HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't boo the rookies

Old
04-09-2013, 02:27 PM
buffalowing88

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogilny 89 View Post
We have the youngest team in the league. We shouldn't be booing them, period.

Send your hate in an email to Darcy, where it belongs, if you must.
Dear Darcy,
I am e-mailing you to say BOOOOO. Booooo to you for investing in our future! Boooooo to you for signing players we were genuinely excited to see join the team when the signing occurred! Boooooo to you for finding a way to get incredible value on every trade you make! Boooooo to you for being one of the most well respected GM's in the league!

Sincerely,
Some Jackass

-----
Seriously, though, why is Darcy supposed to be getting booed? He put together a team two years ago that should have developed into a playoff squad. It didn't work out and so instead of letting things linger he immediately tried something new. Booing him is moronic.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daz28 View Post
Haha, and other times people say Pegula doesn't say enough.
He doesn't, because if you're going to make that bold statement, then disappear when it's not going so well - people are going to be "WELL WHAT HAPPENED"

He came in at a bad time. You're not very far removed from the 05-07 teams, which got a LOT of people hooked on this team. They all want that feeling back, and don't realize how ****** the teams before them were.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Dubi Doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post

So it's ok to boo them if they aren't "playing their ***** off" (overall), but not after multiple extended shifts stuck in their own zone? Is that correct?

Fans don't buy tickets with the intention of booing. They buy tickets to hopefully watch an entertaining hockey game. Booing is a small action within the game itself, no different than cheering. It should have no relevant to why a fan bought a ticket in the first place. To suggest so seems like grasping for reasons to hate booing instead of a practical conclusion.
Yes. If a team plays a half ass game in front of their home crowd then boo them off the ice. That's 100% unacceptable of any professional athlete.

I'll never understand booing a team who's leaving it all on the ice. That should be cheered around these parts, because it wasn't the norm 3 weeks ago.

As for your second paragraph:
Nice nitpicking. Re-read my whole paragraph. You're going to be booing a lot if you boo for extended shifts in their own zone. I'm not sure I'd enjoy myself much if I was so easily offended and had to watch this team live. It's your money, though, so do what you want.

I would love for a Let's Go Buffalo chant the next time one of our lines is battling their ***** off in our zone. Hard work should always be rewarded. Always.

Dubi Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi Doo View Post
It's your money, though, so do what you want.
That's the bottom line. If you can handle the people around you looking at you strange, then by all means, enjoy yourself. It's certainly legal.

Daz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
If I were a professional athlete I'd go where I have the best chance to win and who was willing to pay me the most money. The crowd would be so far down the list it would be irrelevant.
Wow. Players will take fan base into their decisions, thats why places like Philly, NY, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal never struggle or have to overpay for free agents yet places like Florida struggle for quality free agents.

Thats not the point though, booing players who are underachieving is one thing, but we are on about boing rookies, kids who are under 23 within their first year of the NHL, a completely difference experience from anything they have tried before. As a fan you should have no expectations and booing them is just wrong, simple as.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:38 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalowing88 View Post
Dear Darcy,
I am e-mailing you to say BOOOOO. Booooo to you for investing in our future! Boooooo to you for signing players we were genuinely excited to see join the team when the signing occurred! Boooooo to you for finding a way to get incredible value on every trade you make! Boooooo to you for being one of the most well respected GM's in the league!

Sincerely,
Some Jackass

-----
Seriously, though, why is Darcy supposed to be getting booed? He put together a team two years ago that should have developed into a playoff squad. It didn't work out and so instead of letting things linger he immediately tried something new. Booing him is moronic.
IMMEDIATELY?!

Ga...bu....ja.... asdfoiasnfiosfnvofinboivn

#!*&!

Edit: I've composed myself now. His been slow to get rid of a core that wasn't working, sure he tried to add piecemeal players to make a contender but he still left us lacking a no.1 centre for an entire season, a season that turned out to be our best chance at a postseason run in a long time (we had almost everything apart from working centres). That screw up on top of everything else is reason enough. He does the occasional good trade but his had more than his fair share of duffers as well.

He also completely sucks in free agency. For every Ehrhoff there's several Leino's, Boyes and Torres. His time is up and he deserves the fans anger because of it.

Last edited by RazielMoshman: 04-09-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old
04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
He doesn't, because if you're going to make that bold statement, then disappear when it's not going so well - people are going to be "WELL WHAT HAPPENED"

He came in at a bad time. You're not very far removed from the 05-07 teams, which got a LOT of people hooked on this team. They all want that feeling back, and don't realize how ****** the teams before them were.
In fairness, he's making changes to the team. If he can say Lindy ain't going nowhere, and then he does fire him, then you can have faith he's trying to build the winner he promised. We're lucky to have TP, so I think we can give him a little patience. Hopefully we'll be rewarded. If we're not, I'm sure he'll be just as disappointed if not wayyy worse.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:39 PM
Mit Yarrum
HoF Turd Shiner

vCash: 1663
Quote:

I would love for a Let's Go Buffalo chant the next time one of our lines is battling their ***** off in our zone. Hard work should always be rewarded. Always.
****ing EXACTLY! Maybe a Let's Go Buffalo when the PP is sucking. I'm not kidding.

Mit Yarrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:41 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
In fairness, he's making changes to the team. If he can say Lindy ain't going nowhere, and then he does fire him, then you can have faith he's trying to build the winner he promised. We're lucky to have TP, so I think we can give him a little patience. Hopefully we'll be rewarded. If we're not, I'm sure he'll be just as disappointed if not wayyy worse.
I have no problems with him, just trying to look at it in a way that someone who would boo does.

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:43 PM
buffalowing88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
IMMEDIATELY?!

Ga...bu....ja.... asdfoiasnfiosfnvofinboivn

#!*&!
He did IMMEDIATELY turn things around. The team that has been getting revamped first got any sense of an identity the moment Pegula became owner and changed the organization mentality from the front office on down. The first year with that team we made the playoffs, the second year we were expected to be a threat to go deep in the playoffs and folded for reasons unknown, the third year we got halfway into a lockout season and the group showed no sign of progressing so Regier disbanded them. I think that's pretty damn efficient.

buffalowing88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:44 PM
Daz28

Quote:
As a fan you should have no expectations and booing them is just wrong, simple as.
Well, I was going to give up, but this is a main point. What were the fans expectations of Scott/Flynn/Porter/Kaleta/Gerbe, etc going into this game vs. one of the top forechecking teams coming off a SCF appearance???? Your expectations based on our play this year should have been loss, and a win should have been a pleasant surprise, which you might even be GRATEFUL for.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sba View Post
I have no problems with him, just trying to look at it in a way that someone who would boo does.
Then you're probably going to have to look at it from an 'entitled' perspective. I don't look at it that way, based on my expectations going in. There's no way If I'm a Avs fan that I buy tickets, and then boo them. I knew darn well they weren't a good club the minute I walked through the Pepsi center doors and bought those tickets. There's only 2 ways I could feel leaving. 1)eh, they lost, but I expected that. 2) wow, they played great. What a win. #2 was the only reason I even risked buying those tickets, not #1, but at least I got to boo them.

Old
04-09-2013, 02:56 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
I'll never understand booing a team who's leaving it all on the ice. That should be cheered around these parts, because it wasn't the norm 3 weeks ago.
And they were cheered!

Quote:
As for your second paragraph:
Nice nitpicking. Re-read my whole paragraph. You're going to be booing a lot if you boo for extended shifts in their own zone. I'm not sure I'd enjoy myself much if I was so easily offended and had to watch this team live. It's your money, though, so do what you want.
Re-read what I've said then. There were more than a few extended shifts in their own zone. Only after a bunch of them and only after a really ****ing bad shift did they get booed, for a few seconds.

Quote:
Yeah, there could be more of that. Their best shift was rewarded with a huge cheer though.

Quote:
Wow. Players will take fan base into their decisions, thats why places like Philly, NY, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal never struggle or have to overpay for free agents yet places like Florida struggle for quality free agents.
This is just so horribly off base.

Those places overpay all the time.
Some of those cities have a really harsh media and fan base (Montreal, Toronto).

Quote:
Thats not the point though, booing players who are underachieving is one thing, but we are on about boing rookies, kids who are under 23 within their first year of the NHL, a completely difference experience from anything they have tried before. As a fan you should have no expectations and booing them is just wrong, simple as.
That's a silly argument to me because fans aren't going to stop and think "oh, that was Brian Flynn. I shouldn't boo him, he's just a rookie."

Quote:
Well, I was going to give up, but this is a main point. What were the fans expectations of Scott/Flynn/Porter/Kaleta/Gerbe, etc going into this game vs. one of the top forechecking teams coming off a SCF appearance???? Your expectations based on our play this year should have been loss, and a win should have been a pleasant surprise, which you might even be GRATEFUL for.
Fans WERE grateful for the win. Booing one shift does not prevent this.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:57 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
You just named 3 original 6 franchises and then compared them to Florida. Done conversing with you.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM
1point21Gigawatts
hell's a gigawatt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
Injuries maybe, but we even go so far as to boo our own former players. Campbell gets booed and he didn't even want to leave, he got traded. It's completely nonsensical.
Yeah, i have never been too keen on that. Campbell was in tears at that press conference and pleaded that we don't boo him. What do fans do? Boo him to spite him.

I love the Sabres and I love that we have such a knowledgeable and passionate fan base, but i see how we can be a bit classless at times. There are still times where we are the epitome of class (see any injury sustained to a player in our arena. We cheer that they get up and are typically silent until that point). I think high expectations and negative results have launched us into a zone of bitterness, frustration, and resentment that keeps a lot of fans from containing their anger. I hope we can return to the raucous positivity of the past sooner than later.

1point21Gigawatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:07 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post
This is just so horribly off base.

Those places overpay all the time.
Some of those cities have a really harsh media and fan base (Montreal, Toronto).

That's a silly argument to me because fans aren't going to stop and think "oh, that was Brian Flynn. I shouldn't boo him, he's just a rookie."

Fans WERE grateful for the win. Booing one shift does not prevent this.
I didn't watch the game, did fans chant 'let's go buffalo' at the end of the game to celebrate?

So fans are too stupid to realise it's a rookie and to cut him a little slack or what? Not sure what the point is.

Old
04-09-2013, 03:12 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrefan27 View Post
You just named 3 original 6 franchises and then compared them to Florida. Done conversing with you.
They are only still around because they still have great, solid fanbases which players want to play in front of. Florida has a bored, half empty arena (go back to Ott's tweet when we played there as an example).

Old
04-09-2013, 03:13 PM
RiotAct
Panickin' 4 Hanifin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
Soooo, when the fans are vocal no one likes it. When the fans are silent, no one likes it.

I get it.
Exactly. Can't win.

And if the fans starting cheering the team on when they are playing poorly? It would be construed as a "Bronx Cheer"

RiotAct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:16 PM
chadthestampede
The Humanoid Typhoon

I feel like booing this thread.

chadthestampede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:30 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

TehDoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:33 PM
start winnin
NO MORE TANK BOYS

Where were the boo's earlier in the season when we sucked ass is my question.

At least they look like they're actually trying now.

start winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:42 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadthestampede View Post
I feel like booing this thread.
Don't you dare! There may be rookies posting here.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Daz28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
Where were the boo's earlier in the season when we sucked ass is my question.

At least they look like they're actually trying now.
They were waiting for the right shift to boo.

Old
04-09-2013, 04:01 PM
vcv
Deal with it

Send a message via AIM to vcv
Quote:
They were waiting for the right shift to boo.
Yes. Shifts are the only thing you should ever boo. Ever.

vcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:03 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Me View Post
Exactly. Can't win.

And if the fans starting cheering the team on when they are playing poorly? It would be construed as a "Bronx Cheer"
Booing veterans who are clearly putting no effort in is fine, cheering during great hockey is good. Just getting behind your team emotionally and making the other team feel intimidated is the perfect result.