HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL - Playoff Positioning Time

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 01:23 AM
LetangInTheSO

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
Cooke did not end Savard's career. Savard is no longer playing because he rushed back to play in the playoffs while he was still experiencing symptoms and therefore the fault lies with him and the Bruins doctors. His brain was never given enough time to heal, so his career effectively ended roughly a year later when he sustained another concussion. If I remember correctly, Savard had 5 concussions in the NHL that forced him to miss some length of time, but Cooke's name is always attached to ending his career.

The main reason for this was that the concussion from Cooke's hit was the first while playing for the Bruins, and their fans don't really seem too concerned about the health of players unless they play for Boston, in which case how dare someone injure their player. Since their fans tend to be of the vindictive sort and have a number of high-profile cheerleaders on television (Milbury), Cooke is vilified more than someone like Mike Richards, whose hit to the head on Booth was nearly identical to Cooke's, and even though Booth missed more time than Savard, he played for the Panthers so there was hardly a national outcry.
Thanks for the history lesson re: Savard (I'm being serious).

I don't think the Cooke/Savard & Richards/Booth hits are really that comparable despite appearing somewhat similar at a first glance. Savard really had no way of seeing Cooke coming. His back was almost 90 degrees to Cooke, but Cooke found a way to snake in there, stick out that arm/elbow and clip him. I think that's an instance where Cooke directly targets an unsuspecting player. Booth didn't see Richards coming, but he should have. Booth skates across the blue line carrying the puck, and just doesn't have the wherewithal to see/sense Richards coming right at him.

In any event, I agree that Cooke's reputation is unfairly inflated (for the last two years, for example, he has been "neutered" Cooke yet people still insist that he plays like a monster today). With that said, there's a highlight reel of Cooke's dirty plays that is plenty long that nonetheless paints him as a dangerous guy to me. Again, the easiest way for me to say it is that if I were an NHLer, I wouldn't want to play against Matt Cooke because I wouldn't trust that he has any respect for my safety. Things like kneeing and targeting unsuspecting players are pretty despicable and go beyond just the game of hockey and start to affect guys' lives away from the rink.

EDIT: Went back and watched the replays of both hits. To say that Savard has his back 90 degrees to Cooke would be a gross exaggeration. Still, Cooke really had to go out of his way to make contact there and the ONLY way he was going to make contact with Savard there was by clipping his head. I understand that the game moves very fast and that it's easy for us to dissect these plays in slo-mo. With that said, my point here is that Cooke just found himself doing these things SO many times that it leads me to believe that he doesn't (/didn't?) have a basic level of respect for the guys around him on the ice.

Last edited by LetangInTheSO: 04-23-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 01:48 AM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetangInTheSO View Post
EDIT: Went back and watched the replays of both hits. To say that Savard has his back 90 degrees to Cooke would be a gross exaggeration. Still, Cooke really had to go out of his way to make contact there and the ONLY way he was going to make contact with Savard there was by clipping his head. I understand that the game moves very fast and that it's easy for us to dissect these plays in slo-mo. With that said, my point here is that Cooke just found himself doing these things SO many times that it leads me to believe that he doesn't (/didn't?) have a basic level of respect for the guys around him on the ice.
I totally agree with what you said about how Cooke didn't have any respect for other players and I'm glad that he has cleaned up his game since I never want to see a player get hurt. It just bothers me that Cooke is the only player that is focused on because unfortunately there is no shortage of dirty players in the league. Hell, Ovechkin has ended more careers than Cooke, but with HF's lovefest for him you never hear about that.

Last edited by bambamcam4ever: 04-23-2013 at 01:56 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 02:43 AM
petrskudra1

So Washington now comes into the picture as a possible #8 seed as well. They play WPG-OTT-BOS the rest of the way. I haven't checked out their tiebreakers yet.

Who would you guys rather see NYR or WAS if OTT drops out and WPG takes the three seed?

Old
04-23-2013, 03:16 AM
wheelz87
B2B Predictor Champ

I don't fear Washington one bit. Seriously, I just want to avoid the Rangers at this point. Bring on Ottawa/NYI/Peg/whoever.. just not the Rags.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

It takes 2 losses for the Caps to lose division title. In that case, Ottawa would have to collapse, otherwise they can be 9th. I mean, yes, its possible that the Caps are 8th at the end, but too much theory there. They can also clinch division title tonight..

If I had to choose between NYR and WSH, I would take WSH as our R1 opponent. Not even close. But Ottawa is very likely right now. Spezza skated for 15 minutes, but he remains doubtful for R1. I would be fine with the Sens.

Old
04-23-2013, 03:48 AM
petrskudra1

These are the positives and negatives that I see with each potential match-up.

+Don't see them being able to contain or match our offense.
- If the series becomes a special teams battle, they can put up goals. Althoughso can the Pens, Becomes dependent on who is the hotter team clicking.

+Have had good success against them this season
- Lundqvist can steal a series, team is built for the playoffs.

+Have had good success against them this season. Should be able to wear them down in a seven game series.
- OV has the potential to go off at any time. They have been hot leading up to the playoffs.

+ Not strong defensively, should not be able to keep pace with the Pens.
- Get a 2010 Montreal feel with this team. First time back in the playoffs, games at the MTS Centre could become nightmarish

+ Their offense has been pretty anemic. Young team, Pens should still be able to wear them down physically.
- Anderson can get hot and extend the series, like he did against the Rangers last year. Defense is stingy enough to keep the team in games as well.

With that said if I had to rank them from who I'd want to play to who I want to avoid:

OTT
WPG
NYI
WAS
NYR

Old
04-23-2013, 08:00 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Old School

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I just want nothing to do with that Isles powerplay. They make it look so easy.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:21 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Pens' possible first round opponents and the chances of facing them (from Sports Club Stats):

Ottawa 43.0%
NY Islanders 20.8%
NY Rangers 17.4%
Winnipeg 14.6%
Washington 3.4%
Toronto 0.8%

The win against Ottawa put them in some trouble and made them the most likely opponent for the Pens. I feel the most confident facing the Sens (even with Karlsson potentially coming back) or the Jets.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:49 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Most likely we'd have Ottawa now I'd guess.

Big games tonight. Lots can be all but decided and done.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

I just want to experience a playoff atmosphere in Winnipeg. I think that would be really awesome.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:57 AM
AquaticBirdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I just want nothing to do with that Isles powerplay. They make it look so easy.
Especially with our dreadful PK.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Huge game tonight in DC. Hope the JETS pull it off

Old
04-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Looking at Ottawa's remaining schedule I wouldn't be surprised if they missed the playoffs all together. Philly is the only soff opponent and if they play the spoiler they're certainly capable of beating Ottawa / taking them off their game because of how young they are. Could easily see them getting 0 points from the Crapitals and Bruins and maybe only 1 or none from Philly.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Basically, a lot can be decided today.

Islanders, Washington and Rangers can all clinch today in the East and St.Louis and San Jose can clinch in the West.

Personally, I'd rather face Winnipeg over Washington so I hope Winnipeg win in the SO. That'd mean it'd be;

1 - Pittsburgh
2 - Boston
3 - Washington
4 - Montreal
5 - Toronto
6 - Islanders
7 - Rangers
8 - Jets

This is with the Rangers picking up a point as well. If they don't then Rangers drop to 8th. I'm going to try and go through all the possible outcomes.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Basically, a lot can be decided today.

Islanders, Washington and Rangers can all clinch today in the East and St.Louis and San Jose can clinch in the West.

Personally, I'd rather face Winnipeg over Washington so I hope Winnipeg win in the SO. That'd mean it'd be;

1 - Pittsburgh
2 - Boston
3 - Washington
4 - Montreal
5 - Toronto
6 - Islanders
7 - Rangers
8 - Jets

This is with the Rangers picking up a point as well. If they don't then Rangers drop to 8th. I'm going to try and go through all the possible outcomes.
I'd love to see the Caps lose their last games and miss the playoffs. That's be great, Caps in 9th and Flyers in 10th!!!. That's what I'm cheering for

Old
04-23-2013, 10:22 AM
cheesedanish87

I think im rooting for the Caps tonight, If they win it makes it a very high possibility we end up playing Sens which im happy with, Jets would be pretty much out of it with only 1 game left, NYR and NYI have a very easy schedule and as CV said Sens have a tough schedule. If Jets win tonight u bring in a bunch of different scenarios with the Jets in the 3rd seed and Caps in the 8th seed

Old
04-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Right, before today it's;

1 - Pittsburgh on 70
2 - Boston on 59
3 - Washington on 52
4 - Montreal on 59
5 - Toronto on 55
6 - Islanders on 53
7 - Rangers on 52
8 - Senators on 52
----------------
9 - Jets on 51

Games today;

Montreal @ New Jersey
Winnipeg @ Washington
Islanders @ Carolina
Buffalo @ Pittsburgh
Boston @ Philadelphia
Rangers @ Florida

All play-off teams are playing non play-off teams. Disregard the Montreal and Boston games because they have no effect on clinching. Biggest game is Winniepg v Washington no doubt but the following scenarios are possible;

Washington can clinch with a regulation or OT win over Winnipeg. A SO win isn't enough

The Islanders can clinch with a win of any kind coupled by a Winnipeg loss.

The Rangers can clinch with a win of any kind coupled by a Winnipeg loss.

Winnipeg can't be officially knocked out of the play-off race but they could end up with just the 8th seed to play for however, Ottawa have more games to play and 1 win or 2 points from them in their remaining games would give them the spot.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

One thing that's not being acknolwedged here is if Winnipeg beats Washington and gets a couple more points this week, they're as likely to end up 3rd as 8th. So even if Winnipeg gets in there's no guarantee we get them in round 1 thanks to the ultra-weak SE division and the NHL's ******** playoff system.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:47 AM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

I would be floored if Washington missed. Winnipeg is scraping by against bad teams, they are going to get demolished tonight.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
One thing that's not being acknolwedged here is if Winnipeg beats Washington and gets a couple more points this week, they're as likely to end up 3rd as 8th. So even if Winnipeg gets in there's no guarantee we get them in round 1 thanks to the ultra-weak SE division and the NHL's ******** playoff system.
Winnipeg only has 2 games left, tonight in Winnipeg and they finish their season on Thursday at home to Montreal. It's going to be a long weekend for them if they're hanging on to a spot after Thursday night

Old
04-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Even so, 51 pts vs. 52 and 52 is in 3rd right now while 51 is 9th. That's the NHL system. Just a couple flukey games and everything is upside down.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
This is very true. However, Winnipeg has one more game after tonight. Would be hard for them to hold that.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Washington's extra game is against Boston though so no guarantees, should they lose to Winnipeg and beat Ottawa.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:01 AM
cheesedanish87

Quote:
And if the Jets finish 3rd your giving a team like the NYR the weakest team in the playoffs in the 1st round

Old
04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Frederick Stanley
Shirai Ryu

Wow, I really don't know which game I should watch. The Pens play a meaningless game and Jets/Caps is gonna be awesome.

Closed Thread