HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jhonas Enroth Thread - What do the Sabres do?

Old
04-09-2013, 02:28 PM
sabrescupchamps2099
Baseball season!

vCash: 500
Jhonas Enroth Thread - What do the Sabres do?

I looked through a couple pages on this board and couldn't find a thread about Enroth and Buffalo's goaltending situation.

So, there were trade deadline rumors about Miller. Turned out not to be true.
Now, there's rumors going around Miller's being shipped during the offseason.

What does Buffalo do with Jhonas? Would he be the starter? Would Leggio take the job?
These last few times Enroth has started haven't been too bad. Overall he has been decent. Doesn't have too many wins in his career here.

I'm a fan of Jhonas and wouldn't mind seeing him be a #1 guy. Thoughts?

sabrescupchamps2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:34 PM
couture23
MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrescupchamps2099 View Post
I looked through a couple pages on this board and couldn't find a thread about Enroth and Buffalo's goaltending situation.

What does Buffalo do with Jhonas? Would he be the starter? Would Leggio take the job?
These last few times Enroth has started haven't been too bad. Overall he has been decent. Doesn't have too many wins in his career here.

He would likely need to share the duties with a vet again. I still don't think he's responsible enough to handle 50+ games, but he could prove me wrong.

couture23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:38 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

vCash: 50
If he isn't the one moved then:

Share duties with vet to be named later.

Start, backed up Leggio/Hackett

Fight it out with Leggio/Hackett

Bring back Mika Noronen and have a real GC.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:40 PM
camcool21

I say ship Miller in the offseason for a King's ransom, and give Enroth the #1 job. I would also sign a less coveted vet to play as a backup, who can reliably start 20-30 games in a season. Idk how Hackett works into all of this. Idk how ready he is for the big time.

camcool21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:42 PM
BuiltTagonTough
Stand still laddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcool21 View Post
I say ship Miller in the offseason for a King's ransom, and give Enroth the #1 job. I would also sign a less coveted vet to play as a backup, who can reliably start 20-30 games in a season. Idk how Hackett works into all of this. Idk how ready he is for the big time.
Most reports Ive read say he's close, if not already set, to be at least a backup competing for a starting job.

BuiltTagonTough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Quote:

Not sure what the bolded means, but for the purposes of this thread, I don't think it matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
He would likely need to share the duties with a vet again. I still don't think he's responsible enough to handle 50+ games, but he could prove me wrong.
Or ~50/50 platoon with Hackett or other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchoolMaster View Post
If A.he isn't the one moved then:

B. Share duties with Miller.

C. Share duties with vet to be named later.

D. Start, backed up Leggio/Hackett

E. Fight it out with Leggio/Hackett

Bring back Mika Noronen and have a real GC.
I added/bolded a couple other scenarios to round out all options. I believe Enroth needs to be assessed in context of all goalies in the Sabres system:

The following are under contract for next season. I have seen none of them play:

Knapp
Lieuwen
Makarov

Makarov should be old enough to play in AHL next year (correct me if I'm wrong), so I expect him in Rochester, along with Lieuwen, with Knapp remaining in ECHL to start season.

I expect Hackett will be retained, given BUF just acquired him. I can't see flipping him in an offseason / draft deal, unless he's used as a sweetner to get someone to take Stafford (e.g.).

Is Hackett waiver eligible or not? I suspect he has >60 NHL appearances, correct, making him waiver ineligible?

Leggio is UFA. I understand he's had a solid year. But not clear to me BUF retains him, especially if they just picked up Hackett. Unless one of Miller/Enroth is moved in offseason, and Leggio retained for system depth. If neither are moved, I would think Leggio wants a chance with a club who has a pending UFA goalie this offseason.

Hackett and Enroth are both RFA. I expect both to be qualified, and at least one of them (my preference Hackett) offered a 2-3 year deal to extend them until BUF knows more what Makarov's trajectory is.

Hackett signing seems to suggest Miller will be out, either in offseason or before trade deadline, either at BUF's choosing, or Miller's choosing.

I think Enroth is in BUF's plan only as long as they need him (#1) to ascertain what a future Hackett / Makarov duo looks like. That could mean he's moved now, or plays another couple years in BUF (e.g., platooning with Hackett).

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:30 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

When Hackett was brought in one of my first thoughts was to wonder if Enroth is thinking about heading back to Sweden, did that occur to anyone else? (aside, Hackett will still be waiver-exempt next year, correct?)

My opinion is to qualify him and see how arbitration shakes out. I'm of the opinion that Miller won't be a part of this team next year and, if that's the case, let Enroth, Hackett and Leggio or a Leggio-like goaltender figure out who gets the NHL minutes.

Ruckus007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:46 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

At this point he's barely backup worthy, let alone a starter. I think they let Hackett and Enroth battle it out in camp for backup duty.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:55 PM
Djp

Quote:

If they trade Miller and :

in return they get a goalie (Halak, Hiller, Crawford, Niemi) then I see Enroth getting traded---likely team would be the Kings who will probably be offering Bernier at the draft for picks/prospects so they need a backup that would be cheap.

In return they DO NOT get a goalie--Enroth stays and competes with Hackett for the job. In 14/15 Makarov after a year in Rochester likely makes the team.

If Miller is not traded and they plan on holding him until the next deadline:

Enroth get traded as part of a trade up. I could see a deal where its Enroth + LA's 2 2nd round picks for LA's 1st round in 2014.

Any deadline trade of Miller would retun a goalie. Personally I think its difficult to move a goalie at the deadline. I could see a deal happeneing mid season because injuries come up. I see miller moved at the draft.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
The following are under contract for next season. I have seen none of them play:

Knapp
Lieuwen
Makarov

Makarov should be old enough to play in AHL next year (correct me if I'm wrong), so I expect him in Rochester, along with Lieuwen, with Knapp remaining in ECHL to start season.

I expect Hackett will be retained, given BUF just acquired him. I can't see flipping him in an offseason / draft deal, unless he's used as a sweetner to get someone to take Stafford (e.g.).

Is Hackett waiver eligible or not? I suspect he has >60 NHL appearances, correct, making him waiver ineligible?
Hackett can still move freely because of his age and number of games played. the only NHL games he played were last season during an injury.

they want Makarov to be the primary starter at Rochester next year. He is AHL eligible next year. They are not expecting him to play with the Sabres.

A big factor in play here is if Miller is moved do they get a veteran goalie back who still has 1 or 2 yrs on their contract (Hiller, Halak, Crawford, Niemi)

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
5 Minute Major

vCash: 374
I wouldn't be surprised to see Enroth not even offered a contract this off season.

JMO, but I could see the Sabres trading Miller, letting Enroth go, signing a cheap UFA and bringing up Hackett.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:37 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
At this point he's barely backup worthy, let alone a starter.
What?

Connor McDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:52 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
What?
For me ... A handful of good games, doesn't erase two handfuls of bad games he's had since backing up Miller. You disagree? That's fine. You won't change my mind

If (after several games, not just 4 or 5) he ever breaks even in the W/L column, I'll change my opinion. I'd like to see Hackett and Enroth battle for backup duty in camp.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
For me ... A handful of good games, doesn't erase two handfuls of bad games he's had since backing up Miller. You disagree? That's fine. You won't change my mind

If (after several games, not just 4 or 5) he ever breaks even in the W/L column, I'll change my opinion. I'd like to see Hackett and Enroth battle for backup duty in camp.
Losses don't signify a bad game. Statistically he's far from the worst backup in the league over the past two years. I won't argue he's starter quality, because that's optimistic and speculative on my part, but to say he barely qualifies as a backup is simply off base.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:18 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Losses don't signify a bad game. Statistically he's far from the worst backup in the league over the past two years. I won't argue he's starter quality, because that's optimistic and speculative on my part, but to say he barely qualifies as a backup is simply off base.
Off your base ... Fine

It's on my base

No insults, no snarky comments, no belittling. Difference of opinion.

Old
04-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Connor McDavid
Generational Poster

Quote:
Off your base ... Fine

It's on my base

No insults, no snarky comments, no belittling. Difference of opinion.
Everyone is entitled their opinion, but how do you support it?

Old
04-09-2013, 07:40 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Everyone is entitled their opinion, but how do you support it?
Laying out paragraphs in an attempt to persuade like some like to do is not something I'm interested in doing. My opinion stands on it's own for me. If your looking for support to justify my opinion, you'll be disappointed. I don't have the time or desire to dig into and pour over stats for 3 hours just so anyone can be persuaded to agree with me. I couldn't care less

Sorry to disappoint

Old
04-09-2013, 09:16 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
If Enroth is the starter next year, they've got a leg up on the 2014 tank job.

04-09-2013, 09:23 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Step 1. Trade Miller, and Vanek for a kings ransom

Step 2. Make Enroth your starting goalie

Step 3. ....

Step 4. Draft Sam Reinhardt

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 12:01 AM
Beerz

I don't think Enroth is brought back next year.

And I am more than fine with that.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 01:39 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
I don't think Enroth is brought back next year.

And I am more than fine with that.
Keep in mind he's restricted.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:50 AM
sabrescupchamps2099
Baseball season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Not sure what the bolded means, but for the purposes of this thread, I don't think it matters.

Or ~50/50 platoon with Hackett or other.

I added/bolded a couple other scenarios to round out all options. I believe Enroth needs to be assessed in context of all goalies in the Sabres system:

Knapp
Lieuwen
Makarov

Leggio is UFA. I understand he's had a solid year. But not clear to me BUF retains him, especially if they just picked up Hackett. Unless one of Miller/Enroth is moved in offseason, and Leggio retained for system depth. If neither are moved, I would think Leggio wants a chance with a club who has a pending UFA goalie this offseason.

Hackett and Enroth are both RFA. I expect both to be qualified, and at least one of them (my preference Hackett) offered a 2-3 year deal to extend them until BUF knows more what Makarov's trajectory is.

Hackett signing seems to suggest Miller will be out, either in offseason or before trade deadline, either at BUF's choosing, or Miller's choosing.

I think Enroth is in BUF's plan only as long as they need him (#1) to ascertain what a future Hackett / Makarov duo looks like. That could mean he's moved now, or plays another couple years in BUF (e.g., platooning with Hackett).
The point of this thread is that Miller has come up in lots of trade rumors and I truly think he's going this summer.
There hasn't been a discussion that I've seen on these boards about what the Sabres do with Enroth IF Miller packs his bags and heads to a Cup-contender.

sabrescupchamps2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:31 AM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by camcool21 View Post
I say ship Miller in the offseason for a King's ransom
"A king's ransom" is the problem: Miller is practically paid a king's ransom as a goalie at a time when many teams will not do that...and don't need to.

Quote:
and give Enroth the #1 job.
I'm not sure he'll sustain his play over the long haul, especially as teams really focus on him.

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:51 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Trade off Miller in the offseason and give him a shot at the starting job with Hackett next year. I reckon there is a good chance one of them will take the reigns, provided it's handled correctly.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:09 AM
camcool21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
"A king's ransom" is the problem: Miller is practically paid a king's ransom as a goalie at a time when many teams will not do that...and don't need to.

I'm not sure he'll sustain his play over the long haul, especially as teams really focus on him.
Except Miller's salary is right in line with the rest of the top starters in the league:
http://www.sportscity.com/nhl-salari...es/2012/11/17/

And he only has one more year left at that rate. It's a very manageable contract unlike Luongo's (who will be lucky to get moved for a bag of pucks at this point).

camcool21 is offline   Reply With Quote