HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

MTL-TOR 1st Round matchup

View Poll Results: Who would win between habs and leafs ?
Habs in 4 19 4.36%
Habs in 5 54 12.39%
Habs in 6 115 26.38%
Habs in 7 39 8.94%
Leafs in 4 16 3.67%
Leafs in 5 18 4.13%
Leafs in 6 108 24.77%
Leafs in 7 67 15.37%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2013, 12:15 AM
  #1
bdawg1989*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
MTL-TOR 1st Round matchup

If the Habs and Leafs faced each other in the First round of the upcoming playoffs, who would come on top ?

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:14 AM
  #2
kihei
Registered User
 
kihei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,249
vCash: 0
My head says Habs in 6.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:31 AM
  #3
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
You gotta think the Habs would be favourites. My pick would be Habs in 6.

Reasoning: Firstly: Playoff Experience with vets that can shutdown top opposition. I think this team is in for a deep run now with Pleks being able to shut down a line and not have to be relied on to score as much now that we have depth and secondary scoring. Secondly: Carey Price. Thirdly: Im a Habs fan.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:10 AM
  #4
JacobimMugatu
HF Strength Thread
 
JacobimMugatu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: f=253
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,202
vCash: 500
I'd guess the Habs would win in 6-7 and get pretty banged up along the way

JacobimMugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:13 AM
  #5
phillipmike
Registered User
 
phillipmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
You gotta think the Habs would be favourites. My pick would be Habs in 6.

Reasoning: Firstly: Playoff Experience with vets that can shutdown top opposition. I think this team is in for a deep run now with Pleks being able to shut down a line and not have to be relied on to score as much now that we have depth and secondary scoring. Secondly: Carey Price. Thirdly: Im a Habs fan.
Why, Leafs are better head to head... The Habs have more points but the Leafs have the better head to head record and in the playoffs head to head is what gets you to the next round.

That being said no one should be favoured really. Two lottery pick teams in the playoffs. Anything can happen but i would LOVE to play Montreal in the first round.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:16 AM
  #6
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.
 
A1LeafNation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,764
vCash: 566
Leafs forwards > Habs forwards
Leafs defence > Habs defence
Leafs goaltending < Habs goaltending

Star goalies like Lundqvist, Miller, Luongo, never seem to seal the deal. Leafs have made Price looked like a Junior A goalie over his career.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:21 AM
  #7
Kyle93
Registered User
 
Kyle93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,880
vCash: 500
I think it would go to 6 or 7 games. If the Leafs beat the Habs this weekend you gotta think they might pull an upset but if not I would have to say favourites would be the habs.

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:22 AM
  #8
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,924
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
Why, Leafs are better head to head... The Habs have more points but the Leafs have the better head to head record and in the playoffs head to head is what gets you to the next round.

That being said no one should be favoured really. Two lottery pick teams in the playoffs. Anything can happen but i would LOVE to play Montreal in the first round.
The Habs would certainly be favourites. You have the HTH up 2-1 now, with 2 games left to play. Once the playoffs start, its a whole new ball game. We'd almost certainly have home ice too, which in the playoffs is big (yes im aware you won both games in MTL)

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:39 AM
  #9
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists
 
Bob Loblawbrovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,691
vCash: 500
As a Leafs fan, I could see either team winning it in 5-6. The smart money is probably on MTL though.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 02:55 AM
  #10
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Leafs forwards > Habs forwards
Leafs defence > Habs defence
Leafs goaltending < Habs goaltending

Star goalies like Lundqvist, Miller, Luongo, never seem to seal the deal. Leafs have made Price looked like a Junior A goalie over his career.
I don't know about that, all those guys have had playoff success over there careers, Price is very good aswell and is certainly capable of the same. Playoffs come down to goaltending really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
Why, Leafs are better head to head... The Habs have more points but the Leafs have the better head to head record and in the playoffs head to head is what gets you to the next round.

That being said no one should be favoured really. Two lottery pick teams in the playoffs. Anything can happen but i would LOVE to play Montreal in the first round.
Actually, goaltending is what gets you to the next round.

Head to head records really mean nothing in the playoffs, if anything that is what you throw away first and foremost when judging a playoff series.

I think MTL has some significant edges over Toronto in Goaltending first and foremost (though I admit Riemer has surprised me with solid play) and the experience factor is something that can't be over looked. The core of this MTL team knows how to ratchet up there game come the playoff time, we aren't sure about the Leafs yet.

Although that being said if there is any team that matches up well against the Canadiens (in terms of teams below them in the standings) it would most certainly be Toronto.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:04 AM
  #11
Sergei Shirokov
Registered User
 
Sergei Shirokov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,022
vCash: 500
Forwards wise I think it is pretty even, the Leafs have more top end offensive talent IMO, but I think the Canadiens have more scoring depth. And I think in the playoffs depth sometimes can almost mean as much as top end talent. So I would say:

MTL Forwards = TOR Forwards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On defense I think it is the same but in the opposite direction, MTL has more top end talent, I would say Subban, Markov and Gorges are better than the Toronto top 3. But I think the Leafs have more depth on the backend since Emelin is out. Although they have had some issues with inconsistency from time to time. I would say.

MTL Defense = TOR defense


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goaltending, this is pretty easy edge to Price. Riemer has been good but Price is Price. He is capable of stealing a series and is a top 3 netminder in the league IMO, Riemer has impressed me but I don't think he has the same series stealing capabilities of Price.

MTL Goaltending >> TOR Goaltending

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then intangibles/Experience, to me this is where MTL has the real advantage aside from goaltending, this core has had experience in the past and ultimately I think this is where the series will really be decided.

MTL > TOR in intangibles/Experience.


My Prediction: MTL in 6 or 7. (Voted MTL in 6)

I think it will be a very entertaining series and the games will be very close and hard fought. Toronto has as good a shot at knocking off the Canadiens as anyone in that 5-8 range in the East, so it should be a great series, hopefully it happens. I could see the Leafs surprising MTL and taking them to the wire, possibly even winning, but I think MTL is the safe bet and I do believe they will prevail.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 03:14 AM
  #12
firstemperor
Registered User
 
firstemperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,468
vCash: 500
Gonna actually go out on a limb and say Leafs in 5 if we do face them.

I think the leafs have the clear advantage if Reimer plays steady. The habs have a pretty good team, but (trying my best to be objective) I think their pretty overrated. Subban for example, by most metrics, is extremely sheltered, as opposed to Phaneuf. (Not trying to opening this can of worms again but for the sake of an example)

It's just a matchup issue. When the Habs don't have a skating advantage against teams (like NYI, Toronto, and at times- Ottawa), they get exposed. I follow them pretty closely.

Boston would be the tougher series for Toronto (because historically Kessel has been terrible against Chara). We would really need an elevation in our secondary scoring. Although, I think we match up with them better this year.


Last edited by firstemperor: 04-11-2013 at 03:19 AM.
firstemperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 04:24 AM
  #13
tml145
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
a five game series eather way wouldn't surprise

i realy think momentum will play a big role in a Leafs Habs series

i don't think home ice will mean much because both arenas will have many visiting fans


Last edited by tml145: 04-11-2013 at 04:30 AM.
tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 05:08 AM
  #14
Kyle93
Registered User
 
Kyle93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,880
vCash: 500
I will say that if we do have a mon-tor matchup and Montreal ends up winning they are most likely going to come out of it beat up.

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:08 AM
  #15
clydesdale line
Registered User
 
clydesdale line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
The Habs would certainly be favourites. You have the HTH up 2-1 now, with 2 games left to play. Once the playoffs start, its a whole new ball game. We'd almost certainly have home ice too, which in the playoffs is big (yes im aware you won both games in MTL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Actually, goaltending is what gets you to the next round.

Head to head records really mean nothing in the playoffs, if anything that is what you throw away first and foremost when judging a playoff series.

I think MTL has some significant edges over Toronto in Goaltending first and foremost (though I admit Riemer has surprised me with solid play) and the experience factor is something that can't be over looked. The core of this MTL team knows how to ratchet up there game come the playoff time, we aren't sure about the Leafs yet.

Although that being said if there is any team that matches up well against the Canadiens (in terms of teams below them in the standings) it would most certainly be Toronto.
Yea I would listen to these two guys who at least, have seen their respective teams play in a playoff series post lockout. (knows how these things go, etc. But congrats to the Leafs fans when they do clinch a spot. Always like seeing an original 6 in the show. Long time comming)

Oh, and to answer the question, gut says Habs in 5. Too much experience.

clydesdale line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:21 AM
  #16
seanlinden
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Forwards wise I think it is pretty even, the Leafs have more top end offensive talent IMO, but I think the Canadiens have more scoring depth. And I think in the playoffs depth sometimes can almost mean as much as top end talent. So I would say:

MTL Forwards = TOR Forwards

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On defense I think it is the same but in the opposite direction, MTL has more top end talent, I would say Subban, Markov and Gorges are better than the Toronto top 3. But I think the Leafs have more depth on the backend since Emelin is out. Although they have had some issues with inconsistency from time to time. I would say.

MTL Defense = TOR defense


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Goaltending, this is pretty easy edge to Price. Riemer has been good but Price is Price. He is capable of stealing a series and is a top 3 netminder in the league IMO, Riemer has impressed me but I don't think he has the same series stealing capabilities of Price.

MTL Goaltending >> TOR Goaltending

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Then intangibles/Experience, to me this is where MTL has the real advantage aside from goaltending, this core has had experience in the past and ultimately I think this is where the series will really be decided.

MTL > TOR in intangibles/Experience.


My Prediction: MTL in 6 or 7. (Voted MTL in 6)

I think it will be a very entertaining series and the games will be very close and hard fought. Toronto has as good a shot at knocking off the Canadiens as anyone in that 5-8 range in the East, so it should be a great series, hopefully it happens. I could see the Leafs surprising MTL and taking them to the wire, possibly even winning, but I think MTL is the safe bet and I do believe they will prevail.
If Toronto's forwards are healthy, (specifically Lupul), and are on their game, Montreal's forwards don't even compare. These two teams are 4-5 in scoring respectively, but Toronto has Kessel who's underachieved all year (but has 9 goals in 15 career playoff games), Lupul who has only played 10 games, and an incredible amount of depth behind them in the form of Van Riemsdyk, Kadri, MacArthur, and Kulemin/Frattin/Grabovski who've all underachieved this year as well. When healthy, the Leafs have the talent to run 3 lines that are probably capable of 1st line production (it'll obviously never happen as somebody takes a shutdown role, but they have guys capable of stepping up).

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:54 AM
  #17
Salzig
I am laudable.
 
Salzig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bonn, Germany
Country: Germany
Posts: 1,002
vCash: 500
Habs in 5. I really don't see the Leafs in the 2nd round of the playoffs, regardless of the opponent they will face. I won't be mad if they prove me wrong, but I just don't think they've got what it takes to beat any of the teams ahead of them four times in a series.

Salzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 06:59 AM
  #18
KingBogo
Admitted Homer
 
KingBogo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 1235
Habs in 5. The Leafs win one at home to extend the series, but the Habs thump them in game 5.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:02 AM
  #19
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,374
vCash: 500
Leafs in 6. I'm a Leaf fan and I just have a gut feeling this team has an "it" factor. They are about to make the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade, I think they are going to surprise a lot of people.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:04 AM
  #20
Spitsfan67*
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Leafs forwards > Habs forwards
Leafs defence > Habs defence
Leafs goaltending < Habs goaltending

Star goalies like Lundqvist, Miller, Luongo, never seem to seal the deal. Leafs have made Price looked like a Junior A goalie over his career.
Time to put a end to your fairy tale


Leafs Goals for:123(5th Best)
Habs Goals for:122(1 Less Game)(6th Best)


Well the leafs may have the most high named forward in Kessel Montreal 100% has the better forward depth, Leafs scoring has evolved completly aroung Kadri and Kessel this season and the habs have had to have a more complete team effort to pull out 2 points.so its either even or it possible could be Montreal>Toronto by a slight edge.

Leafs Goals against:112(20th Best)
Habs Goals Against:94(4th Best)


Habs have the better defence period, i mean saying Toronto has the better D is such a Homer thing to say.Montreal>>Toronto


Habs Goalie:
Price:32GP,19Wins,2.28 GAA,.915 SV%,3 Shutouts
Leafs Goalie:
Riemer:26GP,15Wins,2.52 GAA,.919 SV%,2 Shutouts


So its Price>>>Riemer and add the Playoff expierence and you can add another > heading into the playoffs.


The only thing i Bieleve the leafs have the edge in is Toughness, Burke Wanted this team to be Made tough and it is, and it should would help the leafs take a game or two.

Spitsfan67* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:06 AM
  #21
Stats01
Registered User
 
Stats01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,374
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
If Toronto's forwards are healthy, (specifically Lupul), and are on their game, Montreal's forwards don't even compare. These two teams are 4-5 in scoring respectively, but Toronto has Kessel who's underachieved all year (but has 9 goals in 15 career playoff games), Lupul who has only played 10 games, and an incredible amount of depth behind them in the form of Van Riemsdyk, Kadri, MacArthur, and Kulemin/Frattin/Grabovski who've all underachieved this year as well. When healthy, the Leafs have the talent to run 3 lines that are probably capable of 1st line production (it'll obviously never happen as somebody takes a shutdown role, but they have guys capable of stepping up).
I hate how people think Kessel has underachieved. He's evolved as a player, he's not the same streaky player who goes down the wing and snipes goals anymore. He can do that but anyone who has watched more than one Leaf game can clearly see he is more of a playmaker than he's ever been in his career. That's not under achieving that's improving an underrated aspect of his game. He has set up JVR numerous times for goals and they get completely overlooked. What does he have? like 40 points? He's pretty close to a PPG player. I'll take that from him over an 82 game schedule.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:08 AM
  #22
Montreal Shadow
Registered User
 
Montreal Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Gonna actually go out on a limb and say Leafs in 5 if we do face them.

I think the leafs have the clear advantage if Reimer plays steady. The habs have a pretty good team, but (trying my best to be objective) I think their pretty overrated. Subban for example, by most metrics, is extremely sheltered, as opposed to Phaneuf. (Not trying to opening this can of worms again but for the sake of an example)

It's just a matchup issue. When the Habs don't have a skating advantage against teams (like NYI, Toronto, and at times- Ottawa), they get exposed. I follow them pretty closely.

Boston would be the tougher series for Toronto (because historically Kessel has been terrible against Chara). We would really need an elevation in our secondary scoring. Although, I think we match up with them better this year.
Subban by most metrics has played 15 games of the season on the third pairing with Bouillon because he missed the camp and the first two pairs were working remarkably well, Therrien didn't want to break up anything. You know which defenseman was named one of the three stars for the month of March? Well, you should probably know during this month, that said defenseman was assigned first pairing duties and came back with Gorges.

He also had some very tough competition last year as a 23 year old and did a better job on defense than anybody on the Leafs roster and he's now better in every facet of the game. Even if using Phaneuf as an example, he gets scored once more per 60min which is pretty significant. Subban has no problem playing the toughest competition and still being effective as demonstrated by last year and the past month.

If you followed them closely you'd knew that.

That said, it would be a tough matchup for Montreal has Toronto has some solid top-end talent on offense and MTL doesn't have the type of defense that would grind and wear down Toronto's fast but small forwards like Kadri, Kessel or Grabovski. Montreal has too many offensive Dman and none of them can be considered a shutdown Dman which is absolutely a need against a team like Toronto.

The opposite is also true though. Toronto doesn't have the shutdown capabilities and goaltending to stop Montreal's depth.

I think this match would be mostly a matter of transition game and Montreal's defenseman can all move the puck very well and ultimately, they'd make the difference as I don't think Toronto has the defense or goaltending to stop the puck cycling and movement. If Price plays anything like he did against Boston two years ago, Toronto's in big trouble.

Montreal in 6-7.

Edit: Before you say anything, toughness won't matter against Montreal in the playoffs.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:09 AM
  #23
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Leafs forwards > Habs forwards
Leafs defence > Habs defence
Leafs goaltending < Habs goaltending

Star goalies like Lundqvist, Miller, Luongo, never seem to seal the deal. Leafs have made Price looked like a Junior A goalie over his career.

Toronto is always bottom 10 in NHL for GA and MTL is always top 10...

Subban> Phaneuf
Markov>Franson
Gorges>Gunnarson
Diaz>Liles
Bouillon<Fraser
Drewiske=O'byrne

Montreal defense >>>Toronto

MTL or Toronto in 7

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:12 AM
  #24
Montreal Shadow
Registered User
 
Montreal Shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Toronto is always bottom 10 in NHL for GA and MTL is always top 10...

Subban> Phaneuf
Markov>Franson
Gorges>Gunnarson
Diaz>Liles
Bouillon<Fraser
Drewiske=O'byrne

Montreal defense >>>Toronto

MTL or Toronto in 7
I honestly wouldn't attribute the good GAA to the defense. I think a good part of the work is due to the defensive forwards on the team. Prust, Plekanec, Eller, Moen. All these guys can play some solid defense and are very good in their own end. Defensively, aside from Subban and Gorges, I don't think MTL's defense is that good.

Montreal Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 07:26 AM
  #25
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 8,174
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstemperor View Post
Gonna actually go out on a limb and say Leafs in 5 if we do face them.

I think the leafs have the clear advantage if Reimer plays steady. The habs have a pretty good team, but (trying my best to be objective) I think their pretty overrated. Subban for example, by most metrics, is extremely sheltered, as opposed to Phaneuf. (Not trying to opening this can of worms again but for the sake of an example)

It's just a matchup issue. When the Habs don't have a skating advantage against teams (like NYI, Toronto, and at times- Ottawa), they get exposed. I follow them pretty closely.

Boston would be the tougher series for Toronto (because historically Kessel has been terrible against Chara). We would really need an elevation in our secondary scoring. Although, I think we match up with them better this year.
Good try, it didn't work out for you though.

I'd say the Leafs are overrated due to the fact they have a negative shot differential, aren't that great in 5 on 5 which is king in the playoffs and are riding off high shot percentages due to their puck possession being really bad.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:22 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.