OHLFan8771

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* London Knights 2013 Off-Season Thread

Last thread close to 1,000 posts.

Old
05-24-2013, 12:37 AM
Garyboy

Does anyone know what Gordie Howe said to Scott Harrington during the ceremonial face-off a few games back? Harrington had looked shocked in a humorous way after Howe talked to him. Thanks.

Old
05-24-2013, 08:15 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

McCarron

Multiple sources indicate Michael McCarron will be joining the Knights next year.
Before any haters start screaming foul that the Knights lured another guy or it is some shady dealings I will remind you of how he became a Knight:

Knights sent a guaranteed 5th round pick (2015) to the Belleville Bulls for his rights.
Also involved in the trade at Miss's 2nd rd ('15), 2nd rd '17 and 2nd rd '18 all conditional on him reporting.
Note that the trade was made in June of 2012 so each year he did not report a pick fell off.
So it appears that it will cost us in total the 5th, 2nd rd '17 and 2nd rd '18

Michael McCarron
DOB: 03/07/95. 6í5, 225 lbs. Shoots right. Defensive minded forward with great size to bang bodies and create space. Rangy with athleticism and a never-ending reach.

Hulking skater with serviceable mobility. Has yet to fully coordinate with his size and still remains a bit off-balance and must become more firm in his boots. Does not turn quickly and must tighten his pivots.

Good vision. Does an exceptional job of putting pucks deep and is forceful and daunting upon his retrieval and support. Lacks control and strength with the puck. Can work it with reach when moving it up ice but needs to improve his tight quarters handy-work. Must become stronger on his stick. Is a beast in front of the opposing teamís net.

Competes hard and can anticipate the flow of the game and the path of the puck. Great efforts without the puck with his long reach. Back-checks hard.

Michigan State committed. Drafted by the Belleville Bulls of the OHL in 2011. An extremely raw yet worthwhile prospect that projects to become a power forward in the professional ranks when he is drafted in 2013

Old
05-24-2013, 09:03 AM
DKQ
Generic User Title

Stoked to have him, but people shouldn't expect Tom Wilson. I'd be happy if he came in and formed a good physical line with Elie/Platzer/etc.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Knights77
Gongshow Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKQ View Post
Stoked to have him, but people shouldn't expect Tom Wilson. I'd be happy if he came in and formed a good physical line with Elie/Platzer/etc.
I very much agree. Look at the scouting report and his statistical production....no way he compares to a Tom Wilson. Same team comparison from a couple years back might be Jamie Devane which I would be happy about.
I would love to see him with Elie and Platzer....great call

Old
05-24-2013, 12:26 PM
aresknights

Elimination game #5 for the guys tonight.
Back to backs in this tourney havent worked out so well for the most part, with a few blowouts.
It would be nice to snipe a couple early on carruth. See if they can get in his head. Def should buzz the crease.
Gotta
Find a way defensively to slow Jones down. His ability to lug the puck outta his zone really helps
The Hawks out.
A d the #1. They got last change so everyone will have to be aware. I guess Bo's line will get a tone of D zone draws.
I liked how Bunter played Elie and Platz yesterday rotating em thru a couple lines. Even early they got ice.
C'mon Jake!!!!! Need a big one tonight.

Just need 2 more Ws. Tough task indeed.

Old
05-24-2013, 03:32 PM
GangGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knights77 View Post
I very much agree. Look at the scouting report and his statistical production....no way he compares to a Tom Wilson. Same team comparison from a couple years back might be Jamie Devane which I would be happy about.
I would love to see him with Elie and Platzer....great call
NTDP numbers can be a bit misleading. Usually don't see real big offensive numbers put up. I'm sure they're looking at equal playing time for everybody.
If McCarron does come to London, I could see him playing RW on a line with the Ruperts, filling an Austin Watson, big defensive forward kind of role. Or if Griffith graduates, he will be top 6 IMO with Tierney, Broadhurst, Horvat, Domi, and Anderson. A 3rd line of Platzer with the Ruperts, and maybe Welychka, Elie and Macdonald/Marner on the 4th.

Old
05-24-2013, 04:50 PM
aresknights

A litttle quiet around here lol

Cmon 8!

Old
05-24-2013, 09:00 PM
Snippit

I've been really happy with the way the Knights have played today. It's been an excellent game.

But... I have that sinking feeling. I don't think I'm wrong about this one. Knights are going home today... whether in the 3rd period or OT I'm not sure. Maybe it's the chances the Hawks got at the end of the 2nd that make me uneasy.

Regardless of what happens, it's been an amazing season. Again.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:22 PM
mapleleaf979

I am constantly puzzled that Dale Hunter shortens his bench so early and tinkers with his line combo's. I dunno why he changed that Tierney, Rupert twins line. For me that was the best line for the Knights in the first part of the game. Constantly making things happen, they were dangerous. Team looks tired. The 81, 51, 91... 4th line was not hurting them, but have been stuck to the bench since midway through the second. Give Remi Elie more ice time with his linemates.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:23 PM
GoKnightsGo

Why doesn't Sportnet have the game streaming tonight?

Old
05-24-2013, 09:53 PM
mapleleaf979

Heck of a year for London. I think tonight was the 94th game of the season for them. Close to that last year as well. Great hockey club.

Old
05-24-2013, 09:56 PM
Snippit

Tough ending. Amazing season. They deserved everything they won this year. For the second straight year, we were the best team in the OHL.

As for the game, I think it was as even as can be. I thought the Knights had a territorial and possession advantage, but as far as quality scoring chances go... it was very close. I'm happy with how we played, and this game really could have went either way.

The fans of the other teams will now start attacking the Knights. We're the most hated team in the league...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

We'll have another crack at this next year. But imagine 3 straight OHL cups. It's a real possibility.

Old
05-24-2013, 10:55 PM
Garyboy

Congratulations to the London Knight on a very romantic season. They danced the dance of 1000 dances and came up a little short against a fellow champion that shared their romantic nature.

Old
05-24-2013, 11:13 PM
poisonivy
05, 12, 13 Champs

You can't ask for anything more from this team. They played their ***** off these last two games but they just lost to another champion. It doesn't sting as much as last year because Portland and Halifax are the top 2 teams in the CHL and it shouldn't end any other way on Sunday. Congrats to London. One of the worst franchises with no titles to their name not too long ago and the Hunter brothers take over and as fans we at least have several championship banners to look at now. Probably more by this time next year. Now, these should be an exciting few months ahead as you can bet we'll be seeing some big name players coming via trade, USA, etc. Looking forward to it!

Old
05-25-2013, 06:54 AM
JL17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
I am constantly puzzled that Dale Hunter shortens his bench so early and tinkers with his line combo's. I dunno why he changed that Tierney, Rupert twins line. For me that was the best line for the Knights in the first part of the game. Constantly making things happen, they were dangerous. Team looks tired. The 81, 51, 91... 4th line was not hurting them, but have been stuck to the bench since midway through the second. Give Remi Elie more ice time with his linemates.
That 4th line did a fantastic early on in the playoffs and kept the other teams hemmed up in there own end.

I agree with the Ruperts and Tierney line.

It was great season for London. This may have been one of the most inconsistent teams from period to period that I've since in my years as a season ticket holder. It was pretty evident the difference between Mark and Dale behind the bench and who has a better system.

It was a treat a seeing Harrington develop from day 1 till now. I think Letang will be impressed with his new partner next year

Also seeing Hughes develop and getting a chance as well has been a lot fun.

Old
05-25-2013, 09:15 AM
hockeylegend11

Congrats to London fans and the Knights for a fine season,cant deny next yr should

be a good as well

Written below this post is my analysis/opinion of the year London had and an early

prognosis going forward

Old
05-25-2013, 09:21 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLFan8771 View Post
Last thread close to 1,000 posts.
Alas, might as well switch it to the Off-season thread too...

Old
05-25-2013, 09:49 AM
krazy kanuck

I expected last night's game to be quite a bit different given the offensive skill of each team. I thought the Knights were going to win when they scored the first goal but they really have to address their goaltending in the off season. That game tying goal just had to be stopped in a Memorial Cup elimination game. I was also surprised that Hunter shortened his bench so quickly. Officiating was terrible (I suppose Don Cherry would say they "let em play") and I thought the Knights were robbed of a couple of scoring opportunities late without a call. I'm not sure if they showed it on TV or not but after all the handshakes the Knights did a little skate and they got quite the ovation. Folks appreciated the effort they put in on the second of a back-to-back.

I fully expect Halifax to put the screws to Portland on Sunday. Can't have those cheaters winning... If Colorado is still planning on taking Jones over Nate the Great, they need their heads examined...

Old
05-25-2013, 09:52 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
they really have to address their goaltending in the off season. That game tying goal just had to be stopped in a Memorial Cup elimination game.
I don't know a goalie alive who could have stopped that shot. Through 4 sets of legs and off a skate...pretty tough to hang that one on the goaltender. The 2-1 goal...he played wrong...way too deep in his net..and on his knees before Rattie shot. Hell of a shot by Rattie..but I'm a firm believer if Patty is out top of the blue..that one doesn't go in.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:01 AM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyerPhanatic View Post
I don't know a goalie alive who could have stopped that shot. Through 4 sets of legs and off a skate...pretty tough to hang that one on the goaltender. The 2-1 goal...he played wrong...way too deep in his net..and on his knees before Rattie shot. Hell of a shot by Rattie..but I'm a firm believer if Patty is out top of the blue..that one doesn't go in.
That's not how it looked live...it looked like a shot from the top of the circle with a clear line of sight that just about any goaltender should stop. Regardless, I'll take your word for it. Still, my opinion hasn't changed - the Knights have to address their goaltending. Even considering that Carruth appears to be a few rolls short of a dozen, London's was clearly the worst in this tournament.

EDIT: You're absolutely correct, I checked the highlights and it's the game winning goal I'm thinking about. I had them mixed up - apologies.

Last edited by krazy kanuck: 05-25-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 10:13 AM
hockeylegend11

I guess when analyzing a years performance hindsight sometimes overlooks accomplishment
and in this case it could argued that Mark Hunter had not virtually stood pat at the trade
deadline,this team might well still be playing
I mentioned earlier on another post that it was wrong to go with 2 rookie tenders,with zero,
playoff experience,cutting loose a vet goalie,an O/A which they had room for,could have easily gone with 3 goalies aka Owen Sd,or go out and get a more talented guy with
experience spend some assets,when u have chance to win spend some not neccessarily
alot
Many London fans think Hunter did right by doing nothing,wonder if they feel the same
after falling short yet again,their inability to score 5 on 5 the last 2 tournament deciding games for Knights,last year vs Shaw and last nite vs portland 1 goal to be exact is appalling and perplexing to say the least
This, year inexperienced goaltending and an unnecccessary trap system with the skill
this team has was its ultimate downfall,admittedly the goal tending last nite was not
the reason for the loss,Patterson played well,very well in fact,however Hunter playing
Russian roulette with his goalies thru the end of the playoffs and the mem cup tourney did not help,getting blitzed by Halifax may have affected the pysche of Knights guess we will never know
Mark Hunter in hindsight used his O/A card situation poorly this year,he had room for 1 more,did not use it cut a goalie instead,last yr wasted it on Joey Hishon,poor asset management in my view
The Knights road record last 6 games at the mem cup is 2-4 and aside from outscoring
Saskatoon 9-3 in 2 wins,the other 4 games including last yr final vs Shaw they have been outscored 19-7
I am sure some London fans will see this post as trolling,but the facts speak for themselves,2 trips to mem cup and 2 trips coming home empty

As for going forward it is no secret the Knights have the best projected roster next yr
in the O,although things could get interesting should Bo Horvat not return next yr,I do
think he is NhL ready and would not be surprised he sticks,i did not think that at the start of the year,figured he might at age 19,as well I feel Seth Griffith will turn pro with Boston
making 2 out of 3 of Londons most talented goal scorers gone,big holes to fill indeed
Forwards such as Elie and Platzer deserve bigger roles,Anderson needs to regain a scoring
touch that he did not show in the playoffs or at the tourney,I for one like the Ruperts,
Tierney,Broadhurst,and Welychta and feel all of them can contribute more offensively
You toss in Domi of course who should the lead the team in scoring again,Mccarron the big forward,Macdonald,Marner maybe,Pawley,but the Knights might have go after a Monahan/Gaunce forward to make up for the loss of Horovat should he stick
An upgrade on defence is in order after Maata and Zadorov,its get thin with Mermis and
Liberati not exactly 3-4 Dguys at this time,losing Harrington,Hughes,and Ferry is huge
and wont be easy to replace
While the Knights have decent prospects in the system help from outside will be needed
to upgrade the D
My hope is that all OHL GMs will strive to get what they want in a trade,not what Hunter want s to give,extract the highest possible price,time for Hunter to pay up
Goaltending could really be interesting next yr cant see both 19 year olds here,I has to go,who do u keep Stolarz who could not get the job done in the finals or the Mem Cup,or
Patterson who did get thru the OhL finals and redeemed himself in the Mem Cup after
a disastrous start and gave his team a chance to win
Trading 1 of them and getting a decent defenceman in return will help,I will let u
guys discuss amongst yourselves re this one
As for coaching with the talent on this team,no need to trap Hunter needs to change his
philosphy if he wants ultimate success
As for Mark Hunter the Gm,needs to better manage O/A assets, and this year coming may
have pay the price to get help for the blueline,figure out the goaltending,losing 3 straight
times in the Mem cup would be unacceptable,my guess because they are hosting it will
probably change,they have proven they cant win the biggie on the road,and their only mem cup championship has come at home

Old
05-25-2013, 10:29 AM
aresknights

Great effort last night battling to the end. I really enjoyed this season and the many accomplishments the earned. The streak and back to back titles arent events that play out very often

They left it all on the ice. And have nothing to feel bad about. It was a close game and they just couldnt get that late heroic goal weve seen so often this year.

Jake was solid, Carruth better.

Nice gesture gathering and saluting the crowd in Sask and fans at home following the game.

Didnt get win the last game of the year but I still fell great about the season they had.

Old
05-25-2013, 10:31 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kanuck View Post
That's not how it looked live...it looked like a shot from the top of the circle with a clear line of sight that just about any goaltender should stop. Regardless, I'll take your word for it. Still, my opinion hasn't changed - the Knights have to address their goaltending. Even considering that Carruth appears to be a few rolls short of a dozen, London's was clearly the worst in this tournament.

EDIT: You're absolutely correct, I checked the highlights and it's the game winning goal I'm thinking about. I had them mixed up - apologies.
You do know the Knights tragically lost arguably the best 16yr old goaltender in the world when Ian Jenkins passed...right? They also were dealt another blow this season when the best 16yr old in Ontario went down with reconstructive surgery after surgery. London was dealt 2 major blows in net in 2 successive years. I think they've done pretty well with the hand they've been dealt so far.

If not for the Jenkins tragedy...we'd be talking back to back for the Memorial Cup next year. He was that good. Of course you still have to play the games...but Ian Jenkins was THAT goaltender.

London will address that need...this year there just wasn't anyone available without giving up everything they've worked too hard to get.

I'm certain you have some good points HL..but your elongated posts are just too hard to read..so I bypassed it.

Last edited by PhlyerPhanatic: 05-25-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old
05-25-2013, 10:32 AM
aresknights

Thats a detailed post HL. Figured you were waiting to try and pick every little detail ot the knights season apart. Sometimes the other team is just better in a single game

Dont really agree with much of it thou

Last edited by aresknights: 05-25-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Closed Thread