I wouldn't mind a few hundred years extra. After I get bored from it all, i'd still like the option to Kevorkian myself.

Besides...death is a part of life...
This.

Living forever seems to be the stupidest concept ever. Forever is a freaking long time, and there's a finite amount of stuff to do. Eventually, you're going to wish you could die.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:35 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
That's kind of how I feel. If you are transferring your "consciousness" or knowledge into a synthetic brain, is it still really you?
That's kind of a Ship of Theseus question. I'd leave it for philosophers.

I'm skeptical of anything like this project though. The problem with trying to simulate a human brain at this point is that we have a very vague idea of how the brain really works. We can't just throw 10^14 circuits together (the number of synapses in the brain) and call it a brain, we still need to understand how they wire together. We attack this problem from two sides, the neurology side and the simulation side. I can't say anything about neurology, but from what I know about artificial neural networks, projects like these have a very long road to travel.

Our best neural networks are struggling to reach the same level of general "intelligence" as a young child. You can get them pretty well-trained on a specific task like translation or image recognition, but the state of the art on those still has a success rate in the high 80s at best, while most humans score in the high 90s at worst. And that's just for specific tasks. If you take those same neural networks and try to get them to do anything besides what they were trained for, they'll freak out. It stands to reason that we should train a bunch of them on different tasks and them wire them together somehow, but that's where the hard part comes in because we still haven't figured out a way to do that and get the success rates that come naturally to humans.

The general rule for AI is that the more naturally something comes to the human mind, the harder time we'll have getting a computer to do it; and that difficulty factor scales exponentially. Math was easy, but trying to read one handwritten digit was comparatively pretty hard. We're struggling with image segmentation/recognition on the level that naturally comes to a 5 year old, so can you imagine how hard it would be to transfer the consciousness -- something so natural to us we can barely even define it -- of an adult?

That said, just like any big science project, keep throwing time and effort into it (money helps too) and who knows what could happen!

Last edited by Sevanston: 04-09-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:31 PM
MarkGio

I think there's scientific value other than the obvious solution to a billionaire's mortality salience. Some of the world's best minds can continue to serve society. Victims of crime can get a second chance. To name a few.

Last edited by MarkGio: 04-09-2013 at 02:39 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Razor29
Bandwagon Hopper

vCash: 50
Problem with living forever is that there are already too many people on this planet. I would love to live forever though since I am scared to death of death.

Razor29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
Problem with living forever is that there are already too many people on this planet. I would love to live forever though since I am scared to death of death.
I would definitely help in populating the solar system though. And the longer we live the more we'd be able to build on accumulated knowledge.

But the 'forever' part is much more scarier that death imo...because 'forever' is entirely too long and boring.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

Would you really be able to transfer yourself? Or would you only be able to make a copy? Because then you'd still die and only the copy would live on.

04-09-2013, 04:00 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Would you really be able to transfer yourself? Or would you only be able to make a copy? Because then you'd still die and only the copy would live on.
I think I saw something or read something about 'transporters', essentially destroying the person, after copying them and re-materializing them some place else.

I figure that would/could be a similar process to 'downloading' oneself into a machine.

Here's a great vid of transporters by one of my fave physicists:

Old
04-09-2013, 04:40 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
This.

Living forever seems to be the stupidest concept ever. Forever is a freaking long time, and there's a finite amount of stuff to do. Eventually, you're going to wish you could die.
I disagree. The number of pursuits you could undertake are virtually infinite. The progression of time itself would open up countless new possibilities of things to do. It's more plausible that the universe would end sooner than you'd run out of things to do.

04-09-2013, 05:22 PM
Green Blob*

I would do this then go to Mars

Green Blob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:33 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Blob View Post
I would do this then go to Mars
Go alone. And have your administrator disengage your self destruct mode.

That would punish the immortal

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I disagree. The number of pursuits you could undertake are virtually infinite. The progression of time itself would open up countless new possibilities of things to do. It's more plausible that the universe would end sooner than you'd run out of things to do.
Seemingly infinte...but definitely finite....and as finite as the ever-expanding and ever increasingly inhospitable universe will allow.

What are you going to do when all the lights go off and there's nothing left to do?

Remember, too much of a good thing, is a bad thing....and that goes with living as well i presume.

Old
04-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Unaffiliated

I would imagine that terminating your immortality would be always be an option in something like this. Destroy your "synthetic brain", or stop generating new avatar bodies, etc.

Or are people just responding to the thread title and not the actual OP content?

Old
04-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
I would imagine that terminating your immortality would be always be an option in something like this. Destroy your "synthetic brain", or stop generating new avatar bodies, etc.

Or are people just responding to the thread title and not the actual OP content?
So we should ignore the thread title and start imagining whatever we want according to the limited content of the OP, such as a self destruct button for our synthetic brains, or off switches on our avatars?

Old
04-09-2013, 07:23 PM
ZenMaster*

This planet does not have enough resources for us to live forever. Just like in the body when a cell refuses to die, it becomes a cancer cell, we tpp would become a cancer to this world if we lived forever.

ZenMaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:01 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:
Seemingly infinte...but definitely finite....and as finite as the ever-expanding and ever increasingly inhospitable universe will allow.

What are you going to do when all the lights go off and there's nothing left to do?

Remember, too much of a good thing, is a bad thing....and that goes with living as well i presume.
I agree, virtually infinite was my approximation of a definite value that approaches infinity but never reaches there.

When the lights go out (ie when the universe 'ends'), you'd kind of figure that even the synthetically preserved consciousness of any person would be lost. I'd contend that this will happen before anyone gets to the 'end' of things to do.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:07 PM
rwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
This planet does not have enough resources for us to live forever. Just like in the body when a cell refuses to die, it becomes a cancer cell, we tpp would become a cancer to this world if we lived forever.
One could argue that without a need for basic resources such as food and water to sustain us, we would be FAR less of a cancer than our species currently is.

rwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I agree, virtually infinite was my approximation of a definite value that approaches infinity but never reaches there.

When the lights go out (ie when the universe 'ends'), you'd kind of figure that even the synthetically preserved consciousness of any person would be lost. I'd contend that this will happen before anyone gets to the 'end' of things to do.
Fair enough.

Although 'the end' is gonna be a very long time, and there'll be a great deal of time where it'll be 'nothingness' even before it gets to the end....and that's if the human race survives past the next century, lol.

Enjoy today, plan for tomorrow and unburden yourself from any regrets of the past.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:58 AM
Unaffiliated

Quote:
So we should ignore the thread title and start imagining whatever we want according to the limited content of the OP, such as a self destruct button for our synthetic brains, or off switches on our avatars?
The content of the article the OP linked clearly refers to extending life far beyond the usual limits, not creating absolute immortality beyond the heat death of the universe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Title and Subtitle of Article Linked in OP
5 billionaires who want to live forever
Meet five powerful men spending their considerable fortunes to extend life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Second billionaire
Upon death, his body will be cryo-preserved at minus 360 degrees following his death until he can be revived and cured of any health problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Third billionaire
David Murdock does not count on living forever, but he does plan to live to at least age 125.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourth billionaire
Sperling, 91, has since assembled a team of scientists who aim to alleviate human suffering and fear of death -- using everything from therapeutic cloning, stem cell medicine and genetic engineering to enhance human biology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth billionaire
But one organization particularly intrigued him: the Alcor Life Extension Foundation, which uses cryonics or ultra-cold temperatures as soon as possible after legal death to preserve the brain. "Members" are to be reawakened when future medical technologies are developed.

As far as I can tell, these people don't intend to become immortal beings that will live on for eternity after the eventual heat death of the universe. I don't think anyone would ever, ever want that.

Old
04-10-2013, 02:06 AM
Sharpshooter

Quote:
The content of the article the OP linked clearly refers to extending life far beyond the usual limits, not creating absolute immortality beyond the heat death of the universe.

As far as I can tell, these people don't intend to become immortal beings that will live on for eternity after the eventual heat death of the universe. I don't think anyone would ever, ever want that.
Others have clearly commented on expanding one's life for a relatively short time longer. Why not just respond to those posters with your comments and thoughts and not worry about what others are doing?

Old
04-11-2013, 07:42 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking Mode View Post
One would hope in time we could start colonizing the Moon and Mars etc. If we lived much longer lives, and were fit physically and mentally for most of that time, travelling long distance in a spaceship could become viable.