HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Adding Scoring Punch

Old
04-27-2013, 11:46 PM
StefanW
Get well, Bryan

vCash: 50
Adding Scoring Punch

It is no secret that the Sens are having trouble scoring goals as we head into the playoffs. The trade deadline has long passed, so any help we could get has to come either from a player who is either in the press box or currently down in Bingo.

Question: Of the healthy (not injured) players not currently on the roster, who do you believe would add the most scoring punch to our lineup and why?

StefanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 11:49 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

vCash: 500
Patrick Wiercioch and Mark Stone. Deys good. Deys real good.

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:01 AM
Ski
Calder Cup Champs

Bingo is 1 game into the playoffs..stop already

Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:22 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski View Post
Bingo is 1 game into the playoffs..stop already
Ottawa's needs come WAY ahead of yours. If they need a player they will take him.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:26 AM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
We dont NEED another player from bingo. We already have 2 or 3 forwards that couls play but are scratches. If we take a player from bingo that sours the relationship, also if they go deep in the playoffs it is better for the sens in the long run than calling a player up to get an extra goal.
Tl;dr dont need to call a player up

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:44 AM
Golden
Börk Börk Börk

vCash: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyAlwaysKnows View Post
Ottawa's needs come WAY ahead of yours. If they need a player they will take him.
Don't be an *******. Unless there is a very desperate need, as in sudden injuries, there is absolutely no reason for us to take players from the B-Sens and hurt their playoff chances.

Golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Countdown0
Painfully Honest

Latendresse and O'Brien both have more goals than numerous other players on the roster. Granted, we have no idea what's going on with JOB right now, but assuming he can play, I'd like to see him back in the line-up. We will also need the size these guys bring in the playoffs.

Wiercioch also has 19 points, tied with Greening and Silfverberg, and he's a +8 vs. Gryba's -3. I'd say he deserves to slot into the line-up too.

Other than that, I think Zibanejad needs more ice time, and should play with Alfie.

Right now, the Sens are mostly struggling to convert on chances. Bigger guys who go to the net hard need to be given ice time and they need to pot a few ugly goals to gain some confidence in their offence. Right now, I bet most guys in that locker room don't believe they can score, so they either hesitate on their shots, or they shoot without aiming. Anyone see Michalek's chance from Karlsson? He took long enough to shoot that the Philly goalie moved all the way across the crease to make the save with his shoulder, not even needing to reach for the shot.

Conacher needs more ice time too. He is pretty effect on his shooting percentage, he just doesn't get enough time to get a substantial number of chances.

I think they should have some different lines.

Latendresse-Turris-Neil
Michalek-Zibanejad-Alfie
Greening-Smith-Silfverberg
Neil-Pageau-Condra

Assuming O'Brien isn't an option yet.

Wiercioch needs to slot in as well. Gryba isn't bad, but we get more from Wierchioch. He's just better overall I think.

Countdown0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:52 AM
mcnorth

A lot of the scoring woes aren't the bodies on the ice, it's where the bodies on the ice are. We need a lot of our players to play the game differently, we need them to go hard to the net. The Sens have always struggled when they play on the perimeter, and they've always magically found their scoring 'touch' as soon as they take the puck to the net and guys set up in front of the opposing goaltender. All those beauty wristers that cause rebounds and scrums by EK last night, we had no one willing to stay in the vicinity to fight to push those pucks in the net. Every night you watch the highlights and teams are scoring by doing things the Sens seem to stubbornly refuse to do.

It isn't the players, it's how they play.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:16 AM
newerabegins

Having both Wiercioch and Karlsson would provide some extra scoring punch. Our overall defensive play is affected though since Wier plays sheltered minutes and Karlsson too so far. Puts some extra pressure on Methot, Cowen, Phillips, Gonchar. Other than that what the hell is going on with JOB?! He's not too shabby offensively and would be a better option than say Kassian on the 3rd or 4th line.

I also think Condra should sit a game out. I'm starting to understand why people are saying he might be one of the next ones out in the next couple of years. He's excellent defensively but his serious lack of finish and offensive talent make him a 4th liner rather than a 3rd liner. When it comes down to it, maybe we would be better off with someone like JOB for example. A guy who maybe isn't as good defensively as Condra, but is pretty solid and would end up finishing at least a few more chances that Condra didn't.

newerabegins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:21 AM
mcnorth

If Wiercioch goes in, it should probably be Phillips who comes out. But you don't try that at this point in the season at this point in everyone's career. Not ideal, and probably not wise just b/c you need to add some goals - when you really just need your forward corps. to finish and compete more. Also, EK is going to add a goal every second game on the PP. With great goaltending (which we have when we win) that extra 0.5 might be enough.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:34 AM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

For everyone wondering about JOB, he took the warmup yesterday. Looks like the coaches don't like him.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Pitlick*

Offseason: sign Michael Ryder. He would score 40 on Spezza's wing.

The only thing this team is missing is more players with great hands that can finish scoring chances...

Spezza, Karlsson = great hands

Michalek, Alfie, Turris, Lats = decent hands

Most of the other guys are too Condra-like in their hands.

Edit: I forgot Silfver and Zibby. Their hands fall into the decent category.

Last edited by Pitlick*: 04-28-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Pitlick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:43 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

vCash: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitlick View Post
Offseason: sign Michael Ryder. He would score 40 on Spezza's wing.

The only thing this team is missing is more players with great hands that can finish scoring chances...

Spezza, Karlsson = great hands

Michalek, Alfie, Turris, Lats = decent hands

Most of the other guys are too Condra-like in their hands.
I could get behind that. 2-3 years max, though, probably 2 given his age.

SixthSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:12 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
I just won a signed Nikita Filatov Heritage Jersey.

I say bring him in

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:20 AM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Filppula in the off-season, move Turris to the wing.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:39 AM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by praisealfie11 View Post
Having both Wiercioch and Karlsson would provide some extra scoring punch. Our overall defensive play is affected though since Wier plays sheltered minutes and Karlsson too so far. Puts some extra pressure on Methot, Cowen, Phillips, Gonchar. Other than that what the hell is going on with JOB?! He's not too shabby offensively and would be a better option than say Kassian on the 3rd or 4th line.

I also think Condra should sit a game out. I'm starting to understand why people are saying he might be one of the next ones out in the next couple of years. He's excellent defensively but his serious lack of finish and offensive talent make him a 4th liner rather than a 3rd liner. When it comes down to it, maybe we would be better off with someone like JOB for example. A guy who maybe isn't as good defensively as Condra, but is pretty solid and would end up finishing at least a few more chances that Condra didn't.
No I dont think so. Any line condra has been in, that line created chances but couldnt finish. Id rather have that than guys who cant even create chances. Condra is very good at the forecheck, pk and oh we wudve lost in washington the other night if he didnt get a stick on a washington player who had an open net. Condra lacks finish but he brings more to the table than most guys give him credit for. If smith wasnt good in teh faceoff, I would sit him over condra.

I know pageau has been really good, but I would sent him back to bingo to play in the ahl playoffs and play O'brien. I dont know why they dont play O'brien. Early in the year, the o'brien condra,regin/zibanejad line was good.

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 11:17 AM
newerabegins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySens View Post
No I dont think so. Any line condra has been in, that line created chances but couldnt finish. Id rather have that than guys who cant even create chances. Condra is very good at the forecheck, pk and oh we wudve lost in washington the other night if he didnt get a stick on a washington player who had an open net. Condra lacks finish but he brings more to the table than most guys give him credit for. If smith wasnt good in teh faceoff, I would sit him over condra.

I know pageau has been really good, but I would sent him back to bingo to play in the ahl playoffs and play O'brien. I dont know why they dont play O'brien. Early in the year, the o'brien condra,regin/zibanejad line was good.
That was Silfverberg.

So would you rather have Condra on the 3rd line getting like 5 goals and 15-20 points or someone who gets 10-12 goals 25-30 points while not being as good defensively as Condra, can still hold his own?

Old
04-28-2013, 11:36 AM
HockeySens

Quote:
That was Silfverberg.

So would you rather have Condra on the 3rd line getting like 5 goals and 15-20 points or someone who gets 10-12 goals 25-30 points while not being as good defensively as Condra, can still hold his own?
That was silfverberg on the pp deflecting the pass meant for ovechkin.

Then in the third period anderson mishandled the puck, puck goes in front of the net and condra dives to get his stick in the way of the washington player who had all the time to shoot into the net while people scrambling around the crease.

Who is this 10-12 goalscorer you are speaking of?

Old
04-28-2013, 11:50 AM
newerabegins

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySens View Post
That was silfverberg on the pp deflecting the pass meant for ovechkin.

Then in the third period anderson mishandled the puck, puck goes in front of the net and condra dives to get his stick in the way of the washington player who had all the time to shoot into the net while people scrambling around the crease.

Who is this 10-12 goalscorer you are speaking of?
It could be anyone really. Pretty much anyone on our team can outscore Condra if given the same role. Just last season Neil had 13 goals in 72 games. JOB can probably get 10 goals(5 in 29 games this season). Even Stone next season would probably be able to outscore Condra.

Also, the reason Condra gets less offensive starts is because he is no stalwart offensively.

I agree that he brings lot of intangibles and is excellent defensively, but at some point you have to wonder whether that's worth losing a certain amount of offense.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:00 PM
HavlatMach9

I don't think it matters how much Kassian scores, as long as we win. So do we judge him on how many games we win with him? That's a team-based stat though. On how many fights he has? Are fights even relevant sometimes? Or that we're not out-toughed in games?

HavlatMach9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:02 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
It could be anyone really. Pretty much anyone on our team can outscore Condra if given the same role. Just last season Neil had 13 goals in 72 games. JOB can probably get 10 goals(5 in 29 games this season). Even Stone next season would probably be able to outscore Condra.

Also, the reason Condra gets less offensive starts is because he is no stalwart offensively.

I agree that he brings lot of intangibles and is excellent defensively, but at some point you have to wonder whether that's worth losing a certain amount of offense.
Our options are JOB, Regin or Spezza, Regin is at no use at this point, Spezza is injured so that leaves JOB. JOB definitely has more goals than condra this season but last season was a different story between the two. JOB brings more offense than condra for sure but its not much of an upgrade and JOB is worse defensively. This is why I think although peageau is playing well he should be sent back to bingo since he doesnt bring much offense and is the same as condra except with faceoff avbility and bingo has a higher chances of going deep imo. Bring JOB and condra back together, thats the line where condra got his points and JOB got his goals as a fourth line, speedy line. Adding offense without taking out any defense. I really like pageau though but he can always be brought up next year.

In a different scenario if we really need some goalscoring and offensive production then we should play lats over kassian imo, lats has 6 goals compared to kassian's 1 goal which is his only point. Kassian is not a defensive player either and all he brings is fighting. If some people think sitting out condra for someone like O'brien then Kassian should not even play or latendresse should not be scratched for kassian.

Last edited by HockeySens: 04-28-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 12:33 PM
StayThirstyMyFriend

This offseason should be focused on getting vanek from buffalo. If buffalo is rebuilding, the sens have many assets that can accelerate that rebuild so they have what it takes to get vanek.

StayThirstyMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:44 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayThirstyMyFriend View Post
This offseason should be focused on getting vanek from buffalo. If buffalo is rebuilding, the sens have many assets that can accelerate that rebuild so they have what it takes to get vanek.
This would be very interesting but it would cost A LOT cause he's in our division and I don't wanna see our player perform against us.

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 01:48 PM
sensageddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
This would be very interesting but it would cost A LOT cause he's in our division and I don't wanna see our player perform against us.
Da Costa to much.. >.>;

sensageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:18 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Sit out the mosquito line of Conacher, Pageau & Condra & replace them with the bigger line of Latendresse, Regin & JOB. Also sit out Phillips & replace him with Wiercioch. Release The Lehner.

Silfverberg - Turris - Michalek
Greening - Zibanejad - Alfredsson
Latendresse - Regin - JOB
Kassian - Z. Smith - Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Wiercioch - Gryba/Phillips

Lehner - Anderson

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote