HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Mika Zibanejad is the real deal 3.0

Old
04-17-2013, 11:31 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
They've generated a ton of chances so I wouldn't worry about Silf not scoring lately.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Minister of Offence

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I'm not the biggest Couturier supporter out there. I just said that he is going to make a lot of teams regret passing on him.

I got over the non pick in a unit of time so short that it can't be measured.

Maybe Zibanejad will be the better player when it's all said and done, I don't know. Neither does anyone else.

All I ever questioned were the lofty projections that some were dreaming up, and of course the logic that he's great because Murray picked him.

It's great that he's proving that he belongs in the NHL and scoring at a 45 point pace as a rookie is pretty good too.
Better than a Murray basher, I guess. Although I never used that logic.

Clear skill and tools often prevail. This is what were seeing, and I'd put the odds of Zibanejad > Couturier at 2:1..or 1.5/1 or something.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Better than a Murray basher, I guess. Although I never used that logic.

Clear skill and tools often prevail. This is what were seeing, and I'd put the odds of Zibanejad > Couturier at 2:1..or 1.5/1 or something.
The comparisions to Couturier should stop. It does not matter if Courtier becomes a far better 90 point guy. We picked Zibby and he just turned 20. Zibby is so clearly an excellent NHL forward. One that easily looks like he is going to sustain his play and continue to improve. He is the best forward on the second line of a playoff team... As a 19 year old. He was a good pick. I don't look at a draft and get upset if there are better players at the picks after. Did we get a really good player that helps us for many years? Yes then it is a win.

This is not like Brian Lee where we made a terrible, terrible pick with a high first rounder.

Same thing with Kadri vs Cowen. Both are great. Neither team should be second guessing.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:26 AM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
The comparisions to Couturier should stop. It does not matter if Courtier becomes a far better 90 point guy. We picked Zibby and he just turned 20. Zibby is so clearly an excellent NHL forward. One that easily looks like he is going to sustain his play and continue to improve. He is the best forward on the second line of a playoff team... As a 19 year old. He was a good pick. I don't look at a draft and get upset if there are better players at the picks after. Did we get a really good player that helps us for many years? Yes then it is a win.

This is not like Brian Lee where we made a terrible, terrible pick with a high first rounder.

Same thing with Kadri vs Cowen. Both are great. Neither team should be second guessing.
No its not the same thing. Cowen > Kadri. Kadri had a hotsteak - big deal. Mark my words, Cowen is going to be a monster meanwhile Kadri will be a good small annoying point producer but he will never dominate a playoff round the way that Cowen in 5 years will.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2010 View Post
No its not the same thing. Cowen > Kadri. Kadri had a hotsteak - big deal. Mark my words, Cowen is going to be a monster meanwhile Kadri will be a good small annoying point producer but he will never dominate a playoff round the way that Cowen in 5 years will.
Of course it is the same thing. Kadri is top 15 in scoring. Either team should not second guess. They both got studs. You seem to miss my point. It doesn't matter about second guessing if you get a stud player. Maybe if you pick a crap player like Lee. Pick a top 15 scorer... At 6th or 7thin the draft. You don't look back.

Old
04-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post

I've used this rationale before, and it's a good one.

I think we made the right "guess" regardless of what happens and how we look at it in hindsight. Like I said, you hedge your bets with the player with better tools, we did that, and I expect regardless of what happens we'll continue to reap rewards.

We have great talent evaluators. Trust them. Draft/develop isn't about being 100%, it's about being more right then wrong, and being more right than as many other teams as possible.

We. Are. Killing. It.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:41 AM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
They've generated a ton of chances so I wouldn't worry about Silf not scoring lately.
Ovechken didn't score for a while either, now look at him.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:08 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

vCash: 87
Quote:
Unless of course we had picked Kadri like we were going to if the Leafs hadn't.

Then it would be different.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 12:13 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Kadri has only really met our second meanest defense man.

Old
04-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanSensFan View Post
Kadri has only really met our second meanest defense man.
A huge open ice hit by Cowen on Kadri would be awesome to see.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:04 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Kadri was the safer pick, Cowen with his injury at the time was a risk/reward player.

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Cowen Time

Quote:

Ahhh, how sure are you that it wasn't a Murray mind psyche because Quinn is used to living off of Murray's draft selections!

Never have understoof some Leafers talking about the Leafs "stealing" Kadri - you have a higher pick, you get the choice. It isn't like the Sens passed him up.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:38 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Alfie View Post
Ahhh, how sure are you that it wasn't a Murray mind psyche because Quinn is used to living off of Murray's draft selections!

Never have understoof some Leafers talking about the Leafs "stealing" Kadri - you have a higher pick, you get the choice. It isn't like the Sens passed him up.
No, sssh. This doesn't fit into the narrative that Burke manhandled Murray at the draft.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:39 PM
ybsad

I really like Zibanejed's game. I've named that kid line,

The Silfbanecher line

ybsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 01:44 PM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Alfie View Post

Florida stole Huberdeau from us.

Senateurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:19 PM
R2010

Quote:

That's not true. Cowen was our first choice. Not only has Backdoorpass said that but Pierre Mcguire said on the Team 1200 that he was told by either Brian Burke or Bryan Murray that Murray wanted Cowen the whole time.

R2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Sens Rule

Quote:
That's not true. Cowen was our first choice. Not only has Backdoorpass said that but Pierre Mcguire said on the Team 1200 that he was told by either Brian Burke or Bryan Murray that Murray wanted Cowen the whole time.
So glad Burke is gone. How did the Leafs become almost entirely about h his entire tenure? Not a Leafs fan but I like the focus on Reimer, Lupul, Kessel, Phaneuf... Winning games.... Not on Burke's blustery ego and his stupid press conferences.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:11 PM
playasRus

Kadri, Cowen, both are really showing why they're worthy of top 10 picks. We're still not sure who's going to have a better career though.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 05:37 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
Kadri, Cowen, both are really showing why they're worthy of top 10 picks. We're still not sure who's going to have a better career though.
A post wisdom teeth Zibanejad...

Old
04-19-2013, 04:15 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

that kid was ridiculous last night.
he's getting better by the game at this point.
20! he's 20 freaking years old and playing that kind of a complete game!
Amazing.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 01:36 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

There was this one shift he had tonight where he was absolutely dominant in the offensive zone physically holding his own against a couple forecheckers. 2nd period with 1 minute left. He took 3 shots on net on that one shift where he kept stealing the puck back and setting up plays.

He then goes back and makes 2 huge defensive plays, one of which where the puck bounces off stanchion right infront of Andy and he clears it.

This guy is going to be something.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 03:59 AM
Sikhander

I really like how Mika has played so far and I love how that entire line plays. They are working so hard. It is a joy to see.

Sikhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:16 AM
ViCiieux

I just watched his faceoff percentage from last night, 18%.
Is it always so low?

ViCiieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-06-2013, 05:24 AM
benjiv1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCiieux View Post
I just watched his faceoff percentage from last night, 18%.
Is it always so low?
Not typically.

He was our best faceoff man for the last 15 games of the season.

Montreal is really good as a whole at winning faceoffs, and as a result most of our centres are putting up bad numbers.

benjiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote