HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Justin Schultz's "Return" to Anaheim

Closed Thread

Old
04-08-2013, 08:21 PM
MrWangz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
Yeah not true.
Oh really?
Look at where Anaheim is right now in the standings.
Now look at Edmonton
More specifically edmontons "defense" hahaha

Old
04-08-2013, 08:21 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
definetly no hippy. Just believe in honoring committments to those that believe in you.
I believe in you

Old
04-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Massive boon? hmm Anaheim is cruising to the playoffs and Edmonton for all their hype are treading water..again. These types of things happen in pro sports.
Yeah it is a massive boon Edmonton got a top defensive prospect for "free". How exactly is it a negative that the Oilers got Schultz?

Old
04-08-2013, 08:23 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckaroosky View Post
Gene, even though he's a sharks fan, has a bit more character than to lie about being committed and then skip out for some extra money.

And he's probably a hippy as well... They hate money.
Posts like this make me think:

**** They should have signed him before then

Get his name in writing instead of sitting on your thumbs waiting

Do businessmen use handshakes in the court of law? No, they use contracts.

Extra money? Yes, a difference of potentially 8 million is "extra money"

You know what, every player that says they want to play in a certain city during one of their 2000 interviews MUST sign for a discount come FA time and cannot leave for better options. After all they said they love the team. How can they have such bad character to sign in a different place for a better life and a little "extra money"

By the same token: Teams cant trade players, after all they have to honor a committment. Oh its a business you say? Teams are legally allowed to trade players? well FA's are legally allowed to leave. How many tiimes do you hear a GM praise a player saying how he wants them to stay on the team before shipping them off. Well goes both ways unfortunatly

Last edited by topchowda: 04-08-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Uber Coca

Couple of boos here and there. That's about what should be expected.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWangz View Post
Oh really?
Look at where Anaheim is right now in the standings.
Now look at Edmonton
More specifically edmontons "defense" hahaha
Yeah the Ducks higher in the standings than the Oilers. Good job captain.

But that does not reflect on what type of player Schultz is. Oilers would be even worse off without him. And the Ducks would be better with him on the team of that I have little doubt.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:29 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Why would the ducks care? JS is nothing more than a forward who plays d. He is awful in his own zone. Young O skilled player who can't play a lick of D. The ducks should be happy to face him. Easy pass to the net when he is out there.

I thought he was going to have a solid two way game but I haven't seen that at all yet.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

You know what, every player that says they want to play in a certain city MUST sign for a discount come FA time and cannot leave for better options. After all they said they love the team. How can they have such bad character to sign in a different place for a better life and a little "extra money"

Interesting proposition.

Personally, I think we should have chained him to the desk and had Murray standing over him with a barstool to force him to sign. But Im open to suggestions on ways we could have forced him to sign. Maybe Getzlaf with a twig in the lockerroom, who knows which would have been more accurate.

Seems like only some Oilers fans trying to defend a punk kids actions. Whatever you need to tell yourself.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:

You know what, every player that says they want to play in a certain city during one of their 2000 interviews MUST sign for a discount come FA time and cannot leave for better options. After all they said they love the team. How can they have such bad character to sign in a different place for a better life and a little "extra money"
He would have had to turn pro in order for them to even discuss a contract..he didn't want to leave school and the Ducks didn't make him. Its not so cut and dried when it involves the NCAA. If he had signed a contract with Anaheim...this would make him a pro and no longer eligible to play NCAA hockey like he wanted.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:31 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Interesting proposition.

Personally, I think we should have chained him to the desk and had Murray standing over him with a barstool to force him to sign. But Im open to suggestions on ways we could have forced him to sign. Maybe Getzlaf with a twig in the lockerroom, who knows which would have been more accurate.

Seems like only some Oilers fans trying to defend a punk kids actions. Whatever you need to tell yourself.
No, read any of my posts, I am not defending the individual action of Mr. Justin Schultz. I am referring to ignorant posts that generalize a certain situation. Yes this situation involved the Oilers and Schultz. But I would defend it if it was J. Schultz to the Flames or canucks

Old
04-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
I believe in you
One of the few that do

Old
04-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Getz2perry

Quote:
He would have had to turn pro in order for them to even discuss a contract..he didn't want to leave school and the Ducks didn't make him. Its not so cut and dried when it involves the NCAA. If he had signed a contract with Anaheim...this would make him a pro and no longer eligible to play NCAA hockey like he wanted.
Damn the ducks for letting him go to school!

Old
04-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
Damn the ducks for letting him go to school!
What a dick move by those damn Ducks.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:36 PM
SatanwasaSlovak

He's like Cushman's father in Jerry Maguire. "Words stronger than oak", 5 seconds later "Show me the money!"

Old
04-08-2013, 08:37 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
No, read any of my posts, I am not defending the individual action of Mr. Justin Schultz. I am referring to ignorant posts that generalize a certain situation. Yes this situation involved the Oilers and Schultz. But I would defend it if it was J. Schultz to the Flames or canucks
Dat contradiction.

The kid lied, led on the Ducks for two years and then bolted when he had the opportunity. Ignore the facts if you want, I don't really care, you wouldn't be the only one.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:39 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:

By the same token: Teams cant trade players, after all they have to honor a committment. Oh its a business you say? Teams are legally allowed to trade players. Well goes both ways unfortunatly
Have you not read the previous posts regarding the legal issues with a college player signing a pro contract? Or are you selectively reading posts again... Picking out the ones that agree its your notion and ignoring that which disprove it?

Teams that have a player on a NMC or a NTC have said that they are committed to that player and cannot move them without consent. If you don't like the idea that you can be moved you aren't forced to sign the contract as a player and you can go elsewhere. Otherwise, you should expect that as a player you may be moved.

For the Schultz case there was no way to have him legally commit to the organization. So your comparison between draftees and teams aren't really comparable. They just believed that he was a man if his word and kept giving him what he wanted (time to finish school etc.). He bailed and essentially spit in the face of the organization who made trades around him honoring his word all before he even played 1 NHL game.

If an actual NHL player did the same thing to another organization I'd tell the fans too boo the **** out of them... Even if said player was on my team.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:43 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Dat contradiction.

The kid lied, led on the Ducks for two years and then bolted when he had the opportunity. Ignore the facts if you want, I don't really care, you wouldn't be the only one.
No, You are generalizing me as an Oiler fan defending a team member, hinting at homerism. And that is not the point I was trying to defend

I am defending a college FA eligible to sign with any team he wants to. And arguing with some guy saying he must honor a commitment.

I am saying, as a general opinion, I will not fault a hockey player, whos profession and livelihood is hockey to want money. And a GM, a businessman whos career is dealing with contracts, has a bit a blame for not signing a player to a legally binding contract. I will NEVER criticize someone for following the money in a legal fashion. But if they commit fraud or break a legally binding contract for $$$ they are to fault.

Maybe it was immoral for Schultz (or any FA) to do this. But morals are limited in the hockey and business world. Ask Jeff Carter how he feels about Phillys morals.

I will defend play X in these situations, no matter the name or team. But not merely defending J. schultz because I am a homer

Last edited by topchowda: 04-08-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 08:43 PM
duckaroosky
So sayeth Duckthulu

Quote:
Interesting proposition.

I knew we should've exchanged promise rings with him.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:44 PM
Dominate Kesler

To be fair, he left Anahiem, not exactly a hockey hotbed.

The fans, who show up, will not likely give a damn.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:46 PM
Zoombie

Quote:
No, You are generalizing me as an Oiler fan defending a team member, hinting at homerism. And that is not the point I was trying to defend

I am defending a college FA eligible to sign with any team he wants to. And arguing with some guy saying he must honor a commitment.

I am saying, as a general opinion, I will not fault a hockey player, whos profession and livelihood is hockey to want money. And a GM, a businessman whos career is dealing with contracts, has a bit a blame for not signing a player to a legally binding contract.

I will defend play X in these situations, no matter the name or team. But not merely defending J. schultz because I am a homer
He's not a typical college FA though. He sneakily dropped out of school right at the end so as to become a UFA. Did the league not make a "Shultz rule" in the new CBA? Thats how 'normal' what he did was.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
I knew we should've exchanged promise rings with him.
Should have Jonas Brothered him when we had the chance.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:50 PM
IBleedOil247

I hope Duck fans boo Nick Schultz

Old
04-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Derp Kassian

He sure made the right choice lol what an idiot.

Old
04-08-2013, 08:52 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
He's not a typical college FA though. He sneakily dropped out of school right at the end so as to become a UFA. Did the league not make a "Shultz rule" in the new CBA? Thats how 'normal' what he did was.
No in fact they didnt patch that up I believe.

So what he did was excerisize a legal option he had at his diposal to better his life. It happens every day in all walks of life.

Come July 1st, teams can sign college dmen Kyle Bigos if he goes unsigned. Hes maintained he wants to play with the Oilers but is still unsigned. If we lose him I will mad at Tambo but I wont waste a box of kleenex crying over it. Hes legally allowed to do so

Last edited by topchowda: 04-08-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old
04-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedOil247 View Post
I hope Duck fans boo Nick Schultz

I hope their pairing causes all kinds of trouble for the fans who don't know anything about it but wan't to join in on the booing.

Closed Thread