HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part XI)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Traitor Zach
Waive Gionta

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashintangibles View Post
Clarkson is going to get $4.5M per year under the new CBA. We don't have cap space issues and we need him on the 3rd line, where he belongs. Lou re-signs him hopefully.
As long as Deboer is here, he won't be on the 3rd line and that's really one of the problems lately for him and the team. Also, $4.5m is probably what he will get, but as I've stated that is closer to a secondary forward who sees time on the top 2 lines and some PP time. I don't particularly care for Clarkson or for his brain-dead style of play. I won't root against him, but I'll be pretty ambivalent about him being on the team.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:33 PM
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traitor Zach View Post
As long as Deboer is here, he won't be on the 3rd line and that's really one of the problems lately for him and the team. Also, $4.5m is probably what he will get, but as I've stated that is closer to a secondary forward who sees time on the top 2 lines and some PP time. I don't particularly care for Clarkson or for his brain-dead style of play. I won't root against him, but I'll be pretty ambivalent about him being on the team.
Well iirc Clarkson played on the 3rd line all season long last year.

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk
Sykie-Patty-Zubie

Old
04-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Bleedred
Kalinin is JAG

Quote:
Well iirc Clarkson played on the 3rd line all season long last year.

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk
Sykie-Patty-Zubie
I think he's done on the 3rd line at this point. Deboer won't put him back on there unless it's to shake things up like how Zajac was cetering the 3rd line for a while. Or if he finds a rhythm with some linemates there.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:44 PM
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think he's done on the 3rd line at this point. Deboer won't put him back on there unless it's to shake things up like how Zajac was cetering the 3rd line for a while. Or if he finds a rhythm with some linemates there.
If Peter Deboer can't see how much Clarkson needs to get easier match-ups, I would really question his abilities to coach at this level. Poor Clarky is in over his head.

I believe Deboer's more handcuffed with the lack of top-end talent than really wanting Clarktard in the top 6, but we'll see.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Bleedred
Kalinin is JAG

Quote:
If Peter Deboer can't see how much Clarkson needs to get easier match-ups, I would really question his abilities to coach at this level. Poor Clarky is in over his head.

I believe Deboer's more handcuffed with the lack of top-end talent than really wanting Clarktard in the top 6, but we'll see.
Maybe you'll wind up being right after this poor string of play from Clarkson where he's somehow gotten less points than the invisible Poni over the last 26 games.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:53 PM
NJDevs26
No more status quo?!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe you'll wind up being right after this poor string of play from Clarkson where he's somehow gotten less points than the invisible Poni over the last 26 games.
lol that's bad. I only remember Poni scoring in his first game, and converting that layup from Elias against the Isles.

Old
04-11-2013, 11:55 PM
Bleedred
Kalinin is JAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
lol that's bad. I only remember Poni scoring in his first game, and converting that layup from Elias against the Isles.
Poni has two points since February. One assist in the 5-2 Flyers beatdown last month, and the goal last week. He had a 3 game assist streak which included the home and home against Winnipeg, and the Washington beatdown that preceded it. And a goal in his first game. Those are his only 6 points with us since he's been back. He was injured for a little while there, but still.

He's also been a healthy scratch and only played 9 minutes last night. If he isn't the next Sykora then I'd lose a whole lot of money on that bet. He'll most definitely be Sykora'd next season. Especially in a year where Lou will undoubtedly purge some turds after the diarrhea that was this season.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:45 AM
The Great Dame
DSevs

Briere will likely be bought out this summer making him a UFA, just throwing that idea out there. With all the top UFA's (Horton, Filppula, Ribeiro, etc) likely to make bank. Not that I would want an old Danny Briere, but he's another name to throw into the mix for UFA forwards this year.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:50 AM
Bleedred
Kalinin is JAG

Briere would be okay if he was CHEAP.

Old
04-12-2013, 12:51 AM
Banana Sandwiches

Ponikarovsky's lack of production would probably **** me off a lot more if he was getting paid a ton like Zajac. But his contract is pretty good and I'm willing to chalk this up as a bad year for him.

Hell, I'm almost willing to give everyone this year as a mulligan. There's just no way that almost everyone (except Marty, Kovy, CBGB, Greene, and Elias to a degree) could suddenly play this bad but because of the shortened season. At least I tell myself that the shortened season is the reason for this tailspin, despite the early season success.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:03 AM
Bleedred
Kalinin is JAG

Re signing Ponikrarovsky wouldn't hurt since he'd only cost $1.5 million and it would likely only take a year to sign him. I just hope it doesn't come down to Zubrus or Poni. I'd like to keep Zubrus unless it's for some bad price.

Old
04-12-2013, 01:32 AM
JerseySideOfTheRiver
Geaux Devils

I'd love nathan horton

Old
04-12-2013, 01:46 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySideOfTheRiver View Post
I'd love nathan horton
Horton is one hit away from hearing the whos.....extremely risky

Old
04-12-2013, 02:50 AM
VaxjoDevil

Quote:
Re signing Ponikrarovsky wouldn't hurt since he'd only cost $1.5 million and it would likely only take a year to sign him. I just hope it doesn't come down to Zubrus or Poni. I'd like to keep Zubrus unless it's for some bad price.
They can sign Poni for 7 bucks an hour to tie Zubrus' skate laces.

Old
04-12-2013, 03:02 AM
Parise9Crosby87

riberio sounds pretty nice and he is good in the shootouts

Old
04-12-2013, 04:45 AM
The Green Unit
Lost Cosmonaut

Ribeiro wants a big paycheck (and has a reputation that on paper, doesn't fit our organisation). He's going after something around 5 years $30M IMO. Looking at our hopeless offensive needs he'd be one of the 1st guy I'd try to sign though, I'd take him over Weiss quite easily. Offensively Ribeiro > Weiss.

To me a good off-season would start with Lou signing Mike Ribeiro and a winger between Raymond, Bouchard or Stalberg.

Old
04-12-2013, 06:29 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils1029 View Post
Devils signed Seth Helgeson to a two year, two deal.
Good for him, he deserves it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Sandwiches View Post
Hell, I'm almost willing to give everyone this year as a mulligan.
We did the same thing for the MacLean disaster. I think you're probably right that it is the shortened season causing the issues, but that's too many mulligans in too short a time for an organisation that prides itself on forging ahead with no excuses.

Old
04-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Billdo

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Our captain is a -12 just saying
Sadly we have him under contract for 2 more years. He's been terrible.

Old
04-12-2013, 08:17 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

If Briere is bought out, Lou better offer him a contract. He can play all 3 positions, he's ****ing clutch during the post season and is a legit 1st line forward.

He'd be my #1 option

Old
04-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Luke3026
When you're burned..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
We did the same thing for the MacLean disaster. I think you're probably right that it is the shortened season causing the issues, but that's too many mulligans in too short a time for an organisation that prides itself on forging ahead with no excuses.
That's gonna be the problem evaluating what we actually have. The short season, no camp, condensed schedule. For example, does Zajac just suck now, or would he have found his game in a longer season?

And I'll always thank Briere for this classic gif for the ages:

Old
04-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
If Briere is bought out the Devils should definitely take a chance on him.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:34 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaStark View Post
Hello all, Long time lurker here, finally registered to join this discussion.

I remind everyone, very similar to football in the fact that (the way I see it atleast) it all comes down to who is hot at the end of the year. I agree that we need to revise the roster to get younger faster and more creative, its painfully obvious if you watch every night from start to finish like me. This year is truly lost. But lets let our guys come back next year with clear heads, add a piece or two and give it another go. PD has given us enough reason to believe his system can work.
Theres no need to freak out, were the new jersey devils for god sakes. If the team starts to suck next year Petey goes byebye and we can all start ******** ourselves when we get there. For now - put this **** in your heads and let the honorary annual cycle begin for the hundredth time: EJHADADICk and other idiot pundits will say we wont make the playoffs, Lou will sit in the ivory tower and doing whatever he does and the team will keep on chugging as always, come april (POOF!) whatdya know?? there the devils are, sitting in like what? 5th place, 6th place AGAIN.... and firmly in the playoffs....wow...seen that before?? Ya dude like I said, 100 freakin times!

The big fish eat the little fish and the DEVILS keep on paddling.
welcome. while I salute your optimism, the point I made somewhere in this nonsense is that im getting sick of this script. I’ve spent more time rooting for lou to make an overhaul, a change, a trade, something NOT 4TH LINER RELATED way too much recently. yes, yes, we ‘got hot’ at the right time and made it to the ECF. but hey, how did we play without parise when he was injured? I wonder how we’ll play without him this year? pretty obvious what was going to happen when our captain and arguably best player left….except to lou. don’t get me wrong, im glad we got barch but come on now.

he splurged on defensemen a few years back, most of which were healthy scratches as we still have 8 FRIGGIN defensemen on the roster. just so inexcusable, for so many reasons.

my point is, as much as I’d love to say what martyowns every year says ‘ahh, lou will fix this in the offseason’ im out of patience. unless he brings back lemaire, which would be DEVASTATING, I doubt theres anything he’ll do.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Devils Dominion
Trade LJ

Devils need a rebuild, should have got picks for Clarkson and one of the 8 defensemen a few weeks ago, bad decisions by Lou to hold on to them.

Cox is a good hockey writer:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...eboot_cox.html

Old
04-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Jack Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Dominion View Post
Devils need a rebuild, should have got picks for Clarkson and one of the 8 defensemen a few weeks ago, bad decisions by Lou to hold on to them.

Cox is a good hockey writer:
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...eboot_cox.html
The Devils don't need a rebuild and Damien Cox is a bad hockey writer.

Old
04-12-2013, 09:51 AM
guitarguyvic

Lou is a smart man. I think he's going to figure out how to get this team back on track starting this off-season, potentially more for the long-term rather than the short.

If he doesn't, then we'll know it's maybe the end of the road for him. We will see. No matter what happens, it's been a great couple of decades guys and gals!

Closed Thread