HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD Chat Thread VIII

Closed Thread

Old
05-05-2013, 10:47 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

vCash: 500
Hey I don't want to jump the gun, but when does the MLD start? Now that y'all have got me hooked, I figure I might as well go in a little better informed.

Old
05-05-2013, 11:20 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Hey I don't want to jump the gun, but when does the MLD start?
The earliest would be a week or two after the ATD Final series: in June or early July.

Quote:
Now that y'all have got me hooked, I figure I might as well go in a little better informed.
Great to hear. Start the research anytime. I have a couple of bios in the works and if another team drafts them before I do (not expected given their draft position in previous years), I'll be posting the bios anyways.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Sturminator
I voted for Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
Watching Jonathan Quick in goal is like admiring the most beautiful Van Gogh painting while listening to Radiohead. Which he would get traded in the East!
He's got nothing on Cory Schneider. Five hole only a mother could love.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Velociraptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
He's got nothing on Cory Schneider. Five hole only a mother could love.
Largely in thanks to his mysterious lower body injury, I think the Canucks have a chance to win last nights game with Luongo in net. AV certainly rushed Schneider last night.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:00 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Bates Battaglia wins The Amazing Race with his brother Anthony. He says before the last day of competition that he knows what it feels like to be in the Stanley Cup Finals and lose and he doesn't want that feeling again. Well, he won the million dollars and the title of champion of The Amazing Race, but I'm sure he'd trade that for the Stanley Cup. (He made a career high $935,000 the year before the 2004 lockout). I remember liking his hustling and banging, though a bit erratic, his energy was infectious and fit in on the BBC Line with Brind'amour and Cole.

Old
05-06-2013, 10:12 AM
seventieslord

Hah, I knew VI would be here to praise Marleau after that beautiful tap-in!

Just saw the Calder nominees... ridiculous and ****ing predictable.

Old
05-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post

Just saw the Calder nominees... ridiculous and ****ing predictable.
Imsurprised Huberdeau got nominated when there were some rookies that stepped it up for playoof teams liek Muzzin, Zibanejad, Tarasenko and Brodin

Old
05-06-2013, 03:07 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobnobs View Post
Imsurprised Huberdeau got nominated when there were some rookies that stepped it up for playoof teams liek Muzzin, Zibanejad, Tarasenko and Brodin
The top 6 scoring forwards deserved it more than the forwards you mentioned... but two defensemen deserved it more than any of those 6.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
The top 6 scoring forwards deserved it more than the forwards you mentioned... but two defensemen deserved it more than any of those 6.
Brodin must be one of them who is the other? Zibanejad was a top-6 in ottawa mainly because Spezzas injury.

Old
05-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Brodin must be one of them who is the other? Zibanejad was a top-6 in ottawa mainly because Spezzas injury.
Probably Justin Schultz...I'm a bigger fan of Brodin though

EDIT: Also, I think when he says "top-6" he means top 6 in rookie scoring.

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 05-06-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Probably Justin Schultz...I'm a bigger fan of Brodin though

EDIT: Also, I think when he says "top-6" he means top 6 in rookie scoring.
Zibanejad is top-6 in scoring too

Old
05-06-2013, 05:01 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

The main board on hfboards seems up in arms that Brodin didn't get nominated.

The Calder just keeps losing relevance every year. If the media cares so little about the award that they are basically voting on it as an Art Ross for rookies, I don't know why we should continue caring.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:01 PM
EagleBelfour

The only argument against putting Jonas Brodin in the nomination poll is because he played with one of the very top defenceman in the league. However, you insert Brandon Saad, who played pretty much all year with Jonathan Toews & Marian Hossa. I believe that if you put one in, the other should follow.

With that in mind, this year was a very difficult one to choose the RoY. Make it an 82 games schedule, starting in September, which mean that all those rookies doesn't have 4 months to adapt to North America hockey and play in the AHL, and you probably have a clear Top-3, or at the very least far less cluster at the top of the ranking.

Old
05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

What hockey books would you guys recommend me reading? Like I said, you've guys got me hooked, so I figure I might as well spend some of my free time this summer reading more about the history of hockey.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:15 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Back after Game 2, yeah.... And yet I posted nothing after Game 3 where Marleau was one of the three game stars, scored in his third consecutive game, was praised throughout the game for his defensive responsibilities. He is the only Shark to be a star of all three games. The leading Conn Smythe candidates for the Sharks are Marleau, Niemi and Couture. (Marleau has 7 goals in his last 8 playoff games against Vancouver, a real 'Nucks killer.

Thornton and Boyle have been goats for parts of games, criticized by even the play-by-play guys, but great at other times.

The two biggests gaffs of these playoffs I've seen from Boyle and Karlsson, offensive-minded defensemen who make risky passes through traffic in their own zone that results in goals against. Neither is a great defenseman per se, though both are great offensive defensemen.

Old
05-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Back after Game 2, yeah.... And yet I posted nothing after Game 3 where Marleau was one of the three game stars, scored in his third consecutive game, was praised throughout the game for his defensive responsibilities. He is the only Shark to be a star of all three games. The leading Conn Smythe candidates for the Sharks are Marleau, Niemi and Couture. (Marleau has 7 goals in his last 8 playoff games against Vancouver, a real 'Nucks killer.

Thornton and Boyle have been goats for parts of games, criticized by even the play-by-play guys, but great at other times.

The two biggests gaffs of these playoffs I've seen from Boyle and Karlsson, offensive-minded defensemen who make risky passes through traffic in their own zone that results in goals against. Neither is a great defenseman per se, though both are great offensive defensemen.
Isn't 3 games in a little early for Conn Smythe talk?

Old
05-06-2013, 06:24 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkey Town 18 View Post
Isn't 3 games in a little early for Conn Smythe talk?
Not on the Sharks board. If any franchise has been primed for cup runs the last several years it's San Jose, whose core once again is expected to make it to the Stanley Cup Finals. Another conference finals exit would be considered a disappointment.

Old
05-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Zibanejad is top-6 in scoring too
No he isn't. Huberdeau, Yakupov, Conacher, Gallagher, Galchenyuk, and Saad are the top 6 rookie forwards in scoring with 27pts or more. Zibanejad was 7th and only had 20pts.

EDITED to only include forwards

Last edited by Hawkey Town 18: 05-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old
05-06-2013, 09:10 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Wow, Mike Ribeiro was painful to watch on that powerplay. Great coaching by Torterella and great discipline by the Rangers penalty killers to just give Ribeiro the shot, knowing he wouldn't take it.

Old
05-06-2013, 09:19 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Wow, Mike Ribeiro was painful to watch on that powerplay. Great coaching by Torterella and great discipline by the Rangers penalty killers to just give Ribeiro the shot, knowing he wouldn't take it.
Yeah that was brutal

Old
05-06-2013, 09:35 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Agreed. Though to be fair, Ribeiro is as talented a shot as Thornton, and opposing teams know it. The difference is Thornton is shooting much more these days, not well, but creating rebound opportunities.

The Caps were trying to make too many pretty passes and not enough screens and rebounds off of shots from all angles.

That said, the Caps have the most productive powerplay in the NHL this season and Ribeiro's passing has a lot to do with it.

BTW, an announcer noted that Oates has said he has built the offense around Mike Green this season and the Rangers penalty killers kept playing Green tight, taking away his slapper from the point.

I think the Rangers have been poorly coached for much of this season but that penalty kill was a thing of beauty!

Old
05-07-2013, 10:44 AM
vecens24

Kris Letang is going to be a really interesting case study for the ATD next season. With a (at least) 3, 6, 9 in Norris voting, plus another season where he was the #2 on a Cup winner, he has a stronger record than a lot of guys that get drafted. But does he has the longevity to be considered a spare yet with only about 450 regular season +playoff games played?

Old
05-07-2013, 11:01 AM
hawkman
Senses Workin Overti

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
Kris Letang is going to be a really interesting case study for the ATD next season. With a (at least) 3, 6, 9 in Norris voting, plus another season where he was the #2 on a Cup winner, he has a stronger record than a lot of guys that get drafted. But does he has the longevity to be considered a spare yet with only about 450 regular season +playoff games played?
Good question. Orr only has 657 regular season games played.

Old
05-07-2013, 11:03 AM
seventieslord

I feel somewhat vindicated that even the main board thinks Brodin was an oversight. Btw hobnobs, you know he's a defenseman, right? Anyway, my point was, considering the massive drop off from 6th to 7th in forward scoring, it's inconceivable for anyone "zibanejad and beyond" to get any real consideration.

Eb: the Brodin/saad thing is Apple's and oranges. Points are the biggest thing forwards are judged by since its their primary responsibility. Therefore his points need to be placed in proper context in relation to other forwards. And if he was a certain degree ahead of the rest, the linemates issue could be overlooked (see Skinner, 2011). On the other hand, defensemen should not be just judged by point totals; the correlation between their overall effectiveness and TOI is much more pronounced. Brodin was effective enough to earn 23 minutes per game for a playoff team. Suter made that easier on him, but they still put him out in many tough situations over more experienced players. And what he did was simply much more rare for a rookie. And if you do want to take the Suter effect away from him, be my guest, but he was enough ahead of the pack (muzzin, Hamilton, Schultz, Dillon) to still win. Unlike saad and every other forward, who were not ahead of the pack at all. I agree a longer season would have helped greatly.

Lastly: (@seventieslord) tweeted at 9:50 AM on Tue, May 07, 2013:
How to be a Norris finalist: 1. Be one of the 3 highest scoring defensemen. Being your own team's #1 optional.Superstar teammates irrelevant

Last edited by seventieslord: 05-07-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old
05-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Hawkey Town 18

Can't believe Letang is a Norris finalist...he missed over a quarter of the season, and while he his offensive game is great, his defensive game is nothing special for a #1. If you're going to miss that much time and still be nominated you need to be elite both ways.

PS: Really I can believe it, the writers have made it perfectly clear they value offense way too heavily.

Closed Thread