HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part XI)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 04:52 PM
AirheadPete
G-Dub

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
I've been thinking about this scenario for a while and I think it might be a reality. I really don't see how this is going to get fixed with a summer retool where you sign a couple guys, make a trade, bring up young guy's who can make an impact, and then profit. With how many holes this roster has and how old some of our better player's are, I could see us venturing into mediocrity for a few years. Hello 10th place finishes how are ya?

By the way if we stink again next year or end up being even worse, the decision to keep the pick last year is gonna seem rather retarded. Matteau better turn into something nice because if we forfeit a top 8 pick or something next year Lou's got some major explaining to do.
the decision to keep last years pick is already retarded regardless of what happens

Old
04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Quote:
By the way if we stink again next year or end up being even worse, the decision to keep the pick last year is gonna seem rather retarded. Matteau better turn into something nice because if we forfeit a top 8 pick or something next year Lou's got some major explaining to do.
On the bright side, our first pick would be #35 if we had to dump a top five pick, instead of in the #50's lol

The funny thing is people act like Lou knew what he was getting at #29 last year and that's why he kept it, you have no idea what's going to fall to you and what isn't.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
On the bright side, our first pick would be #35 if we had to dump a top five pick, instead of in the #50's lol

The funny thing is people act like Lou knew what he was getting at #29 last year and that's why he kept it, you have no idea what's going to fall to you and what isn't.
It's blatantly obvious why he kept the pick last year and I don't understand how people still don't get it.

#29 pick last year is more valuable than a #17-23 pick in future years. NHL impact is sooner and we're not a team that's looking to compete later rather than sooner.

It backfires if we don't make the playoffs next year.. but otherwise, fine by me.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
It's blatantly obvious why he kept the pick last year and I don't understand how people still don't get it.

#29 pick last year is more valuable than a #17-23 pick in future years. NHL impact is sooner and we're not a team that's looking to compete later rather than sooner.

It backfires if we don't make the playoffs next year.. but otherwise, fine by me.
That argument's been made countless times recently too (I was more referring to posts the first couple months after it happened)...and I'm fine with it if we 'only' have to give up a pick in the late teens-early twenties. But depending on what happens in FA next year, and with our ancient goalies in a tougher division we could well be facing the nuclear scenario next year. Lou'll look dumber than Burke giving up Seguin plus plus for Kessel. At least Burke got a solid player back and that trade's been panned from here to kingdom com.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
That argument's been made countless times recently too (I was more referring to posts the first couple months after it happened)...and I'm fine with it if we 'only' have to give up a pick in the late teens-early twenties. But depending on what happens in FA next year, and with our ancient goalies in a tougher division we could well be facing the nuclear scenario next year. Lou'll look dumber than Burke giving up Seguin plus plus for Kessel. At least Burke got a solid player back and that trade's been panned from here to kingdom com.
Oh s***, I forgot about the realignment stuff. Yea I'm already mentally preparing for the nuclear scenario to go down next year. Columbus and the Isles are already very much improved, Washington is solid, Pens and Rangers are a pain, Carolina got a decent amount of young talent. We could be fighting it out with Philly for the cellar with the way our future looks. Yikes

Old
04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Fayne Staley
NJ Senior Citizens

Quote:
Oh s***, I forgot about the realignment stuff. Yea I'm already mentally preparing for the nuclear scenario to go down next year. Columbus and the Isles are already very much improved, Washington is solid, Pens and Rangers are a pain, Carolina got a decent amount of young talent. We could be fighting it out with Philly for the cellar with the way our future looks. Yikes
it definitely does not look good

Old
04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
guitarguyvic

It really is fascinating seeing how this fanbase is reacting to the first real adversity it's faced in two decades (Maclean fiasco aside).

All this talk about what-ifs and nuclear scenarios. It's not even here yet (and may not even be as close as so many fear) and people are already jumping off the ledge. Can't wait to see what it's like when it actually arrives.

One tough shortened season does not make us on par with the Florida Panthers.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:39 PM
KohoDonuts88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post

Exactly. And no GM worth his salt, especially not the GM of the New Jersey Devils, should plan for the future EXPECTING to miss the playoffs. "Let's forfeit our pick this year, because we're gonna suck the next two years, and I'm OK with that." I'll tolerate mistakes before that kind of attitude.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
It really is fascinating seeing how this fanbase is reacting to the first real adversity it's faced in two decades (Maclean fiasco aside).

All this talk about what-ifs and nuclear scenarios. It's not even here yet (and may not even be as close as so many fear) and people are already jumping off the ledge. Can't wait to see what it's like when it actually arrives.

See this post, especially bolded.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:

Florida's made the playoffs as many times as we have the last three years, barring something insane the last two weeks.

It's more than about 'one tough shortened season'. Our goalies are both going to be over 40 and their play already declined this year. Over 20% of the roster is UFA including some of our few good forwards left. The division's getting tougher. We still haven't replaced Parise walking last year (and our 'top center' still hasn't found a way to produce without him). The arrows are all trending downward, at least for the immediate future.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:

Well if my math is correct, I was 3 years old, exactly 2 decades ago so this whole experience is pretty new to me. I don't think looking at the worst case scenario is terrible. It would probably soften the blow if it does happen. This summer is pretty crucial to say the least. Really big decisions are gonna have to be made.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
apice3*

Lundqvist to NJ thread on the trade board may have been my all time greatest contribution to HF. When I die, I hope that's what I'm most remembered for.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S

Quote:

We're a spoiled fanbase and I mean what else can you honesty expect? I mean **** like this just usually doesn't happen to the Devils and it's definitely a shock to the system. I've been following this team for 20 years and it's not as if this group is the worst they've had. You look at those 07 and 08 squads, for example, and those were pretty mediocre teams that were propped up by a goaltender playing out of his mind. Thing is though, however they did it, they always found a way to get through the troubled and difficult points of a season. Now it's the exact opposite. They simply can't get the job done. There were signs of this from the very start of this season but I can't honestly say that I thought they would reach this low. This team is straight up mess.

I think what's scary about everything is that you'll be talking 2 out of 3 years of not making the playoffs and that's really not good at all and it's not a good sign either. And not only do they miss, they also self destruct in the process. It's not just losing. It's prolonged season destroying swoons. That was the story for pretty much every game of 2010 and they've repeated it now for 2013. I know the Cup run is sandwiched in there as well, but there's a lot to be worried about with this team and people just aren't used to it.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Florida's made the playoffs as many times as we have the last three years, barring something insane the last two weeks.

It's more than about 'one tough shortened season'. Our goalies are both going to be over 40 and their play already declined this year. Over 20% of the roster is UFA including some of our few good forwards left. The division's getting tougher. We still haven't replaced Parise walking last year (and our 'top center' still hasn't found a way to produce without him). The arrows are all trending downward, at least for the immediate future.
What do we have going for us other than Kovy and Lokti? Thats about half the roster you just mentioned lol. Larsson I guess but the jury's still out on him. Andy Greene and Steve Bernier are cool! Maybe Henrique and Zajac won't look lifeless again. Positives are few and far between for next year but it's only April. S*** if Ottawa loses tonight and we beat them tomorrow were only 2 out of 8th

Old
04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
guitarguyvic

Quote:

Hey I'm not disagreeing with the idea that things may be trending downward. I'm just...surprised...at the lack of faith in this organization to potentially avoid these worst-case scenarios. Historically, things looked bleak after Stevens and Niedermayer left too, but it worked out OK for a while. Not saying this is the same scenario, just think it's too soon to assume we are going to be the Edmonton Oilers.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's

Quote:
Hey I'm not disagreeing with the idea that things may be trending downward. I'm just...surprised...at the lack of faith in this organization to potentially avoid these worst-case scenarios. Historically, things looked bleak after Stevens and Niedermayer left too, but it worked out OK for a while. Not saying this is the same scenario, just think it's too soon to assume we are going to be the Edmonton Oilers.
The problem is post lockout Lou hasn't exactly lit the world on fire so I think that's why a lot of people are a bit depressed. I mean making the playoffs is ok and all but with the exception of last year we haven't had a cup contending team in a decade. That's a long time especially for an organization that doesn't except mediocrity. I hope they turn this around next year but we have some pretty big sink holes on this roster.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:08 PM
HeliDevil
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Lundqvist to NJ thread on the trade board may have been my all time greatest contribution to HF. When I die, I hope that's what I'm most remembered for.
Very interesting read. 5/5.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
guitarguyvic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
We're a spoiled fanbase and I mean what else can you honesty expect? I mean **** like this just usually doesn't happen to the Devils and it's definitely a shock to the system. I've been following this team for 20 years and it's not as if this group is the worst they've had. You look at those 07 and 08 squads, for example, and those were pretty mediocre teams that were propped up by a goaltender playing out of his mind. Thing is though, however they did it, they always found a way to get through the troubled and difficult points of a season. Now it's the exact opposite. They simply can't get the job done. There were signs of this from the very start of this season but I can't honestly say that I thought they would reach this low. This team is straight up mess.

I think what's scary about everything is that you'll be talking 2 out of 3 years of not making the playoffs and that's really not good at all and it's not a good sign either. And not only do they miss, they also self destruct in the process. It's not just losing. It's prolonged season destroying swoons. That was the story for pretty much every game of 2010 and they've repeated it now for 2013. I know the Cup run is sandwiched in there as well, but there's a lot to be worried about with this team and people just aren't used to it.
Somehow this post from TG's blog made me feel better. It's pure gold.

"Listen, just like all of you I am a diehard fan. But, it’s time to call a spade a spade. The devils will not make the playoffs. I fully understand that there is 8 games to go and anything can happen, but it won’t happen. Why? Because if the devils play good, they lose. If they play poor, they lose. If they score SHG’s, they lose. If they go 14 for 14 on the PP, they lose. If they outshoot the opposition or even get outshot, they lose. Devils could have 2 goalies playing at the same time. And you know what happens? You guessed it, they lose. As fans, you just need to face the music and accept that this season is over. Maybe it’s time to get a new hobby, open up a book, start that gardening project you’ve been thinking about, make a baby. Enjoy the summer and lets hope the off season brings in new players and good draft prosepects to rebuild. Resign the key cogs that need to be resigned. But as for this season lets just give it a teddy bear, give a kiss on the forehead, and tuck it in because its night night time for the 2012-2013 New Jersey Devils. Sweet dreams Mr Devil, you have a long offseason of sleep. Dream of the days of Henrique ending it(twice), Kovalchuk’s philly fight, and a 30 goal Clarkson season."

Old
04-11-2013, 06:16 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Somehow this post from TG's blog made me feel better. It's pure gold.

"Listen, just like all of you I am a diehard fan. But, it’s time to call a spade a spade. The devils will not make the playoffs. I fully understand that there is 8 games to go and anything can happen, but it won’t happen. Why? Because if the devils play good, they lose. If they play poor, they lose. If they score SHG’s, they lose. If they go 14 for 14 on the PP, they lose. If they outshoot the opposition or even get outshot, they lose. Devils could have 2 goalies playing at the same time. And you know what happens? You guessed it, they lose. As fans, you just need to face the music and accept that this season is over. Maybe it’s time to get a new hobby, open up a book, start that gardening project you’ve been thinking about, make a baby. Enjoy the summer and lets hope the off season brings in new players and good draft prosepects to rebuild. Resign the key cogs that need to be resigned. But as for this season lets just give it a teddy bear, give a kiss on the forehead, and tuck it in because its night night time for the 2012-2013 New Jersey Devils. Sweet dreams Mr Devil, you have a long offseason of sleep. Dream of the days of Henrique ending it(twice), Kovalchuk’s philly fight, and a 30 goal Clarkson season."
its grim but not over yet. until the math says so im on board till the end.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
i love you.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
Zippy316

Andy McDonald is being used on the LW of late right?

He might not be a bad low-cost, high-reward option, and he is very good offensively.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

It's funny how this board is sort dividing into factions -- the Statists and the AntiStatists. (I consider myself a Stat Agnostic. I believe that stats are unknown or unknowable. )

I think we're just on the cusp of the normal cyclical ebb and flow of a professional sports team. Good for a while, bad for a while. And really, we're about 10 years overdue. Look at the poor souls around us. The Rangers missed the playoffs for 7 straight years not too long ago. The Isles have been bad for 30 years. Flyers haven't won since Ford was in office.

I'm too young to remember the truly dark days of the early to mid '80's. But I do remember the "meh" years following the '88 run. Yeah we've been spoiled, but nobody is gonna shed a tear for us. We've been to 5 finals, and won 3 Cups in the last 18 years. We've seen plenty of success and maybe it's time to pay the piper and suck it up for a few years, bid our outgoing HOF'ers a fond farewell, welcome in the young guys and watch them develop, and basically just see what happens.

Well, enough of that....

Old
04-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Devils Insiders

Whether you're an eternal optimist, or an over-the-top pessimist... the most important thing is for Devils fans to stay united. It's time to stop fighting.

http://devilsinsiders.com/2013/04/11...-recent-slide/

Old
04-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
Wow, I completely forgot we have a ton of UFA/RFAs after this season. My hopeful:

UFA:
Elias - 2 yrs @ $8-10M
Zubrus - 2 yrs @ $6M
Clarkson - 4 yrs @ $13M
Sullivan - Walk
Ponikarovsky - 1 yrs @ $1.5M/walk
Kostopoulous - Walk
Zidlicky - Walk
Harrold - Walk

RFA:
Henrique - 5 yrs @ $18M
Loktionov - 4 yrs @ $12M
D'Agostini - 2 yrs @ $2M/walk
Josefson - 3 yrs @ $2M
Tedenby - 2 yrs @ $1.2M
I'd be fine with all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Devils should be targeting Weiss, Filppula, Bouchard, and perhaps Clowe.
I'd be fine with all of this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Bouchard definitely has top six talent, and would be our most skilled forward after Kovy and Elias.
The concussion issues make me leery of him.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Fayne Staley
NJ Senior Citizens

Bob Mac apparently said on NBC a few days ago that Clarkson is looking for a long term deal, 5-6 per yr. lol

Closed Thread