HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 3.0

Old
04-12-2013, 11:34 AM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Just 1 shot and a -1 but he was a beast. Good stuff
Once he finds the target with those wristers...

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:56 AM
Curtinho
Spero Meliora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Will be a top 10 player in the league. Already looks like a very good 2nd line center and he hasn't even scratched the surface.
It's probably wise to ease up on those kind of expectations.

Crosby, Malkin, Chara, Weber, Karlsson, Ovechkin, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, etc. etc.

He looks like he's going to be a very good player for us. He's highly unlikely to be a top 10 player in the league.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Daffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
It's probably wise to ease up on those kind of expectations.

Crosby, Malkin, Chara, Weber, Karlsson, Ovechkin, Giroux, Stamkos, Tavares, Hall, etc. etc.

He looks like he's going to be a very good player for us. He's highly unlikely to be a top 10 player in the league.
I don't know why such stupid predictions like this are thrown out there. Why can't we just enjoy the way Mika is playing? To say, at the age of 19, and after playing very few games in the NHL, that he will be a top 10 player in the league is ridiculous.

He has looked great. Well, I have been on a cruise the past week, but I've read here this morning that he has played great recently lol.

Daffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:35 PM
Xspyrit

vCash: 1000
Zibanejad just has much more to offer than Couturier and it isn't really close. Doesn't mean he will have a better career than Couts but maybe "doubting people" can finally see why the Sens staff picked up Zibanejad before at the draft table, just much more potential and an "it" factor that you won't find in Couturier (unless he improves drastically)

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 12:42 PM
Bojovnik

Send a message via MSN to Bojovnik
I just love watching this kid play hockey. He's so damn entertaining to watch. Great stuff.

Bojovnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 01:29 PM
DrEasy
Out rumptackling

It seems to me that he's improving with each game, whereas Silf has been more inconsistent.

DrEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
SenzZen
Cool Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
It seems to me that he's improving with each game, whereas Silf has been more inconsistent.
Agreed.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 04:59 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEasy View Post
I think he has been more prepared to play in NA than Silf. He has also spent less time in the SEL and plays a different style of game than Silf which all equate to an easier transition. Silf has been good, but I think he has hit a bit of a wall. The one thing about that entire line, they are all buzzing almost every time they are on the ice. They hemmed in the opposition a few times last night and on previous nights. I noticed it more so against philly though. This bodes well for Silf, Conacher and definitely Zib... when they start hemming in the opposition and tiring them out, we will start to see a lot of goals coming.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 12:19 PM
tony d
Team Canada

Great to see Zibanejad doing so well. Kid looks like the real deal.

04-13-2013, 06:32 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xspyrit View Post
Zibanejad just has much more to offer than Couturier and it isn't really close. Doesn't mean he will have a better career than Couts but maybe "doubting people" can finally see why the Sens staff picked up Zibanejad before at the draft table, just much more potential and an "it" factor that you won't find in Couturier (unless he improves drastically)
If I remember correctly it had something to do with Couturier's attitude when they brought him in for his pre-draft evaluation. They also mentioned that Zibanejad was already a very good two way player & exceptional defensively. I was a Couturier proponent but now I think as Zibane matures & gets stronger I too think he will be the better player, Sens were right again. Speed, size & smarts.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:38 PM
BondraTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
If I remember correctly it had something to do with Couturier's attitude when they brought him in for his pre-draft evaluation. They also mentioned that Zibanejad was already a very good two way player & exceptional defensively. I was a Couturier proponent but now I think as Zibane matures & gets stronger I too think he will be the better player, Sens were right again. Speed, size & smarts.
Before the evaluations. Apparently Dorian and the Murray's were at one of Couturiers playoff games, and Murray left in the middle because of Couturiers work ethic.

BondraTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:54 PM
playasRus

vCash: 50
Isn't Couturier playing a shut down role right now in Philly? Doens't that negate the "Zib is a two way player but Couturier is one dimensional" argument?

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Sensinitis

Z-Bane is an awesome nickname. It's like Dragon Ball Z Bane.

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Patvolcom65
@Patvolcom65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
Before the evaluations. Apparently Dorian and the Murray's were at one of Couturiers playoff games, and Murray left in the middle because of Couturiers work ethic.
And then they found Pageau

Patvolcom65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:02 AM
sg58

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Isn't Couturier playing a shut down role right now in Philly? Doens't that negate the "Zib is a two way player but Couturier is one dimensional" argument?
He is their top defensive forward, or at least used as if he were. Don't think anyone is saying Couturier isn't a good defensive forward though, as much as saying Zibanejad is as well.

sg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:28 AM
John Holmes*

Yeah they hate Couturier so much that they just tried to get him.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:20 AM
H2O

I'm sure Ottawa barely preferred Zibanejad over Couturier at the draft. Couturier was invited to Ottawa for evaluation and they said a lot of good things about him as a prospect. Things tend to get blown out of proportion when it's hearsay.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:45 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvolcom65 View Post
And then they found Pageau
The story I heard about Pageau was they really fell in love with him during the Saint John's series in his draft year. He was matched up against Huberdeau (who the Sens went across the river to see play during the Q playoffs) and my buddy overheard someone say something like "Just draft both #11s and we'll be all set".

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:50 PM
stev0888

This is a premature evaluation, but from Zibanejad's showing the past year with Bingo, Ottawa, and last years WJC with Sweden; I see a lot of Hossa in him.

Not to label him as Hossa-lite, but his season is very comparable to Hossa's 98-99 season. Zib's explosive skating style and strength on the puck often show flashes of a young Big Hoss. They also play similar styles in the way of a bigger forward who sees the ice well and can use his big frame to his advantage.

Hossa - Stat Line in 1998-99 - Full Rookie Season

GP: 60 G:15 A:15 PTS: 30

****Through 82 Games****

GP: 82 G: 20 A: 20 PTS: 40

Zibby - Stats Line in 2013 - Full Rookie Season

GP: 35 G: 6 A: 13 PTS: 19

****Through 82 Games ****

GP: 82 G: 14 A: 30 PTS: 44

I never expect Zibby to become the player that Hossa is, but as an optimistic Sens fan, one can always hope. Nobody knows exactly what kind of player Zibanejad will turn out to be, but for a 19, we have all the reason in the world to be excited.

IMO as our team rises up the standings in the next few years, so will ZBad's game. He's the poster boy for our rebuild, and hell.. Lets see what he can become!

stev0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Magix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev0888 View Post
This is a premature evaluation, but from Zibanejad's showing the past year with Bingo, Ottawa, and last years WJC with Sweden; I see a lot of Hossa in him.

Not to label him as Hossa-lite, but his season is very comparable to Hossa's 98-99 season. Zib's explosive skating style and strength on the puck often show flashes of a young Big Hoss. They also play similar styles in the way of a bigger forward who sees the ice well and can use his big frame to his advantage.

Hossa - Stat Line in 1998-99 - Full Rookie Season

GP: 60 G:15 A:15 PTS: 30

****Through 82 Games****

GP: 82 G: 20 A: 20 PTS: 40

Zibby - Stats Line in 2013 - Full Rookie Season

GP: 35 G: 6 A: 13 PTS: 19

****Through 82 Games ****

GP: 82 G: 14 A: 30 PTS: 44

I never expect Zibby to become the player that Hossa is, but as an optimistic Sens fan, one can always hope. Nobody knows exactly what kind of player Zibanejad will turn out to be, but for a 19, we have all the reason in the world to be excited.

IMO as our team rises up the standings in the next few years, so will ZBad's game. He's the poster boy for our rebuild, and hell.. Lets see what he can become!
umm...you forgot Karlsson...

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:53 PM
playasRus

I'd be thrilled if Zib became a top 45 centre (high end 2nd line centre) in the league.
at the top 10 PLAYER projection.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
stev0888

Quote:
Originally Posted by magix View Post
umm...you forgot Karlsson...

I just meant in the facet that he was our top pick in the 2011 draft, right after BM shipped out the vets and shifted to a youth movement rebuild. Obviously Karlsson is what makes our team go, but from a fans prospective...

Last edited by stev0888: 04-16-2013 at 03:03 PM.
stev0888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Smeddy
Intangibles

He's been our best player the last few games. Amazing on both ends of the ice. His goal last night is a perfect demonstration of that.

Smeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Wondercarrot
Stone, Mr.

He's a much smarter player than i thought he was...
His size and speed are also quite a sight out there, watching him track down, catch and push Jordan Staal around was great.

The fact that he can read the play and make those finesse touch passes so quickly with those other attributes is just awesome.
Cannon shot.
Guy has it all.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Sensinitis

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev0888 View Post

Not to label him as Hossa-lite, but his season is very comparable to Hossa's 98-99 season. Zib's explosive skating style and strength on the puck often show flashes of a young Big Hoss.

Lol I first read that as this is a premature ejaculation but...

Sensinitis is offline   Reply With Quote