HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Momt. Atl. proposal

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2005, 12:22 PM
boomboom

vCash: 500
Momt. Atl. proposal

To Mtl:
G. Exelby
P.Stephan

To Atl:
J. Bulis
C. Rivet
M.Hossa

well Exelby is a tough stay at home D. man that can drop them and dwyer is the proof. Stephan would be a nice fit to Mtl. (he can score about 10 to 15 goals a year).
Bulis is a players that needs more ice time and a change. He s a really good two way player. Rivet plays tough, can score once in a while, but I dont like his attitude. Hossa will be a great player with size...Will be the sa me time of player than Bulis.

Old
04-25-2005, 12:31 PM
Crossroads*

Exelby > J. Bulis
Stephan > Rivet
Why would any team want Hossa? I'm guessing the Canadiens don't renew his contract when it's up, or becomes a permanent resident of the AHL.

---

In my opinion, Atlanta would never do this deal if it were proposed to them.

Old
04-25-2005, 12:43 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Montreal wouldn't make that deal. Where would Patrik Stefan play? As the fourth line center? With Koivu - Ribeiro - Bonk and Bégin, I don't see any spot for him.

Exelby would be a nice addition thought, but Atlanta wouldn't be interested in Rivet.

Old
04-25-2005, 12:45 PM
MontrealSF
Lars Eller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossroads
Exelby > J. Bulis
Stephan > Rivet
Why would any team want Hossa? I'm guessing the Canadiens don't renew his contract when it's up, or becomes a permanent resident of the AHL.

---

Do you often compare defenseman versus forwards ?

Oh, BTW, Hossa had a nice year in the SEL and is still fighting for a spot on a talended Slovakia squad. He'll start the season in Montreal, don't worry about it.

Old
04-25-2005, 12:50 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom
To Mtl:
G. Exelby
P.Stephan

To Atl:
J. Bulis
C. Rivet
M.Hossa

well Exelby is a tough stay at home D. man that can drop them and dwyer is the proof. Stephan would be a nice fit to Mtl. (he can score about 10 to 15 goals a year).
Bulis is a players that needs more ice time and a change. He s a really good two way player. Rivet plays tough, can score once in a while, but I dont like his attitude. Hossa will be a great player with size...Will be the sa me time of player than Bulis.
Stefan >> Bulis. Bigger, better, younger, more productive.

Rivet is a better defender than Exelby right now, but Exelby has far more trade value.

Hossa will likely be on waivers when play resumes. If Montreal can get a 5th-6th round pick for him, they should count themselves lucky.

Montreal would make that deal in a second.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Stefan >> Bulis. Bigger, better, younger, more productive.

Rivet is a better defender than Exelby right now, but Exelby has far more trade value.

Hossa will likely be on waivers when play resumes. If Montreal can get a 5th-6th round pick for him, they should count themselves lucky.

Montreal would make that deal in a second.
Disagree. They currently fill similar roles, and they each have untapped offensive potential. But there is no way that Stefan is hands down better and more productive. I would rather Bulis straight up over Stefan.

Anyway, this deal is a no go for other reasons. If Atlanta loses a center, they would want one back. Ribeiro would probably be a very good fit with Hartley and the Atlanta weapons, but this is only going to invite a bunch of posters to stomp on Ribeiro.

On the other hand, Rivet would be useful to Atlanta, especially if there is salary rollback. He's no star, but he's exactly the kind of 4th defenceman that would stabilize a young team in transition from doormat to playoff team -- which is why the Habs will probably keep him until they upgrade the right side of their defence.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Crossroads*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Forest
Do you often compare defenseman versus forwards ?

Oh, BTW, Hossa had a nice year in the SEL and is still fighting for a spot on a talended Slovakia squad. He'll start the season in Montreal, don't worry about it.
I'm not comparing skill. I'm comparing what they are worth to their respective teams.

Exelby > J. Bulis
Stefan > Rivet

Exelby is worth more to Atlanta than Bulis is to Montreal. Stefan, a former first round pick, is worth way more to Atlanta than Rivet is worth to Montreal.

----

As for the Hossa remark. I'm not worried at all. If Hossa is on the Montreal squad, they'll be at the bottom of the league fighting for a playoff spot.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:02 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Exelby > J. Bulis
Stephan > Rivet

---

1. Let's compare players at the same position
2. Hossa will NEVER be a resident of the AHL
If it's not in the NHL, he will play in Europe
3. Stephan is the next nothing
4. Exelby, well who cares about Exelby
5. You probably sleep with a cat

Old
04-25-2005, 01:07 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

I wouldn't mind this trade, but I don't think Montreal would do it. Rivet is a big lockerroom guy and the guys really like him. I think he's their PA rep, if I'm not mistaken. After losing Quintal, I don't think they will want to get rid of another lockerroom leader.

I beleive Bulis had a huge season in Europe, so I don't see him going anywhere. He's very versitile and pretty cheap, and still developing his game. I see him staying on the team for a little while still.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave
Disagree. They currently fill similar roles, and they each have untapped offensive potential. But there is no way that Stefan is hands down better and more productive. I would rather Bulis straight up over Stefan.

Anyway, this deal is a no go for other reasons. If Atlanta loses a center, they would want one back. Ribeiro would probably be a very good fit with Hartley and the Atlanta weapons, but this is only going to invite a bunch of posters to stomp on Ribeiro.

On the other hand, Rivet would be useful to Atlanta, especially if there is salary rollback. He's no star, but he's exactly the kind of 4th defenceman that would stabilize a young team in transition from doormat to playoff team -- which is why the Habs will probably keep him until they upgrade the right side of their defence.
I like Rivet more than most, think he's a quality 3-4 NHL defender, and would take him on my team any day. His contract is a bit of an anchor, however, and Exelby is already in Atlanta's top 4 at age 23, was excellent as a rookie, and is one of the key building blocks for that franchise. No way in hell they move him to replace him with a 31 y/o to play the same role.

As for Stefan vs. Bulis, I think most people would prefer to have Stefan quite easily.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:08 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles
1. Let's compare players at the same position
2. Hossa will NEVER be a resident of the AHL
If it's not in the NHL, he will play in Europe
3. Stephan is the next nothing
4. Exelby, well who cares about Exelby
5. You probably sleep with a cat
Don't insult him, or his mafia friends will hunt you down!!!

Old
04-25-2005, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not comparing skill. I'm comparing what they are worth to their respective teams.

Exelby > J. Bulis
Stefan > Rivet

Exelby is worth more to Atlanta than Bulis is to Montreal. Stefan, a former first round pick, is worth way more to Atlanta than Rivet is worth to Montreal.

----

As for the Hossa remark. I'm not worried at all. If Hossa is on the Montreal squad, they'll be at the bottom of the league fighting for a playoff spot.
What a weird way to look at things?

I don't get how you're formulating your ideas...

Exelby is a player I like alot, but Rivet would be more useful to a franchise like Atlanta, if Atlanta was a contending team, than it would make more sense for them to hang onto Exelby in this deal as he's young and has intriging potential, but a player like Rivet (for it not for his inflated salary) could be very useful to a team like Atlanta, he could help stabilize their defense and provide leadership and a veteran presence...

Stefan has been a major disapointment so far, it looks like he's reinventing himself into a pretty good checker, and maybe on day could become a Michal Handzus type of player (maybe) but at this point, Bulis is just as useful and could be great addition to the Thrashers...

And as for your Hossa remark?

It's not worth it, your comment about him either playing in the AHL for the rest of his career, shows how much you know about him, if you think the Habs put him on waivers and no team would try to grab him, you're more dillusional than I thought

Old
04-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Crossroads*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 TO MTL
It's not worth it, your comment about him either playing in the AHL for the rest of his career, shows how much you know about him, if you think the Habs put him on waivers and no team would try to grab him, you're more dillusional than I thought
Of course a team would try to grab him (ie, Pittsburgh, Washington) to fill a hole on their depleted roster. Other than that, most would grab him just for a project (on the hopes that he can reach his potential, however doubtful that is).

Old
04-25-2005, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Of course a team would try to grab him (ie, Pittsburgh, Washington) to fill a hole on their depleted roster. Other than that, most would grab him just for a project (on the hopes that he can reach his potential, however doubtful that is).
And one of those teams would no doubt be the Leafs, right now, it's players like Marcel Hossa that you should be paying attention to, talented prospects who haven't live dup to their billing yet, if the Leafs are desperate enough to select Chad Kilger on waivers, I think it's safe to say they'd do the same for a young prospect like Hossa, should the Habs give up on him

Old
04-25-2005, 01:29 PM

I think that it's a pretty fair trade, although I doubt either team would be interested in doing it...

No need to include Hossa on Montreal's end though...

Old
04-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Habsaku

Quote:
I think that it's a pretty fair trade, although I doubt either team would be interested in doing it...

Quote:

I kinda agree.

Rivet has been a huge disapointment since his jaw injury. He used to have a lot of heart, now hes tentative and even though hes a physical presence, well he cant really back up his intentions. Not only that, but his negative sides more often then not outwieght his positives. Of course, he often goes on good streaks, but Exelby could provide more and hes much younger isnt he?

Bulis also has done pretty much nothing when you think about it. I think his defense is pretty overrated, werent we pretty awefull on the PK last two years? Wasnt he a big part of that PK? Also, he has stone hands, he gets tons of chances but doesnt follow through and thats a huge problem considering hes not even that great of a passer. Hes the kinda player fans like because hes fast and looks like hes doing lots things on the ice, but the truth is, hes not a big part of the team, we could very easily replace him and his efforts more often then not end up doing nothing. Hes got the skills though, needs to put it all together.

Stefan I think has done even less and we've already had problems here with floaters. the only thing I like about him is that hes a previous 1st overrall pick, which means squat. I wouldnt want him.

Hossa sucks, hes sucked for a long time and he still does. No progress whatsoever, he still has tons of confidence issues and ridiculously inconsistent. Hes got talent, very very solid talent and hes a huge strong player who can play the boards and score 30 goals. But who cares what he can do if he doesnt do it.

Exelby is a guy I would want for the bottom pairings, but I dont knwo what his cost would be.

Old
04-25-2005, 01:48 PM
Garp

I Think Atl wouldn't do that deal (and I'm an Hab fan)

Excelby is a great prospect who'll become a really good hard hitting Dman and Stefan is a young center with some potential and he's a very good 3rd liner.

Rivest is old and overpayed (but I think he's a little underrated) and Bulis is a ???. He hasn't done much in the NHL, but this year in Europe makes me believe. And Hossa is meaningless in this trade (but I think he's underrated too).

Closed Thread