HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 06:10 PM
rwb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
Only sensible post in this entire thread and its gone largely unnoticed. Good post.
Correction: GREAT post. It's always nice when some people just "get" it.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
Carey Cost*

Noob616

I guess people need more than 6 years to realise that a player who was drafted no5 overall is not the player we thought he was: the new Roy/Dryden that will win us stanley cups year after year.

I HOPE i'm wrong.

All i'm asking is for just one of these "generational season" or one 3rd round from Carey. Until then hes a waste of time.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:16 PM
Carey Cost*

ANd i honestly dont care if you can play 70 games...whats that good for if you cant perform in the playoffs?

Btw Carey Price has always performed better when people doubted him.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:18 PM
rwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
Noob616

I guess people need more than 6 years to realise that a player who was drafted no5 overall is not the player we thought he was: the new Roy/Dryden that will win us stanley cups year after year.

I HOPE i'm wrong.

All i'm asking is for just one of these "generational season" or one 3rd round from Carey. Until then hes a waste of time.
You can't compare Price to Roy/Dryden.

Dryden played for the greatest hockey team of all time, something Price doesn't have the luxury of doing. Let's not forget that Roy was here for about 10 years and only won 2 cups. Were you hating on him for the other 8 years? Price still has a chance. He has been a starting goalie in this league for almost 6 seasons now, and is only reaching an age when most NHL goalies are still in the minors, or are backups.

Out of curiousity's sake, who would you rather have playing net for this team going forward?

Old
04-11-2013, 06:25 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanwb View Post
You can't compare Price to Roy/Dryden.

Dryden played for the greatest hockey team of all time, something Price doesn't have the luxury of doing. Let's not forget that Roy was here for about 10 years and only won 2 cups. Were you hating on him for the other 8 years? Price still has a chance. He has been a starting goalie in this league for almost 6 seasons now, and is only reaching an age when most NHL goalies are still in the minors, or are backups.

Out of curiousity's sake, who would you rather have playing net for this team going forward?
Roy won the cup in his rookie season... he earned to be called a winner right from the start!

Budaj?

Old
04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
rwb

Quote:
Roy won the cup in his rookie season... he earned to be called a winner right from the start!

Budaj?
Like I said, Price is 25. Tim Thomas didn't even make the NHL until he was 31 years old (I'm ignoring the 4 games he played in 02-03). Then he went on to establish himself as a number 1 goaltender in the NHL, and won 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smythe and a Stanley Cup in 3 years.

Price has already established himself as a number 1 guy in the league, and one that most teams would trade their starter for in a heartbeat. Budaj has done nothing even remotely close to what Price has done in the NHL. I am extremely happy to have the guy backing Price up, but that is all he is at this point: a back-up. Sure he might look good in the few games he plays, and can probably carry the mail for a while if need be, but if we were to give him 65 games next season, what has he done to make you think he would put up numbers similar to Price?

The guy had a chance to be a number 1 in Colorado and could never seize the job. His best seasons with the Avs are statistically similar to Price's worst. And Price is 5 years younger, so there is reason to believe he is still getting better.

Any other goalies you would take over Price besides Budaj?

Old
04-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Like I said, Price is 25. Tim Thomas didn't even make the NHL until he was 31 years old (I'm ignoring the 4 games he played in 02-03). Then he went on to establish himself as a number 1 goaltender in the NHL, and won 2 Vezinas, a Conn Smythe and a Stanley Cup in 3 years.

Price has already established himself as a number 1 guy in the league, and one that most teams would trade their starter for in a heartbeat. Budaj has done nothing even remotely close to what Price has done in the NHL. I am extremely happy to have the guy backing Price up, but that is all he is at this point: a back-up. Sure he might look good in the few games he plays, and can probably carry the mail for a while if need be, but if we were to give him 65 games next season, what has he done to make you think he would put up numbers similar to Price?

The guy had a chance to be a number 1 in Colorado and could never seize the job. His best seasons with the Avs are statistically similar to Price's worst. And Price is 5 years younger, so there is reason to believe he is still getting better.

Any other goalies you would take over Price besides Budaj?
League wide?

heres a few

Tukka Rask (for his age)
Lundqvist
Luongo
Viktor Fasth
Antti Niemi

Old
04-11-2013, 07:13 PM
rwb

Quote:
League wide?

heres a few

Tukka Rask (for his age)
Lundqvist
Luongo
Viktor Fasth
Antti Niemi

That's a pretty decent list actually. I was expecting something a little more extensive, and Halak filled. Not so sure about Fasth, but I can see the argument for the others.

But basically what you are saying is that you think Price is the 7th best goalie in the league with room still to improve his game?

Old
04-11-2013, 07:28 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Unless you are Mario Tremblay you can't use "we".
What are you talking about ? Tremblay had his role in the whole saga, but it's also the city of Montréal who chased Roy. Even before the '93 cup there was that upperdeck publicity campain "Échange Roy" with big signs at the Champlain bridge and all over town. People all over Montréal were criticising Roy for every weak goal, for every off game. I'm thankfull Price has a cool temper, unlike Roy, with lava in his veins, who took it personal.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:

That's a pretty decent list actually. I was expecting something a little more extensive, and Halak filled. Not so sure about Fasth, but I can see the argument for the others.

But basically what you are saying is that you think Price is the 7th best goalie in the league with room still to improve his game?
I'm saying Price lacks that Mojo that makes "avg goalies" Great goalies

Old
04-11-2013, 07:38 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Yeah.. it's that certain.. je ne sais quoi...

Gordon Ramsay has it, for example...

Carey Price.. does not.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
League wide?

heres a few

Tukka Rask (for his age)
Lundqvist
Luongo
Viktor Fasth
Antti Niemi
considering you were talking about winning cups and al in your previous post, I'm kinda surprised you've put the first four in your list...

Old
04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyFischer View Post
Yeah.. it's that certain.. je ne sais quoi...

Gordon Ramsay has it, for example...

Carey Price.. does not.
I know you're just doing your shtick..

but to the guy who you're quoting: That "quality" you are talking about is putting yourself in a position to have to make a spectacular save. Price doesn't do that because he is a fundamentally sound goaltender who applies the technique and theory of the position better than any other in the league. Halak looked more spectacular because everything he saved went right out in front of him.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:45 PM
Bieber fever

Every year it's the same thing some average goalie win the stanley cup ( or make a good run ) and eveybody goes " he was so underrated all season , finally is getting the credit is deserve" .see: Quick , Ward , Niemi , Halak , Fleury , Osgood , Khabibulin ect.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:47 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
Every year it's the same thing some average goalie win the stanley cup ( or make a good run ) and eveybody goes " he was so underrated all season , finally is getting the credit is deserve" .see: Quick , Ward , Niemi , Halak , Fleury , Osgood , Khabibulin ect.
Quick is actually a great goaltender.. having a down year after his performance is not uncommon.
Ward was a rookie, a really young rookie, nothing you said is close to what was said at the time.
Niemi is a decent goalie who won on a stacked team.
Halak got pulled many times and didn't even start every game for his team during his magical run.
Fleury is atrocious.
Osgoode was all Detroit ever needed.
Khabibulin is a good goalie.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:55 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I know you're just doing your shtick..

but to the guy who you're quoting: That "quality" you are talking about is putting yourself in a position to have to make a spectacular save. Price doesn't do that because he is a fundamentally sound goaltender who applies the technique and theory of the position better than any other in the league. Halak looked more spectacular because everything he saved went right out in front of him.
No shtick here buddy.

Price is fundamentally sound... and when he's not.. don't expect any great reflexes or quick pads or anything to bail him out... that's the epitome of Price, big and good positioning (usually).

Old
04-11-2013, 10:12 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
An NHL goalie costs on average 2.5M according to Capgeek. So Carey is 4M above the average goalie. Since half of those are backups Price is probably only 1-2M above the average starting goaltender. And I'd gladly spend the 1-2M extra for Price instead of an average NHL starting goaltender.
I agree long term, but this year he hasn't been good enough to warrant the salary. It's OK, just means he has to step up in the playoffs!

Old
04-11-2013, 10:28 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Quote:
No shtick here buddy.

Price is fundamentally sound... and when he's not.. don't expect any great reflexes or quick pads or anything to bail him out... that's the epitome of Price, big and good positioning (usually).
You have a shtick. It might be invisible to the majority of the posters but I understand it, it's cute.

Price has very quick legs and it helps that they are long. I do agree that at some point in his career he will have to learn the situations where he has to abandon fundamentals and just rely on his reflexes and desperation to make the save. That will come with time. He's still very young.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:34 PM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to WhatJustHappened
Quote:
League wide?

heres a few

Tukka Rask (for his age)
Lundqvist
Luongo
Viktor Fasth
Antti Niemi
So wait you said what has Price done?

What has Rask done?
What has Lundqvist done?
What has Luongo done?
Fasth who?
Niemi...really...

Old
04-11-2013, 10:35 PM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

Quote:
Price has lacked the defense that Stanely Cup winning goalies have in front of them.

Show me 1 team in the past 10 years that has a horrible defense and won a cup.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:36 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
You have a shtick. It might be invisible to the majority of the posters but I understand it, it's cute.
*blushes*

Quote:
Price has very quick legs and it helps that they are long. I do agree that at some point in his career he will have to learn the situations where he has to abandon fundamentals and just rely on his reflexes and desperation to make the save. That will come with time. He's still very young.
'That time will come'.. as if you're 100% certain beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I like your confidence and faith in Price but let's see what he does for us in the playoffs this year.

If he falters/plays average to bad, will you still think the same?

Old
04-11-2013, 10:39 PM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

Quote:
*blushes*

I like your confidence and faith in Price but let's see what he does for us in the playoffs this year.

So I guess we should have traded Markov and Koivu a long time ago then right?

Old
04-11-2013, 10:40 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Quote:
*blushes*

Depends on the context.

If he plays terrible and loses games the Habs should win.. Yeah, I'll be a little miffed at him but I'm not going to throw him under the bus for one bad play-off series.

People look at his play-off record but they really need to take out 4 losses against the Boston sweep. That team was bad, decimated by injuries and they had no semblance of ability to beat the Bruins that year. Nothing on Price there should be considered.

You have his first play-off series against the Bruins where he played well in the first 4 games, fell apart games 5,6 and then came out in game 7 with a ridiculous shut-out performance. Subsequently, he played Philadelphia, Hartnell broke fingers in his glove-hand, the team couldn't score and we were beaten in 5 games. Price was average in that series but the broken fingers didn't help.

Again, the Bruins sweep needs to be wiped from the play-off card.
His games relieving Halak in Halak's magical run should also be asterisked. He wasn't the starter down the stretch and came in off the bench. Average in the games he started.

Last time he was in the play-offs, he was a beast and absolutely spectacular against the Bruins. If we had any finish (Looking at you Gionta) or a coach who is smart enough not to put a concussed Halpern on the ice in Game 7 OT, we could be talking about his second round performance that season.. instead, we're not.

Old
04-11-2013, 10:43 PM
BobbyFischer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
So I guess we should have traded Markov and Koivu a long time ago then right?
Lolwut?

Old
04-11-2013, 10:50 PM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

Quote:
Lolwut?
The fact that majority of the people posting here think Price isn't what everyone projects him to be and the brash statements of give him 1 more year to prove himself, and the tone of your post tells me you agree with them.

If this was the case then why don't people harp on Markov, what has he done for the Habs in the 12 years he's been with the team?

I'm just tired of people misjudging the talent that is on this team. Maybe I should just delete my account and block this hell hole entirely.

Closed Thread