HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

MTL-TOR 1st Round matchup

View Poll Results: Who would win between habs and leafs ?
Habs in 4 19 4.36%
Habs in 5 54 12.39%
Habs in 6 115 26.38%
Habs in 7 39 8.94%
Leafs in 4 16 3.67%
Leafs in 5 18 4.13%
Leafs in 6 108 24.77%
Leafs in 7 67 15.37%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Prairie Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker171 View Post
I disagree

Subban=Phaneuf
Markov=Franson
Gorgees>Gunnarson
Diaz>Liles
Bouillon<Fraser
Drewiske<O'byrne

All of em super close

Not only does Markov have more points, he plays over 24 minutes a game and over 2 minutes PK every game. Franson comes in at just over 18 minutes per game and under 1 minute of PK time per game. That has to be one of the biggest acts of homerism I have seen on this site.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Moore Money

I have a feeling the Leafs will get embarrassed in the playoffs, where there is no outscoring your problems.. Can't wait.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Didact
Dave Nonis-a wizard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I can give you that Phaneuf is pretty close to Subban but in what world is Franson as good as Markov??????? According to Avs Fan O'Byrne was their worst defenceman this year so how can he be better the Drewiske?

We can make a poll for Markov and Franson to see what HF think?
I'm too lazy to check but how's Markov even strength play been this season?

Didact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

I'll take Leafs in 6. Physically the Leafs dominate the habs. Lead the league in hits as a team and we know what would happen should the Habs want to scrap. Over the series, expect to see a very worn out group playing for the bleu blanc et rouge. The only advantage i would give Montreal is goaltending. If Price stands on his skull and pulls a Halak from a couple of years ago it could be different but I dont see that happening. Secondly, the Leafs penalty kill (3rd in the league) should nullify the Habs bread and butter.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
I'm too lazy to check but how's Markov even strength play been this season?
Not bad in terms of offense, but good in his own end expect vs the Bruins

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:28 PM
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver

Habs are a good team but tend to get beat by the more physical teams in the playoffs. Even with their run a couple years ago they beat the Pens, and the Caps but when they faced Philly(with a suspect goalie) they got beat. The Bruins also swept them not to long ago I believe.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Actually Kessel has more points than his career average so it would be hard to say he is underachieving. Also are all players going to revert to their career norms in the playoffs despite how they played in the regular season? I guess Kadri is due for a huge drop in production then because he has overachieved big time.
For those that have not watched Kadri in playoffs early in his career, he has always become more dangerous in the playoffs then in the regular season. I've seen it first hand when he faced the Guelph storm as a London knight and I saw it with the marlies last year. Anyone who thinks he will disappear in the playoffs clearly doesn't know Kadri.

Habs fans, be prepared to hate this kid a lot, because he becomes a warrior in the post season.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:39 PM
bdawg1989*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
For those that have not watched Kadri in playoffs early in his career, he has always become more dangerous in the playoffs then in the regular season. I've seen it first hand when he faced the Guelph storm as a London knight and I saw it with the marlies last year. Anyone who thinks he will disappear in the playoffs clearly doesn't know Kadri.

Habs fans, be prepared to hate this kid a lot, because he becomes a warrior in the post season.
Yeah, playing for the Leafs and all I would expect he knows much about playoffs experience

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by REALTALK81 View Post
I'll take Leafs in 6. Physically the Leafs dominate the habs. Lead the league in hits as a team and we know what would happen should the Habs want to scrap. Over the series, expect to see a very worn out group playing for the bleu blanc et rouge. The only advantage i would give Montreal is goaltending. If Price stands on his skull and pulls a Halak from a couple of years ago it could be different but I dont see that happening. Secondly, the Leafs penalty kill (3rd in the league) should nullify the Habs bread and butter.

Mtl is maybe the best team in NHL behind Chicago at 5 on 5....... Toronto have no chance to beat MTL in a playoff series...... thanks for coming!

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Roo

I don't think you can look at overall season stats when assessing. Its probably better to look more at head-to-head stats. That is also a little misleading because we played two games very early, before Montreal hit stride, and really most teams for that matter. Heck we didn't even have a preseason.

All I'm saying is, some teams just don't match up well against others, regardless of how they have done over the course of a full season.

Based on the above, I think its really hard to tell. The last game Montreal played Toronto is probably most indicative, but its only one game, and I wouldn't expect Prust to play the game of his life again.

In the end, a seven game series between the two would be amazing. I think the intangibles will make the difference:

-Toronto is tougher
-Montreal is more experienced
-Who will be healthier?
-Who will have home ice? (looking like MTL now for sure)

I honestly don't know, it may very well be whomever is playing better hockey in the last few games of the season, and coaching (matchups, etc.) that decides this. There is way too much parity in the league to think this is clear cut in any way.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post

Look no further then PK Subban for your own hate on Montreal, kids a playoff warrior. (Not being rude, but Subbans actually been in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and knows the grind)

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
bdawg1989*

Subban shutdown Crosby and Ovechkin in his first steps in the NHL.

He will own Kadri like there's no tomorow.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Ha!

No...in the end, Montreal won the game 5-2.
If the Leafs played all season the same way the played the Habs the last time around they would be a bottom-5 team. That game was close practically all game despite the fact the Leafs simply were not skating and seemed disinterested all game. Trust me, I was there. I'd be worried that even a disinterested Maple Leafs team could make a close game out of the Habs.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post

With Subbans QoC would he not be matched up against Komarov - McClemnt - McClaren?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
Roo

Quote:

I hardly doubt he will be out there to play against both the Kadri and Kessel line. Toronto will be able to throw three legit scoring lines at you. Just take a look at their offense, they have had a very well balanced attack this year.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:

Well that's just not true.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Well that's just not true.
For OV you're right it's not true but for Crosby yes it was...

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
I hardly doubt he will be out there to play against both the Kadri and Kessel line. Toronto will be able to throw three legit scoring lines at you. Just take a look at their offense, they have had a very well balanced attack this year.
And MTL doesnt?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:00 PM
phillipmike

Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
The Habs would certainly be favourites. You have the HTH up 2-1 now, with 2 games left to play. Once the playoffs start, its a whole new ball game. We'd almost certainly have home ice too, which in the playoffs is big (yes im aware you won both games in MTL)
LOL every argument the Leafs have going for them you shoot down and say the Habs would still be the favourite to win regardless of the situation.

Me: Leafs are better head to head in 2013 = You: Means nothing, Playoffs are a different story
Habs will have home ice - Me: The Leafs beat them twice in Montreal = You: It does not matter.

All stats so far THIS season prove that the Leafs are better than the Habs head to head.

I am not saying anyone is the fav over anyone else but you are acting like Montreal is in a different league than the Leafs. Fact is both teams were lottery teams last year and now they are likely to play in the playoffs against each other. They seemed to be matched evenly but if you have to pick a fav based on what happens happened this season so FAR it cant be the Habs. Leafs have beaten them twice and home ice should not matter because both Leaf wins happened in Montreal.

I hope the Habs and Leafs square off. I really hope so.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
And MTL doesnt?
They do obviously, but the thing is their deapth is second rate. The Leafs have more game breaking threats up front. You likely want to put your best defensive unit against JVR and Kessel but that means Kadri and Lupul are free to tear up your 2nd pair. The leafs have 3 players producing at a 1st line rate and 1 producing at a 2nd line rate. Only 2 of each are on a line together so you have to decide which 1st line you want to shut down. The same cant be said for Montreal. However Montreal has 4 lines that can score while Toronto has 2, maybe 3 depending on whether Grabovski and MacArthur decide to show up, which is where their offensive advantage is.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Roo

Quote:
And MTL doesnt?
I was just responding to another person's comment about Subban and Kadri. All I am saying is that Kadri isnt your only problem.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:09 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
LOL every argument the Leafs have going for them you shoot down and say the Habs would still be the favourite to win regardless of the situation.

Me: Leafs are better head to head in 2013 = You: Means nothing, Playoffs are a different story
Habs will have home ice - Me: The Leafs beat them twice in Montreal = You: It does not matter.

All stats so far THIS season prove that the Leafs are better than the Habs head to head.

I am not saying anyone is the fav over anyone else but you are acting like Montreal is in a different league than the Leafs. Fact is both teams were lottery teams last year and now they are likely to play in the playoffs against each other. They seemed to be matched evenly but if you have to pick a fav based on what happens happened this season so FAR it cant be the Habs. Leafs have beaten them twice and home ice should not matter because both Leaf wins happened in Montreal.

I hope the Habs and Leafs square off. I really hope so.
Wasn't trying to sound like a *****, just stating my opinion. Once playoffs comes, nothing in the regular season matters. I also dont get how you said im acting the habs are in a whole other league, I barely made any comments, I was just stating my opinions.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:13 PM
Revansky

Will be an interesting matchup

Two comparable teams (giving a slight edge to the Habs except in toughness where the leafs have a clear advantage), will depend on who will play the better game on the ice at the time. It will surely lit up the rivalry a bit (that was a bit dried up in the recent years).

Would go for Montreal in 6 games as the most likely scenario (with a bit of biais optimism on my part i guess) but the Leafs have a legitimate shot to win it.

Revansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:17 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
They do obviously, but the thing is their deapth is second rate. The Leafs have more game breaking threats up front. You likely want to put your best defensive unit against JVR and Kessel but that means Kadri and Lupul are free to tear up your 2nd pair. The leafs have 3 players producing at a 1st line rate and 1 producing at a 2nd line rate. Only 2 of each are on a line together so you have to decide which 1st line you want to shut down. The same cant be said for Montreal. However Montreal has 4 lines that can score while Toronto has 2, maybe 3 depending on whether Grabovski and MacArthur decide to show up, which is where their offensive advantage is.
Habs depth is more even. All you have is Kadri and Kessel, the Habs 3 lines are way more balanced than the Leafs. And if the Habs have home-ice advantage then Kadri wont have the benefit of easy competition like he's used to.

We have Markov and Subban on different lines to shut down your top 2 lines, the Leafs have nothing but Phaneuf. Not to mention that we have Plekanec, the best two-way player on either team.

I feel more confident knowing that we have 4 lines that can score instead of just 2 for the Leafs.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:19 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Habs depth is more even. All you have is Kadri and Kessel, the Habs 3 lines are way more balanced than the Leafs. And if the Habs have home-ice advantage then Kadri wont have the benefit of easy competition like he's used to.

We have Markov and Subban on different lines to shut down your top 2 lines, the Leafs have nothing but Phaneuf. Not to mention that we have Plekanec, the best two-way player on either team.

I feel more confident knowing that we have 4 lines that can score instead of just 2 for the Leafs.
Lupul too if he's healthy, but his health seems to be questionable as of late. Great player though when healthy.