HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part XI)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2013, 04:52 PM
  #151
AirheadPete
G-Dub
 
AirheadPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 7,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
I've been thinking about this scenario for a while and I think it might be a reality. I really don't see how this is going to get fixed with a summer retool where you sign a couple guys, make a trade, bring up young guy's who can make an impact, and then profit. With how many holes this roster has and how old some of our better player's are, I could see us venturing into mediocrity for a few years. Hello 10th place finishes how are ya?

By the way if we stink again next year or end up being even worse, the decision to keep the pick last year is gonna seem rather retarded. Matteau better turn into something nice because if we forfeit a top 8 pick or something next year Lou's got some major explaining to do.
the decision to keep last years pick is already retarded regardless of what happens

AirheadPete is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
  #152
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
By the way if we stink again next year or end up being even worse, the decision to keep the pick last year is gonna seem rather retarded. Matteau better turn into something nice because if we forfeit a top 8 pick or something next year Lou's got some major explaining to do.
On the bright side, our first pick would be #35 if we had to dump a top five pick, instead of in the #50's lol

The funny thing is people act like Lou knew what he was getting at #29 last year and that's why he kept it, you have no idea what's going to fall to you and what isn't.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
  #153
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
On the bright side, our first pick would be #35 if we had to dump a top five pick, instead of in the #50's lol

The funny thing is people act like Lou knew what he was getting at #29 last year and that's why he kept it, you have no idea what's going to fall to you and what isn't.
It's blatantly obvious why he kept the pick last year and I don't understand how people still don't get it.

#29 pick last year is more valuable than a #17-23 pick in future years. NHL impact is sooner and we're not a team that's looking to compete later rather than sooner.

It backfires if we don't make the playoffs next year.. but otherwise, fine by me.

DevilChuk* is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:04 PM
  #154
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
It's blatantly obvious why he kept the pick last year and I don't understand how people still don't get it.

#29 pick last year is more valuable than a #17-23 pick in future years. NHL impact is sooner and we're not a team that's looking to compete later rather than sooner.

It backfires if we don't make the playoffs next year.. but otherwise, fine by me.
That argument's been made countless times recently too (I was more referring to posts the first couple months after it happened)...and I'm fine with it if we 'only' have to give up a pick in the late teens-early twenties. But depending on what happens in FA next year, and with our ancient goalies in a tougher division we could well be facing the nuclear scenario next year. Lou'll look dumber than Burke giving up Seguin plus plus for Kessel. At least Burke got a solid player back and that trade's been panned from here to kingdom com.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:15 PM
  #155
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's
 
Benedict Parisechuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That argument's been made countless times recently too (I was more referring to posts the first couple months after it happened)...and I'm fine with it if we 'only' have to give up a pick in the late teens-early twenties. But depending on what happens in FA next year, and with our ancient goalies in a tougher division we could well be facing the nuclear scenario next year. Lou'll look dumber than Burke giving up Seguin plus plus for Kessel. At least Burke got a solid player back and that trade's been panned from here to kingdom com.
Oh s***, I forgot about the realignment stuff. Yea I'm already mentally preparing for the nuclear scenario to go down next year. Columbus and the Isles are already very much improved, Washington is solid, Pens and Rangers are a pain, Carolina got a decent amount of young talent. We could be fighting it out with Philly for the cellar with the way our future looks. Yikes

Benedict Parisechuk is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
  #156
Fayne Staley
NJ Senior Citizens
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 12,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoDevilsfan26 View Post
Oh s***, I forgot about the realignment stuff. Yea I'm already mentally preparing for the nuclear scenario to go down next year. Columbus and the Isles are already very much improved, Washington is solid, Pens and Rangers are a pain, Carolina got a decent amount of young talent. We could be fighting it out with Philly for the cellar with the way our future looks. Yikes
it definitely does not look good

Fayne Staley is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:33 PM
  #157
guitarguyvic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
It really is fascinating seeing how this fanbase is reacting to the first real adversity it's faced in two decades (Maclean fiasco aside).

All this talk about what-ifs and nuclear scenarios. It's not even here yet (and may not even be as close as so many fear) and people are already jumping off the ledge. Can't wait to see what it's like when it actually arrives.

One tough shortened season does not make us on par with the Florida Panthers.

guitarguyvic is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:39 PM
  #158
KohoDonuts88
Registered User
 
KohoDonuts88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
It's blatantly obvious why he kept the pick last year and I don't understand how people still don't get it.

#29 pick last year is more valuable than a #17-23 pick in future years. NHL impact is sooner and we're not a team that's looking to compete later rather than sooner.

It backfires if we don't make the playoffs next year.. but otherwise, fine by me.
Exactly. And no GM worth his salt, especially not the GM of the New Jersey Devils, should plan for the future EXPECTING to miss the playoffs. "Let's forfeit our pick this year, because we're gonna suck the next two years, and I'm OK with that." I'll tolerate mistakes before that kind of attitude.

KohoDonuts88 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:40 PM
  #159
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
That argument's been made countless times recently too (I was more referring to posts the first couple months after it happened)...and I'm fine with it if we 'only' have to give up a pick in the late teens-early twenties. But depending on what happens in FA next year, and with our ancient goalies in a tougher division we could well be facing the nuclear scenario next year. Lou'll look dumber than Burke giving up Seguin plus plus for Kessel. At least Burke got a solid player back and that trade's been panned from here to kingdom com.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
It really is fascinating seeing how this fanbase is reacting to the first real adversity it's faced in two decades (Maclean fiasco aside).

All this talk about what-ifs and nuclear scenarios. It's not even here yet (and may not even be as close as so many fear) and people are already jumping off the ledge. Can't wait to see what it's like when it actually arrives.

One tough shortened season does not make us on par with the Florida Panthers.
See this post, especially bolded.

DevilChuk* is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:43 PM
  #160
NJDevs26
Moderator
Status quo
 
NJDevs26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 24,638
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
It really is fascinating seeing how this fanbase is reacting to the first real adversity it's faced in two decades (Maclean fiasco aside).

All this talk about what-ifs and nuclear scenarios. It's not even here yet (and may not even be as close as so many fear) and people are already jumping off the ledge. Can't wait to see what it's like when it actually arrives.

One tough shortened season does not make us on par with the Florida Panthers.
Florida's made the playoffs as many times as we have the last three years, barring something insane the last two weeks.

It's more than about 'one tough shortened season'. Our goalies are both going to be over 40 and their play already declined this year. Over 20% of the roster is UFA including some of our few good forwards left. The division's getting tougher. We still haven't replaced Parise walking last year (and our 'top center' still hasn't found a way to produce without him). The arrows are all trending downward, at least for the immediate future.

NJDevs26 is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:48 PM
  #161
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's
 
Benedict Parisechuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
It really is fascinating seeing how this fanbase is reacting to the first real adversity it's faced in two decades (Maclean fiasco aside).

All this talk about what-ifs and nuclear scenarios. It's not even here yet (and may not even be as close as so many fear) and people are already jumping off the ledge. Can't wait to see what it's like when it actually arrives.

One tough shortened season does not make us on par with the Florida Panthers.
Well if my math is correct, I was 3 years old, exactly 2 decades ago so this whole experience is pretty new to me. I don't think looking at the worst case scenario is terrible. It would probably soften the blow if it does happen. This summer is pretty crucial to say the least. Really big decisions are gonna have to be made.

Benedict Parisechuk is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
  #162
apice3*
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middletown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 18,520
vCash: 500
Lundqvist to NJ thread on the trade board may have been my all time greatest contribution to HF. When I die, I hope that's what I'm most remembered for.

apice3* is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:55 PM
  #163
Sir Fenwick Corsi
N U M B E R S
 
Sir Fenwick Corsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 3,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
It really is fascinating seeing how this fanbase is reacting to the first real adversity it's faced in two decades (Maclean fiasco aside).

All this talk about what-ifs and nuclear scenarios. It's not even here yet (and may not even be as close as so many fear) and people are already jumping off the ledge. Can't wait to see what it's like when it actually arrives.

One tough shortened season does not make us on par with the Florida Panthers.
We're a spoiled fanbase and I mean what else can you honesty expect? I mean **** like this just usually doesn't happen to the Devils and it's definitely a shock to the system. I've been following this team for 20 years and it's not as if this group is the worst they've had. You look at those 07 and 08 squads, for example, and those were pretty mediocre teams that were propped up by a goaltender playing out of his mind. Thing is though, however they did it, they always found a way to get through the troubled and difficult points of a season. Now it's the exact opposite. They simply can't get the job done. There were signs of this from the very start of this season but I can't honestly say that I thought they would reach this low. This team is straight up mess.

I think what's scary about everything is that you'll be talking 2 out of 3 years of not making the playoffs and that's really not good at all and it's not a good sign either. And not only do they miss, they also self destruct in the process. It's not just losing. It's prolonged season destroying swoons. That was the story for pretty much every game of 2010 and they've repeated it now for 2013. I know the Cup run is sandwiched in there as well, but there's a lot to be worried about with this team and people just aren't used to it.

Sir Fenwick Corsi is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  #164
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's
 
Benedict Parisechuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Florida's made the playoffs as many times as we have the last three years, barring something insane the last two weeks.

It's more than about 'one tough shortened season'. Our goalies are both going to be over 40 and their play already declined this year. Over 20% of the roster is UFA including some of our few good forwards left. The division's getting tougher. We still haven't replaced Parise walking last year (and our 'top center' still hasn't found a way to produce without him). The arrows are all trending downward, at least for the immediate future.
What do we have going for us other than Kovy and Lokti? Thats about half the roster you just mentioned lol. Larsson I guess but the jury's still out on him. Andy Greene and Steve Bernier are cool! Maybe Henrique and Zajac won't look lifeless again. Positives are few and far between for next year but it's only April. S*** if Ottawa loses tonight and we beat them tomorrow were only 2 out of 8th

Benedict Parisechuk is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 05:56 PM
  #165
guitarguyvic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Florida's made the playoffs as many times as we have the last three years, barring something insane the last two weeks.

It's more than about 'one tough shortened season'. Our goalies are both going to be over 40 and their play already declined this year. Over 20% of the roster is UFA including some of our few good forwards left. The division's getting tougher. We still haven't replaced Parise walking last year (and our 'top center' still hasn't found a way to produce without him). The arrows are all trending downward, at least for the immediate future.
Hey I'm not disagreeing with the idea that things may be trending downward. I'm just...surprised...at the lack of faith in this organization to potentially avoid these worst-case scenarios. Historically, things looked bleak after Stevens and Niedermayer left too, but it worked out OK for a while. Not saying this is the same scenario, just think it's too soon to assume we are going to be the Edmonton Oilers.

guitarguyvic is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:04 PM
  #166
Benedict Parisechuk
Army of Pandolfo's
 
Benedict Parisechuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 6,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
Hey I'm not disagreeing with the idea that things may be trending downward. I'm just...surprised...at the lack of faith in this organization to potentially avoid these worst-case scenarios. Historically, things looked bleak after Stevens and Niedermayer left too, but it worked out OK for a while. Not saying this is the same scenario, just think it's too soon to assume we are going to be the Edmonton Oilers.
The problem is post lockout Lou hasn't exactly lit the world on fire so I think that's why a lot of people are a bit depressed. I mean making the playoffs is ok and all but with the exception of last year we haven't had a cup contending team in a decade. That's a long time especially for an organization that doesn't except mediocrity. I hope they turn this around next year but we have some pretty big sink holes on this roster.

Benedict Parisechuk is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:08 PM
  #167
HeliDevil
Legend
 
HeliDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 6,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Lundqvist to NJ thread on the trade board may have been my all time greatest contribution to HF. When I die, I hope that's what I'm most remembered for.
Very interesting read. 5/5.

HeliDevil is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:11 PM
  #168
guitarguyvic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,483
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nona weisbaum View Post
We're a spoiled fanbase and I mean what else can you honesty expect? I mean **** like this just usually doesn't happen to the Devils and it's definitely a shock to the system. I've been following this team for 20 years and it's not as if this group is the worst they've had. You look at those 07 and 08 squads, for example, and those were pretty mediocre teams that were propped up by a goaltender playing out of his mind. Thing is though, however they did it, they always found a way to get through the troubled and difficult points of a season. Now it's the exact opposite. They simply can't get the job done. There were signs of this from the very start of this season but I can't honestly say that I thought they would reach this low. This team is straight up mess.

I think what's scary about everything is that you'll be talking 2 out of 3 years of not making the playoffs and that's really not good at all and it's not a good sign either. And not only do they miss, they also self destruct in the process. It's not just losing. It's prolonged season destroying swoons. That was the story for pretty much every game of 2010 and they've repeated it now for 2013. I know the Cup run is sandwiched in there as well, but there's a lot to be worried about with this team and people just aren't used to it.
Somehow this post from TG's blog made me feel better. It's pure gold.

"Listen, just like all of you I am a diehard fan. But, it’s time to call a spade a spade. The devils will not make the playoffs. I fully understand that there is 8 games to go and anything can happen, but it won’t happen. Why? Because if the devils play good, they lose. If they play poor, they lose. If they score SHG’s, they lose. If they go 14 for 14 on the PP, they lose. If they outshoot the opposition or even get outshot, they lose. Devils could have 2 goalies playing at the same time. And you know what happens? You guessed it, they lose. As fans, you just need to face the music and accept that this season is over. Maybe it’s time to get a new hobby, open up a book, start that gardening project you’ve been thinking about, make a baby. Enjoy the summer and lets hope the off season brings in new players and good draft prosepects to rebuild. Resign the key cogs that need to be resigned. But as for this season lets just give it a teddy bear, give a kiss on the forehead, and tuck it in because its night night time for the 2012-2013 New Jersey Devils. Sweet dreams Mr Devil, you have a long offseason of sleep. Dream of the days of Henrique ending it(twice), Kovalchuk’s philly fight, and a 30 goal Clarkson season."

guitarguyvic is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:16 PM
  #169
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!
 
njdevils1982's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: North of Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguyvic View Post
Somehow this post from TG's blog made me feel better. It's pure gold.

"Listen, just like all of you I am a diehard fan. But, it’s time to call a spade a spade. The devils will not make the playoffs. I fully understand that there is 8 games to go and anything can happen, but it won’t happen. Why? Because if the devils play good, they lose. If they play poor, they lose. If they score SHG’s, they lose. If they go 14 for 14 on the PP, they lose. If they outshoot the opposition or even get outshot, they lose. Devils could have 2 goalies playing at the same time. And you know what happens? You guessed it, they lose. As fans, you just need to face the music and accept that this season is over. Maybe it’s time to get a new hobby, open up a book, start that gardening project you’ve been thinking about, make a baby. Enjoy the summer and lets hope the off season brings in new players and good draft prosepects to rebuild. Resign the key cogs that need to be resigned. But as for this season lets just give it a teddy bear, give a kiss on the forehead, and tuck it in because its night night time for the 2012-2013 New Jersey Devils. Sweet dreams Mr Devil, you have a long offseason of sleep. Dream of the days of Henrique ending it(twice), Kovalchuk’s philly fight, and a 30 goal Clarkson season."
its grim but not over yet. until the math says so im on board till the end.


njdevils1982 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
  #170
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.
 
MasterofGrond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,621
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
Lundqvist to NJ thread on the trade board may have been my all time greatest contribution to HF. When I die, I hope that's what I'm most remembered for.
i love you.

MasterofGrond is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:39 PM
  #171
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Zippy316's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,129
vCash: 500
Andy McDonald is being used on the LW of late right?

He might not be a bad low-cost, high-reward option, and he is very good offensively.

Zippy316 is online now  
Old
04-11-2013, 06:45 PM
  #172
Luke3026
When you're burned..
 
Luke3026's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raritan, NJ
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
It's funny how this board is sort dividing into factions -- the Statists and the AntiStatists. (I consider myself a Stat Agnostic. I believe that stats are unknown or unknowable. )

I think we're just on the cusp of the normal cyclical ebb and flow of a professional sports team. Good for a while, bad for a while. And really, we're about 10 years overdue. Look at the poor souls around us. The Rangers missed the playoffs for 7 straight years not too long ago. The Isles have been bad for 30 years. Flyers haven't won since Ford was in office.

I'm too young to remember the truly dark days of the early to mid '80's. But I do remember the "meh" years following the '88 run. Yeah we've been spoiled, but nobody is gonna shed a tear for us. We've been to 5 finals, and won 3 Cups in the last 18 years. We've seen plenty of success and maybe it's time to pay the piper and suck it up for a few years, bid our outgoing HOF'ers a fond farewell, welcome in the young guys and watch them develop, and basically just see what happens.

Well, enough of that....

Luke3026 is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:14 PM
  #173
Devils Insiders
Registered User
 
Devils Insiders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 183
vCash: 500
Whether you're an eternal optimist, or an over-the-top pessimist... the most important thing is for Devils fans to stay united. It's time to stop fighting.

http://devilsinsiders.com/2013/04/11...-recent-slide/

Devils Insiders is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:20 PM
  #174
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!
 
Saugus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 97,500
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
Wow, I completely forgot we have a ton of UFA/RFAs after this season. My hopeful:

UFA:
Elias - 2 yrs @ $8-10M
Zubrus - 2 yrs @ $6M
Clarkson - 4 yrs @ $13M
Sullivan - Walk
Ponikarovsky - 1 yrs @ $1.5M/walk
Kostopoulous - Walk
Zidlicky - Walk
Harrold - Walk

RFA:
Henrique - 5 yrs @ $18M
Loktionov - 4 yrs @ $12M
D'Agostini - 2 yrs @ $2M/walk
Josefson - 3 yrs @ $2M
Tedenby - 2 yrs @ $1.2M
I'd be fine with all of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Devils should be targeting Weiss, Filppula, Bouchard, and perhaps Clowe.
I'd be fine with all of this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Bouchard definitely has top six talent, and would be our most skilled forward after Kovy and Elias.
The concussion issues make me leery of him.

Saugus is offline  
Old
04-11-2013, 07:22 PM
  #175
Fayne Staley
NJ Senior Citizens
 
Fayne Staley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 12,102
vCash: 500
Bob Mac apparently said on NBC a few days ago that Clarkson is looking for a long term deal, 5-6 per yr. lol

Fayne Staley is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.