Bret screwed Bret 14 27.45%
It was a work 11 21.57%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-20-2013, 04:11 PM
Megahab

vCash: 500
The Montreal Screwjob

Couldn't find any past topics on this. So who screwed Bret? Seems like some people still believe it was all a work so I left that as a poll option as well.

I think Bret Hart had every right to refuse to drop the belt to Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series 1997. Michaels previously said he wouldn't put Hart over, after Hart said he wouldn't mind putting Michaels over. So why should Hart put over a guy that disrespected him?

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:24 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Best work in the history of the business.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Megahab

I just don't see how it could be a work. Sure, it is kind of suspicious that a documentary team was following the whole thing and was allowed backstage (Wrestling with Shadows documentary). But what was the payoff for all of this? Like what was the reason to come up with this work?

People say that this was what created the Mr. McMahon character, but I think that even without the Montreal screwjob, the Mr. McMahon character would have been just as successful. Also, why would Bret Hart agree to get screwed like that? As great of a career as he had, the Montreal screwjob has become what he has been most remembered for.

And why would they wait until 2010 to bring him back?

Old
04-20-2013, 05:15 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

It's all a work!

Joking/conspiracy aside, I like Bret... but he is 100% to blame and I completely side with the promoter.

Drop the title. It is Vince's title, Vince's PPV, Vince's company, Vince's paydays.

Yeah he had limited creative control, but that is just not how you do business and Bret, especially being the son of a promoter, should have known better. Bret Hart was a complete mark for himself and that is why Vince had to do what was best for his company and the business as a whole.

It was more so that Bret didn't want to lose in Canada in his last match above Bret losing to Shawn because Bret has said he would have rather dropped it to Shawn or even Shamrock in America.. or (his preference) just laying down the title the next night and fore fitting it leaving a WWF/Canadian hero.

"I don't want to drop the title in Canada!" You kidding me? Dropping the title the next night by just relinquishing it was not an option because nobody trusted Bischoff. Had Bret shown up on Nitro with the WWF Championship that next night... we would be talking about this weeks addition of WCW Nitro instead of WWE Raw. It would have been that devastating a blow because WWF were on their heels and this was months before Vince became the best heel ever, SCSA took off into another stratosphere, and The Rock was a complete year away from being a draw.

Vince had to pull a last resort card out of his pocket for the good of his business because if Bret was not interested in the scenario of dropping the WWF title in Canada... then he's not dropping the WWF title. Bret refuses to drop the title under any circumstance in Montreal and Bret's last night in the company is in Montreal... so what is Vince to do?

The only thing Vince did wrong was not take the title off of Bret the second he let Bret negotiate with WCW while he was still under a WWF contract.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 04-20-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 06:18 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
I'd agree with you, RE, but wasn't it confirmed on both sides that they agreed to a DQ finish where Bret loses but retains? If so, the promoter is completely at fault. You don't tell someone one thing and then stab them in the back like that.

As for the final sentence, Vince gave the okay to Bret to negotiate with WCW because he knew he could not compete in a bidding war.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:37 PM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

In before Martini

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:51 PM
The Shockmaster
In 500 ft, Belie Dat

inb4 Martini.

The Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:56 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

It wasn't that Bret didn't want to lose in Canada, it was that Bret didn't want to lose to SHAWN in Canada. It was almost all about Bret not wanting to drop the belt to Shawn due to Shawn not showing him enough respect. It all stemmed from a backstage incident where Bret told Shawn he'd have no problem putting him over, and Shawn replied with "I appreciate that, but I just want you to know I'm not willing to do the same for you", and from that point on Bret was like "**** him then".

Bret was willing to drop the belt to anybody else, regardless of whether it was in Canada or not. Steve Austin and Ken Shamrock were 2 names that he suggested to Vince, involving a scenario where Bret would retain against Shawn at SS but lose to one of the two mentioned above the next night in Ottawa, but Vince was adamant that the belt go on Shawn. The day of (or day before) the Survivor Series, Vince and Bret agreed that the finish would end up being a DQ, but from the beginning, Vince had fully intended on screwing Bret out of the title.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 07:06 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
I'd agree with you, RE, but wasn't it confirmed on both sides that they agreed to a DQ finish where Bret loses but retains? If so, the promoter is completely at fault. You don't tell someone one thing and then stab them in the back like that.

As for the final sentence, Vince gave the okay to Bret to negotiate with WCW because he knew he could not compete in a bidding war.
I don't believe there was a bidding war because Vince had Bret signed to a Luongo contract in early 97. Vince wanted to get out from under his contract because the companies finances were not the best. Vince letting him negotiate with Bischoff was his way of being nice to Bret so he could get even more money (he still would have gotten a truck load of money, but WCW would looked at it as "stealing" Bret so they sweetened the deal even more)

About the finish: What is Vince gonna tell Bret? "Bret, you either 1) Drop the title or B) I will screw you over."

My interpretation of it was that it was presented a number of ways to Bret that he would lose the title in Montreal. Bret kept saying no to any and all scenarios that involved him dropping the title to Michaels in Canada.

At that point, Bret forced Vince's hand because SS97 was to be his last night and Bret was not willing to do business (and there was the risk of Bret himself showing up on Nitro with the title or Bischoff leading off Nitro saying he had signed the current WWF Champion, either would have killed WWF's image). By Bret not doing business, he practically gave Vince the knife to stab him in the back with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
It wasn't that Bret didn't want to lose in Canada, it was that Bret didn't want to lose to SHAWN in Canada. It was almost all about Bret not wanting to drop the belt to Shawn due to Shawn not showing him enough respect. It all stemmed from a backstage incident where Bret told Shawn he'd have no problem putting him over, and Shawn replied with "I appreciate that, but I just want you to know I'm not willing to do the same for you", and from that point on Bret was like "**** him then".

Bret was willing to drop the belt to anybody else, regardless of whether it was in Canada or not. Steve Austin and Ken Shamrock were 2 names that he suggested to Vince, involving a scenario where Bret would retain against Shawn at SS but lose to one of the two mentioned above the next night in Ottawa, but Vince was adamant that the belt go on Shawn. The day of (or day before) the Survivor Series, Vince and Bret agreed that the finish would end up being a DQ, but from the beginning, Vince had fully intended on screwing Bret out of the title.
Ah, I was getting my names mixed up. You're right, it was Autsin and Shamrock instead of Michaels.

However, my stance remains:

I am sorry, but it doesn't matter if the boss wants you to drop the title to Shawn Michaels, Savio Vega, or Phineas Godwinn... you drop the belt.

Now, I would blame Vince if the finish presented to Bret from Day 1 was that they were gonna do a double DQ without any talk of him dropping the title in Montreal because that would be wrong. However, to my knowledge that was not at all the case because Bret was being difficult and said no.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 04-20-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 08:08 PM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
It's all a work!

Joking/conspiracy aside, I like Bret... but he is 100% to blame and I completely side with the promoter.

Drop the title. It is Vince's title, Vince's PPV, Vince's company, Vince's paydays.

Yeah he had limited creative control, but that is just not how you do business and Bret, especially being the son of a promoter, should have known better. Bret Hart was a complete mark for himself and that is why Vince had to do what was best for his company and the business as a whole.

It was more so that Bret didn't want to lose in Canada in his last match above Bret losing to Shawn because Bret has said he would have rather dropped it to Shawn or even Shamrock in America.. or (his preference) just laying down the title the next night and fore fitting it leaving a WWF/Canadian hero.

"I don't want to drop the title in Canada!" You kidding me? Dropping the title the next night by just relinquishing it was not an option because nobody trusted Bischoff. Had Bret shown up on Nitro with the WWF Championship that next night... we would be talking about this weeks addition of WCW Nitro instead of WWE Raw. It would have been that devastating a blow because WWF were on their heels and this was months before Vince became the best heel ever, SCSA took off into another stratosphere, and The Rock was a complete year away from being a draw.

Vince had to pull a last resort card out of his pocket for the good of his business because if Bret was not interested in the scenario of dropping the WWF title in Canada... then he's not dropping the WWF title. Bret refuses to drop the title under any circumstance in Montreal and Bret's last night in the company is in Montreal... so what is Vince to do?

The only thing Vince did wrong was not take the title off of Bret the second he let Bret negotiate with WCW while he was still under a WWF contract.
This view that Bret Hart wasn't willing to do business sounds like the WWE version of the screwjob. The WWE version is that Bret Hart wasn't willing to lose the title to anyone in Canada, which is not true at all. Bret Hart was willing to drop the title but just not to Michaels in Montreal. Michaels had disrespected him many times. How can anyone expect Hart to put over a guy that disrespected him so much?

Hart was even willing to drop the title on Raw to Michaels (which was in Ottawa, Canada) as long as Michaels put him over in Montreal first. You can't expect Hart to just get on his knees and do whatever he's told.

Not only was Hart willing to lose on the Raw after Survivor Series, but he was willing to lose on any other date after Survivor Series. He wouldn't have been able to show up on Nitro with the title because his WCW contract didn't start until December 1st, 1997. The best WCW could have done is have Bischoff announce that WCW had signed the WWF Champion. And if even Bret Hart did show up on Nitro with the WWF Title (which, I repeat, could not have happened) I doubt that would have had so much impact that we would be talking about this week's edition of WCW Nitro instead of Raw. WCW didn't know what they were doing at that point, which was proven when Bret Hart actually did show up in WCW and they booked him as a midcarder for two years, even after coming off probably the biggest news story in wrestling history up to that point.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:11 PM
Megahab

Quote:
I am sorry, but it doesn't matter if the boss wants you to drop the title to Shawn Michaels, Savio Vega, or Phineas Godwinn... you drop the belt.

Now, I would blame Vince if the finish presented to Bret from Day 1 was that they were gonna do a double DQ without any talk of him dropping the title in Montreal because that would be wrong. However, to my knowledge that was not at all the case because Bret was being difficult and said no.
Bret Hart said he was willing to drop the title to anyone, literally anyone, but Michaels. If I was Bret Hart, there's no way I'm putting over a guy that disrespected me so much, unless I didn't respect myself. Michaels was an ******* in those days. Hart even said he'd drop the belt to Steve Lombardi.

I hate this argument of "your boss told you to do something, so you do it". Come on, you gotta stand up for yourself sometimes.

Old
04-20-2013, 08:14 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
To be fair, Bret always did the job that was asked of him, missed just one event due to flight delays, and was the guy that never got anybody injured in the ring. When someone who held the belt wasn't working out/flopping, they put the belt back on Hart because they knew he could do it. Was it much to ask for what Bret asked? I don't believe so. Selfish, perhaps a little but when you give everything you got to a company and ask for that in return, I think it could have been given.

I just don't like the backstabbing portion of this story, especially when it's the promoter.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 08:46 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
Bret Hart said he was willing to drop the title to anyone, literally anyone, but Michaels. If I was Bret Hart, there's no way I'm putting over a guy that disrespected me so much, unless I didn't respect myself. Michaels was an ******* in those days. Hart even said he'd drop the belt to Steve Lombardi.

I hate this argument of "your boss told you to do something, so you do it". Come on, you gotta stand up for yourself sometimes.
Hate it all you want, it is the truth.

Especially in this case, it is absoutley the truth. This isn't Road Dogg refusing to put over RVD in 1997 or even Steve Austin refusing to put over Brock Lesnar in 2002... this had dire consequences for Vince and the WWF because of the Bischoff factor.

Some say how could Vince do such a thing.... I say how could Bret do such a thing?

- Vince does Bret a solid and instead of terminating his contract flat out he allows Bret to negotiate with the competitor to get a fantastic deal
- PS: That competitor is crushing Vince at the time
- PPS: Bret is also the company champion
- Vince trusts Bret enough to leave him champion up until the final hours of his contract
- Vince thinks Bret, who they have both been loyal to each other for +/- 8 years, will do the what he always does: he'll do what is asked of him
- Bret says no
- According to Cornette and Russo, Vince practically begs him to drop it to Michaels leading up to SS97
- Bret says no
- Vince knows that when the clock strikes midnight after the PPV, his WWF Champion will be under a WCW contract

Now what is a Vince McMahon to do?

If this was just Bret by himself with no WCW around the corner, this would have never been a problem. The Bischoff factor outweighs any kind of built in loyalty equity Bret and Vince have built with each other.

I guess shame on Vince for thinking Bret would be the consummate professional he always was. Also shame on Vince for letting Bret negotiate a contract with the competitor while he was still under his watch.

EDIT: Reading my own synopsis, I have had another red flag for the "could be a work" folder: Why would Vince practically encourage Bret to go to his competitor who was killing him at the time? I know the WWF was in financial trouble, but couldn't they just have re-negotiated the contract? In Wrestling w/ Shadows I remember Bret saying he never ever wanted to leave the WWF... surely he would have been open to a re-negotiation. Just seems odd that Vince would be quick to rid himself of his Champion when they were both happy doing business with each other up until that point.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 04-20-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 09:05 PM
Megahab

Quote:
- Vince knows that when the clock strikes midnight after the PPV, his WWF Champion will be under a WCW contract.

Bret Hart's WCW contract didn't start until December, a few weeks after the Survivor Series PPV. In fact, he didn't end up debuting until December 15th. Bret was still under WWE contract until the end of November. He could not have shown up on Nitro the night after Survivor Series.

Old
04-20-2013, 09:24 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

I always heard that Bret's deal expired night of Survivor Series. I could have be mistaken all these years. Would makes sense considering Bret didn't start until a few weeks later.

Still wouldn't have stopped Bischoff from coming out on Nitro saying "Guess who we just signed.... the WWF Champion" and cut a scorching hot promo about how even their World Champion doesn't even want to be with that second rate company. Even he is jumping off the Titanic. Instead the promo we got the Nitro after was the nWo singing Oh Canada if my memory serves correctly.

and truthfully, I couldn't care less if his deal expired up until SS 2015: Bret still should have done the right thing. This isn't like he said no to some raunchy angle he morally objected to like Owen did. This isn't like he was asked to kiss Vince's ass on TV like Regal did or bark like a dog like Trish did. Not like he was asked as the top guy in the company to put over a rookie on free TV like Austin was asked to do for Lesnar. He was being asked to drop a title belt in the main event to his equal (albeit, an obnoxious junkie who he had problems with), and he wouldn't do it. It is irrelevant if he said he would drop it to anybody but Shawn. He wasn't asked to drop it to Austin or to Shamrock.. he was asked to drop it to Shawn.

Pride is a funny thing. Bret let his pride get in the way and got back stabbed because of it.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 04-20-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old
04-20-2013, 09:33 PM
Snipeshow

I always thought it was Bret didn't want to lose to Michaels, in Canada, to the SHARPSHOOTER, but would have taken the pin or whatever.

Snipeshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:32 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
I always heard that Bret's deal expired night of Survivor Series. I could have be mistaken all these years. Would makes sense considering Bret didn't start until a few weeks later.

Still wouldn't have stopped Bischoff from coming out on Nitro saying "Guess who we just signed.... the WWF Champion" and cut a scorching hot promo about how even their World Champion doesn't even want to be with that second rate company. Even he is jumping off the Titanic. Instead the promo we got the Nitro after was the nWo singing Oh Canada if my memory serves correctly.

and truthfully, I couldn't care less if his deal expired up until SS 2015: Bret still should have done the right thing. This isn't like he said no to some raunchy angle he morally objected to like Owen did. This isn't like he was asked to kiss Vince's ass on TV like Regal did or bark like a dog like Trish did. Not like he was asked as the top guy in the company to put over a rookie on free TV like Austin was asked to do for Lesnar. He was being asked to drop a title belt in the main event to his equal (albeit, an obnoxious junkie who he had problems with), and he wouldn't do it. It is irrelevant if he said he would drop it to anybody but Shawn. He wasn't asked to drop it to Austin or to Shamrock.. he was asked to drop it to Shawn.

Pride is a funny thing. Bret let his pride get in the way and got back stabbed because of it.
The biggest reason why Bret wouldn't drop the title to HBK was because HBK decided to vacate the title rather than drop it to Bret at Wrestlemania XIII, and then HBK just simply waltzes back in to the company and immediately takes the title off of Bret? I'm sorry but Bret was well within his right to use his pull and not drop the title to HBK.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 12:29 AM
Megahab

Quote:

Would Bischoff coming out on Nitro saying he's signed the WWF Champion really do that much damage? Enough damage to justify screwing Bret Hart? No way. If he actually showed up on TV with the belt, than you could make a case.

I think I read that Bret Hart had Bischoff agree to not announce Hart's signing ahead of time. I think on the Raw the night after the PPV, Jim Ross announced that Bret Hart went to WCW anyway. But by that time, a lot of people already knew that Bret had signed with WCW. But my point here is that there's not much difference in the impact it would have made between Bischoff announcing that "Bret Hart" has signed with WCW vs. Bischoff announcing that "WWF Champion Bret Hart" has signed with WCW. Sure, it would have been a memorable moment, but is it really worth screwing over a guy that has been one of your best workers for 13 years or so?

For Bret Hart to lose his last match to a guy that had been disrespecting him for the prior few months would have just made Bret look like Shawn's *****. I don't think anyone in Bret's position would be willing to put over a guy like Shawn Michaels at that time. It's not simply an issue of just putting over who you're told or doing what's right for business. Bret was justified in having enough self-pride to not want to do the job.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:56 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Some of you are being just as big of marks as Bret was.

This is a business... and Bret didn't want to do business at SS97, so Vince had to take measures to ensure he got his championship on the guy he wanted.

I can't hate Bret's hubris, but at the same time he shouldn't get any sympathy for not doing what his boss asked him to do.

Sorry, him not liking Shawn Michaels does not make it right for him to hold Vince McMahon's championship hostage.

It amazes me the amount of fans who absolve Bret of any wrong doing, but most of the boys (that I have heard on shoot interviews at least) not named Mick Foley have said if they were him they would have done it. Foley tried to orchestrate a protest the next night on Raw, but he was the only guy sitting at the lunch counter. Why is that?

BTW, I am still waiting for someone's solution of how to get the championship from Bret-to-Michaels at the Survivor Series with Bret's consent (don't say drop it the next night to Austin/Shamrock either, because those were not options made available by Vince. Vince wanted it to go from Hart-to-Michaels in Montreal so work within those perimeters). Only thing I would have suggested would be if they did a DQ stip where if Bret got DQ'd he loses the title. However, Bret would have said no and then we are back at square 1.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 04-21-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Old
04-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Megahab

But the thing is Bret Hart did want to do business. He just didn't want to lose to Michaels on that night. It's a respect issue. There were other possible scenarios they could have gone with and Hart would have agreed to. There were other, more reasonable ways to do business. McMahon should never have asked Hart to put over Michaels, after what Michaels had said. It was poorly handled by McMahon. That is why Vince screwed Bret.

It's funny that people say Hart didn't want to do business, while his opponent was a guy that had a history of not wanting to do business. I hate how Michaels has become a victim in the Montreal screwjob, as if he was always willing to do what he was told as if he was a company man.

Would you put over a guy that disrespected you so much?

Old
04-21-2013, 01:22 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
But the thing is Bret Hart did want to do business. He just didn't want to lose to Michaels on that night. It's a respect issue. There were other possible scenarios they could have gone with and Hart would have agreed to. There were other, more reasonable ways to do business. McMahon should never have asked Hart to put over Michaels, after what Michaels had said. It was poorly handled by McMahon. That is why Vince screwed Bret.

It's funny that people say Hart didn't want to do business, while his opponent was a guy that had a history of not wanting to do business. I hate how Michaels has become a victim in the Montreal screwjob, as if he was always willing to do what he was told as if he was a company man.

Not willingly but that is still his job. No other workplace would put up with similar circumstances of not wanting to work with someone for the same reasons. If your supervisor tells you to work with this person and produce these results, it had better be done or there will be consequences.

I don't blame Bret for standing up for himself but it came with a price. Both sides did what they felt they had to do. Everyone screwed Bret. lol

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:28 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:

Am I getting paid? Absolutely, and twice on Sunday. I would complain/moan to whoever would listen in the back and I would still be at odds with the guy I hate, but the finish will be whatever the booker wants it to be.

Bret Hart is not the first wrestler who ever had heat with a guy and didn't want to put him over.

Oh, and I absolutely agree with you on Michaels. From what I gather, he is probably the biggest ***** wrestling has ever seen. However, the fact that we have to bring up Shawn's past of being an abominable ass who didn't want to do what was asked of him in order to try and justify Bret should tell you something.

If you want to call Vince having faith and trusting in Bret enough that he would execute what Vince asked him to do because Bret was always the consummate professional "screwing" Bret... then Vince screwed Bret.

Like PinkFloyd wrote, I cannot blame Bret for being too proud and sticking up for what he believes in. Bret did what Bret had to do. At the same time, Vince had to do what Vince had to do.

Last edited by El Dandy*: 04-21-2013 at 01:40 AM.
Old
04-21-2013, 01:42 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Absolutely.

Bret Hart is not the first guy who had heat with a guy and didn't want to put him over.

Oh, and I absolutely agree with you on Michaels. From what I gather, he is probably the biggest ***** wrestling has ever seen. However, the fact that we have to bring up Shawn's past of being an abominable ass who didn't want to do what was asked of him in order to try and justify Bret should tell you something.

If you want to call Vince having faith and trusting in Bret enough that he would execute what Vince asked him to do because Bret was always the consummate professional "screwing" Bret... then Vince screwed Bret.

Like PinkFloyd wrote, I cannot blame Bret for being too proud and sticking up for what he believes in. Bret did what Bret had to do. At the same time, Vince had to do what Vince had to do.
I think Vince's interview on the subject still is the right thing even if he is saying it with obvious bias. Even if Bret didn't like the guy, it's his obligation to the organization and the boys in the back that helped make him who he was to do the job like most everyone else has had to do.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 02:01 AM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

Quote:
It amazes me the amount of fans who absolve Bret of any wrong doing, but most of the boys (that I have heard on shoot interviews at least) not named Mick Foley have said if they were him they would have done it. Foley tried to orchestrate a protest the next night on Raw, but he was the only guy sitting at the lunch counter. Why is that?
Well that's not entirely accurate. Many wrestlers were pissed off about how Vince handled it. Their mindset was "if Vince could screw over his champion, he can screw any of us", and a good chunk of the roster was threatening to boycott, but it was Bret who told them not to bother, not to jeopardize their careers, so nothing came of it. Mick Foley was the only one who "successfully" boycotted, for a whole week. Another big star who was furious with Vince was Undertaker, who was pounding on Vince's door demanding he apologize to Bret. Also at some point, Taker told Bret that Shawn was a "little c*nt".

Quote:
BTW, I am still waiting for someone's solution of how to get the championship from Bret-to-Michaels at the Survivor Series with Bret's consent (don't say drop it the next night to Austin/Shamrock either, because those were not options made available by Vince. Vince wanted it to go from Hart-to-Michaels in Montreal so work within those perimeters). Only thing I would have suggested would be if they did a DQ stip where if Bret got DQ'd he loses the title. However, Bret would have said no and then we are back at square 1.
There really isn't any solution. Bret didn't want to drop the belt to Shawn, and Vince was adamant the belt go on Shawn.

I always defended Bret when it came to the screwjob, but I can also see how Vince would've thought he was backed into a corner with no other option.

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 04:10 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Rollins View Post
I always defended Bret when it came to the screwjob, but I can also see how Vince would've thought he was backed into a corner with no other option.
Vince could have just gone ahead with the agreed upon plan of having Bret drop the title the next night on Raw to Shamrock.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote