HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL - Playoff Positioning Time

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
Not that I'm taking the Sens lightly but I would rather have this almost. Not that the Sens won't want to kill the Pens, but I just don't like the uneasy feeling I get with division rivals, especially with the way the Islanders, and now Rangers, have been playing.
The Sens have a brutal schedule in the last week: vs PIT, @ WSH, vs PHI, @ BOS. It's possible they still miss out and Winnipeg jumps into the 8th spot.

Here's how I think it'll finish out:

1. PIT
2. BOS
3. WSH
4. MTL
5. TOR
6. NYI
7. NYR
8. OTT or WPG

Old
04-21-2013, 05:26 PM
SirBrad

we're about 10 minutes away from the first time both the Devils and Flyers have missed the playoffs since the Colorado Rockies became the New Jersey Devils 30 years ago.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:30 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Granted Kovalchuk being out has been a big part of their struggles but Brodeur has looked mediocre to bad. I wonder if he's finally done. Of course, every time someone thinks Brodeur is done he follows it up with a Vezina quality season, so we'll see.

Not sad we won't be seeing NJ in the playoffs. That's one team that would make me very nervous because the Pens never seem to be able to solve them on a consistent basis.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:30 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrad View Post
we're about 10 minutes away from the first time both the Devils and Flyers have missed the playoffs since the Colorado Rockies became the New Jersey Devils 30 years ago.
For the Pens its looking more and more like Ottawa or Winnipeg in the first round which I believe (call me crazy if you like) that this Pens B squad could beat in 5 or 6 games and if we finally see the complete A squad in action, can't see anything but a sweep against either one.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:35 PM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
For the Pens its looking more and more like Ottawa or Winnipeg in the first round which I believe (call me crazy if you like) that this Pens B squad could beat in 5 or 6 games and if we finally see the complete A squad in action, can't see anything but a sweep against either one.
whoa there big guy. Aren't the Sens getting Karlsson and Spezza back for the playoffs? that sort of makes me nervous.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:40 PM
Konstantin Koltsov

All of the teams fighting for that 8th spot have something that makes me not want to play them. Can't we get Bettman to give us a bye for the 1st round?

Old
04-21-2013, 05:41 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zatch88 View Post
whoa there big guy. Aren't the Sens getting Karlsson and Spezza back for the playoffs? that sort of makes me nervous.
How many months have they not played in? Playoffs are a little more than a week away, so no concern at all.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:49 PM
SirBrad

Not like they Pens aren't getting back a couple of guys named Crosby, Malkin plus Neal and Martin. But oh whoa, the Sens are getting back two guys we should be shaking in out boots.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:03 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Old
04-21-2013, 06:17 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Sens are my 2nd choice for playoff opponent behind the Jets, Would love to see the pens stick it to there owner and end there season, Sens play games in 3 of the last 4 days of the season including that last game vs Boston on Sunday, Could be a tired sens team first couple games of playoffs.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:18 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

I don't want to play the Sens. People can write them off all they want, but they're getting the best offensive defenseman in the game, Spezza who is capable of producing a lot of points, and they'll have a fire under their ass to beat us because we have Cooke. Add to that the fact that Anderson is a heck of a goalie, and that's a recipe for disaster.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:27 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
I don't want to play the Sens. People can write them off all they want, but they're getting the best offensive defenseman in the game, Spezza who is capable of producing a lot of points, and they'll have a fire under their ass to beat us because we have Cooke. Add to that the fact that Anderson is a heck of a goalie, and that's a recipe for disaster.
Spezza is better than Crosby and Malkin?

And Spezza is still a pretty big if for the playoffs I've heard.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:27 PM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainZappBrannigan View Post
Is Spezza def coming back for round 1? I haven't seen anything about him, Maybe i missed it. Sens are a mess on offense there leading goal scorer has 10 goals, PP is in the bottom half of the league, Really think pens would matchup well vs them.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
The Senators might not even make it in. If we beat them then they swap with the Rangers for 8th but their schedule is tough and Winnipeg could over-take them if they don't get a win or two.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Rangers have better tiebreaker and much better schedule than the Sens. We can control our own destiny and beat the Sens tomorrow and then it will be basically Sens/Jets for us locked. Not too bad, but the Sens are tricky matchup. Sens are definitely the most probable matchup for our R1 right now.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:40 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

I'm hoping we get the Jets. I think we could sweep them.

The best thing is the fact that we have the #1 seed locked up through to the final - unless we face Chicago there.

Getting the two wins at home in the series would be a fantastic start and what we need to do to get any potential "monkey" off our back.

Old
04-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Why are people so worried about Crosby, Neal, Martin, etc. coming back rusty yet scared of an even rustier Karlsson/Spezza coming back? Sometimes you guys confuse me.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Waffle Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Why are people so worried about Crosby, Neal, Martin, etc. coming back rusty yet scared of an even rustier Karlsson/Spezza coming back? Sometimes you guys confuse me.
This is exactly what I was wondering

Old
04-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesedanish87 View Post
I agree NYR don't have the top end talent LAK had, But id take NYR def and goalie when Staal is healthy, I think Dorsett is coming back soon, That will help there bottom 6.
I think LA's defense was more well balanced. The Rangers' best defensemen are more defensively oriented and not much of a threat to add offense. They don't have a gamebreaker, IMO, like Drew Doughty (who was fantastic in the playoffs in both ends of the rink) to provide that spark from the back end. This is one area where Letang being healthy for us is *huge*.

And while Lundqvist may be an overall better goalie than Quick, I don't think Lundqvist has ever played as well as Quick did over that playoff stretch. Quick morphed into the best goalie on the planet by far during the Kings' run.

Also, I do think center depth is huge. Kopitar, Richards, Stoll is better than Stepan, Richards, Brassard by quite a margin.

That's not to suggest the Rangers, should we face them, will be a cake walk. They're more than capable of upsetting the Pens. I just don't think they're a parallel to the Kings of last season because of the above.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
that is so logical it hurts my brain

Old
04-21-2013, 07:22 PM
plaidchuck

Goooo Canes

Old
04-21-2013, 07:32 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Stamkos and St.Louis pick up a point each in the 2nd.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:42 PM
WarriorScholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Stamkos and St.Louis pick up a point each in the 2nd.
With it looking like Crosby not come back before end of season, I'm actually wanting stamkos and St. Louis to keep scoring. Anything to prevent ovechkin from winning the rocket and art Ross.

Old
04-21-2013, 07:44 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Because then there would be no typical Pittsburgh sports fan knee-jerk reaction. Can't have that!

Old
04-21-2013, 08:40 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Test-Tube is so ****ing clutch.

Closed Thread