HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 3.0

Old
04-09-2013, 06:42 AM
SixthSens
RIP Kev

vCash: 500
Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 3.0

Old thread: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1301913

Continue here. Lets try to stay on topic now, please.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:44 AM
muffin with tentacle

vCash: 1076
Was the the IIHF semifinals yesterday and dropped in the Sens shop to get a Zibby T-shirt... all sold out Silfverberg too

muffin with tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:31 AM
WhiteLight*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
At the moment Berglund is certainly on the olympic team before Zib. Sweden lacks goalscorers and he's probably the best shooter we have right now sadly, had he played on a team with a more offensive strategy he'd be past 20 by now. He usually delivers on the national team as well. So Zibby is going to bumb someone off the team it's certainly not Berglund. That said if he continues to develop like he has this season.. it's going to be hard to look past him. Really happy for him, especially considering the doubt that flourished here for some time =)
Well, if you want a worse player and a worse team, you can certainly go ahead and pick Berglund.

Zibanejad should be one of the 4 centres. Not only does he deserve it based on ability, he'd also be the only right handed shot at centre for the Swedes.

I think we can all agree Zib has found his inner ninja.

WhiteLight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:33 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Well, if you want a worse player and a worse team, you can certainly go ahead and pick Berglund.

Zibanejad should be one of the 4 centres. Not only does he deserve it based on ability, he'd also be the only right handed shot at centre for the Swedes.

I think we can all agree Zib has found his inner ninja.
Not a chance ZIbanejad is better than Berglund right now. Sweden is a better team with Berglund and I'm a huge Zibanejad supporter.

Ghost in the Shell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 07:46 AM
Lenny the Lynx

vCash: 50
I expected this thread to be called "Mika Zibanejad is the Real Deal 3.0", and he would probably be upgraded as well.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 08:12 AM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
I expected this thread to be called "Mika Zibanejad is the Real Deal 3.0", and he would probably be upgraded as well.
I'm with that. Just start that thread and I'll ignore this abomination.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Ottawa Hockey Fan

9 points in his last 8 games and now has 19 points in 33 games. Any chance he gets serious consideration for the calder?

Ottawa Hockey Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:13 AM
sens2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa Hockey Fan View Post
9 points in his last 8 games and now has 19 points in 33 games. Any chance he gets serious consideration for the calder?
Sorry guys, he's about to go on a long scoring slump.
Trust me, I have a source.

I picked him up in my fantasy pool.

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Quote:
If he keeps it up then yes, absolutely. After Huberdeau, the field is wide open and a strong finish would put him in the running.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:35 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Just food for thought. People think zibby has 60 point, 2-way potential but not ppg potential.

Zibby has 19 points in 33 games at age 19.

Spezza had 21 points in 33 games at age 20.

Zibby being a point a game later isnt a certainty that its out of the question.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 09:41 AM
Bob Kudelski

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post
Just food for thought. People think zibby has 60 point, 2-way potential but not ppg potential.

Great point. As I've always said, the sky is the limit with this kid. In his prime, he may very well be a PPG #1 center. It's just a matter of growing up and maturing physically and gaining experience and comfort in the league.

Bob Kudelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:06 AM
The Waffler
Registered Offender

small sample.

I believe he will be good. Not Spezza good. But prove me wrong, zibby.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeck5 View Post

Very different situations, teams and coaches.

If he can reach that level though I'll be the first person to say I was wrong about his upside. I'm still hoping for a 30 - 30 guy that brings a ton of faceoff wins, physicality and energy. Anything more than that is gravy.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:35 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

Since MacLean has permanently left him at centre - 21 games ago - these are his numbers:

5-11-16 +10

Leads the team over that time span. In comparison, here's how Turris has done:

4-6-10 -6

It's also quite impressive that Zibanejad is actually leading the team in points and plus/minus since Spezza went down. If this information was obvious from looking at the stats summary, Zibanejad would be a Calder finalist guaranteed.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Milan the God*

A question I have is what happens with Zibanejad when Spezza returns from injury? Zibanejad looks a lot better at center than he does on the wing. I don't think Turris has played the wing since coming to Ottawa. Turris has a 49.3FO% while Zibanejad has a 47.6FO%.

Milan the God* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapJack View Post
Since MacLean has permanently left him at centre - 21 games ago - these are his numbers:

5-11-16 +10

Leads the team over that time span. In comparison, here's how Turris has done:

4-6-10 -6

It's also quite impressive that Zibanejad is actually leading the team in points and plus/minus since Spezza went down. If this information was obvious from looking at the stats summary, Zibanejad would be a Calder finalist guaranteed.
If Zibby goes PPG I think he'll have a shot. Above PPG and I would expect it.

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:38 AM
OD99

Minister of Offence said "You don't wanna agree that it helps the average observer to have a frame of reference whether athletic background or experience playing hockey? Like generally speaking?

I'd rather continue to argue with you then agree to disagree....but it's up to you, yknow?"

I already conceded that I believe that playing hockey gives you a better understanding of the game.

What I disagree with is your original post that the people on the board who questioned Z-bad's upside were most likely people who never played hockey or were not athletically inclined.

It is just as possible to not play hockey or be athletic yet still see be able to identify what makes a player unique enough to make the NHL as it is to be an athletic person and not be able to identify what makes a player unique enough to make the NHL.

I have played my whole life so sure when I see a young player do something special I can say, "Wow, that was a very difficult play to make, I could practice over and over and not be able to do that, etc...". Conversely a person who has not played can watch and still say it was a very difficult play, or smart play or whatever yet not have the personal experience of attempting it.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 10:52 AM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan Lion View Post
If Zibby goes PPG I think he'll have a shot. Above PPG and I would expect it.
I hope he doesn't have to get to a PPG pace for consideration but I think you are right...if he got 29 points in 42 games that would be very strong and I think he would pass a few more rookies on the scoring chart.

Kid is looking really good lately and interested to see how he handles the change of pace and physical play in the post-season.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

I think at this point Zibanejad has proven his worth at centre. When Spezza comes back there's no reason not to run all three of them there. It gives us ridiculous centre depth. I think the foundations for lines should look like this:

Michalek - Spezza - [Fill]
[Fill] - Turris - Alfredsson
[Fill] - Zibanejad - Silfverberg
Greening - Smith - [Fill]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post
I already conceded that I believe that playing hockey gives you a better understanding of the game.
Conversely it's still possible to have a better understanding of hockey than someone who has played it without having played it yourself.

Someone who is smart can see the difference in what players are doing by watching them, and someone who isn't smart can still not truly understand what is going on despite playing the game for their whole lives.

I believe there are certain aspects of the game that you have to play in order to really experience, but ultimately I don't think that playing the game and your ability to think the game are mutually exclusive.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:09 AM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
I think at this point Zibanejad has proven his worth at centre. When Spezza comes back there's no reason not to run all three of them there. It gives us ridiculous centre depth. I think the foundations for lines should look like this:

Conversely it's still possible to have a better understanding of hockey than someone who has played it without having played it yourself.

Someone who is smart can see the difference in what players are doing by watching them, and someone who isn't smart can still not truly understand what is going on despite playing the game for their whole lives.

I believe there are certain aspects of the game that you have to play in order to really experience, but ultimately I don't think that playing the game and your ability to think the game are mutually exclusive.
Well you could have quoted the rest of my post to back you up

Old
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Well you could have quoted the rest of my post to back you up
Haha yeah. I was just trying to make it clear which point I was discussing. Your posting on the subject has been pretty well thought out.

Old
04-09-2013, 11:13 AM
HockeySens

Quote:

Dude where is neil and conacher lol thts at least 2 spots filled
Edit: oh i see, conacher with the kids and neil fourth line but tht 2 top 6 are huge holes. 3 when alfie retires
Good thing we have capspace. Also tht depth is crazy deep

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:16 AM
mikey

Quote:

Michalek - Spezza - Latendresse
Conacher - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Zibanejad - Silfverberg
Condra - Smith - Neil

Excellent lines.

I added what should be

mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 88
Quote:
Minister of Offence said "You don't wanna agree that it helps the average observer to have a frame of reference whether athletic background or experience playing hockey? Like generally speaking?

I'd rather continue to argue with you then agree to disagree....but it's up to you, yknow?"

What I disagree with is your original post that the people on the board who questioned Z-bad's upside were most likely people who never played hockey or were not athletically inclined.

It is just as possible to not play hockey or be athletic yet still see be able to identify what makes a player unique enough to make the NHL as it is to be an athletic person and not be able to identify what makes a player unique enough to make the NHL.

I have played my whole life so sure when I see a young player do something special I can say, "Wow, that was a very difficult play to make, I could practice over and over and not be able to do that, etc...". Conversely a person who has not played can watch and still say it was a very difficult play, or smart play or whatever yet not have the personal experience of attempting it.
I have never played hockey, but I have been an athlete for a long time, doing sports like archery, as well as biathlon, running etc. I have watched hockey since I was a child and can tell you with certainty that you're correct. One does not have to play the game of hockey to know it. Watch Gretzky enough growing up, then watch Crosby, Malkin, Ovechken or various other players of lesser caliber and you can tell when a player has possibilities. Zibanejad and Karlsson showed it right away. Zibanejad is surprising me with his physical play on the fore-check this season however.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
I have never played hockey, but I have been an athlete for a long time, doing sports like archery, as well as biathlon, running etc. I have watched hockey since I was a child and can tell you with certainty that you're correct. One does not have to play the game of hockey to know it. Watch Gretzky enough growing up, then watch Crosby, Malkin, Ovechken or various other players of lesser caliber and you can tell when a player has possibilities. Zibanejad and Karlsson showed it right away. Zibanejad is surprising me with his physical play on the fore-check this season however.
You can't say this with "certainty" because you've never played the game. You're simply sharing your opinion.

It's a silly argument you guys are having. Obviously playing a sport gives you more insight into the sport than people who don't play it or never have. This doesn't mean you don't have any insight, nor does it mean that you have less as a life time watcher than a guy who played one game, but all else being equal, the guy who plays the game, or who has played the game, has a deeper level of understanding than you do.

I'm even more surprised at your stance given you claim to be an athlete. Are you saying that my level of understanding of a biathlon is equal to yours because I watch it versus you doing it?

Way too many sensitive people wanting to be the best at everything here...

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote