Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

almost Flames

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Hunter74

vCash: 500
Gauthier for almost any player that ever suited up in the NHL. I dont think any other Flame player has been the subject to so many trade rumours as Gauthier.

Wish we would of grabbed Loungo when we had the chance.

Old
04-22-2005, 10:57 AM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Was it Bure? I remember the Flames did come close to landing Luongo that year, but we never knew what the pieces were.
I remember at the time, the papers likened the deal of Parrish and Kvasha to Savard and Wilm. I assume it would have taken more (but you never know with Mad Mike), but I guess Savard was at the centre of another deal.

Old
04-22-2005, 12:04 PM
RecklessCaution

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMA
There was that aforemntioned Iginla for Peca mess. I seem to remember it being Button offering Bure + for Peca. Regeir countering with Peca for Iginla + and Button laughing at him hysterically. That's how i remember Duhastschek ( i think it was him..) reporting it.
According to CTV Sportsnet, Button offered Iginla for Peca straight up and Regeir turned it down.

Old
04-22-2005, 01:24 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecklessCaution
According to CTV Sportsnet, Button offered Iginla for Peca straight up and Regeir turned it down.
Don't believe everything you hear.

Old
04-22-2005, 06:52 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
I heard that from a different source as well

Old
04-24-2005, 12:21 PM
FLAMESFAN

vCash: 50
Quote:
Surprised Selanne hasn't been mentioned yet.

If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a picture of Selanne in a Flames jersey after signing with us.
Yes! I remember when that happened. The Jets thought they could sign him for less if no other teams offered him a contract, but the Flames did, forcing the Jets to up the ante. I remember my dad was pretty PO'd at my team! (family rivalry). Anyways, since then Selanne always killed the Flames when the Jets played them. Whenever I played hockey on videogames I always traded for Selanne, he just seemed to be such a good fit!

Old
04-25-2005, 05:30 PM
zamboni

I recall last season Sutter really wanted to acquire Harvey, but it didn't happen due to his salary.

Old
04-27-2005, 07:26 AM
Badger Bob

Al Coates was prepared to reacquire Doug Gilmour from Chicago "for the fans." The Blackhawks were looking to unload his salary. This would've been strictly a PR move, not to mention an organizational admission of the huge blunder of sending him to Toronto. This would've been the type of deal that a playoff team would do right before the trade deadline. The Sabres did exactly that.

Old
04-27-2005, 12:39 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
In NY, we heard it the other way around. The Sabres asked for Iginla in return for Peca, and the Flames essentially hung the phone up.

The year that the Flames drafted Saprykin, the Isles and Flames apparently had some conversation about the pick that Calgary eventually traded to the Ranger$. I recall hearing that the Flames wanted Brad Isbister in return (who, at the point, was still a stud powerforward prospect). I've also heard that Luongo's name came up at the time, but I'm less convinced about that issue.

Old
04-27-2005, 02:10 PM
Badger Bob

Oh, almost forgot this one: Saprykin to Toronto for Antropov. Think it was another situation that somebody got hurt, and it scuttled the deal. Somebody must've believed the hyped created by Bobby Clarke asking for Antropov, in any deal involving Lindros. As it appears, Sappy has the higher ceiling.

Old
04-27-2005, 04:50 PM
King_Brown

Sappy is great, were going to miss him here, he really turned his game up during games 5,6,7 of the Finals.

Old
04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Brown
Sappy is great, were going to miss him here, he really turned his game up during games 5,6,7 of the Finals.
We're not going to miss him if he doesn't ever dedicate himself to getting into top notch shape. That was his problem here and what holds him back from being an impact NHLer.

Old
04-27-2005, 09:29 PM
King_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher
We're not going to miss him if he doesn't ever dedicate himself to getting into top notch shape. That was his problem here and what holds him back from being an impact NHLer.
He played well under uncle Sutter. I got respect for you as a poster though, but I don't think he would of ever been a impact player. Im glad we got Langkow.

Old
04-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Phanuthier*

Quote:
Other then those 3 games, he played like crap though.

Old
04-28-2005, 12:05 AM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatman Phanutier
Other then those 3 games, he played like crap though.
You have to give Sappy credit for a few huge hits that really helped the Flames. Injuring Chelios and a few others (can't remmber who, but I am sure he injured 1 or 2 other players). With the right development and motivation I think Sappy could still be a #2 line player or a solid #3 player.

Old
04-28-2005, 12:58 AM
King_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames Fan
You have to give Sappy credit for a few huge hits that really helped the Flames. Injuring Chelios and a few others (can't remmber who, but I am sure he injured 1 or 2 other players). With the right development and motivation I think Sappy could still be a #2 line player or a solid #3 player.
I agree with this man.

Smacking Chelios was great, a highlight.

Old
04-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Badger Bob

Quote:
were going to miss him here
Do you wig out at single incident of real or potential roster turnover?

Old
04-28-2005, 09:22 PM
FlyersFan10*

I remember back in 1991/1992 there was talk of a MacInnis/Tocchet deal. However, Philadelphia also wanted a big centerman and were looking to expand the deal so that Joel Otto would be a part of the package. When that didn't happen, it wasn't long after that the Flyers sent Tocchet to Pittsburgh for Mark Recchi.

Old
04-29-2005, 10:13 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:

Good thing for the Flames, Button is bagging groceries right now.

Old
04-30-2005, 08:49 AM
pepchew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger Bob
Al Coates was prepared to reacquire Doug Gilmour from Chicago "for the fans." The Blackhawks were looking to unload his salary. This would've been strictly a PR move, not to mention an organizational admission of the huge blunder of sending him to Toronto. This would've been the type of deal that a playoff team would do right before the trade deadline. The Sabres did exactly that.
Don't forget the huge blunder itself: Gilmour for Leeman instead of Yzerman -if you can believe it.

Old
04-30-2005, 03:32 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolanos
The rumours were abundant about Drury heading to San Jose. Sturm being the main asset coming the other way. Apparently Sutter also wanted Hannan (prior to his breakout year) and threw in a 2nd pick (the same one that SJ ended up getting anyway for Kiprusoff), and negotiations fell apart. Talks between the Flames and the Sharks went on for quite a while (atleast as far as the papers were concerned), they may have been discussing Kiprusoff as far back as then (speculation).
As a sharks fan, let me be the first to say thank god this rumored Sturm/Hannan deal didn't go through. I don't mind the Kiprusoff deal so much, because Kipper wouldn't have flourished in SJ, and I would still rather have Nabokov over Kiprusoff (Kipper need to have another strong NHL season to prove himself. The World CUp was so close to the end of last season that he could have had some "residual streak" left in him.

Besides, you don't really want Sturm or Hannan anyway.

Old
04-30-2005, 03:51 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis
As a sharks fan, let me be the first to say thank god this rumored Sturm/Hannan deal didn't go through. I don't mind the Kiprusoff deal so much, because Kipper wouldn't have flourished in SJ, and I would still rather have Nabokov over Kiprusoff (Kipper need to have another strong NHL season to prove himself. The World CUp was so close to the end of last season that he could have had some "residual streak" left in him.

Besides, you don't really want Sturm or Hannan anyway.
A Sturm - Langkow - Iginla would be not a bad top line at all.

Old
04-30-2005, 11:28 PM
Phaneuf*

Sutter has a really good eye if that Hannen report is true.

Old
05-01-2005, 02:48 AM
King_Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf
Sutter has a really good eye if that Hannen report is true.
Considering he was the one that drafted him in San Jose. Plus he took Dion Phanuef, and gems in the later rounds. Sutter is pretty much the architect of that San Jose team there, he beat his own team in the Western Finals last year. Sutter is the man.

Old
05-03-2005, 03:27 PM
Badger Bob

Before Matthew Lombardi got drafted, it was believed that Craig Button and the draft team were preparing to re-draft Jarret Stoll. It's not commonly known if this was to sign and develop him or attempt to trade him again. Since there was already a similar (but older) player in the system, Blair Betts, it seemed unnecessary. All things being equal, Stoll probably has a higher upside than Betts. However, since the Oilers nabbed Stoll, and the Flames retaliated by snapping up Lombardi, who'd been in a similar situation to Stoll's, it could be viewed as a de facto trade between Edmonton and Calgary. Most of us probably agree that it worked out for the better.

Closed Thread