HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers lose 2-1 to the Ducks

Old
04-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Everest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
Disappointing effort. Outshot 28-5 between the ten minute mark of the first and the second intermission. Schultz was clearly rattled by the fans, the "third line" with Smyth, Jones and Horc was absolutely brutal tonight and the kids had no finish. Hall was the only one out there playing with heart, it looks like the rest of the guys are just milking the pay cheque and riding his coat tails.

I'm glad if we make it out of the bottom ten, playoffs were not a realistic expectation from me, but they are losing games in pathetic fashion this late in the season. It just doesn't bode well.
Smyth should have to pay admission to get into games. He is regressed to the point of standing & watching puck battles going on 6 inches past his stick.

Not even trying to be relevant out there.

Im disgusted with the way he is going out.

All this from a person who is a "friend of the family". But I can't...I just can't.... deny...how BAD he is.

Wow. Its unimaginable...and yet...its happening.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:00 AM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
There are only 2 maybe 3 people that care on this team. Who wants to make a guess? Its not tambo either
Lowe, Buchberger, Louie DeBrusk.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:00 AM
GreatMcKeith
Grand Dad?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Only teams actually worse than
Oilers IMHO are Calgary, Buffalo, Florida.

GreatMcKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:01 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
OK. I was out late drinking last night and I did sleep thought the first period and a half.

I thought we played well throughout the third period. Our core players worked their but off. Freakin loved watching Hall and Gagner trying to do whatever it took to win. Dubby had a huge night.

And we lost.

Seriously people. Give it a break. This is a message board to talk about hockey. It's not advertised as a place where you can just scream like a barbarian about what has you feeling down. (Facebook has tons of places, which are not necessarily self help groups, which exists specifically for this situation.)

I'm still happy. I'll be very happy with 10th place and if we win 5 of our next 9 games(I predicted that we'd win 5 of our last 10) I'll be ok with that. I don't see how you can expect us to win all of the time when you know that our roster has glaring weaknesses.

We need a totally revamped 4th line. Brown and what's his face from Florida just got here. I'll give them a chance, but I think I'd rather have Lander at center next year. Hope that kid can put on a few pounds over the off-season.

If Horcoff isn't at his very best, he's a liability.
Smyth needs to retire.
Hartikainen needs to get minutes over Jones and next year that will be a reality.
Nick Schultz on most nights is a decent third pairing defenseman. You give Justin Schultz a different partner and you'll see him attack with the puck in a totally different way.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:02 AM
Chooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
I'm going to laugh so hard when Columbus finishes ahead of us. That is going to be very embarrassing.
Called it for awhile now, we're finishing 13th.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:03 AM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
OK. I was out late drinking last night and I did sleep thought the first period and a half.

I thought we played well throughout the third period. Our core players worked their but off. Freakin loved watching Hall and Gagner trying to do whatever it took to win. Dubby had a huge night.

And we lost.

Seriously people. Give it a break. This is a message board to talk about hockey. It's not advertised as a place where you can just scream like a barbarian about what has you feeling down. (Facebook has tons of places, which are not necessarily self help groups, which exists specifically for this situation.)

I'm still happy. I'll be very happy with 10th place and if we win 5 of our next 9 games(I predicted that we'd win 5 of our last 10) I'll be ok with that. I don't see how you can expect us to win all of the time when you know that our roster has glaring weaknesses.

We need a totally revamped 4th line. Brown and what's his face from Florida just got here. I'll give them a chance, but I think I'd rather have Lander at center next year. Hope that kid can put on a few pounds over the off-season.

If Horcoff isn't at his very best, he's a liability.
Smyth needs to retire.
Hartikainen needs to get minutes over Jones and next year that will be a reality.
Nick Schultz on most nights is a decent third pairing defenseman. You give Justin Schultz a different partner and you'll see him attack with the puck in a totally different way.
Get the ****ing Nordic line back together. That line could cycle like a bunch of.... Nordic people, I tell you h'what.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
There are only 2 maybe 3 people that care on this team. Who wants to make a guess? Its not tambo either
Hall belongs in that category.

And Yakupov brings passion...albeit...unbridled and reckless with the puck quite often.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:05 AM
Connor McOilers
We have the precious

I still don't think we'll fall low enough, but I badly want to draft Monahan...

Connor McOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:05 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
Nick Schultz on most nights is a decent third pairing defenseman.
You give Justin Schultz a different partner and you'll see him attack with the puck in a totally different way.
This point can't possibly be made often enough.
The Oilers are doing Justin no favors by playing him with Nick.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:06 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Not to mention that they played last night as well...

No excuses. We suck.
I'm not going to even bother tuning in to the radio to here all the sad excuses the Oilers PR guys come up with. I heard Stauffer hyper ventalating on the radio during the game trying to blame the refs for non-calls.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:07 AM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleed_oil View Post
I'm not going to even bother tuning in to the radio to here all the sad excuses the Oilers PR guys come up with. I heard Stauffer hyper ventalating on the radio during the game trying to blame the refs for non-calls.
Oh, well 630CHED is subsidized by Katz, so don't expect any criticism there. Especially from that 12 year old gopher, who belongs on Arthur, Dan Tencer.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Everest

Id like to see Magnus moved up ahead of Eberle on the depth chart for a game.

I know it isn't a seamless transition...but...its the only way to get any kind of remotley effective speed/size happening when Hall doesn't have the puck with the existing trio of young guns.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

image.jpg

Yes Ralph, we get it.

Thankfully Dubnyk kept the boys on life support and Hall played with a sense of urgency as if winning was something he gave a **** about. Ralph is in denial if he claims the Oil lost it in one shift when Dvorak got his second. Guy was smiling ear to ear with a far too relaxed sense of calm. No sense of urgency or desperation to be perceived from him in a do or die game. Sort of like Hitchcock so obviously expresses behind his bench. Funny thing is that his players respond. Weird.

Last edited by Grod: 04-09-2013 at 12:34 AM.
Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:11 AM
ohheyhemsky
Regehr DooDoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grod View Post
Attachment 62917

Yes Ralph, we get it.
Haha, it's still my favorite.

Old
04-09-2013, 12:12 AM
The Slippery Snake

Eberle is the new Hemsky. So much skill, but leaves you wanting more.

The Slippery Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:13 AM
bleed_oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Oh, well 630CHED is subsidized by Katz, so don't expect any criticism there. Especially from that 12 year old gopher, who belongs on Arthur, Dan Tencer.
you know once upon a time, he used to post on here. Someone should look up his old user name to see if its still active and when it was last used.

bleed_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:14 AM
Everest

And what was the point of Hemsky hanging onto a spot in the line up for the past 10 days only to pull the pin now?!

Drives me bonkers we signed this delicate, wafer-boned, phantom

Old
04-09-2013, 12:21 AM
Mav3rick07
PS4

vCash: 83
3 Straight losses now... Guess it's time to start looking at the draft. God forbid the Oilers should remain consistent for a short period of time. This team just plain sucks.

Mav3rick07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Bobieque

Was at the game, tremendous amount of Oiler fans in the audience. Once again, tough to watch the team get manhandled again. Smid played very well, n. schultz had me scratching my head a few times wondering what he was thinking, and again for the second game in a row I was impressed by MPS.

The thought that crossed my mind watching these guys is I wonder if the lack of practices due to the schedule is hurting pur team more than others due to youth on the squad. I don't know.

Great Duck fans in the audience. Unfortunately some obnoxious Oiler fans there, not representing us well. Ah well, it is what it is.

Bobieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Expatriate

Hall and DD we're the only 2 that actually gave a ****. I would bet a ringette team has more heart and fight then this bunch of sorry excuses.

If Tambo doesn't do any thing during the draft or off season he better be gone.

Expatriate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:37 AM
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEGman View Post
I'm down in Palm Springs and watched the Anaheim broadcast. Their commentators couldn't believe how soft the Oilers were playing and that it was "incredible" that they weren't fighting for their play-off lives. It was dispassionate and true unlike the bs spewed by our commentators.
I'm up in Canada watching on NHL Gamecenter and I was using the Anaheim feed,
Those commentators do a better job assessing our team than our own commentators.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

The Oilers can't beat big trap teams. The passing from their end isn't good enough so the D has to chip it off the glass and out very often, which causes a possession change most times. Or they just miss the pass and cause a possession change. And after that happens their forwards aren't big enough to knock opposing players off the puck to get it back. That leaves them mostly dependent on beating opposing players to loose pucks with enough to to get away from him before they are knocked off the puck. Or mistakes by the other team, which are rare on a well coached/built team.

Unfortunately, we're going to see more of this until the obvious holes in the lineup are fixed.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
oilers2k10
Yak Don't Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
Hall and DD we're the only 2 that actually gave a ****. I would bet a ringette team has more heart and fight then this bunch of sorry excuses.

If Tambo doesn't do any thing during the draft or off season he better be gone.
I'd add Yakupov, Brown, Smid, J.Schultz and Petrell to that list as well.

oilers2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:38 AM
Mc5RingsAndABeer
5-14-6-1

vCash: 97
I actually think we would make the playoffs if we play in the EC. It's not like it's easier or anything... we're just not built well for the WC.

Mc5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:47 AM
Sheikyerbouti
ShakeyerMcBooty

Hall looked a lot more like a captain than Horcoff tonight.

Not a Horc hater, I don't care how much he makes, but his play was uninspired tonight. He and Smyth were too often avoiding contact for fly-by, lazy stick checks. I get that it must be tough to play knowing your mathematical chances, but the younger players entirely outworked the vets tonight.

I liked Smithson's game tonight, but it is entirely ridiculous that he has arrived to play just as we fall out of the race. Those dozen games of Vandevelde and nights we iced two or three centers are looking like some some classic Tamblowe mismanagement. Smithson would have been very useful during that stretch, but instaeda we bring him in for just enough time to experience losing like an Oiler. If we walks as a UFA then we basically just gave away a fourth. Best case scenario was that we made the playoffs, but then the Brown trade becomes an overpayment. Simple transactions that were entirely mismanaged imo

And where in the world is PECKHAM? I am sort of feeling bad for him, he should have been exposed to waivers to be given a chance to play somewhere. I don't see how burning a year of his career is seen as good player development. We have the weakest D core in the league, if someone was going to claim Peckham then he should have been in the line-up.

Hindsight is not available to the people making decisions, but year after year virtually every transaction this team makes looks horrible in hindsight. I'm sick of it.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote