HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 3.0

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2013, 12:03 PM
  #26
DylanSensFan
Walk On!
 
DylanSensFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
You can't say this with "certainty" because you've never played the game. You're simply sharing your opinion.

It's a silly argument you guys are having. Obviously playing a sport gives you more insight into the sport than people who don't play it or never have. This doesn't mean you don't have any insight, nor does it mean that you have less as a life time watcher than a guy who played one game, but all else being equal, the guy who plays the game, or who has played the game, has a deeper level of understanding than you do.

I'm even more surprised at your stance given you claim to be an athlete. Are you saying that my level of understanding of a biathlon is equal to yours because I watch it versus you doing it?

Way too many sensitive people wanting to be the best at everything here...

If you know all the rules yes... I am not saying I know everything there is about hockey. But I can see a good player immediately and know they are a good player. Because I did not "play hockey", does not mean I never skated, or played for fun. My parents could never afford to have me play it and so other sports came around that at first were more affordable. Biathlon is not that affordable as time goes on, but still cheaper than hockey. I paid my own way doing biathlon and most of the time for archery too.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:22 PM
  #27
HockeySens
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I added what should be
Nah, Greening should in in line 1, latendresse, line 2

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:29 PM
  #28
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,398
vCash: 500
I wonder if Z can be a serious top powerforward in the leauge, say put up 70 points on top of everything else.

As far as talent evaluation goes, no one is born a scout or anything else, simply learning under a scout may help more than just playing or even watching.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
  #29
ATdaisuki
invisible
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan the Great View Post
A question I have is what happens with Zibanejad when Spezza returns from injury? Zibanejad looks a lot better at center than he does on the wing. I don't think Turris has played the wing since coming to Ottawa. Turris has a 49.3FO% while Zibanejad has a 47.6FO%.
spezza line one
turris line 2a
zibby line 2b

whichever of the second lines plays better in a certain game gets more ice time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey View Post
I added what should be
or we could roll with

greening - spezza - michalek
conacher - turris - alfie
latendresse - zibby - silf
condra - smith - neil

i want to try conacher in that turris line to try and jump start it. we already know that latendresse - zibanejad - silfverberg works.

ATdaisuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:06 PM
  #30
God Says No
Registered User
 
God Says No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 5,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATdaisuki View Post
greening - spezza - michalek
conacher - turris - alfie
latendresse - zibby - silf
condra - smith - neil
that's exactly what i'd like to see. kassian can play the occasional game here and there.

God Says No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:13 PM
  #31
Ice-Tray
Registered User
 
Ice-Tray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,874
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
If you know all the rules yes... I am not saying I know everything there is about hockey. But I can see a good player immediately and know they are a good player. Because I did not "play hockey", does not mean I never skated, or played for fun. My parents could never afford to have me play it and so other sports came around that at first were more affordable. Biathlon is not that affordable as time goes on, but still cheaper than hockey. I paid my own way doing biathlon and most of the time for archery too.
This all makes sense. I think where people are getting stuck is with this idea that if you've never played hockey you don't understand it. This is not an argument that anyone is making. The idea was simply that all things being equal, the life long fan who does not play hockey will know the game very well, the life long fan who also plays hockey will know the game very well, but will have the added understanding of what it's like to be on the ice, and what is physically needed to do some of the things we see on TV. It doesn't render the first fan as useless, all it does is add to a fans (or any one else's for that matter) level of understanding. It's hard to argue otherwise in my opinion.

Ice-Tray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:30 PM
  #32
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Zibanejad is very good but interesting he wasnt great in SEL the last year. It show me that the stats in Europe arent always important.

mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:35 PM
  #33
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 13,058
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Well, if you want a worse player and a worse team, you can certainly go ahead and pick Berglund.

Zibanejad should be one of the 4 centres. Not only does he deserve it based on ability, he'd also be the only right handed shot at centre for the Swedes.

I think we can all agree Zib has found his inner ninja.
As I said it might happen he's better next year but right now he is not. I really think you underestimate Berglund. If Zibby continues to develop at the rate he is doing right now. He'll be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Zibanejad is very good but interesting he wasnt great in SEL the last year. It show me that the stats in Europe arent always important.
While true, it's probably more development than anything else. He's still young, he didnt light up the AHL either earlier this season.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:14 PM
  #34
VictorLustig
Registered User
 
VictorLustig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 5,309
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt-svk View Post
Zibanejad is very good but interesting he wasnt great in SEL the last year. It show me that the stats in Europe arent always important.
Players under the age of 20 often have a hard time scoring in the SEL, basically every team plays a strict defensive system and it often takes time for a young player to establish themselves. Zibanejad's seasons in Sweden were still very good considering his age. I also think the smaller rinks and the physical hockey fits him much better than european hockey. Getting the chance to play in the NHL was probably a major confidence boost for him. The biggest surprise so far is the level of his hockey sense and playmaking, I thought it was underrated before the season but it looks like one of his strengths now. His speed when back-checking has also stood out for me.

VictorLustig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:35 PM
  #35
mt-svk
CBJ/OTT fan
 
mt-svk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,869
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
Players under the age of 20 often have a hard time scoring in the SEL, basically every team plays a strict defensive system and it often takes time for a young player to establish themselves. Zibanejad's seasons in Sweden were still very good considering his age. I also think the smaller rinks and the physical hockey fits him much better than european hockey. Getting the chance to play in the NHL was probably a major confidence boost for him. The biggest surprise so far is the level of his hockey sense and playmaking, I thought it was underrated before the season but it looks like one of his strengths now. His speed when back-checking has also stood out for me.
I cannot say for SEL 100% but whats happen KHL you cannot say on the stats of players always. Example, who is better... Sergei Zinovyev or Dmitri Makarov? And who has better stats? There is very important how is the coach and how is the tactic of the team in Europe. So not only youngs but older too. If you see the representation of Russia and than look at stats you see that many players with good stats didnt call to there. And many players with great KHL stats played bad in international and players with no so good great.
There are less teams in SEL but the true that not so good like KHL so IMHO something similar is there too.


Last edited by mt-svk: 04-09-2013 at 04:10 PM.
mt-svk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:42 PM
  #36
OD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice-Tray View Post
This all makes sense. I think where people are getting stuck is with this idea that if you've never played hockey you don't understand it. This is not an argument that anyone is making. The idea was simply that all things being equal, the life long fan who does not play hockey will know the game very well, the life long fan who also plays hockey will know the game very well, but will have the added understanding of what it's like to be on the ice, and what is physically needed to do some of the things we see on TV. It doesn't render the first fan as useless, all it does is add to a fans (or any one else's for that matter) level of understanding. It's hard to argue otherwise in my opinion.
I agree this is beyond silly now but the original post made an assumption that the people on here who might not have been as high on Z-bad had that thought because they never played hockey or were not athletic - almost word for word.

My only point is that I believe that to be a gross generalization.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:12 PM
  #37
SenzZen
I Ain't Even Mad
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post
I agree this is beyond silly now but the original post made an assumption that the people on here who might not have been as high on Z-bad had that thought because they never played hockey or were not athletic - almost word for word.

My only point is that I believe that to be a gross generalization.
I think his point- which was undoubtedly a generalization- was that most of the posters who were skeptical of Zbad were likely just looking at his career statline, and couldn't understand what would warrant taking him over Couturier (in particular).

Couldn't say for sure, but he's generally a very respectable/respected poster.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:59 PM
  #38
FolignoQuantumLeap
Its a trap
 
FolignoQuantumLeap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,627
vCash: 500
No points tonight but he takes that shot, shakes off the cobwebs, comes back and is still the best player on that line. Shows some character, which is why I think the scouting staff liked him over a Couturier who has an equally impressive tool set.

I really think the world of this kid.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:15 AM
  #39
Bileur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,632
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
No points tonight but he takes that shot, shakes off the cobwebs, comes back and is still the best player on that line. Shows some character, which is why I think the scouting staff liked him over a Couturier who has an equally impressive tool set.

I really think the world of this kid.
I can't believe this team lets the 19 yo with a concussion history take unpunished headshots.

What happened to the McLean who unleashed Carkner and Konopka all over teams last season?

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:37 AM
  #40
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie
 
CanadianHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Petawawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,937
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
I can't believe this team lets the 19 yo with a concussion history take unpunished headshots.

What happened to the McLean who unleashed Carkner and Konopka all over teams last season?
Carkner and Konopka have been replaced by Kassian, who can't take the regular shift that those two could. On top of that, the injuries to Spezza and Michalek mean Smith and Neil are more valuable for us on the ice than in the penalty box, so they're less likely to be used for retribution (and neither is really a heavyweight).

At any rate, I don't think it was that bad a hit. Looked more awkward than dirty to me. I don't think retaliation was absolutely essential on that hit.

__________________
CanadianHockey_________ _ _ _ _ _______Sens, Oilers, and Team Canada
CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:12 AM
  #41
OD99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenzZen View Post
I think his point- which was undoubtedly a generalization- was that most of the posters who were skeptical of Zbad were likely just looking at his career statline, and couldn't understand what would warrant taking him over Couturier (in particular).

Couldn't say for sure, but he's generally a very respectable/respected poster.
I don't disagree but you know what also gets respect? Being able to admit you said something that was inaccurate or that wasn't taken the right way, etc...

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:11 PM
  #42
ILLESToO
Registered User
 
ILLESToO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,742
vCash: 500
Saw Zibby much more than Couturier tonight, I adore this player !!

ILLESToO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:15 PM
  #43
Hale The Villain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,605
vCash: 500
Special talent.

Knew was big, could skate and had a great shot, but his vision/playmaking skill is amazing me. His hands are a lot better than I thought too.

Hard to believe this guy was struggling to put up points in Binghamton.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:18 PM
  #44
Senscore
The Superior B-Side
 
Senscore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,721
vCash: 500
clutch bleeding

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:20 PM
  #45
Smeddy
Intangibles
 
Smeddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kanata
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,475
vCash: 50
He was confident tonight, I loved it. He looked like Ovechkin out there.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:21 PM
  #46
TristanH
Registered User
 
TristanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
To think he's only 19.... this kid has huge potential. It's amazing the difference in his skating, puck handling ability and vision since his short stay at the beginning of last season..

TristanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:33 PM
  #47
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 30,638
vCash: 500
Will be a top 10 player in the league. Already looks like a very good 2nd line center and he hasn't even scratched the surface.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:37 PM
  #48
great1
Registered User
 
great1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fergus, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanH View Post
To think he's only 19.... this kid has huge potential. It's amazing the difference in his skating, puck handling ability and vision since his short stay at the beginning of last season..
His 20th birthday is a week today.

I think I might have to get a Zibby jersey, he is becoming one of my favourite Sens.

great1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:49 PM
  #49
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,511
vCash: 500
zibanejad + anderson > landeskog + elliot

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:56 PM
  #50
WhiteLight*
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 16,082
vCash: 500
Just 1 shot and a -1 but he was a beast. Good stuff

WhiteLight* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.