HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Byfuglien and the Trade Market

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-09-2013, 11:11 AM
  #1
ICdave
HFB Partner
 
ICdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,974
vCash: 500
Dustin Byfuglien and the Trade Market

Dustin Byfuglien is probably the most polarizing member of the Winnipeg Jets. Talk to three people any day of the week and you are likely to receive three different opinions on what the Jets should do with Dustin Byfuglien.



Byfuglien is a talented player—no one really debates that. He can shoot, he can pass and he can play a versatile game. Few players in the NHL are able to play both forward and defense and have a significant impact on the game while employed at both positions.

Dustin Byfuglien played first line right wing on the 2010 Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks. He then played defense on the Atlanta Thrashers well enough to earn an All Star nomination.

The issues with Byfuglien are well known. He is lazy defensively, generally cannot keep his weight under control and is difficult to coach.

With Jacob Trouba on the horizon, the Jets organization has options on its hands; with options comes decisions.

To read Richard's analysis click here.

As always guys, comments welcome.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:25 AM
  #2
viper0220
Go Jets Go
 
viper0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICdave View Post
Dustin Byfuglien is probably the most polarizing member of the Winnipeg Jets. Talk to three people any day of the week and you are likely to receive three different opinions on what the Jets should do with Dustin Byfuglien.



Byfuglien is a talented player—no one really debates that. He can shoot, he can pass and he can play a versatile game. Few players in the NHL are able to play both forward and defense and have a significant impact on the game while employed at both positions.

Dustin Byfuglien played first line right wing on the 2010 Stanley Cup champion Blackhawks. He then played defense on the Atlanta Thrashers well enough to earn an All Star nomination.

The issues with Byfuglien are well known. He is lazy defensively, generally cannot keep his weight under control and is difficult to coach.

With Jacob Trouba on the horizon, the Jets organization has options on its hands; with options comes decisions.

To read Richard's analysis click here.

As always guys, comments welcome.


If you are trading buff, then you must make the team that acquires him overpays. Philly had a lot of interest in him and the propsal I have seen that I like is where the Jets get both of the Schenns and Philly gets buff. It solves a couple of problems for the Jets, we get a top 6 forward to play with Kane and a top 5 d- man and depth up front. And in the draft this year you draft a defensemen(with Scheifele in system, another d would be good to draft this year)

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:26 AM
  #3
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper0220 View Post
If you are trading buff, then you must make the team that acquires him overpays. Philly had a lot of interest in him and the propsal I have seen that I like is where the Jets get both of the Schenns and Philly gets buff. It solves a couple of problems for the Jets, we get a top 6 forward to play with Kane and a top 5 d- man and depth up front. And in the draft this year you draft a defensemen(with Scheifele in system, another d would be good to draft this year)
does l uke play left side? if so....i'm pretty into that.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 11:36 AM
  #4
viper0220
Go Jets Go
 
viper0220's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
does l uke play left side? if so....i'm pretty into that.

I don't know that(hopefully someone fills us in on that). If we trade buff we need a right wing, a top 3 right wing, hopefully that right wing is a nutural right wing.

viper0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:04 PM
  #5
PerryPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
In my opinion if the organization has any plans to part ways with Buff, they should do it sooner than later. I mean, the rest of the league is surely as well aware as we are of his shortcomings, but it would still be to the team's advantage to deal him before the Jets are in position of desperation.

PerryPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:26 PM
  #6
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,159
vCash: 500
He played on the first line? Since when?

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:32 PM
  #7
AtlantaWhaler
Moderator
Thrash/Preds/Sabres
 
AtlantaWhaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 11,600
vCash: 500
While interest in him will be high, I wonder how hard it'll be to get a great return with a $5.2 cap hit when the cap is going down by $6 mil. I can't imagine the Jets would eat any of the salary.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:46 PM
  #8
sully1410
Registered User
 
sully1410's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Turner Valley, Alta.
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,159
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
While interest in him will be high, I wonder how hard it'll be to get a great return with a $5.2 cap hit when the cap is going down by $6 mil. I can't imagine the Jets would eat any of the salary.
No they wouldn't and they wont have to. That cap hit is very friendly for a player of his caliber.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:50 PM
  #9
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,937
vCash: 500
So are we to interpret that, with this article, the Jets are seriously considering trading Buff?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:51 PM
  #10
winterpeg
Sharp Dressed Man
 
winterpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
While interest in him will be high, I wonder how hard it'll be to get a great return with a $5.2 cap hit when the cap is going down by $6 mil. I can't imagine the Jets would eat any of the salary.
Maybe for Stamkos...

winterpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:56 PM
  #11
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So are we to interpret that, with this article, the Jets are seriously considering trading Buff?
Since there have been no reports what soever that the Jets are looking to trade him, I'd say no

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:59 PM
  #12
AriIQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
I'd love to trade Big Buff for Wayne Simmonds, Our team becomes much more balanced with that one move. A centre could also be interesting, as we could move Little to 2nd line RW.

AriIQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:59 PM
  #13
PerryPooley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
Since there have been no reports what soever that the Jets are looking to trade him, I'd say no
I would hope no steam on this issue (if it is one) becomes public. If the team is to get max return for him, they can't afford to be seen as desperate to dump him.

PerryPooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:05 PM
  #14
allan5oh
#Dive4Five #31Buyout
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 6,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So are we to interpret that, with this article, the Jets are seriously considering trading Buff?
It's strictly my opinion, but I think they are. I think he would've been traded already if Redmond wasn't injured. It's our only position of strength. It makes a lot of sense.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:07 PM
  #15
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,443
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So are we to interpret that, with this article, the Jets are seriously considering trading Buff?
It's probably more for entertainment value than outright speculation that Buff is on the block (after the season). I don't know if IC has the connections inside to know what is going on.

I like the fact that at least they put out Voracek and Simmonds names. As in, we don't need to be happy with lesser players and prospects. I do wonder why after looking at the analysis and seeing that Buff is very similar to Burns that the Buff return is so much less.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:27 PM
  #16
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar
 
Grind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 4,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
It's probably more for entertainment value than outright speculation that Buff is on the block (after the season). I don't know if IC has the connections inside to know what is going on.

I like the fact that at least they put out Voracek and Simmonds names. As in, we don't need to be happy with lesser players and prospects. I do wonder why after looking at the analysis and seeing that Buff is very similar to Burns that the Buff return is so much less.
I coudl only guess its a different valuation of the players minnie got for burns (maybe undervaluing Seto as a 35 -40 pt player?) I don't know why otherwise, or putting an unfair negative on buff for defense etc.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 01:31 PM
  #17
Huffer
Registered User
 
Huffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,443
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
I coudl only guess its a different valuation of the players minnie got for burns (maybe undervaluing Seto as a 35 -40 pt player?) I don't know why otherwise, or putting an unfair negative on buff for defense etc.
Probably right Grind. Still seems like a pretty big delta to drop off the pick swap and the top prospect though. Especially when Buff has a contract and Burns did not.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:00 PM
  #18
GrandChelems
Registered User
 
GrandChelems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,762
vCash: 500
"He can shoot, he can pass and he can play a versatile game. Few players in the NHL are able to play both forward and defense and have a significant impact on the game while employed at both positions."

Exactly.

GrandChelems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:24 PM
  #19
BrokerD
Registered User
 
BrokerD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
So are we to interpret that, with this article, the Jets are seriously considering trading Buff?
I have to admit I am getting tired of Buff's lack luster play.... I would not mind letting him underachieve for another team if it meant getting a player that would truly help in putting the puck in the net. He is a 'special player' which should garner some interest and hopefully improve our team in the long run.

BrokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
  #20
Whileee
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 8,957
vCash: 500
I would be very reluctant to trade Buff. He is one of the few players on the Jets that I think can go to the next level needed to take a long run in the playoffs. Does he sometimes seem distracted and disinterested during the season? Maybe, but I've mostly seen that lately this year after Noel started coaching him like a PeeWee. Otherwise, I think his shortcoming is only really in conditioning. The Jets should determine whether they can work with Buff on that.

Whileee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:19 PM
  #21
BrokerD
Registered User
 
BrokerD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 114
vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whileee View Post
I think his shortcoming is only really in conditioning. The Jets should determine whether they can work with Buff on that.
IMO his conditioning is the reason he is injury prone. If you watch Buff closely, he spends a lot of time standing in one spot--pivoting, not skating (which is why he can log the big minutes).

His conditioning is why I get so frustrated with him--like everyone else I can only imagine how good he would be if he took his conditioning seriously. Unfortunately, you can only do so much for a player.... and Buff is Buff

BrokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:21 PM
  #22
EpicGingy
Registered User
 
EpicGingy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
If a trade got a fair value, or overpayment by the other team, I'd be all for it.

It's clear we don't have the right pieces together, and a little shake up on defence, while acquiring a forward, would be a step in the right direction if the players we got were right.

EpicGingy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
  #23
Resurrection
Registered User
 
Resurrection's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,774
vCash: 500
I think buff would be great trade bait. I love him but he's fat, unmotivated a lot, and sets a bad example. He would get us a kings ransom in return and in all honesty we would probably improve just by removing him, nevermind what we get back.

Resurrection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 03:58 PM
  #24
Channelcat
Registered User
 
Channelcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I think buff would be great trade bait. I love him but he's fat, unmotivated a lot, and sets a bad example. He would get us a kings ransom in return and in all honesty we would probably improve just by removing him, nevermind what we get back.
Thats the part that concerns me most. While Buff is one of my favorite players, I think all teams need a "whole team" commitment to fitness in order to compete.

Channelcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 05:56 PM
  #25
knorthern knight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,873
vCash: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
I think buff would be great trade bait. I love him but he's fat, unmotivated a lot, and sets a bad example. He would get us a kings ransom in return and in all honesty we would probably improve just by removing him, nevermind what we get back.
I don't think other teams' GMs are that blind. Today's Buff just isn't that great. When he wants to, he can be a game-changer, but he doesn't seem to want hard enough, often enough. At one point this season, Clitsome was covering up for Buff's miscues, fercryinoutloud. Last season, I was very unhappy with Buff. Earlier this season, he gave me hope that he might have changed, but now he seems back to the error-prone Buff again. If I was Chevy, I'd be tempted to re-sign Clitsome for $1.75 million, and trade Buff. The big problems with that are Buff's cap hit and his modified no-trade clause.

knorthern knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.