HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL 2004/ESPN Hockey

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2003, 03:53 PM
Impossibles

vCash: 500
NHL 2004/ESPN Hockey

Anybody bought it yet?

If so, let us know what platform you bought it for and what you think about it.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:59 PM
incawg

ESPN Hockey for xbox (i'll be picking up NHL 2004 early next week so I can do a direct comparison).

This is my first time venturing away from the EA series.

The gameplay is pretty fluid. It "feels" very good. Controls are pretty responsive. My only problem here is that the deking system stinks. Or maybe I just stink at it. Anyway, I like the EA-style of deking much better. I feel useless on breakaways with the ESPN system.

Graphics leave something to be desired. I know the xbox is capable of much better.

Sounds are awful. The only redeeming factor is that they have good arena music (the classic songs with lyrics) and individual team chants. But the play-by-play and commentaries are brutal compared to the EA series. You basically have no choice but to mute it.

Lots of extras. Tons of teams, jersies, mini-games, collectibles, etc. Excellent replay value here.

They have the 1994 canucks team, which is the first thing I unlocked, but - to my dismay - they're missing pretty much all the player names! Guys are just listed as "Center 1", "Goalie 2". I have a feeling it has to do with the NHLPA but it still stinks.

Overall it's pretty decent, but I have a feeling that I'll enjoy NHL 2004 more, if for no other reason than that I'm used to the gameplay engine.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:18 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by incawg
ESPN Hockey for xbox (i'll be picking up NHL 2004 early next week so I can do a direct comparison).

Graphics leave something to be desired. I know the xbox is capable of much better.

Sounds are awful. The only redeeming factor is that they have good arena music (the classic songs with lyrics) and individual team chants. But the play-by-play and commentaries are brutal compared to the EA series. You basically have no choice but to mute it.

They have the 1994 canucks team, which is the first thing I unlocked, but - to my dismay - they're missing pretty much all the player names! Guys are just listed as "Center 1", "Goalie 2". I have a feeling it has to do with the NHLPA but it still stinks.
That's odd, most reviews I've read have praised the graphics, especially the players faces.

And the same goes for the sound. The play-by-play has been hailed as the best in hockey video game history. Or did you actually find that Don Taylor funny?

They would have needed permission from every player on the historic teams to have them in the game. This page should help with those rosters: http://www.wewantthecup.4t.com/NHL2K...icrosters.html

As for gameplay problems, the Thunderpuck forums have some threads dedicated to different slider settings. I found my settings (with some personal modification) for 2K3 from there.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:29 PM
Peter Griffin

I have ESPN for the PS2 and it's great. The graphics are much improved from last year, especially the player faces which are the best I've seen in any hockey video game. The game plays like real hockey(teams will set up on the power play and wait for their chances, teams such as the Wild will forecheck heavily and then fall back into the trap). I personally think the sounds are great, the commentary is much improved. It's a lot better then NHL 2003 commentary which was just plain sad. The best thing about the sounds are in the arena. Fans will chant their team's names as well as specific players(Canucks fans chant "Cloutier, Cloutier,Cloutier") and the goal horns are amazing(every team has the right horn). It's a very realistic and enjoyable game.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:32 PM
incawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
That's odd, most reviews I've read have praised the graphics, especially the players faces.
Relative to other hockey games that graphics are good, but they don't have that "wow" factor. And after playing Soul Calibur II the graphics look 8-bit I'm just saying that the potential is there to do much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi
And the same goes for the sound. The play-by-play has been hailed as the best in hockey video game history. Or did you actually find that Don Taylor funny?
I suppose the play-by-play isn't so bad (although hughson's voice is better imo) but I find the commentary ridiculously repetitive and brutally inaccurate (for example, in their pre-game analysis of the canucks they called them a "strong defensive-oriented team"). And yes, I will take Don Taylor's inane comments any day of the week over Clement telling me that "This Player" is "Good Defensively" or "Good Offensively" at every single stoppage in play...especially when I'm well aware that it's not even an accurate description of the player in question and that player had nothing to do with the preceding play.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:38 PM
nazzy

I have NHL 2004 for PC, one of the best EA hockey games in year, I love the gameplay and it's not too easy to win anymore against the computer.

Old
09-25-2003, 04:44 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
nhl 2004 for Playstation is a pretty damn good game....I have had it for close to a week now....good to try out all the teams at first

Old
09-25-2003, 05:05 PM
IceMelter

Send a message via AIM to IceMelter Send a message via MSN to IceMelter
I just got NHL 2004 for PS2 today, I think it's awesome, no longer can I deke through three players and score like peanuts.

The clutching and grabbing is a real part of the game and they use it well.

Only thing that sucks is I was used to controling my players using those arrow buttons, now I got to use the stick, will just take me awhile to get used to gliding around players.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:18 PM
LaVal

NHL 2004 is complete crap. those who actually like it need to give ESPN Hockey a try which is so much better it's not even funny.

i would normally go through and list the problems with a game but 2004 just has too many to list.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:47 PM
Canadian Chris

I played both....and will likely be playing both again tonight...and personally, I'll take EA over ESPN....

I loved NHL 2K3 last year, and despised 2003.....this year, I LOVE 2004, and don't have a huge hate for ESPN, just it doesn't feel quite as nice as EA does....personal preference? Probably....but my opinions are mine, and unless you can show me something substantial to change them, I doubt I will because EA just kicks some serious ass

Old
09-25-2003, 05:49 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
NHL 2004 is complete crap. those who actually like it need to give ESPN Hockey a try which is so much better it's not even funny.

i would normally go through and list the problems with a game but 2004 just has too many to list.
and your flaws of nhl 2004 EA would be? At least back up your point

Old
09-25-2003, 05:50 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris
EA just kicks some serious ass
I tend to agree with that

Old
09-25-2003, 05:52 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
and your flaws of nhl 2004 EA would be? At least back up your point
my quote

i would normally go through and list the problems with a game but 2004 just has too many to list

lets just say everything minus franchise mode, graphics, and commentary. i might make a list later on. let it be known however that i say this based on the fact that i prefer a realistic hockey simulation over an arcade game. the game may be fun for someone who doesn't care if it's realistic or not.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:54 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
my quote

i would normally go through and list the problems with a game but 2004 just has too many to list

lets just say everything minus franchise mode, graphics, and commentary. i might make a list later on. let it be known however that i say this based on the fact that i prefer a realistic hockey simulation over an arcade game. the game may be fun for someone who doesn't care if it's realistic or not.
I disagree with your assessment, though you are entitled to your opinion. This game kicks ass

Old
09-25-2003, 05:54 PM
incawg

It really is a matter of personal preference. Overall, ESPN has gotten better reviews but usually it's by a small margin. I'd recommend renting them both before buying.

The other game not being talked about much, but getting solid reviews, is NHL Hitz Pro. I'll give that a try too when it comes out. Apparently midway has opted for a more simulation-feel to their game.

Old
09-25-2003, 05:56 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy
I have NHL 2004 for PC, one of the best EA hockey games in year, I love the gameplay and it's not too easy to win anymore against the computer.
Hey, how's Terrace....I lived in Kitimat, B.C for 14 years....it was a 1 hour drive from Terrace

Old
09-25-2003, 06:08 PM
nazzy

Quote:
Hey, how's Terrace....I lived in Kitimat, B.C for 14 years....it was a 1 hour drive from Terrace
Haha ****imat. About 45 minutes away acutally, Terrace is the same, a lot of natives as usual, the economy is pretty bad right now but it's liveable.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:11 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazzy
Haha ****imat. About 45 minutes away acutally, Terrace is the same, a lot of natives as usual, the economy is pretty bad right now but it's liveable.
My parents got divorced in 94' , so I am living in Richmond, B.C now for the past 9 years. We lived on Columbia Street in Kitimat...dad still works at Alcan in Kitimat. I will come there next year, to celebrate my 10 year leave

Old
09-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

Kitimat... holy crap i thought i was the only one.

But I used to live on Dunn street, which is my last name also. but I moved when i was 4 and never looked back.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:40 PM
ping

I rented ESPN Hockey 2004 for a week but I haven't played NHL 2004.

I had NHL 2003 last year and hated it because it was so unrealistic. When normal games are 17-11 you know there's a problem. However I do realize that NHL 2004 is apparently a totally new different game more on the simulation side.

(All this is compared to NHL2k3)
I owned NHL2k3 last year. ESPN Hockey 2004 is a major upgrade over 2k3. ESPN has better graphics (the faces are just great) and a much better commentator (Last year was brutal). ESPN has tons of options and sliders to adjust difficulties. Like others said the chants in the game are pretty cool. There are 5 difficulty levels with 1-2 being for high scoring games and 3-5 for the simulation games. There are also features this year like playing in an Outdoor Rink. I played it a couple of times. I think there are no line changes, no rules, 5v5, but played like normal hockey. This mode is great for multiplayer. The 2v2 mini-rink game is kindof fun. It's 2v2 plus a goalie for each team. It's a sped up game of hockey with bouncy boards so the puck will move around quite a bit. You've also got the skills competition which I think is really well done. There's even a simple air hockey game that you can play. There are plenty of jerseys and teams and a few modes to unlock. I unlocked all the Canucks ones. Yes even the stick one. Oh and if you have an Xbox don't forget about their unparralled online mode.

I really liked this game and I'll probably buy it but I want to see what NHL Rivals 2004 is like first. It sounds pretty good.

Graphics - 10
Gameplay - 10
Controls - 8
Sound - 9 (Big improvement over last year)
Features - 8.5 (Xbox Live, sliders, game modes, etc. Only minus is that the Franchise mode isn't as great as NHL 2004)

I'd give it a 9.5 and I would've given NHL2k3 an 8.2 or something.

Old
09-25-2003, 06:45 PM
nazzy

Quote:
My parents got divorced in 94' , so I am living in Richmond, B.C now for the past 9 years. We lived on Columbia Street in Kitimat...dad still works at Alcan in Kitimat. I will come there next year, to celebrate my 10 year leave
Cool, my cousins moved there a couple of years ago from Terrace, not much of a move though, they're on Oriel I believe. It's pretty much a dump except for Alcan, but I think Prince Rupert is struggling the most, it's pretty sad to visit with so many local shops closing down.

Old
09-25-2003, 09:24 PM
Impossibles

Quote:
Add me to the Kitimat-alumni club.

Lived on Gannet street, moved when i was 6 ('86)
Still have a lot of family up there.

Old
09-26-2003, 04:45 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
Add me to the Kitimat-alumni club.

Lived on Gannet street, moved when i was 6 ('86)
Still have a lot of family up there.
Cool, good to see a Kitimat reunion on HF

Old
09-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Mole ii

asdf

Old
09-27-2003, 06:18 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impossibles
Anybody bought it yet?

If so, let us know what platform you bought it for and what you think about it.
I've had ESPN Hockey (NHL 2k4) for 2 weeks and NHL 2004 for a week. Personally I think the Franchise Mode is amazing in NHL 2004, the only bad thing about it is that it's not 2 player. ESPN has a pretty good franchise mode as well except the player ratings are often way off. I'd say I'd give management to NHL 2004 and actual on ice play to ESPN. The game is just more fun IMO. Scoring in both games isn't really a problem, even on the hardest difficulty settings (actually the same kind of deak works in both games if you can get open). I'd say get them both if you can because they each have their strong poins.

p.s. I hate the new controls in NHL 2004

p.p.s. There is a stupid amount of injuries in ESPN Hockey, its a must to turn them off.

Closed Thread