HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How Paree became the Bruins theme song

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2015, 06:47 PM
  #1
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,034
vCash: 596049
How Paree became the Bruins theme song

For decades when the Bruins hit the ice they would hear organist John Kiley play this.



For years I wondered why and now from an old Stan Fischler book I have an answer.



This was the version that became a hit in France.



Quote:
Paris... reine du monde
Paris... c'est une blonde
Le nez retroussé, l'air moqueur
Les yeux toujours rieurs
Tous ceux qui te connaissent
Grisés par tes caresses
S'en vont mais revienn'nt toujours
Paris... à tes amours!

Paris ... queen of the world
Paris ... it's a blonde
Snub nose, mockingly
Eyes still laughing
All those who know you
Intoxicated by your touch
Go away but still revienn'nt
Paris ... to your love!
The Bruins dropped the song in 2008 in favor of a more modern song.

Kiley was the organist at Boston Garden from 1941 to 1984 when he was fired by Paul Mooney over an indoor parking spot.

Here is a sample of his work.


Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2015, 09:24 PM
  #2
Killion
Registered User
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Village
Country: Wales
Posts: 30,349
vCash: 500
^^^ fascinating slice of 20th & early 21st century Bruins & Boston pop culture. All of the 06 arenas & most of those that came on-line circa 67/68 through to the mid-80's when organists were being replaced with canned music have similar tales to tell. I guess if your "of an age", miss those days, before "Game Presentations", wall~wall advertising. Yes... yes... thank you for reminding me of the good old days Fenway. When you could sit there without being told when to clap, when to cheer, who & when to boo, be subjected to Safeway Meat Draws.... Visually & aurally assaulted... real bad for my tinnitus btw.... and yep... at minimum flashbacks and at maximum seizure inducing laser light shows & so on.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2015, 11:21 PM
  #3
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,034
vCash: 596049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
^^^ fascinating slice of 20th & early 21st century Bruins & Boston pop culture. All of the 06 arenas & most of those that came on-line circa 67/68 through to the mid-80's when organists were being replaced with canned music have similar tales to tell. I guess if your "of an age", miss those days, before "Game Presentations", wall~wall advertising. Yes... yes... thank you for reminding me of the good old days Fenway. When you could sit there without being told when to clap, when to cheer, who & when to boo, be subjected to Safeway Meat Draws.... Visually & aurally assaulted... real bad for my tinnitus btw.... and yep... at minimum flashbacks and at maximum seizure inducing laser light shows & so on.
I certainly have no memory of the Habs playing this.


Kiley in Boston had songs for the other 5 teams when they hit the ice.

New York - Give My Regards to Broadway
Chicago - Chicago, Chicago
Detroit - The Oldsmobile Jingle
Toronto - Maple Leaf Forever
Montreal - Alouette

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2015, 11:35 PM
  #4
Killion
Registered User
 
Killion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Village
Country: Wales
Posts: 30,349
vCash: 500
I dont recall being at Maple Leaf Gardens & hearing any organ music at all when the Leafs came
onto the ice for the warmup nor during it. First time you heard any music... National Anthems.

Killion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2015, 11:54 PM
  #5
dafoomie
blinding rage
 
dafoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,284
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
I wish they would've found a way to incorporate Paree into their modern game presentation the way Chicago did with Here Come the Hawks. Playing it after wins is better than nothing though.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-01-2015, 11:54 PM
  #6
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,034
vCash: 596049
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
I dont recall being at Maple Leaf Gardens & hearing any organ music at all when the Leafs came
onto the ice for the warmup nor during it. First time you heard any music... National Anthems.
I know that in the late 60's-early 70's MLG put the organist on a catwalk over the ice so the organ would not displace any seats.

I remember listening to Bruins games on the radio from MSG and the organist Gladys Gooding would play 2 songs from "The Music Man' as the crowd filed out which where the same song but a different tempo - 76 Trombones and Goodnight My Someone'.

Only recordings I know of Gladys who also sang the anthem when she played it.




Last edited by Fenway: 11-02-2015 at 12:01 AM.
Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2015, 12:02 AM
  #7
Fenway
Global Moderator
Bruins Historian
 
Fenway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston-Cambridge MA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,034
vCash: 596049
Quote:
Originally Posted by dafoomie View Post
I wish they would've found a way to incorporate Paree into their modern game presentation the way Chicago did with Here Come the Hawks. Playing it after wins is better than nothing though.
Ron Poster agrees with you. I would like to see DKM do an instrumental of Paree as a goal song.

Fenway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2015, 12:17 AM
  #8
dafoomie
blinding rage
 
dafoomie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 14,284
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
Ron Poster agrees with you. I would like to see DKM do an instrumental of Paree as a goal song.
I would be happy with him just playing it himself when they score.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-02-2015, 09:27 AM
  #9
Xelebes
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 692
I hope that when the Nordiques return, they break out the Jeannette Waltz, the big hit when the Quebec Bulldogs won the Stanley Cup in 1912 and 1913.

Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2015, 02:24 AM
  #10
Budddy
Registered User
 
Budddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Okanagan
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenway View Post
For decades when the Bruins hit the ice they would hear organist John Kiley play this.



For years I wondered why and now from an old Stan Fischler book I have an answer.



This was the version that became a hit in France.





The Bruins dropped the song in 2008 in favor of a more modern song.

Kiley was the organist at Boston Garden from 1941 to 1984 when he was fired by Paul Mooney over an indoor parking spot.

Here is a sample of his work.

Fired over a parking spot ? After 43 years?

Budddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2015, 09:14 AM
  #11
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 46,902
vCash: 1020
How many arenas still have live organists? I know Carolina and Chicago off the top of my head, surely there are others?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2015, 09:50 AM
  #12
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 29,984
vCash: 500
I wasn't aware of this.
So, when I saw that thread, I really, but really wondered why the Bruins, of all teams, would choose the name of the Montreal's stripper's club with the best reputation that probably quite a bit of Bruins players went to at some point in their career.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2015, 10:00 AM
  #13
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Hôlle
Posts: 29,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
How many arenas still have live organists? I know Carolina and Chicago off the top of my head, surely there are others?
Montreal has one.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.