HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#ChokingSens

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 03:20 PM
  #51
take a peek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
To those who have said why is this thread even necessary, or what a bad fan, or choking sens fans, or any of the other excuses/accusations made - I want you to understand that this is about a lesson in hubris.

1) The whole #peskysens thing was rubbish from the beginning. Maclean should have squashed that immediately. For the last few months this team and its fans have been chest thumping our supremacy despite the significant losses to injury that was suffered.
Although the team has played incredible and beyond expectations, when you start giving yourself these kinds of names you better be able to back that up in the long run. No one knows how the season will end up, but if we cannot beat Buffalo, Tampa, or Florida on the road - we really have no business being in the playoffs let alone calling the team #pesky.

2) If this was Toronto or Montreal, or any other team that the fanbase around here despises, we would be calling it a choke job. Five straight losses to the bottom feeders of the conference? The orgasms around here from dishing that out on the Leafs would be in triplicate. There are a lot of glass houses that have been broken this day. So if we can have fun calling ourselves #peskysens, then we should equally be able to have fun embracing our joke job that is currently taking place.
Thanks for the lesson, a lesson in hubris, what crap....

from wiki .....In ancient Greek, hubris referred to actions that shamed and humiliated the victim for the pleasure or gratification of the abuser...modern day.... extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities

The only hubris here is you and your actions, calling the Sens chokers, clearly hopping on when the team and fans are down. What perfect timing, except the fact that they are not out yet, hence have not choked.

You did not bring this up when peskysens was first mentioned or before the losing streak. You waited till their season is on the line and piled on.

Is it okay if they win the next 9 straight to go back to pesky Sens, or if they lose in the playoffs is it a 'choke' again?

What if they play the Habs beat them but then lose to Boston, pesky or choke, let me know I don't want any more lessons, just want to cheer my team.

Fact is they were pesky, coming back in games and pulling off wins when everyone, including most here, myself included thought they would fall away from the pack. They were not calling themselves #worldsbestmostawesomeeveryotherteamsucksSens

And to say somehow this is all deserved because the team was feeling good about competing and called themselves pesky.....hardly "chest thumping their supremacy". Are they really so full of hubris? having some fun and winning some games.

And I am not going to bother looking it up but I betcha most team have lost 3,4,5,6 games against some crappy teams...heck Buffalo broke the Pens streak. Should of thought of the hubris Pens, winning all those games, then choking against a bottom feeder #chokingonhubrispens.

take a peek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 03:31 PM
  #52
Romans12_12
Registered User
 
Romans12_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hayden, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by take a peak View Post
Thanks for the lesson, a lesson in hubris, what crap....

from wiki .....In ancient Greek, hubris referred to actions that shamed and humiliated the victim for the pleasure or gratification of the abuser...modern day.... extreme pride or arrogance. Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence or capabilities

The only hubris here is you and your actions, calling the Sens chokers, clearly hopping on when the team and fans are down. What perfect timing, except the fact that they are not out yet, hence have not choked.

You did not bring this up when peskysens was first mentioned or before the losing streak. You waited till their season is on the line and piled on.

Is it okay if they win the next 9 straight to go back to pesky Sens, or if they lose in the playoffs is it a 'choke' again?

What if they play the Habs beat them but then lose to Boston, pesky or choke, let me know I don't want any more lessons, just want to cheer my team.

Fact is they were pesky, coming back in games and pulling off wins when everyone, including most here, myself included thought they would fall away from the pack. They were not calling themselves #worldsbestmostawesomeeveryotherteamsucksSens

And to say somehow this is all deserved because the team was feeling good about competing and called themselves pesky.....hardly "chest thumping their supremacy". Are they really so full of hubris? having some fun and winning some games.

And I am not going to bother looking it up but I betcha most team have lost 3,4,5,6 games against some crappy teams...heck Buffalo broke the Pens streak. Should of thought of the hubris Pens, winning all those games, then choking against a bottom feeder #chokingonhubrispens.
I am not trying to salvage anything. If you disagree with how I feel then so be it.

The first time I heard people saying PeskySens, the first thing that came to my mind was when the Sens started the season on a tear a few years ago, and beloved HF Sens fan Fuhr (currently "TheGreatBelow" I think) posted on the main forum that the Sens > NHL. Well those who have been on this board long enough to remember that know how that turned out .....

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:08 PM
  #53
Greeningfan14
Registered User
 
Greeningfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,715
vCash: 500
I'm honestly surprised we managed to win so many games (with the injuries). Unfortunately this will make me even angrier if we miss the Spring dance.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:24 PM
  #54
playasRus
Registered User
 
playasRus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,956
vCash: 500
In a sense, if we don't make the playoffs this will be very much a "Leafs-like season."

Think about it, for the 8 years the Leafs missed the show, they were always pumped up to make the playoffs, staying high in the standings until the ASG where they tail off and have a huge nose-dive second half of the season. Kind of like us, except our amazing first half was mostly amzing because we did it without our top guns, so the nose dive is more of a dropping to reality.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:27 PM
  #55
Quo
Moderator
I, too, don't get it
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
In a sense, if we don't make the playoffs this will be very much a "Leafs-like season."

Think about it, for the 8 years the Leafs missed the show, they were always pumped up to make the playoffs, staying high in the standings until the ASG where they tail off and have a huge nose-dive second half of the season. Kind of like us, except our amazing first half was mostly amzing because we did it without our top guns, so the nose dive is more of a dropping to reality.
The trajectory is similar but we had some extenuating circumstances that the Leafs of old would have crumbled in the face of.

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 04:39 PM
  #56
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,681
vCash: 500
Another factor I forgot to talk about... but the Sens also have the lowest salary cap in the league this season, by far. We're facing teams that spend 2x-3x what we do...

And we didn't have the new CBA to save our beacon like the Habs (Gomez) for example. Why? Because Murray knows what he is doing, despite what many clueless fans keep thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
To those who have said why is this thread even necessary, or what a bad fan, or choking sens fans, or any of the other excuses/accusations made - I want you to understand that this is about a lesson in hubris.

1) The whole #peskysens thing was rubbish from the beginning. Maclean should have squashed that immediately. For the last few months this team and its fans have been chest thumping our supremacy despite the significant losses to injury that was suffered.
Although the team has played incredible and beyond expectations, when you start giving yourself these kinds of names you better be able to back that up in the long run. No one knows how the season will end up, but if we cannot beat Buffalo, Tampa, or Florida on the road - we really have no business being in the playoffs let alone calling the team #pesky.

2) If this was Toronto or Montreal, or any other team that the fanbase around here despises, we would be calling it a choke job. Five straight losses to the bottom feeders of the conference? The orgasms around here from dishing that out on the Leafs would be in triplicate. There are a lot of glass houses that have been broken this day. So if we can have fun calling ourselves #peskysens, then we should equally be able to have fun embracing our joke job that is currently taking place.
1) That comes from your imagination... outside of maybe a few, no one has been tagging this team as Elite. Most of us said that we could be really good if we were 100% healthy, which is probably true since Erik Karlsson and Jason Spezza are among the biggest impact players in the game

2) Not the same market and really not the same media coverage. Habs were a bottom-3 team last year and didn't make a lot of noise (except 2-3 seasons) in the last 20 years, expectations to bounce back were high. Leafs have been missing the playoffs for 8 ****ing years, despite all the $$$$$$ they have.

Sens fans don't realize how spoiled they are in comparison to those teams. Personally, I'm glad to be a Sens fans instead of has-beens "we won cups before"... What? Ottawa has won a lot of cups too when the NHL was still an amateur regional league... Now that there's a lot of teams and international talent/coverage, it's not the same thing...

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:03 PM
  #57
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek
 
ReginKarlssonLehner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 21,778
vCash: 50
4 wins guarantees us a playoff spot. That's less than .500 the rest of the season. Definitely doable.

3 wins and 2 overtime losses does it too.

It's not like we even have to play over .500 to get into the playoffs. Getting Milo and Cowen back soon will help immensely.

Don't worry folks.

ReginKarlssonLehner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:16 PM
  #58
ChocolateLeclaire
Registered User
 
ChocolateLeclaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
I am not trying to salvage anything. If you disagree with how I feel then so be it.

The first time I heard people saying PeskySens, the first thing that came to my mind was when the Sens started the season on a tear a few years ago, and beloved HF Sens fan Fuhr (currently "TheGreatBelow" I think) posted on the main forum that the Sens > NHL. Well those who have been on this board long enough to remember that know how that turned out .....
This is amusing. You get absolutely OWNED by take-a-peak and now you're back pedaling so quickly, you're going to end up in the Western Conference.

ha ha ha hubris...

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 05:49 PM
  #59
SenzZen
Registered User
 
SenzZen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,818
vCash: 500
#ChokingOnRage

#PunchingOutOfTheirWeightclassAllYearLong

#SomeSortOfNon...GivingUp...HockeyGuys

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Missing Piece View Post
If you don't make the playoffs you will know how we have felt for the last 8 years.
#

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:00 PM
  #60
Gil Gunderson
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Losing games does not equal choking. The losing streak is at the lower end of but within the expectations of this injury-riddled team.
If we miss the playoffs, I'll consider it choking. We had a very nice cushion with 14 games left of the season. I have little doubt that if the Leafs were in this position, lots of fans here would call it choking.

Gil Gunderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 06:14 PM
  #61
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Jakarta, IDN
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
This is amusing. You get absolutely OWNED by take-a-peak and now you're back pedaling so quickly, you're going to end up in the Western Conference.

ha ha ha hubris...
Highlight of the thread so far.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:06 PM
  #62
Caeldan
Moderator
 
Caeldan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,369
vCash: 732
I'd say currently this tailspin counts as choking.
We're not winning the games we should be.
We're letting in backbreaking goals at bad times.

Also the few times I've ventured out to the main board, there almost always has been at least one or two chest-thumping threads of 'look how good we are despite the injuries'. So yeah, pride before the fall and whatnot.

Though, I'd be curious to know if anyone has the stats...
Record since Daugavins spin-o-rama attempt and/or was claimed off waivers by Boston?

Seems like that's around when we sunk.

Caeldan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 07:53 PM
  #63
Orr123
Registered User
 
Orr123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
We have maintained the 5th/6th spot for most of the season with our injury depleted roster. In the final stretch we have lost 5 straight, three straight against the worst teams in the conference with the exact same roster + Craig Anderson.

I know we have had some **** luck, faced some hot goalies and been screwed over by the refs on this cold streak, but he's not wrong - this is the definition of choking.
Not really. The team has tried, and they haven't gotten the luck they've gotten before hand. They still sit in a position in which no one would have predicted them to be in.

Minus the Leafs game, most of the games played and lost we have not had that luck on our side, and have lacked finish.

It would be chocking if we were losing games by lots of goals, not getting shots out and not even getting opportunities. Or if we had a full and health roster and still were lacking those things.

I get we've lost games, but if you look at the ones we lost for the most part, they have been quite similar to most of the games we've won. We just didn't have luck on our side. Which sucks. We could have started this whole losing streak long ago, and we didn't because of luck. Now we don't have it. And we need it to win games with this depleted roster. If we had guys that had elite finish (who are not in their first NHL season), then yeah, we'd be choking.

But we sit in a playoff position for now, when we really should not be. If we had lost those 5 games, but just interspersed in the season and not in a row -- we'd not be having this talk, and we'd think wow we are doing well. But having them in a row looks bad (even though games we've won have looked quite similar to these losses for the most part).

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 08:01 PM
  #64
Romans12_12
Registered User
 
Romans12_12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hayden, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
This is amusing. You get absolutely OWNED by take-a-peak and now you're back pedaling so quickly, you're going to end up in the Western Conference.

ha ha ha hubris...
Not really.

And by the way, his definition of hubris is exactly what I was talking about.

That being said, what else do you expect me to say to him or anyone else? I have stated my opinion and obviously most people here disagree with me. To continue arguing at this point would be trolling, and I am not a troll.

Romans12_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:22 AM
  #65
bacon25
Registered User
 
bacon25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Group Study Room F
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,729
vCash: 500
I think some here need to define choking, for me choking, as an example, would be the Canucks SC run two years ago. They were the President Cup winners, rolled through most of the teams except Chicago, took a 2-0 lead in the finals then fell flat on their faces.

Ottawa has been overachieving in a very weak Eastern conference. The team is still good, but without its stars, the bottom was going to fall out eventually. It's not like Ottawa was demolishing teams left and right, there have been a lot of one goal games and OTL's. The sens are struggling, hopefully they will turn it around soon it is pretty disheartening.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:09 AM
  #66
gtforepro
Registered User
 
gtforepro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 291
vCash: 500
Looks like you're just strategically going after a 6th place finish to get a good 1st round matchup. Don't panic....yet...

gtforepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:05 AM
  #67
Xspyrit
Registered User
 
Xspyrit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
Country: Italy
Posts: 13,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
If we miss the playoffs, I'll consider it choking. We had a very nice cushion with 14 games left of the season. I have little doubt that if the Leafs were in this position, lots of fans here would call it choking.
Depends...

Would they be without a top-10 Center, a top-3 D-man and a top-40 Winger in the league? Would they also missed a young 6'6 Top-4 D-man and their #1 goalie for a long period?

Would they be a young and inexperienced rebuilding team?

I have trouble seeing injured underdogs choke... Dunno for others, but I can't see it. An underdog on 2.5 legs can't be choking in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
Ottawa has been overachieving in a very weak Eastern conference. The team is still good, but without its stars, the bottom was going to fall out eventually. It's not like Ottawa was demolishing teams left and right, there have been a lot of one goal games and OTL's. The sens are struggling, hopefully they will turn it around soon it is pretty disheartening.
Good post. Healthy, the Sens would have made the playoffs rather easily but at the current state and what they've been going through all season, they're just an average team. Average teams can have losing streaks.

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:32 PM
  #68
Quo
Moderator
I, too, don't get it
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,041
vCash: 500
Alfie today: "We've just got to keep pushing ourselves, not try to over-analyze things. We know the situation we're in.....9 games left, we're a group that will go down fighting until the end."

Quo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:51 PM
  #69
Max Power
Registered User
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,598
vCash: 500
First the Sens are overachieving now they are choking... There's no way to win this one



Max Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:58 PM
  #70
2CHAINZ
@EverythingPawg
 
2CHAINZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: We global Son
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,487
vCash: 177
#Bi-PolarSensFans

2CHAINZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:39 PM
  #71
RappinHobo
#1 Lehner Fanboy
 
RappinHobo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 433
vCash: 500
Great win today. Nice to see a change of pace us taking the lead in the third.

RappinHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:46 PM
  #72
mcnorth
Registered User
 
mcnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,733
vCash: 500
How is pesky considered arrogant?

Pesky Britain. Yeah. There's no empire there, dude.

mcnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:29 PM
  #73
Magix
Registered User
 
Magix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,454
vCash: 500
#ChokingSens

Ridiculous.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:38 PM
  #74
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!
 
The Waffler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Grenville
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,359
vCash: 500
Great Jinx thread thanks Romez.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:57 PM
  #75
McFist
Bryan can beat it
 
McFist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Θttawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,916
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans12_12 View Post
To those who have said why is this thread even necessary, or what a bad fan, or choking sens fans, or any of the other excuses/accusations made - I want you to understand that this is about a lesson in hubris.

1) The whole #peskysens thing was rubbish from the beginning. Maclean should have squashed that immediately. For the last few months this team and its fans have been chest thumping our supremacy despite the significant losses to injury that was suffered.
Although the team has played incredible and beyond expectations, when you start giving yourself these kinds of names you better be able to back that up in the long run. No one knows how the season will end up, but if we cannot beat Buffalo, Tampa, or Florida on the road - we really have no business being in the playoffs let alone calling the team #pesky.

2) If this was Toronto or Montreal, or any other team that the fanbase around here despises, we would be calling it a choke job. Five straight losses to the bottom feeders of the conference? The orgasms around here from dishing that out on the Leafs would be in triplicate. There are a lot of glass houses that have been broken this day. So if we can have fun calling ourselves #peskysens, then we should equally be able to have fun embracing our joke job that is currently taking place.
See bolded text; you can't have it both ways.

And unless the definition of "pesky" escapes you, you can't possibly consider it chest thumping and certainly not any form of "supremacy." Seriously, go look it up.

But whatever, thanks for breaking the streak for us.


#doesntknowwhatpeskymeans

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:47 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.