HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Mikhail Grabovski

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-17-2013, 01:54 PM
  #1
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,966
vCash: 500
Mikhail Grabovski

I'm curious as to which teams could potentially have even the slightest interest in Grabovski. He's in the 1st year of a 5 year deal. The AAV is high (5.5m) so the Leafs would likely have to take another bad contract back but as long as the piece fits I'm open to suggestions.

Mikhail Grabovski's stats in the last 3 seasons:
2010/11 - 81GP 29G 29A 58PTS
2011/12 - 74GP 23G 28A 51PTS
2012/13 - 28GP 6G 5A 11PTS

Grabovski is a hard-working, defensively responsible, center who can score goals but doesn't have the vision to set up plays. He's being miscast as the Maple Leafs shutdown center and he would benefit from being in more of a scoring role. The Leafs would probably rather have a strictly defensive center with size on a cheaper contract than Grabovski. Which teams are looking to add a top-6 center?

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:02 PM
  #2
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,040
vCash: 1550
I have no idea why the Leafs don't at least TRY swapping Mikhail Grabovski and Tyler Bozak's roles on the team. Bozak is great at faceoffs, responsible defensively and does a lot of the little things your #3 center should do. Grabovski has lead our centers in scoring every season since Mats Sundin left, (4 seasons: 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12) but suddenly Randy Carlyle comes and Grabovski isn't even among the first 10 shooters in a shootout and he produces at a 32pt pace?

Carlyle is running Grabovski into the ground and as you said he is completely miscast in a role as a "shutdown center." Grabovski is an offensive center who is an equally good goal scorer as a player and he just so happens to backcheck hard and play a defensively responsible game. Giving him 35% offensive zone starts, playing alongside guys who are primarily checkers (Kulemin, Komarov, McClement) against the Sidney Crosby's, Steven Stamkos's..etc of the league..

Just ridiculous coaching IMO.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:00 PM
  #3
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
I'm afraid Mikhail Grabovski is Brian Burke's parting gift to Maple Leafs fans.

He's a $3.5 million player with a long-term $5.5 million contract. The Leafs won't have a chance in hell of trading him until that contract is almost expired.

If I were Dave Nonis, even with the Leafs glaring issues at center, I would buy out this contract this summer with one of the two Amnesty Buyouts. He's just not nearly a $5.5. million center.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:02 PM
  #4
Robert Theodorson
Registered User
 
Robert Theodorson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,347
vCash: 500
He's overpaid sure, but they can try him at wing or take him off the PK (if he plays it).

I would keep him around and see what happens, top six centers don't grow on trees.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:10 PM
  #5
FerrisRox
Registered User
 
FerrisRox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
He's overpaid sure, but they can try him at wing or take him off the PK (if he plays it).

I would keep him around and see what happens, top six centers don't grow on trees.
If Grabovski is your first or second line center, there's a very solid chance you are not a playoff team.

Your old adage about Top six centers not growing on trees is something the Maple Leafs are acutely aware of, unfortunately, their dough-headed former GM seems to think if you pay a player like the role you want him to be, the player will magically become that.

Now he has Dion Phaneuf, paid like an elite first pairing blueliner at $6.5 million a season playing like a second pairing blueliner with serious defensive issues and Mikhail Grabovski, a third line center with streaky scoring, sub-par vision and mediocre defensive skills raking in $5.5 million. These guys are anchors and they are part of the problem here in Toronto.

FerrisRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:11 PM
  #6
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,634
vCash: 500
Grabovski went from a very solid respectable 2nd line C to a pretty overpaid player quickly... he's literally providing the leafs with nothing.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
  #7
Center Ice Scrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The World Wide Web
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
If Grabovski is your first or second line center, there's a very solid chance you are not a playoff team.

Your old adage about Top six centers not growing on trees is something the Maple Leafs are acutely aware of, unfortunately, their dough-headed former GM seems to think if you pay a player like the role you want him to be, the player will magically become that.

Now he has Dion Phaneuf, paid like an elite first pairing blueliner at $6.5 million a season playing like a second pairing blueliner with serious defensive issues and Mikhail Grabovski, a third line center with streaky scoring, sub-par vision and mediocre defensive skills raking in $5.5 million. These guys are anchors and they are part of the problem here in Toronto.
Yea, how dare Burke sign Dion Phaneuf at $6.5 mil/ per.

Center Ice Scrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:15 PM
  #8
almostawake
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,426
vCash: 500
The 5.5M cap hit hurts his value a bit by limiting the teams that could be involved, but I think the Leafs would still get a decent return if they made him available.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 03:15 PM
  #9
FanHabtic
Registered User
 
FanHabtic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,562
vCash: 500
I don't see anyone taking that contract on. He should be amnestied!

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 04:13 PM
  #10
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,645
vCash: 5115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozak View Post
Grabovski went from a very solid respectable 2nd line C to a pretty overpaid player quickly... he's literally providing the leafs with nothing.
Way too harsh. As Kadri's line becomes the de facto second line, Grabovski's line has been shifted to a shutdown role. He and Kulemin are both having to adjust, with the difference that Kulemin seems to have his coach's confidence while Grabovski does not. If I was Grabbo, I be wondering about now just what the hell is going on, too, especially as he has been among the Leafs most dedicated and successful players over the two previous seasons.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:12 PM
  #11
Sundinisagod
.........
 
Sundinisagod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Zagreb
Country: Croatia
Posts: 9,386
vCash: 500
The money ain't a problem for the leafs, their depth at C is...the Leafs are better off with him and his contract than the player they would likely get in return...which won't be a top 6 center.

Not to mention, if we don't get a center in return we'd be calling up the TinMan Tim Connolly to replace him.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:25 PM
  #12
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,835
vCash: 500
leaf fans just dont realize the position hes in. Hes being played in a strictly defensive position, playing the 3rd hardest minutes among forwards in the league, and has been very good defensively overall. People expect his 50 point pace again, but its pretty hard when hes starting 66% of the time in the defensive zone. Not overpaid, not struggling, not in a position to succeed offensively.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:11 PM
  #13
HappyGilmourr
Registered User
 
HappyGilmourr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Milton
Posts: 5,634
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Way too harsh. As Kadri's line becomes the de facto second line, Grabovski's line has been shifted to a shutdown role. He and Kulemin are both having to adjust, with the difference that Kulemin seems to have his coach's confidence while Grabovski does not. If I was Grabbo, I be wondering about now just what the hell is going on, too, especially as he has been among the Leafs most dedicated and successful players over the two previous seasons.
He's not scoring and he's not shutting down the other teams top lines. Last year he was so good at it and this year he can't score, he can't defend and he's been on vacation ever since that contract. Grabo was one of my favourite players now I can't bare to watch him... If the Grabovski line was going that's 3 solid lines and a lot more wins... likely we don't loose 5 in a row.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:15 PM
  #14
MuchoMacho
Registered User
 
MuchoMacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Penalty Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
I have no idea why the Leafs don't at least TRY swapping Mikhail Grabovski and Tyler Bozak's roles on the team. Bozak is great at faceoffs, responsible defensively and does a lot of the little things your #3 center should do. Grabovski has lead our centers in scoring every season since Mats Sundin left, (4 seasons: 08-09, 09-10, 10-11, 11-12) but suddenly Randy Carlyle comes and Grabovski isn't even among the first 10 shooters in a shootout and he produces at a 32pt pace?

Carlyle is running Grabovski into the ground and as you said he is completely miscast in a role as a "shutdown center." Grabovski is an offensive center who is an equally good goal scorer as a player and he just so happens to backcheck hard and play a defensively responsible game. Giving him 35% offensive zone starts, playing alongside guys who are primarily checkers (Kulemin, Komarov, McClement) against the Sidney Crosby's, Steven Stamkos's..etc of the league..

Just ridiculous coaching IMO.
The reason is that (a) Grabovski has no chemistry with Kessel. Grabovski likes to gain entry off the rush and take a shot. He plays well with wingers who crash the net looking for garbage goals. Kessel is the exact opposite of that. (b) Carlyle uses the Kessel line and Kadri's line for offensive zone starts. Who's suppose to be his first choice for defensive zone starts? The fourth line? Kessel's line? Kadri? No, no and no. Carlyle uses Grabo for those starts because he has to. Within his coaching style, it's his only viable option.

In an ideal world, Grabo has chemistry with Kessel, he plays on the top line. Kadri plays on the second line and Bozak is on the third line. However you have to take the chemistry of players into consideration.

IMO what Carlyle should do is put Grabo on Kadri's wing. Kadri is a playmaker and has chemistry with anyone he plays with.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Grabo Kadri Lupul
Komarov McClement Kulemin
McClaren _____ Orr

Nonis can trade MacArthur at the deadline for picks (or whatever) and then get a veteran fourth line center who can win face offs.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:07 PM
  #15
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,966
vCash: 500
If any Florida fans would care to chime in, I wonder if they would do something around Grabovski/Goc

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:16 PM
  #16
LMFAO
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
The money ain't a problem for the leafs, their depth at C is...the Leafs are better off with him and his contract than the player they would likely get in return...which won't be a top 6 center.

Not to mention, if we don't get a center in return we'd be calling up the TinMan Tim Connolly to replace him.
Tim connolly is being outplayed by joe colbourne and mike zigomanis in the AHL

LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:20 PM
  #17
Wheatley
We Rabite You
 
Wheatley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,230
vCash: 500
Canucks will give you David Booth and Jordan Schroeder. We'd need a 2nd rounder is return as well though.

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:22 PM
  #18
MuchoMacho
Registered User
 
MuchoMacho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Penalty Box
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatley View Post
Canucks will give you David Booth and Jordan Schroeder. We'd need a 2nd rounder is return as well though.
I would definitely consider that deal.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 09:26 PM
  #19
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth
 
HockeyThoughts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,040
vCash: 1550
Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
The reason is that (a) Grabovski has no chemistry with Kessel. Grabovski likes to gain entry off the rush and take a shot. He plays well with wingers who crash the net looking for garbage goals. Kessel is the exact opposite of that. (b) Carlyle uses the Kessel line and Kadri's line for offensive zone starts. Who's suppose to be his first choice for defensive zone starts? The fourth line? Kessel's line? Kadri? No, no and no. Carlyle uses Grabo for those starts because he has to. Within his coaching style, it's his only viable option.

In an ideal world, Grabo has chemistry with Kessel, he plays on the top line. Kadri plays on the second line and Bozak is on the third line. However you have to take the chemistry of players into consideration.

IMO what Carlyle should do is put Grabo on Kadri's wing. Kadri is a playmaker and has chemistry with anyone he plays with.

JVR Bozak Kessel
Grabo Kadri Lupul
Komarov McClement Kulemin
McClaren _____ Orr

Nonis can trade MacArthur at the deadline for picks (or whatever) and then get a veteran fourth line center who can win face offs.
This is a myth that was started by Ron Wilson and has been disproven by posters on the Leafs forum time and time again. Prior to this season, they had been kept apart in the same way that Phil Kessel & Nazem Kadri are currently being kept apart. Before this season, Mikhail Grabovski was our 2nd best scoring threat (behind Kessel) and he was able to generate offense on his own separate line alongside Nikolai Kulemin and Clarke MacArthur. However, with the emergence of offensive wizard, Kadri, the addition of JVR and return of Lupul we are now getting scoring from all over.

I think at the very least we need to try the two players (Kessel & Grabovski) on a line for an extended period of time before completing dismissing the theory as impossible. They both play an intense speed game, Grabovski is reliable defensively and Kessel has evolved into one of the league's elite playmaking wingers. Kessel is an equal threat to pass and shoot, Grabovski falls in the same boat but opts to shoot more and JVR thus far has been the best garbage scorer on our team. Moreover, I remember Grabovski being a pretty apt playmaker in his career season in the 10/11 campaign. Perhaps he opts to shoot because he has lost trust in his linemates to score? Kulemin hasn't looked the same on the offensive side of the puck since that season, Frattin was too green in his extended time on Grabovski's line last season and McClement is a defensive specialist.

I think a line of:
Kessel-Grabovski-JVR

Could possibly re-surge Grabovski's offensive prowess and put Bozak in a much more suitable position in the process (Centering a shutdown line of Kulemin-Bozak-MacArthur).

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:20 PM
  #20
OLUSAF
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
TOR
Legwand

NSH
Grabovski

Legwand is more suited for the role that Grabo is currently playing with a cap hit of 4.5 for this year and next.
Nashville needs a pick possession top 6 forward and Grabo fits that bill.

OLUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:26 PM
  #21
Rielly4
Registered User
 
Rielly4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLUSAF View Post
TOR
Legwand

NSH
Grabovski

Legwand is more suited for the role that Grabo is currently playing with a cap hit of 4.5 for this year and next.
Nashville needs a pick possession top 6 forward and Grabo fits that bill.
I havent seen Legwand play much but i hear hes a real foot soldier. We could definitely use him, but i dont see it happening. Bozak will probably be our 3rd line center next year.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:34 PM
  #22
Rielly4
Registered User
 
Rielly4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,748
vCash: 500
I kinda really wanna see Grabo in the playoffs to see if he becomes a warrior out there but his cap is to hang onto him for 5 years as a 3rd line center... We would probably be able to afford it but it really cap straps us, that 5.5 mil could be going to a top line center or winger in FA.

Rielly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:34 PM
  #23
7even
Moderator
Deus Ex Machina
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 9,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrisRox View Post
I'm afraid Mikhail Grabovski is Brian Burke's parting gift to Maple Leafs fans.

He's a $3.5 million player with a long-term $5.5 million contract. The Leafs won't have a chance in hell of trading him until that contract is almost expired.

If I were Dave Nonis, even with the Leafs glaring issues at center, I would buy out this contract this summer with one of the two Amnesty Buyouts. He's just not nearly a $5.5. million center.
Zajac, Cammalleri, Plekanec all put up relatively similar points and make within .5M of Grabovski. Throw in UFA year and there ya go.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:39 PM
  #24
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 16,793
vCash: 500
To Tor- Luongo
To Van- Grabovski, Holzer (Leafs absorb $1.5mil of Grabovski's salary going forward)

Essentially the Leafs are investing $6.8mil in Luongo. Pretty much on par with comparable goalies league wide. The Canucks invested $6.75mil of cap space in Luongo when the cap was close to $40mil...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:43 PM
  #25
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,345
vCash: 500
He definitely has value. If any team put him in a top 6 spot, he would be good for 25 goals and 50-60 points. And teams will trade alot for top 6 centers.

He just isn't playing top 6 in Toronto right now with the emergence of Kadri and Bozak's chemistry with JVR and Kessel.

I can't see him traded now because that is too much pressure for Kadri in his first full year, and the Leafs are in the middle a playoff run right now. I can see him traded in the summer or sometime next season.


Last edited by A1LeafNation: 03-18-2013 at 12:02 AM.
A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.