Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2013 Masters: Its the Masters, it needs it own thread

Old
04-10-2013, 10:42 PM
vwg*

vCash: 500
Pretty awesome experience today. I forgot all about the par 3 contest until my buddy told me on the way to Augusta this morning.

The TV doesn't do any justice to show how beautiful Augusta National really is. I'd definitely recommend it as a place for any golfer or golf fan (hell, even any sport fan) to go before they die. Got glimpses of pretty much all the big names, walked most of the course, and ate a pimento cheese sandwich. Just a great day all around even though the golfers were mostly just screwing around the whole day.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2013, 10:47 PM
silkyjohnson50

I hate the fact that we might only catch one or two holes at most from Tiger during round 1. This is a Major. Every shot from every player in the field should be available live.

I especially hate the "limited coverage is part of what makes it so special" BS. You're the freaking Masters. Your the 1st Major of the season. You're the Green Jacket. Limited coverage isn't what keeps us coming back for more. Many years down the road when things continue to change people will look back at the Masters for being an example of something that was behind the times in many areas.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:36 AM
saskriders
Can't Hold Leads

vCash: 750
My pick is Adam Scott

Also, people are complaining about kids at a par 3 contest? Really? It's a contest that is just supposed to be fun and relaxing for the players who are going to be going through 4 tense/stressful days of golf. I'm sure it is a thrill for the kids/wives/gfs/parents/whoever gets to take a few shots. (and btw, a lot of players don't even want to win it.)

If you really have a problem with this then you have no sense of fun, and are taking this too serious.

saskriders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:08 AM
vwg*

People complained about the kids who walk on with soccer teams before matches over on the soccer board too. I can't believe stuff like that would actually bother people, but the internet is full of people saying bizarre things so I guess shouldn't be that surprised.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:36 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
I hate the fact that we might only catch one or two holes at most from Tiger during round 1. This is a Major. Every shot from every player in the field should be available live.

I especially hate the "limited coverage is part of what makes it so special" BS. You're the freaking Masters. Your the 1st Major of the season. You're the Green Jacket. Limited coverage isn't what keeps us coming back for more. Many years down the road when things continue to change people will look back at the Masters for being an example of something that was behind the times in many areas.
Amazed that this is an issue. Like how ESPN didn't get any of the NBC footage from the Olympics and it was just a complete disaster with the rest of the sports-watching world laughing at them. Hilarious when a TV Network tries to put themselves before the game, it's almost always a colossal PR ****-up.

It's just hilarious that we can't watch any of it. There are some people, like myself who really enjoy watching golf and who work a different times during the week, and different shifts and would like to watch it in the morning. Tiger will finish by the time ESPN's coverage starts. I can't remember who it was but last year it happened a couple times, one being a guy holing out an Ace on a nice par 3 and another golfer holing out a 150 yard approach and there was literally no coverage of it.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:53 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I absolutely love the Masters, but Augusta and their practices really **** me off.

All the way from the "Patron" garbage to now the kids hacking it up.
It's the most hypocritical golf club in the country. I really feel like they took such a hit for the women's thing last year as it finally became apparent the history of bigotry in the game, ESPECIALLY Augusta's history which is certainly tainted in it's origins. Were they more aware, and less strict, they would have just been a pioneer during the Shoal Creek days. They lucked out really, being the annual host of a major tournament otherwise they would have gotten killed for it too. Now, with every major network vying for broadcasting rights, Augusta would still be safe and insulated from it, amazingly so.

They claim tradition and hide behind the veil of the "beauty of a course in the South in early spring" Most places have been trying to sell that B.S. for years, in particular in the Carolinas where they never tell you it's cold in the winter. There's no denying the beauty of Augusta, it's obvious every spring. Actuality shows that the opposite should have been happening. They bring about changes that are in your face and all at once, like the aforementioned Patron nonsense to the no cell phone policy, to not admitting women until last year. Honestly it's like they want to appear like they aren't selling out but in actuality they are hiding behind it and doing so for all the wrong reasons. It's almost laughable at times watching golf in this country do it, especially on the golf channel though they are pretty good about balancing it out with quality analysis from golf junkies like Brad Faxon and interviewing the vets consistently like Crenshaw, Couples, and the like.

I could understand the marketing children angle as it makes sense. Growth of children continues the growth of the game. But to be so obnoxious about it and it still doesn't make the game more accessible to those lower income families the marketing strategy is targeting.

Maybe I'm just against the whole culture of golf, that it's not improving the game the way it should. Promote the quality aspects of the game, and not the quick and easy gimmicks as implied by the USGA and now, Augusta National.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:54 AM
Ser Woof

vCash: 50
Yep. No excuse whatsoever.

It's disappointing and the cop-out about not being able to make a player part of the featured group both days... swtich the freaking days then. No reason for Tiger to be in a "featured group" on Friday when he tees off in the TV window.

Pisses me off. I'll follow GCTigerTracker on Twitter I suppose since there is no shotlink either.

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:55 AM
Ser Woof

And may I also say this thread sucks.

In case the emoticon doesn't convey it... yes, I am being facetious. If I had more time I would have created a decent thread for it.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:38 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWoof View Post
And may I also say this thread sucks.

In case the emoticon doesn't convey it... yes, I am being facetious. If I had more time I would have created a decent thread for it.
I'm just glad someone did create it, and thank you for that. Needed a way to vent my frustrations about the sport, which are many obviously.

People have always ripped on golf for many reasons, or at least, the fact that I watched it. I never really cared and Masters weekend is always marked off for the season, not to mention it's the real kick off for the rest of the season, regardless of what the PGA says.

Thanks MrWoof, excited for the weekend.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Justin Rose starts out birdie birdie.

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Go McIlroy!

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Snedeker birdies first 2 of 3 while Rose bogies #3. Got both these guys on my fantasy team this week.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Ser Woof

Furyk is 4 under. Playing well too.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Ser Woof

Par for Tiger on #2. Gotta take care of those par-5's.

David Lynn joins Furyk at 4 under.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

David Lynn -5 after 15. Will we hear his name on the leadferboard come sunday?

Old
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Ser Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
David Lynn -5 after 15. Will we hear his name on the leadferboard come sunday?
Don't think so. But anything is possible.

This no TV coverage early is just killing me. No cells on course either so can't even get minute by minute updates.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:32 PM
timekeep

Quote:

This no TV coverage early is just killing me. No cells on course either so can't even get minute by minute updates.
Try this link for TSN, showing Amen corner, 15th hole, driving range and featured group with Webb Simpson.

Not sure if it will work in the states.

http://www.tsn.ca/live/golf/masters2013/

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Ser Woof

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Try this link for TSN, showing Amen corner, 15th hole, driving range and featured group with Webb Simpson.

Thanks!

Old
04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
timekeep

Quote:

They've added another group with KJ, Zach Johnson and McDowell

Old
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Quote:

Can't get it to work here in the states. Thanks anyways. Hard to believe this isn't on TV. Stupid.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Sioux View Post
Can't get it to work here in the states. Thanks anyways. Hard to believe this isn't on TV. Stupid.
I went to the Masters.com site, it said it was live action there but I couldn't find anything. Thought it might be because of being in Canada.

Can't believe it is not on TV either.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
timekeep

Woods at -1

Snedeker with a nice birdie save

Old
04-11-2013, 01:03 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:

It is just awesome that they ban cell phones. It makes being there so much more pleasurable.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
flyersguy33*

embarrassing that it isnt on tv.

anyway, LFG Tiger

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
Ser Woof

Tiger Woods 2 under thru 8. Birdied the par-5.