HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Preference on next ASG:

View Poll Results: Preference
NHL plays in Sochi games, CBJ host 2015 ASG 46 90.20%
NHL doesn't play, 2014 ASG hosted by Cbus. 3 5.88%
Other (list scenario) 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
  #1
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!
 
Zoo16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
Preference on next ASG:

There's been more talk lately about whether the NHL & IIHF come to an agreement about NHLers playing in the 2014 winter olympics. Which scenario do CBJ fans prefer.

Personally, I like the NHL taking part in the winter games. So I vote they play and CBJ wait and host 2015 ASG.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:09 PM
  #2
Columbus Mike
Next CBJ GM
 
Columbus Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 708
vCash: 272
Play hockey during the summer Olympics. If basketball can do it, so can hockey.

Columbus Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:16 PM
  #3
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,387
vCash: 500
I don't see why anyone would care as long as it is soon. And, no, do not play in the summer. That is their time off. Franky, I'd rather host the draft again. The ASG is a money maker for the city and it would be fun to watch once. But after I see it once, I'll never go again.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:20 PM
  #4
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."
 
CBJSprague24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 52mi from the Nat
Country: United States
Posts: 6,818
vCash: 500
The Olympics are the ultimate All-Star Game. Send NHLers to Sochi in 2014 and bring the ASG back here in 2015.

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:25 PM
  #5
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!
 
Zoo16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Country: United States
Posts: 888
vCash: 500
Of course, this is assuming NHL/Bettman award Columbus the very next ASG.

Zoo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:31 PM
  #6
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
The Olympics are the ultimate All-Star Game. Send NHLers to Sochi in 2014 and bring the ASG back here in 2015.
You mean other than the Olympics being a world wide championship and the All-Star game being a lame exhibition in which the fans try and stuff the ballot boxes so they can get a bunch of players from their own team, deserving or not?

I get what you were trying to say, but I wouldn't even attempt to compare them.

At least when we finally get one, we might have a worthy vote again with Gaborik.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:46 PM
  #7
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
I'd rather the Olympics be all amateur, but since that'll never happen, each country should be able to send the best players.

My problem is that I usually end up cheering for the other countries, as I just can't bring myself to cheer for players like Kane and Backes

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:59 PM
  #8
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'd rather the Olympics be all amateur, but since that'll never happen, each country should be able to send the best players.
To each their own, but I never understood why it matters. You can't compete because you made it your profession? Seems quite unfair. Hell of a lot of countries turned these people into professionals in all but name.

For hockey you already have the WJC, which is mostly amateur in concept.

No interest in really debating it. I've heard the arguments before, I haven't found them compelling. Just comments on my part really.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:11 PM
  #9
Skraut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Enter city here
Posts: 10,344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
To each their own, but I never understood why it matters. You can't compete because you made it your profession? Seems quite unfair. Hell of a lot of countries turned these people into professionals in all but name.

For hockey you already have the WJC, which is mostly amateur in concept.

No interest in really debating it. I've heard the arguments before, I haven't found them compelling. Just comments on my part really.
I'd rather have amateurs, because I'd rather have a team. Something built 8-10 months before the event, and a chance to grow together, bond, and become more than a collection of very good individuals. This falls to amateurs since pro athletes can't get that time off from the teams paying their salary.

WJC is just an all star game of players coming from their various junior teams.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:13 PM
  #10
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,501
vCash: 500
Olympics in '14 and '15 ASG in Columbus.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:15 PM
  #11
Roadman
Moving On
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: London OH
Country: United States
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'd rather have amateurs, because I'd rather have a team. Something built 8-10 months before the event, and a chance to grow together, bond, and become more than a collection of very good individuals. Since pro athletes can't get that time off from the teams paying their salary.

WJC is just an all star game of players coming from their various junior teams.
Problem comes in defining amateur. As mentioned the "Red Army" teams were hardly amateurs. The track and field teams of today are hardly amateur.

The genie is out of the bottle and there's no putting it back. Miracle is never going to happen again.

__________________
__________________

I post, therefore I am.
Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:08 PM
  #12
blahblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 16,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
I'd rather have amateurs, because I'd rather have a team. Something built 8-10 months before the event, and a chance to grow together, bond, and become more than a collection of very good individuals.
I get your point. You want a true national team.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 02:57 PM
  #13
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky
 
CBJBrassard16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,845
vCash: 500
2015. I love Olympic hockey

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:25 PM
  #14
RDriesenUD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,939
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
2015. I love Olympic hockey
I agree with this, but I voted for 2014, because I think we need to build off of this season (continue to get more fans back) and having the ASG here next year would help.

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:07 PM
  #15
davidbklyn
Registered User
 
davidbklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
I don't like the idea that CBJ fans would prefer to disregard the rest of the fans of hockey only because the All Star Game may be held in Columbus. Would rather the poll just be Olympics 2014, ASG 2015 or no Olympics, ASG 2014 in whatever city.

I wouldn't want another team to put their interests before the Olympics, if Olympic indifference wasn't already a factor

Sorry, that's wordy. What I mean is, never mind where the ASG is held. Do you want an ASG next season, or do you want NHL players in the Olympics? That's all that should matter. Just because we *might* get the ASG shouldn't change how we approach that situation.

Know what I mean?


Last edited by davidbklyn: 04-11-2013 at 12:18 AM. Reason: clarification
davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:31 PM
  #16
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"
 
leesmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15,300
vCash: 500
An NHL All-Star Game without the Russians is a watered-down All-Star Game. I'm not saying the Russians are "all that," but I don't want our event to be overshadowed by the fact the Russians are home playing for their Olympic team rather than here.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:27 AM
  #17
davidbklyn
Registered User
 
davidbklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
An NHL All-Star Game without the Russians is a watered-down All-Star Game. I'm not saying the Russians are "all that," but I don't want our event to be overshadowed by the fact the Russians are home playing for their Olympic team rather than here.
I think the All-Star game is a watered down affair in the best of times, but does is break down like that, between Russian players and everyone else? Sorry, I don't know the nuances here. Who determines player eligibility? Can Russia supersede all other contracts/arrangements to manipulate where Russian-born players play?


davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:39 AM
  #18
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor
 
pete goegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 11,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbklyn View Post
I think the All-Star game is a watered down affair in the best of times, but does is break down like that, between Russian players and everyone else? Sorry, I don't know the nuances here. Who determines player eligibility? Can Russia supersede all other contracts/arrangements to manipulate where Russian-born players play?

Several Russian players, most notably Ovechkin, have said they'll play in the Olympics no matter what the NHL does. With the KHL as an alternative and a willingness to disregard contracts suspected, they can put alot of pressure on the NHL to work things out. Seems that insurance coverage is the biggest hangup, beause the worldwide PR benefit of NHL players in the Olympics is pretty clear to all. I suspect we'll see what most here seem to want: NHL players in Sochi in '14 and all-stars in Columbus in '15.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:48 AM
  #19
davidbklyn
Registered User
 
davidbklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 1,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Several Russian players, most notably Ovechkin, have said they'll play in the Olympics no matter what the NHL does. With the KHL as an alternative and a willingness to disregard contracts suspected, they can put alot of pressure on the NHL to work things out. Seems that insurance coverage is the biggest hangup, beause the worldwide PR benefit of NHL players in the Olympics is pretty clear to all. I suspect we'll see what most here seem to want: NHL players in Sochi in '14 and all-stars in Columbus in '15.
Thank you, Pete, I hadn't heard that.

davidbklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:38 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.