Notices

Tanguay packing it in?

Old
04-11-2013, 03:16 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
That breakaway last night is the prime example of a Tanguay turnover.

Dude is absolutely lazy.
Again not defending last night, he played like ****. But he was great until the deadline lead the team in points and was a serviceable centerman. Since Iggy has left there is a noticeable drop in his play which isn't surprising as the team threw in the towel and he is just finishing the season. Jumbo Joe and Tavares have more give aways than Tanguay it simply comes with the territory of being a top pass first players their mistakes lead to turn overs. Seriously up until about a week before the deadline people were calling Tanguay our best player this is a huge overreaction.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Beats By CoRD
Tommy Fresh

Quote:

Dude is absolutely lazy.
I've never liked Tanguay at the point. Sure he can dish the puck but you need a shooter back there too.

Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:24 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 395
Unless Tanguay wants out, I don't see a point in moving him. He's been in the league for a long time and he's won a cup. His experience would be invaluable for a rebuilding team. Plus, he's still capable of being matched up against the opposing teams best players, which means the young guys have a chance to be insulated when they first enter the league. Instead of being thrown to the wolves, they can be eased in.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:42 PM
bigchief12

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculon View Post
Unless Tanguay wants out, I don't see a point in moving him. He's been in the league for a long time and he's won a cup. His experience would be invaluable for a rebuilding team. Plus, he's still capable of being matched up against the opposing teams best players, which means the young guys have a chance to be insulated when they first enter the league. Instead of being thrown to the wolves, they can be eased in.
Again, it would be all about the return we could get. Don't give him away for nothing but definitely not to be protected as an important part of the core either. He would be as much a poor example of consistent competitiveness to the young guys as he would a benefit to them by insulation. His r-value is not that high imo.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:48 PM
TylerSVT*

Quote:

Dude is absolutely lazy.
Exactly, its like "meh, were going to lose anyways" Its that mentality that has followed the flames the last few years, complacent and no drive.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:49 PM
Anglesmith
Global Moderator
Crooked commish

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbotsford Heat View Post
hardly anyone is jumping on him. But Tanguay has alot of games where he looks disinterested and that is a problem. No one expects a goal a game or hell even a point a game out of him, but we want to see a consistent effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMES666 View Post
Scoring doesn't mean he is necessarily playing good. He is basically unnoticeable when he isn't scoring. He has been pretty average since the big trades.
Hasn't this always been his style? I don't remember Tanguay ever being a player who flies around the ice. He's kind of like Kovalev in that regard. He prefers to play the game at his own pace.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I've been able to tell, he has played this style from the beginning of the season, and really for his entire tenure here. He does have another gear, but I think it's extremely rare that he hits it. He's the kind of player who saves his energy, infuriates coaches and fans, and produces points.

Anglesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
He has 33 turnovers that isn't even a turn over a game. Wideman is only 1 behind him and no one is crying foul with him. Turnovers happen to pass first players.
Or you can look it this way, he leads the team in giveaways. Absolutely unacceptable for a veteran player.

Please understand, a giveaway is when a players OWN actions resulting in losing the puck, excluding dumps, and clears. This is what makes it absolutely unacceptable, a lot of turnovers aren't even counted by the giveaway statistic. Like when he passes to a player who is in no position to play the puck, tries to force a pass through the slot, or just can't hold the puck along the boards for the life of him. He has been a puck losing machine this season and I'm not sure if I want to see him on the Flames next season.

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:39 PM
berto14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
Or you can look it this way, he leads the team in giveaways. Absolutely unacceptable for a veteran player.

Please understand, a giveaway is when a players OWN actions resulting in losing the puck, excluding dumps, and clears. This is what makes it absolutely unacceptable, a lot of turnovers aren't even counted by the giveaway statistic. Like when he passes to a player who is in no position to play the puck, tries to force a pass through the slot, or just can't hold the puck along the boards for the life of him. He has been a puck losing machine this season and I'm not sure if I want to see him on the Flames next season.
The simple fact that he leads the team in giveaways isn't a problem. After all, someone has to lead the team, that doesn't necessarily mean that he turns the puck over an unacceptable amount. Toronto, for example, has THREE players (Phaneuf, Bozak and Kessel) who give the puck away more than Tanguay -- if Tanguay were traded to the Leafs would that all of a sudden make his 33 giveaways more acceptable?

Secondly, as others have already mentioned, this tends to happen with offensive-minded players. It's no coincidence that guys like Byfuglien, Kovalchuk, Thornton, Tavares and Subban have a high number of giveaways too. Hell, Letang has 32 giveaways in just 28 games this year. Last year the top-10 included Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Thornton, Subban, Karlsson, Spezza, Kessel and Phaneuf. I guess all these guys should be traded too?

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Ice Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I have never liked the person, but at times have enjoyed the player.
To me he is the epitome of what is/has been wrong with this team for the last five years. He is incredibly inconsistent in his efforts, and quite honestly gives off the impression that he is content with where he is at in his career, and where the Flames stand today.

He would have been the first player I would have moved out assuming there is any type of market for him.
Glad I read this before I posted. Didn't want to get too bashy being a new poster if no one else had gone there first.

But I agree 100%. I have never liked his 'incomplete game' and have always considered him a good supplemental player capable of decent offensive numbers, but mentally and physically soft.

Someone should also explain to the guy that not every pass has to be a Rembrandt. Tanguay makes some great passes but he attempts way too many low % passes in the process when he should either be shooting or making the simple play imo.

I would love to see him traded too, but like you I am not sure suitors would be lining up.

Ice Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:58 PM
Calculon
unholy acting talent

vCash: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigchief12 View Post
Again, it would be all about the return we could get. Don't give him away for nothing but definitely not to be protected as an important part of the core either. He would be as much a poor example of consistent competitiveness to the young guys as he would a benefit to them by insulation. His r-value is not that high imo.
The years on his contract will make him hard to move, especially since the Flames won't retain salary.

Teams have made it abundantly clear that with the cap going down next season, they're holding off on adding salary.

Calculon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:33 PM
Skobel24
#Ignited

Lines have been juggled so much this year, and the one guy he's been known to be good with is now gone. The entire team has been bad lately, yet everyone jumps on Tanguay. He may not be playing well, but he isn't the only issue.

Skobel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Beats By CoRD
Tommy Fresh

Heard on the FAN960 that Hartley called him out after last nights game. Tanguay said he wants to be part of the solution not the problem. We will see how he reacts next game. From what we've seen this year when Hartley calls someone out, they usually respond positively.

Beats By CoRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:17 PM
Ace Rimmer
What a guy!

vCash: 160
Well looks like he's packed it in now...

Ace Rimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:51 PM
Volica
Southern AB Dandy

vCash: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Well looks like he's packed it in now...
Right. Don't think even if he's good to go later this season he'll get back. Think that this injury is the end of the season for Mr. Tanguay.

Volica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:52 PM
TheHudlinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miokid View Post
Right. Don't think even if he's good to go later this season he'll get back. Think that this injury is the end of the season for Mr. Tanguay.
Honestly I would prefer this we know what we have in Tangs, lets give a kid a shot and see what he can do. The worse that happens is he sucks but we already do so what.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote