HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Roster Building Thread: Titles May Not Reflect Actual Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
04-17-2013, 02:57 AM
Jacob582

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
grabner is faster than ennis
I agree.

But Ennis is currently one of our fastest forwards, so you are not improving team speed a whole lot.

Replace John Scott with Grabner. Now you are increasing team speed.
(Not sure how Grabner would feel about playing on the 4th line with Kaleta, Hecht/Grigorenko though).

Old
04-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Cross Bozak off the list if he's looking for $5m per, probably over five or six years. I want value, and at that price he isn't a value.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:52 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
If Edmonton wants to get grittier, I'd dangle Ott. Ott + two 2nds for Eberle?

Old
04-17-2013, 08:50 AM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Cross Bozak off the list if he's looking for $5m per, probably over five or six years. I want value, and at that price he isn't a value.
I didn't ever think he was a realistic target anyways. Regier is going to be looking for role players this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
If Edmonton wants to get grittier, I'd dangle Ott. Ott + two 2nds for Eberle?
I'd do it, but I doubt that gets it done.

You'd have to dangle a very nice prospect in addition to Ott and the seconds (Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia) to get Eberle, I think.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:04 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
if you watched that draft on NHL network, you could see the guys at the Sabres table reaction. someone slammed a water bottle on the table... they were visibly upset...the impression everyone got was that he was their target and they were surprised he was taken before them (and pissed)
Sheahan was someone Christiano was following for years. He was the guy they wanted badly. Too bad he's gone... sideways... in his mental makeup.

04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loods View Post
I didn't ever think he was a realistic target anyways. Regier is going to be looking for role players this summer.

I'd do it, but I doubt that gets it done.

You'd have to dangle a very nice prospect in addition to Ott and the seconds (Grigorenko, Girgensons, Armia) to get Eberle, I think.
At which point I would walk away. Eberle is good, but he's not worth that kind of asking price IMO.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Zip15

If they do move Miller and don't get a goaltender in return, I wouldn't mind them pursuing Khudobin on something like a two-year deal. He could then split starts with Enroth, while Hackett gets the lion's share in Rochester.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:23 AM
stokes84

Quote:
If they do move Miller and don't get a goaltender in return, I wouldn't mind them pursuing Khudobin on something like a two-year deal. He could then split starts with Enroth, while Hackett gets the lion's share in Rochester.
Why can't we just have Leggio do that?

Old
04-17-2013, 09:27 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Because I think Khudobin is better?

Old
04-17-2013, 09:33 AM
stokes84

Quote:
Because I think Khudobin is better?
But you don't know that he is. So you would be willing to give up assets in a tank year for a question mark when you can have that same question mark without giving up anything? Not to mention, it looks bad on the organization to just overlook the opportunity that Leggio has clearly earned with his work.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Zip15

Quote:
But you don't know that he is.
And you don't know that he isn't. We're all speculating.

Quote:
So you would be willing to give up assets in a tank year for a question mark when you can have that same question mark without giving up anything?
What assets? Khudobin is UFA, and we're likely nowhere near a cap team next year.

Quote:
Not to mention, it looks bad on the organization to just overlook the opportunity that Leggio has clearly earned with his work.
Because David Leggio will be the first AHL player to perform well in that league and then not get an opportunity in that NHL organization? Please. It wouldn't even be a blip on an NHL player's radar.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Leggio's UFA this summer. It isn't a given that with a cloudy situation in net that he's going to wait around for Buffalo to sign him. It wouldn't be a surprise if he is looking at NHL opportunity in his next contract but given his season for Rochester thus far, he's going to be in the early list of AHL-level UFA's who get quality offers on July first by those franchises who want the best at the AHL level.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Zip15

If Leggio did walk and we missed out on Khudobin, I wouldn't mind taking a look at Thomas Greiss on a value signing. He's posted decent numbers in San Jose notwithstanding long swaths of time between starts. I'd imagine San Jose lets him walk and they replace him with one of their youngsters in net.

Plus, Darcy would be one step closer to one of his other dreams of acquiring every German-born player in the NHL.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:59 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Regarding Leggio, the Sabres will have Hackett, Makarov, Lieuwen and Knapp under contract for next season in the minors. They have some questions to address:

1 - The Biggie: Are they dealing Miller this summer since most contenders will be set in net long before the trade deadline?
2 - If they deal Miller who splits time in Buffalo?
a) Is it Enroth and Hackett?
b) If not Enroth and Hackett, is Leggio in the mix?
c) Do they bring in another netminder of some stripe from outside the organization
as a transition player?

Old
04-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Regarding Leggio, the Sabres will have Hackett, Makarov, Lieuwen and Knapp under contract for next season in the minors. They have some questions to address:

1 - The Biggie: Are they dealing Miller this summer since most contenders will be set in net long before the trade deadline?
2 - If they deal Miller who splits time in Buffalo?
a) Is it Enroth and Hackett?
b) If not Enroth and Hackett, is Leggio in the mix?
c) Do they bring in another netminder of some stripe from outside the organization
as a transition player?
I'd add to that: d) In the event that Miller's still on the team on July 1, does Leggio wait around to see how things shake out, or does he quickly latch on with one of the organizations who'd pursue him to be their undisputed #1 in the AHL, and an organization with whom Leggio believes he could crack the big club (like PHX, especially if both Smith and Labarbera are gone).

He's really caught between a rock and hard place in this organization. At the very least, the organization will likely want Hackett getting the lion's share of the AHL starts. Additionally, you'd have to imagine the organization would want one of the young goaltenders--I'd bet Makarov--to start getting broken in at the AHL level. Really, unless he's the undisputed backup in Buffalo, there's likely not a spot for him in the Sabres organization.

Unless Miller is dealt at or before the draft, I just don't see him in the organization next year.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
But you don't know that he is. So you would be willing to give up assets in a tank year for a question mark when you can have that same question mark without giving up anything? Not to mention, it looks bad on the organization to just overlook the opportunity that Leggio has clearly earned with his work.
WTF???

That statement only makes sense if the players are just names on a piece of paper...

Old
04-17-2013, 10:57 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
would you trade Myers for Gaborik?
Nashville would not trade Josi for Vanek
Straight up? Granted it would depend on whether Vanek would want to stick around, but Nashville would move him in a heart beat.

Myers has much more potential than Josi...who is the more consistent player at present...but a 23 year old D man's potential is part of the evaluation process when looking at him as an asset. Look at what Erik Johnson fetched on the market despite having failed to reach his full potential. Josi will never have the upside of Myers so this comparison is poor.....for now.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Hackett can be sent to Rochester without having to clear waivers next year?

He'll be 23 and have 3 year since he signed his contract... for a goalie, doesn't that make him eligible for waivers?

Old
04-17-2013, 11:02 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Straight up? Granted it would depend on whether Vanek would want to stick around, but Nashville would move him in a heart beat.

Myers has much more potential than Josi...who is the more consistent player at present...but a 23 year old D man's potential is part of the evaluation process when looking at him as an asset. Look at what Erik Johnson fetched on the market despite having failed to reach his full potential. Josi will never have the upside of Myers so this comparison is poor.....for now.
there is no "if he's willing to stick around" stipulation... he's not. he's going to be hitting the market, and will be pursued by plenty of teams... he's not signing an extension with a small market team, that plays a defense first system... don't be ridiculous

Josi is better than Myers right now... end of story.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:08 AM
drinking bleach irl
POST MORE RECKLESS

vCash: 300
Quote:
the faintest praise

Old
04-17-2013, 11:12 AM
Zip15

Quote:

He'll be 23 and have 3 year since he signed his contract... for a goalie, doesn't that make him eligible for waivers?
JFB would know this, but I do think it's different for Hackett given the fact he's a goaltender, when he signed his contract, and the small number of NHL games in which he's appeared (or some combination thereof).

Old
04-17-2013, 11:29 AM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
JFB would know this, but I do think it's different for Hackett given the fact he's a goaltender, when he signed his contract, and the small number of NHL games in which he's appeared (or some combination thereof).
I believe he was 19 when he signed his ELC, so it would be 5 years or 80 games that he remains waiver exempt.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:30 AM
sabresandcanucks

Quote:
there is no "if he's willing to stick around" stipulation... he's not. he's going to be hitting the market, and will be pursued by plenty of teams... he's not signing an extension with a small market team, that plays a defense first system... don't be ridiculous

I'm glad you have this all mapped out....which lottery numbers should I pick tonight? Did it ever occur to you that if healthy and with the addition of Vanek that Nashville becomes a contender regardless of whether or not he walks the following season? Have you seen their prospect depth at D? Have you listened to what the organization has been saying this season? They are not rebuilding, they believe...if healthy and the addition of some offense they can contend in the west. And they have to say and believe this...because if they do not Weber and Rinne will want out. Weber said as much last summer. So you bet with 24 million in cap space and a limited FA pool to pick from that Vanek would be appealing to them.

Nor do i care if they target Josi...If there is anyone I want from Nashville it would be a blockbuster for Weber who would only be moved...one would think...if he requested a trade.

Josi is the better player right now, but Myers has more trade value.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:32 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

I don't think so.
Based on this: http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/nhl-w...les-explained/ it looks like Hackett has 47 more NHL games of waiver exemption or 2 more years.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:53 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I don't think so.
Based on this: http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/nhl-w...les-explained/ it looks like Hackett has 47 more NHL games of waiver exemption or 2 more years.
I was using this... but it's very likely that I am misinterpreting it

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

from both our links:
Quote:
The exemption ends immediately when the player plays the number of NHL games indicated as his games exemption, or at the conclusion of the season indicated as his last year of exemption — whichever comes first.

Last edited by Jame: 04-17-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Closed Thread