almost Flames

Closed Thread

Old
04-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Badger Bob

vCash: 500
almost Flames

Players, who could've been acquired by the Flames but weren't:

Eric Duhatschek wrote that Sean Burke had been offered to Calgary on a number of occasions.

Martin Skoula was one of the PTNL (obviously, Robyn Regehr was the other) as part of the Theo Fleury to Colorado mult-player deal.

Jay McKee was offered in the Chris Drury to Buffalo trade, but Daryl Sutter insisted on Rhett Warrener.

Read this one on another HF (can anybody confirm?) that Al Coates really wanted Todd Harvey, but ended up with Jarome Iginla in the Joe Nieuwendyk to Dallas deal.

Last edited by Badger Bob: 04-20-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old
04-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Flames Draft Watcher

Flames had a deal worked out with Nashville to trade up to #3 in the '98 draft (to select Brad Stuart) if Nashville couldn't get Legwand. But obviously they ended up trading up to get Legwand.

Old
04-20-2005, 11:33 AM
MrMastodonFarm*

Darcy Tucker was rumoured to be coming here even when he was still in Montreal. I remember he was talked about when we aquired Bure.

Old
04-20-2005, 12:46 PM
Ice Cream Man
Size? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
Darcy Tucker was rumoured to be coming here even when he was still in Montreal. I remember he was talked about when we aquired Bure.
Also, there was that flying rumour about Savard to Toronto for Tucker straight up a few seasons back.

Old
04-20-2005, 12:55 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
During the Bure trade rumors, these are some I remember reading in the Herald.

To Florida for Niedermayer (was basically speculated from day 1, it really just turned into a matter of time).

To Chicago for Daze

To Toronto for Korolev and McCabe

As for other almost Flames, Sergei Samsonov can't go unmentioned. The infamous '97 Draft day decision as well as Morris for Samsonov rumors with Boston.

Old
04-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Badger Bob

Jarome Iginla straight-up to Buffalo for Michael Peca was, apparently, close to consummation. It's not perfectly clear who scotched the deal, Button or Regier.

Old
04-20-2005, 01:49 PM
kolanos

The rumours were abundant about Drury heading to San Jose. Sturm being the main asset coming the other way. Apparently Sutter also wanted Hannan (prior to his breakout year) and threw in a 2nd pick (the same one that SJ ended up getting anyway for Kiprusoff), and negotiations fell apart. Talks between the Flames and the Sharks went on for quite a while (atleast as far as the papers were concerned), they may have been discussing Kiprusoff as far back as then (speculation).

Old
04-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Jarome Iginla straight-up to Buffalo for Michael Peca was, apparently, close to consummation. It's not perfectly clear who scotched the deal, Button or Regier.
I was always under the belief that it was Morris for Peca (I think Morris was a holdout as well) and that Regier wanted Iginla which nixed the talks. Or perhaps it was the otherway around (offering Iginla but wanting Morris) and Buton's early stuborness on breaking up the "Future Four" of Morris, Lydman, Gauthier and Regehr ending the talks.

Old
04-20-2005, 03:00 PM
King_Brown

The one I remeber is Joel Otto for Alexi Kovalev was offered but we insisted on Tony Amonte and the deal died.

I heard about Eric Lindros also before, I don't know if anyone made it up or not, but it was going to be a ton of players shipped for him.

Old
04-20-2005, 03:54 PM
HuskyFlames

Wasn't there rumor last year (at the deadline) about a deal in porgress for Olli Jokinen?

Old
04-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Phanuthier*

Morris apperently rumoured to go for 1st overall pick (Bouwmeester). Not sure why Florida would go anywhere near that, though.

Warraner over McKee? I'd personally ahve taken McKee.

Old
04-20-2005, 07:27 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier

Why? Yes, he is younger BUT he has has also more injury prone the last 2 seasons. It is bad enough to get 1 guy back in a trade (after a serious injury) than to receive 2 guys who both had serious injuries in the same season. That would be extremely risky. Plus McKee doesn't have the same leadership and experience Warrener does. Warrener was the man last year that brought the defense together, I don't see McKee having the same presence as Warrener. Yes, McKee hits harder but that is all he has over Warrener.

Old
04-20-2005, 08:32 PM
Badger Bob

Jay McKee's profile got raised a bit, because he was invited to the the Team Canada training camp, at the Saddledome, in preparation for '02 Olympics.

McKee always performed at his best when he was paired off with Rhett Warrener, and wasn't quite the same for a while after Warrener left. However, he seemed to have improved after the arrival of Brad Brown.

We've probably mentioned this before but Warrener has the unique distinction of being a member of a losing team in the Finals, the first year he plays on a new team (Florida, Buffalo & Calgary).

-----

Wasn't Peter Worrell's name bandied about as a possible toughguy, before the signing of Oliwa?

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
Wasn't there rumor last year (at the deadline) about a deal in porgress for Olli Jokinen?
That would've been ironic, considering Jokinen once griped, after losing to the Flames, that they were a bunch of AHLers.

Old
04-20-2005, 08:32 PM
soilwork2004

i love these trade speculation talks

my favourite that i always contribute is theo fleury for the pick that got patrick marleau.

Old
04-20-2005, 09:29 PM
MainFlame

I remember Joe Nieuwendyk was rumoured to go to New York for Ray Ferraro and Dan Cloutier.

Lindros was rumoured to come to Calgary for like half the team.

Kind of wish Calgary got the deal with San Jose done.

Hannon/Rathje + Sturm > Warrener + Reinprecht

Old
04-20-2005, 09:58 PM
kolanos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
I don't know why you would. But you're welcome to your opinion.

I think McKee has demonstrated that he was much more dependent on Warrener than the other way around (since Warrener's departure). In fact, I would argue that McKee only slowed Warrener down, and that this season Warrener proved that being paired with a more offensive-oriented defender can make for a very potent duo.

Warrener is easily one of the most underrated defensive defenceman in the league. I have seen few defenders in the NHL that are more reliable than he, the guy just doesn't make mistakes in his own zone.

Old
04-20-2005, 11:06 PM
Michalek

From top of my head:
Drury for Sturm and something else was a really strong rumour
Drury to Buffalo at draft day for Boynton and 1st rounder was the strong one too , but since Nilsson ( player that Sutter wanted) was taken earlier deal didnt went through ( Its not a fact , just rumour)

Saprykin for C.Brown at last deadline and Hegman from FLA in package with Nilson were 2 rumours that I heard of.

Old
04-21-2005, 06:18 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainFlame
I remember Joe Nieuwendyk was rumoured to go to New York for Ray Ferraro and Dan Cloutier.
Further proof that some of the best trades are the ones not made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainFlame
Lindros was rumoured to come to Calgary for like half the team.
A Flyers fan mentioned that one on this board, not too long ago. It was supposedly a choice of:

Nieuwendyk or Reichel and MacInnis or Suter

with maybe the Calgary 1st rounder tossed in.

From the looks of it, the Flames were never big players in the talks. The Flyers and Rangers were already dropping their drawers.

Last edited by Badger Bob: 04-21-2005 at 09:37 AM.
Old
04-21-2005, 02:27 PM
RecklessCaution

Surprised Selanne hasn't been mentioned yet.

If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a picture of Selanne in a Flames jersey after signing with us.

Old
04-21-2005, 02:33 PM
ukstipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michalek
From top of my head:
Drury for Sturm and something else was a really strong rumour
Drury to Buffalo at draft day for Boynton and 1st rounder was the strong one too , but since Nilsson ( player that Sutter wanted) was taken earlier deal didnt went through ( Its not a fact , just rumour)

Saprykin for C.Brown at last deadline and Hegman from FLA in package with Nilson were 2 rumours that I heard of.
Sutter wanted Nilsson? that might be the hardest of these rumours to believe.

Old
04-21-2005, 04:18 PM
Phanuthier*

Don't worry, I know Warraner's game enough. And yes, it does have more to do with perfering potential and age vs. experiance and leadership. Personal opinion though.

Old
04-21-2005, 06:51 PM
OMA

I seem to recall The Panthers former GM talking about a deal that would have sent Bure and a Calgary First Round pick for Roberto Luongo right around the draft in 2001.

There was also a rumor that had Bure going to Detroit straight up for Slava Kozlov, but Scotty Bowman intervined and put that on hold.

There was that aforemntioned Iginla for Peca mess. I seem to remember it being Button offering Bure + for Peca. Regeir countering with Peca for Iginla + and Button laughing at him hysterically. That's how i remember Duhastschek ( i think it was him..) reporting it.

An older one was the Nieuwyndyk deal that brought us Iginla. After that trade was made, Brett Hull (or somebody in the St.Louis organization..) said that the Blues had made a much better offer than the Iginla offer. Its always been speculated that the main part of what was coming back to Calgary was Chris Pronger.

Old
04-21-2005, 07:54 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
I seem to recall The Panthers former GM talking about a deal that would have sent Bure and a Calgary First Round pick for Roberto Luongo right around the draft in 2001.
Was it Bure? I remember the Flames did come close to landing Luongo that year, but we never knew what the pieces were.

Old
04-22-2005, 06:16 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
There was also a rumor that had Bure going to Detroit straight up for Slava Kozlov, but Scotty Bowman intervined and put that on hold.
Another one later was Marc Savard, stright up, for Mathieu Dandenault. Think somebody else on the Red Wings blue line got hurt, which put an end to these discussions.

-----

Weren't there discussions with the Rangers about a package centering around Derek Morris for Petr Nedved? (Thank goodness that didn't happen.)

Old
04-22-2005, 09:04 AM
ukstipe

any of the offers for Savard look good in retrospect. a friggin 4th rounder would have been good

Closed Thread