HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cutta farmed

Closed Thread

Old
09-24-2003, 03:31 PM
txpd

vCash: 500
Cutta farmed

The Caps sent out Jakub Cutta today leaving 10 defensemen in camp.
Reports are that the Caps will keep 7. Left are Gonchar, Witt, Doig, Boumedienne, Eminger, Kwiatkowski, Berry, Fortin, Yonkman, and Gruden.
The reports and the rumors that I have heard lately have Gonchar-Boumedienne, Witt-Eminger, Doig-Kwiatkowski and Gruden staying.
Fortin goes to IR, Yonkman goes to Portland and Berry gets taken off waivers at the draft or when they send him down.

Old
09-24-2003, 04:33 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
txpd,

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd
The Caps sent out Jakub Cutta today leaving 10 defensemen in camp.
Reports are that the Caps will keep 7. Left are Gonchar, Witt, Doig, Boumedienne, Eminger, Kwiatkowski, Berry, Fortin, Yonkman, and Gruden.
The reports and the rumors that I have heard lately have Gonchar-Boumedienne, Witt-Eminger, Doig-Kwiatkowski and Gruden staying.
Fortin goes to IR, Yonkman goes to Portland and Berry gets taken off waivers at the draft or when they send him down.
Aren't both Fortin and Yonkman injured? Gruden was signed expressly with intention of being in Portland, and Nolan has stated that he is not returning to Portland after last year's disappointing lost development.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:03 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

[QUOTE=CHRDANHUTCH]Gruden was signed expressly with intention of being in Portland[QUOTE]
If that was the case he would have signed an AHL contract...he did not. He's outplaying Kiwi and has a chance at making the roster...he's looked good the times Ive watched him play...impressive to an extent.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:07 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
I was going on the comments attributed to

after Gruden was signed is where Army said that indications are as a depth signing since we truly have no veteran D-man such as Todd Rohloff, who was signed by Columbus, jin

Old
09-24-2003, 05:08 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Aren't both Fortin and Yonkman injured? Gruden was signed expressly with intention of being in Portland, and Nolan has stated that he is not returning to Portland after last year's disappointing lost development.
Nolan Yonkman has stated that if sent to AHL Portland, he won't go?
Where did he say that? Who's fault is it that his developement was lost last year? Who's fault is that he is injuried this year? You can't develope if you can't play.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:17 PM
txpd

This from Cassidy after the Caps 3rd preseason game.......
"He skates so well and he defends," Cassidy said of the 33-year-old Gruden. "He made some good plays. He is a guy who may make our top six. We really don't know."

That doesn't sound a lot like he is a depth guy for Portland only.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:41 PM
Marshall
Too right, man.

"Nolan has stated that he is not returning to Portland after last year's disappointing lost development."

I have to say that I think this is a serious misrepresentation of what Yonkman has said.

From the article hutch pointed me to:

http://sports.mainetoday.com/pirates...spirates.shtml

Take a look and decide if it's an athlete who is declaring his intention to not report to Portland if he is sent down, or an athlete who is stating that he is going to try and do what it takes to stay in DC:

ODENTON, Md. — At an intimidating 6-foot-6, with a look as intense as a big-city cop, Nolan Yonkman need not say much to be convincing. "I'm going to do what it takes to play here."

Don't forget those words.

The Washington Capitals opened training camp Friday with 45 players clamoring for coveted spots on the Caps' roster. Yonkman admits he has no plans to return to Portland.

His timing is ripe: at least three positions on the blueline are vacant this season with fixtures Calle Johansson and Ken Klee gone.

And since Yonkman was poised for the jump even last year before freak injures held him to 24 games, it's as if he'd have to get caught stealing to not make this club.

"I'm not going anywhere if I can help it," said Yonkman.

Capitals Coach Bruce Cassidy, entering his second year at the helm, will have plenty of decisions to make.

Sergei Gonchar and Brendan Witt are the clear veterans of the defense. Jason Doig, big and physical, is likely assured a spot. The rest will fight it out: Joel Kwiatkowski, Rick Berry, J.F. Fortin, Josef Boumedienne, Yonkman, Jakub Cutta, and rookie Steve Eminger, a first-round draft pick.

"I believe they can all play," said Cassidy. "It's very interesting. It's exciting for me to find out who separates themselves."

Yonkman was set for a big year last year. His training camp was an anticipated event. But injuries quickly turned things around. Groin. Broken wrist. Then the oddest of them all: a broken orbital bone that required surgery.

Yonkman said he has healed, and feels no lingering side effects.

"It was some really bad luck," he said. "It was not because I didn't stretch or something. I mean those are broken bones. There's nothing you can do.

"It's in the past. It's gone. The year is over. This is a fresh year, a new year and we'll go from here."

Since defensemen are believed to take longer to mature into the game, Yonkman feels his time in Portland has allowed him to grow mentally stronger and physically bigger.

"You have to be able to handle the big forwards," said Yonkman, who is 15 pounds heavier than last year. "I think that comes with maturity. A big guy like myself was still a kid, but I'm a man now. I'm matured. Now I know I can physically handle grown men here."

He also said he is ready to show he has a mean streak.

"If they're looking for that, I've always been kind of aggressive. I'm there to fight (but) I'm not a fighter. If anything, I've never backed down," said Yonkman. "I've got to be a guy you know when you come down on, you know you're going to pay a price. OK. That's what it's got to be."

NOTES: Who'd have guessed? It took less than an hour of scrimmaging for Darcy Verot to push someone's buttons on the ice Friday. Verot, the former Saint John Flames instigator who signed last month to play in Portland, headlined in the first fight of training camp. His foe: Pirates defenseman Dwayne Zinger, who rarely fights.

The two were tied up in front of the goal when Zinger felt a poke in the face from Verot. They traded punches before being broken apart.

"He was up to his old tricks," said Zinger later. He said the two had spoken already and smiled adding: "You try not to take what happens on the ice off it."

End Article

Not trying to bust you out Hutch, but I think that stating Yonkman isn't going to report to Portland if he's assigned is a dramatic reinterpretation of the quotes.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:42 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

You're the one speculating here, TXPD

that Nolan will be sent to Portland, he expressly stated that he is to be in Washington full-time.

I want you to read the following article published in the Press Herald @ www.portland.com 09/13/03 entitled "Caps hopeful says bad luck is over" that states that Nolan isn't returning here. It was written the day before the blow-up between Angelstad and Verot and featured a incident between Verot and Dwayne Zinger (this is when Washington's Training roster was @ 45.

I then read that Yonkman has a broken or bruised rib injury, so how can that contradict.

He does have a mean streak at times, just depending on who the opponent is.

Old
09-24-2003, 05:52 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
"Nolan has stated that he is not returning to Portland after last year's disappointing lost development."

I have to say that I think this is a serious misrepresentation of what Yonkman has said.

From the article hutch pointed me to:

http://sports.mainetoday.com/pirates...spirates.shtml

Take a look and decide if it's an athlete who is declaring his intention to not report to Portland if he is sent down, or an athlete who is stating that he is going to try and do what it takes to stay in DC:

ODENTON, Md. — At an intimidating 6-foot-6, with a look as intense as a big-city cop, Nolan Yonkman need not say much to be convincing. "I'm going to do what it takes to play here."

Don't forget those words.

The Washington Capitals opened training camp Friday with 45 players clamoring for coveted spots on the Caps' roster. Yonkman admits he has no plans to return to Portland.

His timing is ripe: at least three positions on the blueline are vacant this season with fixtures Calle Johansson and Ken Klee gone.

And since Yonkman was poised for the jump even last year before freak injures held him to 24 games, it's as if he'd have to get caught stealing to not make this club.

"I'm not going anywhere if I can help it," said Yonkman.

Capitals Coach Bruce Cassidy, entering his second year at the helm, will have plenty of decisions to make.

Sergei Gonchar and Brendan Witt are the clear veterans of the defense. Jason Doig, big and physical, is likely assured a spot. The rest will fight it out: Joel Kwiatkowski, Rick Berry, J.F. Fortin, Josef Boumedienne, Yonkman, Jakub Cutta, and rookie Steve Eminger, a first-round draft pick.

"I believe they can all play," said Cassidy. "It's very interesting. It's exciting for me to find out who separates themselves."

Yonkman was set for a big year last year. His training camp was an anticipated event. But injuries quickly turned things around. Groin. Broken wrist. Then the oddest of them all: a broken orbital bone that required surgery.

Yonkman said he has healed, and feels no lingering side effects.

"It was some really bad luck," he said. "It was not because I didn't stretch or something. I mean those are broken bones. There's nothing you can do.

"It's in the past. It's gone. The year is over. This is a fresh year, a new year and we'll go from here."

Since defensemen are believed to take longer to mature into the game, Yonkman feels his time in Portland has allowed him to grow mentally stronger and physically bigger.

"You have to be able to handle the big forwards," said Yonkman, who is 15 pounds heavier than last year. "I think that comes with maturity. A big guy like myself was still a kid, but I'm a man now. I'm matured. Now I know I can physically handle grown men here."

He also said he is ready to show he has a mean streak.

"If they're looking for that, I've always been kind of aggressive. I'm there to fight (but) I'm not a fighter. If anything, I've never backed down," said Yonkman. "I've got to be a guy you know when you come down on, you know you're going to pay a price. OK. That's what it's got to be."

NOTES: Who'd have guessed? It took less than an hour of scrimmaging for Darcy Verot to push someone's buttons on the ice Friday. Verot, the former Saint John Flames instigator who signed last month to play in Portland, headlined in the first fight of training camp. His foe: Pirates defenseman Dwayne Zinger, who rarely fights.

The two were tied up in front of the goal when Zinger felt a poke in the face from Verot. They traded punches before being broken apart.

"He was up to his old tricks," said Zinger later. He said the two had spoken already and smiled adding: "You try not to take what happens on the ice off it."

End Article

Not trying to bust you out Hutch, but I think that stating Yonkman isn't going to report to Portland if he's assigned is a dramatic reinterpretation of the quotes.
That's the initial thought of, and I appreciate you posting the full article, Marshall, isn't exactly fair to Nolan's chance of staying in DC, because he hasn't been assigned here yet, and to say he should be in Portland this year hasn't been decided yet.

I've had the opportunity to see him play albeit prior to the lost year and he was very disappointed after the cracked orbital bone ended his season and he was depressed in a sense.

Old
09-25-2003, 03:40 AM
Sports Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
Are we not allowed to speculate? He is injured yet again and because of that is being outshined by others. Since when does the player decide if he is sent down or not? He has expressly stated he is to be in Washington full-time? Where? I find nothing indicating Yonkman will not return to Portland if reassigned. From that article it is clear he WANTS to be a NHLer this year.

"I'm going to do what it takes to play here."

"I'm not going anywhere if I can help it,"

"I've got to be a guy you know when you come down on, you know you're going to pay a price. OK. That's what it's got to be."

Old
09-25-2003, 06:00 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Junkie
Are we not allowed to speculate? He is injured yet again and because of that is being outshined by others. Since when does the player decide if he is sent down or not? He has expressly stated he is to be in Washington full-time? Where? I find nothing indicating Yonkman will not return to Portland if reassigned. From that article it is clear he WANTS to be a NHLer this year.

"I'm going to do what it takes to play here."

"I'm not going anywhere if I can help it,"

"I've got to be a guy you know when you come down on, you know you're going to pay a price. OK. That's what it's got to be."
He won't be going anywhere if he's injured so Washington's delaying that decision, no, are you saying Fortin should be in Portland, Sports Junkie.

CAPITAL FANS are so dumb, that all they care about focusing on is Caps articles in the Post and the Times, AND NOT on their affiliates and their related articles

Old
09-25-2003, 06:02 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
He won't be going anywhere if he's injured so Washington's delaying that decision, no, are you saying Fortin should be in Portland, Sports Junkie.

CAPITAL FANS are so dumb, that all they care about focusing on is Caps articles in the Post and the Times, AND NOT on their affiliates and their related articles

How did this go from a discussion of what the topic clearly states as Jakub Cutta getting reassigned to Yonkman??????????????

Old
09-25-2003, 07:11 AM
Sports Junkie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sports Junkie
"no, are you saying Fortin should be in Portland, Sports Junkie."

Where did I say that?

"CAPITAL FANS are so dumb, that all they care about focusing on is Caps articles in the Post and the Times, AND NOT on their affiliates and their related articles "

No idea how this has anything to do with anything other than what is clearly a chip on your shoulder about the Portland club. You brought up the Portland article in the support of Yonkman not going back to Portland. I read the article and it clearly does not say what you purported it to say (that he was not going back to Portland). Why focus on Portland when we have you to do that for us? Plus, we are too dumb to know we have an AHL club.

"How did this go from a discussion of what the topic clearly states as Jakub Cutta getting reassigned to Yonkman??????????????"

Topics are not allowed to evolve to include the possiblities for other Dmen in the Caps system or at camp? Sorry I got of topic. Yes, Cutta got sent down. There, end of thread.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:18 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
True, Yonkman won't be going anywhere if he is injured. But he also won't be winning a job in DC if he is injured. If when Yonkman gets healthy he doesn't win a job in DC before the season starts, he will most certainly be sent to Portland. Will he be in the AHL all season? I highly doubt it, especially if he gets his game together quicky and the guys in DC aren't getting the job done. But right now I expect Yonkman to start the season in Portland once he is healthy.

Should Fortin be sent down? Well since he has to pass through waivers first, I don't know. I think the prevailing wisdom is that if we try to send him down he will be picked up by someone. Yonkman can be sent down without losing him to waivers, so if neither one has really done anything to win a job then Yonkman is the logical candidate to send down. Unfortunately I don't see Fortin getting his game back if he isn't playing regularly and I don't see that happening in DC. He is also injured though so I guess we could send him down for a rehab assignment and see how it goes.

Kiwi and Gruden are the two guys who I think can be sent down who won't be picked up via waivers. Berry will definitely be picked up and Fortin likely will be picked up. It sounds like Boumedienne has clearly won a job so he won't be sent down, and he wouldn't pass through waivers without being claimed either, IMHO.

Old
09-25-2003, 07:35 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus
True, Yonkman won't be going anywhere if he is injured. But he also won't be winning a job in DC if he is injured. If when Yonkman gets healthy he doesn't win a job in DC before the season starts, he will most certainly be sent to Portland. Will he be in the AHL all season? I highly doubt it, especially if he gets his game together quicky and the guys in DC aren't getting the job done. But right now I expect Yonkman to start the season in Portland once he is healthy.

Should Fortin be sent down? Well since he has to pass through waivers first, I don't know. I think the prevailing wisdom is that if we try to send him down he will be picked up by someone. Yonkman can be sent down without losing him to waivers, so if neither one has really done anything to win a job then Yonkman is the logical candidate to send down. Unfortunately I don't see Fortin getting his game back if he isn't playing regularly and I don't see that happening in DC. He is also injured though so I guess we could send him down for a rehab assignment and see how it goes.

Kiwi and Gruden are the two guys who I think can be sent down who won't be picked up via waivers. Berry will definitely be picked up and Fortin likely will be picked up. It sounds like Boumedienne has clearly won a job so he won't be sent down, and he wouldn't pass through waivers without being claimed either, IMHO.

So, what we're saying is as of right now, Millhaus, Fortin and Yonkman are in stasis, meaning no decision can be made until healthy, Gruden has from indications made an impression and looks to be as of now, in DC.

so Kiwi or Berry is the logical candidate until either the waiver draft list is announced???????

Boumedienne's status is unknown (Joe has played 10 career games).

Old
09-25-2003, 11:41 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
So, what we're saying is as of right now, Millhaus, Fortin and Yonkman are in stasis, meaning no decision can be made until healthy, Gruden has from indications made an impression and looks to be as of now, in DC.

so Kiwi or Berry is the logical candidate until either the waiver draft list is announced???????

Boumedienne's status is unknown (Joe has played 10 career games).
Yes, that is what I think, Yonkman and Fortin can't really be assessed until they are healthy for at least a little while, and with the season only a couple of weeks away I think Yonkman will likely start the season in Portland because he doesn't have to pass through waivers.

Boumedienne has been playing with Gonchar all camp and has supposedly been playing well, so I think he has won a job already.

I think the 6 defensemen who will be protected in the waiver draft will be Gonchar, Witt, Doig, Boumedienne, Fortin, and Berry. I don't think anyone is going to select Gruden or Kiwi so they will not be protected. Eminger and Yonkman don't need to be protected, though I expect Eminger to start the season in DC as Witt's partner.

Closed Thread