HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

MTL-TOR 1st Round matchup

View Poll Results: Who would win between habs and leafs ?
Habs in 4 19 4.36%
Habs in 5 54 12.39%
Habs in 6 115 26.38%
Habs in 7 39 8.94%
Leafs in 4 16 3.67%
Leafs in 5 18 4.13%
Leafs in 6 108 24.77%
Leafs in 7 67 15.37%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-11-2013, 12:01 PM
  #51
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parker171 View Post
I disagree

Subban=Phaneuf
Markov=Franson
Gorgees>Gunnarson
Diaz>Liles
Bouillon<Fraser
Drewiske<O'byrne

All of em super close


Not only does Markov have more points, he plays over 24 minutes a game and over 2 minutes PK every game. Franson comes in at just over 18 minutes per game and under 1 minute of PK time per game. That has to be one of the biggest acts of homerism I have seen on this site.

Prairie Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:02 PM
  #52
Moore Money
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,984
vCash: 500
I have a feeling the Leafs will get embarrassed in the playoffs, where there is no outscoring your problems.. Can't wait.

Moore Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:06 PM
  #53
Didact
Dave Nonis-a wizard?
 
Didact's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I can give you that Phaneuf is pretty close to Subban but in what world is Franson as good as Markov??????? According to Avs Fan O'Byrne was their worst defenceman this year so how can he be better the Drewiske?

We can make a poll for Markov and Franson to see what HF think?
I'm too lazy to check but how's Markov even strength play been this season?

Didact is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:18 PM
  #54
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver
 
REALTALK81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
I'll take Leafs in 6. Physically the Leafs dominate the habs. Lead the league in hits as a team and we know what would happen should the Habs want to scrap. Over the series, expect to see a very worn out group playing for the bleu blanc et rouge. The only advantage i would give Montreal is goaltending. If Price stands on his skull and pulls a Halak from a couple of years ago it could be different but I dont see that happening. Secondly, the Leafs penalty kill (3rd in the league) should nullify the Habs bread and butter.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:19 PM
  #55
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didact View Post
I'm too lazy to check but how's Markov even strength play been this season?
Not bad in terms of offense, but good in his own end expect vs the Bruins

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:28 PM
  #56
REALTALK81
Pro Log Driver
 
REALTALK81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 392
vCash: 500
Habs are a good team but tend to get beat by the more physical teams in the playoffs. Even with their run a couple years ago they beat the Pens, and the Caps but when they faced Philly(with a suspect goalie) they got beat. The Bruins also swept them not to long ago I believe.

REALTALK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:29 PM
  #57
Atomos2
Attitude problems
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,886
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Actually Kessel has more points than his career average so it would be hard to say he is underachieving. Also are all players going to revert to their career norms in the playoffs despite how they played in the regular season? I guess Kadri is due for a huge drop in production then because he has overachieved big time.
For those that have not watched Kadri in playoffs early in his career, he has always become more dangerous in the playoffs then in the regular season. I've seen it first hand when he faced the Guelph storm as a London knight and I saw it with the marlies last year. Anyone who thinks he will disappear in the playoffs clearly doesn't know Kadri.



Habs fans, be prepared to hate this kid a lot, because he becomes a warrior in the post season.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:39 PM
  #58
bdawg1989*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
For those that have not watched Kadri in playoffs early in his career, he has always become more dangerous in the playoffs then in the regular season. I've seen it first hand when he faced the Guelph storm as a London knight and I saw it with the marlies last year. Anyone who thinks he will disappear in the playoffs clearly doesn't know Kadri.



Habs fans, be prepared to hate this kid a lot, because he becomes a warrior in the post season.
Yeah, playing for the Leafs and all I would expect he knows much about playoffs experience

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
  #59
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by REALTALK81 View Post
I'll take Leafs in 6. Physically the Leafs dominate the habs. Lead the league in hits as a team and we know what would happen should the Habs want to scrap. Over the series, expect to see a very worn out group playing for the bleu blanc et rouge. The only advantage i would give Montreal is goaltending. If Price stands on his skull and pulls a Halak from a couple of years ago it could be different but I dont see that happening. Secondly, the Leafs penalty kill (3rd in the league) should nullify the Habs bread and butter.



Mtl is maybe the best team in NHL behind Chicago at 5 on 5....... Toronto have no chance to beat MTL in a playoff series...... thanks for coming!

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:40 PM
  #60
Roo
Registered User
 
Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 500
I don't think you can look at overall season stats when assessing. Its probably better to look more at head-to-head stats. That is also a little misleading because we played two games very early, before Montreal hit stride, and really most teams for that matter. Heck we didn't even have a preseason.

All I'm saying is, some teams just don't match up well against others, regardless of how they have done over the course of a full season.

Based on the above, I think its really hard to tell. The last game Montreal played Toronto is probably most indicative, but its only one game, and I wouldn't expect Prust to play the game of his life again.

In the end, a seven game series between the two would be amazing. I think the intangibles will make the difference:

-Toronto is tougher
-Montreal is more experienced
-Who will be healthier?
-Who will have home ice? (looking like MTL now for sure)

I honestly don't know, it may very well be whomever is playing better hockey in the last few games of the season, and coaching (matchups, etc.) that decides this. There is way too much parity in the league to think this is clear cut in any way.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:41 PM
  #61
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
For those that have not watched Kadri in playoffs early in his career, he has always become more dangerous in the playoffs then in the regular season. I've seen it first hand when he faced the Guelph storm as a London knight and I saw it with the marlies last year. Anyone who thinks he will disappear in the playoffs clearly doesn't know Kadri.



Habs fans, be prepared to hate this kid a lot, because he becomes a warrior in the post season.
Look no further then PK Subban for your own hate on Montreal, kids a playoff warrior. (Not being rude, but Subbans actually been in the Stanley Cup Playoffs and knows the grind)

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  #62
bdawg1989*
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 974
vCash: 500
Subban shutdown Crosby and Ovechkin in his first steps in the NHL.

He will own Kadri like there's no tomorow.

bdawg1989* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
  #63
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 13,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamp9post View Post
Ha!

No...in the end, Montreal won the game 5-2.
If the Leafs played all season the same way the played the Habs the last time around they would be a bottom-5 team. That game was close practically all game despite the fact the Leafs simply were not skating and seemed disinterested all game. Trust me, I was there. I'd be worried that even a disinterested Maple Leafs team could make a close game out of the Habs.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:46 PM
  #64
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
Subban shutdown Crosby and Ovechkin in his first steps in the NHL.

He will own Kadri like there's no tomorow.
With Subbans QoC would he not be matched up against Komarov - McClemnt - McClaren?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
  #65
Roo
Registered User
 
Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
Subban shutdown Crosby and Ovechkin in his first steps in the NHL.

He will own Kadri like there's no tomorow.
I hardly doubt he will be out there to play against both the Kadri and Kessel line. Toronto will be able to throw three legit scoring lines at you. Just take a look at their offense, they have had a very well balanced attack this year.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:50 PM
  #66
MastuhNinks
Registered User
 
MastuhNinks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Iron Throne
Posts: 4,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
Subban shutdown Crosby and Ovechkin in his first steps in the NHL.

He will own Kadri like there's no tomorow.
Well that's just not true.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
  #67
EveryDay
Registered User
 
EveryDay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,005
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
Well that's just not true.
For OV you're right it's not true but for Crosby yes it was...

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
  #68
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo View Post
I hardly doubt he will be out there to play against both the Kadri and Kessel line. Toronto will be able to throw three legit scoring lines at you. Just take a look at their offense, they have had a very well balanced attack this year.
And MTL doesnt?

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:00 PM
  #69
phillipmike
Registered User
 
phillipmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
The Habs would certainly be favourites. You have the HTH up 2-1 now, with 2 games left to play. Once the playoffs start, its a whole new ball game. We'd almost certainly have home ice too, which in the playoffs is big (yes im aware you won both games in MTL)
LOL every argument the Leafs have going for them you shoot down and say the Habs would still be the favourite to win regardless of the situation.

Me: Leafs are better head to head in 2013 = You: Means nothing, Playoffs are a different story
Habs will have home ice - Me: The Leafs beat them twice in Montreal = You: It does not matter.

All stats so far THIS season prove that the Leafs are better than the Habs head to head.

I am not saying anyone is the fav over anyone else but you are acting like Montreal is in a different league than the Leafs. Fact is both teams were lottery teams last year and now they are likely to play in the playoffs against each other. They seemed to be matched evenly but if you have to pick a fav based on what happens happened this season so FAR it cant be the Habs. Leafs have beaten them twice and home ice should not matter because both Leaf wins happened in Montreal.

I hope the Habs and Leafs square off. I really hope so.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
  #70
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101
 
The Podium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
And MTL doesnt?
They do obviously, but the thing is their deapth is second rate. The Leafs have more game breaking threats up front. You likely want to put your best defensive unit against JVR and Kessel but that means Kadri and Lupul are free to tear up your 2nd pair. The leafs have 3 players producing at a 1st line rate and 1 producing at a 2nd line rate. Only 2 of each are on a line together so you have to decide which 1st line you want to shut down. The same cant be said for Montreal. However Montreal has 4 lines that can score while Toronto has 2, maybe 3 depending on whether Grabovski and MacArthur decide to show up, which is where their offensive advantage is.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:05 PM
  #71
Roo
Registered User
 
Roo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
And MTL doesnt?
I was just responding to another person's comment about Subban and Kadri. All I am saying is that Kadri isnt your only problem.

Roo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:09 PM
  #72
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
LOL every argument the Leafs have going for them you shoot down and say the Habs would still be the favourite to win regardless of the situation.

Me: Leafs are better head to head in 2013 = You: Means nothing, Playoffs are a different story
Habs will have home ice - Me: The Leafs beat them twice in Montreal = You: It does not matter.

All stats so far THIS season prove that the Leafs are better than the Habs head to head.

I am not saying anyone is the fav over anyone else but you are acting like Montreal is in a different league than the Leafs. Fact is both teams were lottery teams last year and now they are likely to play in the playoffs against each other. They seemed to be matched evenly but if you have to pick a fav based on what happens happened this season so FAR it cant be the Habs. Leafs have beaten them twice and home ice should not matter because both Leaf wins happened in Montreal.

I hope the Habs and Leafs square off. I really hope so.
Wasn't trying to sound like a *****, just stating my opinion. Once playoffs comes, nothing in the regular season matters. I also dont get how you said im acting the habs are in a whole other league, I barely made any comments, I was just stating my opinions.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:13 PM
  #73
Revansky
Registered User
 
Revansky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 55
vCash: 500
Will be an interesting matchup

Two comparable teams (giving a slight edge to the Habs except in toughness where the leafs have a clear advantage), will depend on who will play the better game on the ice at the time. It will surely lit up the rivalry a bit (that was a bit dried up in the recent years).

Would go for Montreal in 6 games as the most likely scenario (with a bit of biais optimism on my part i guess) but the Leafs have a legitimate shot to win it.

Revansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:17 PM
  #74
sharks9
Registered User
 
sharks9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 9,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
They do obviously, but the thing is their deapth is second rate. The Leafs have more game breaking threats up front. You likely want to put your best defensive unit against JVR and Kessel but that means Kadri and Lupul are free to tear up your 2nd pair. The leafs have 3 players producing at a 1st line rate and 1 producing at a 2nd line rate. Only 2 of each are on a line together so you have to decide which 1st line you want to shut down. The same cant be said for Montreal. However Montreal has 4 lines that can score while Toronto has 2, maybe 3 depending on whether Grabovski and MacArthur decide to show up, which is where their offensive advantage is.
Habs depth is more even. All you have is Kadri and Kessel, the Habs 3 lines are way more balanced than the Leafs. And if the Habs have home-ice advantage then Kadri wont have the benefit of easy competition like he's used to.

We have Markov and Subban on different lines to shut down your top 2 lines, the Leafs have nothing but Phaneuf. Not to mention that we have Plekanec, the best two-way player on either team.

I feel more confident knowing that we have 4 lines that can score instead of just 2 for the Leafs.

sharks9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:19 PM
  #75
x74Pacioretty74x
Registered User
 
x74Pacioretty74x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,936
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Habs depth is more even. All you have is Kadri and Kessel, the Habs 3 lines are way more balanced than the Leafs. And if the Habs have home-ice advantage then Kadri wont have the benefit of easy competition like he's used to.

We have Markov and Subban on different lines to shut down your top 2 lines, the Leafs have nothing but Phaneuf. Not to mention that we have Plekanec, the best two-way player on either team.

I feel more confident knowing that we have 4 lines that can score instead of just 2 for the Leafs.
Lupul too if he's healthy, but his health seems to be questionable as of late. Great player though when healthy.

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:36 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.