HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

MTL-TOR 1st Round matchup

View Poll Results: Who would win between habs and leafs ?
Habs in 4 19 4.36%
Habs in 5 54 12.39%
Habs in 6 115 26.38%
Habs in 7 39 8.94%
Leafs in 4 16 3.67%
Leafs in 5 18 4.13%
Leafs in 6 108 24.77%
Leafs in 7 67 15.37%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-11-2013, 12:23 PM
The Beyonder

vCash: 500
I think the leafs provide dynamic dimensions to their game and lineup that would give the habs a very hard time against the leafs. Those dimensions are size, toughness, and speed.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:24 PM
LSnow

If Kessel gets hot and Habs try to play up tempo game with the Leafs then i think they will get buried in 5-6 games. Otherwise i think Habs win in 5-6.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:26 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharks9 View Post
Habs depth is more even. All you have is Kadri and Kessel, the Habs 3 lines are way more balanced than the Leafs. And if the Habs have home-ice advantage then Kadri wont have the benefit of easy competition like he's used to.

We have Markov and Subban on different lines to shut down your top 2 lines, the Leafs have nothing but Phaneuf. Not to mention that we have Plekanec, the best two-way player on either team.

I feel more confident knowing that we have 4 lines that can score instead of just 2 for the Leafs.
Again Lupul and JVR... JVR would be 3rd on your team in offensive scoring. If MacArthur, Grabovski or Kulemin play to their capabilities then you can add them as well. We also have McClement which is the best defensive player on either team, and Kulemin who would be up there as well. I really dont get why your trying to downplay the Leafs?

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:30 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
Again Lupul and JVR... JVR would be 3rd on your team in offensive scoring. If MacArthur, Grabovski or Kulemin play to their capabilities then you can add them as well. We also have McClement which is the best defensive player on either team, and Kulemin who would be up there as well. I really dont get why your trying to downplay the Leafs?
Dont act like you dont try to downplay Subban either, I see you in like all his threads

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:36 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
I think both teams have depth up front but the thing is the leafs have game breakers up front that could change the outcome of a game in an instant. I think the habs have a more dynamic backend then the leafs with guys like Subban and Markov, who can kill you on the PP.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
sharks9

Quote:
He'd be tied for 4th actually. Plus we get the most offense from defensemen out of anyone in the league. With Bourque back and Diaz coming back soon we'll have more offensive options than ever. Our 4th line of Moen-Halpern-Prust can chip in a decent amount of offense too. Haha no, Plekanec>>>McClement defensively any day. Why are you trying to downplay the Habs?

sharks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
Woll Smoth

vCash: 1205
I don't know why MTL fans keep pointing to the standings.

1) Upsets happen
2) Toronto matches up well against MTL

Either way I could see this series, if it happens, going at least 6 games.
50/50 on who would win it

Woll Smoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:45 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by x74Pacioretty74x View Post
Dont act like you dont try to downplay Subban either, I see you in like all his threads
Subban is an incredible talent and will be one of the best D's in the league soon, just not there yet. Offensively he has that game breaking ability and can easily change the game, he is a threat every time he touches the ice. His defensive role has been largely overrated by Hab fans however. The guy is essentially having a Kadri-type season where sheltered minutes are too easy making them look like the best in their position. He is given large amounts of PP time and is playing behind Markov in terms of quality of competition. It doesnt bother me that hes given praise but when the comments are like "stupid leaf fans think Phaneuf is even close Subban" are irritating since Phaneuf has been the better of the two defensively by a significant margin (the opposite is true as well in terms of offence).

Old
04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
He'd be tied for 4th actually. Plus we get the most offense from defensemen out of anyone in the league. With Bourque back and Diaz coming back soon we'll have more offensive options than ever. Our 4th line of Moen-Halpern-Prust can chip in a decent amount of offense too. Haha no, Plekanec>>>McClement defensively any day. Why are you trying to downplay the Habs?
Unless Subban became a forward JVR would be third. Overall Plekanec >>>>> McClement, but strictly defense i take McClement all the time. The guy is regarded as the best PKer league wide (before coming to Toronto), and resurrected Toronto's PK fromn 28th to 4th.

Last edited by The Podium: 04-11-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 12:53 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Leafs in 6.

They split in Montreal, Toronto wins both emotionally charged games in Toronto, Montreal wins game 5 only to lose to the Leafs back in Toronto. Montreal are the favorites but the physical play will take its toll.

Coach Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:55 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Unless Subban became a forward JVR would be forth. Overall Plekanec >>>>> McClement, but strictly defense i take McClement all the time. The guy is regarded as the best PKer league wide (before coming to Toronto), and resurrected Toronto's PK fromn 28th to 4th.
Regarded as that by who? You? McClement's team's have had average to below average PK's last year and the year before so it's not like he can single-handedly turn a team's PK around by himself. I'd say the PK change is more on Carlyle than anyone else.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:56 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Unless Subban became a forward JVR would be forth. Overall Plekanec >>>>> McClement, but strictly defense i take McClement all the time. The guy is regarded as the best PKer league wide (before coming to Toronto), and resurrected Toronto's PK fromn 28th to 4th.
You would take Jay McClement over Plekanec? In any fashion that's absurd.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:58 PM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Shadow View Post
Do you think that will happen or simply hope that it will?
Both

HarrisonFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 12:59 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Gotta say this about the Leafs, even in the years they were in the bottom of the standings, a Habs Leafs game can go either way. Kinda the same way Habs Bruins games were close no matter where each was in the standings.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:04 PM
SH15

Stats from the season as a whole are meaningless
Comparing players in the form Phaneuf > Subban is meaningless

They are fun, but don't apply once the puck drops in Game 1. You have to look at team vs team. And team vs team in the 3 games so far, Toronto has definitely been better. But, still two more to go. The series will be tight and could definitely go either way. Anyone who says otherwise (OMG we will smash them!!!) is foolish. Bottom line, the fans are the big winners here!

Based on what I've seen team vs team this season, I'm going Leafs in 6 in what will be the best series of the entire 2013 Stanley Cup Playoffs

SH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:07 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Regarded as that by who? You? McClement's team's have had average to below average PK's last year and the year before so it's not like he can single-handedly turn a team's PK around by himself. I'd say the PK change is more on Carlyle than anyone else.
Ask Av fans and Blues fans what they think

http://nhlhotstove.com/top-10-penalt...in-the-league/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
You would take Jay McClement over Plekanec? In any fashion that's absurd.
On the PK easily.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdawg1989 View Post
Subban shutdown Crosby and Ovechkin in his first steps in the NHL.

He will own Kadri like there's no tomorow.
And then Kessel and Lupul will own the rest of the montreal D.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
sharks9

Quote:
Ask Av fans and Blues fans what they think

http://nhlhotstove.com/top-10-penalt...in-the-league/
One fans opinion doesn't mean much.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:26 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
One fans opinion doesn't mean much.
So you think Plekanecs is better doesnt mean much?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Habs depth is more even. All you have is Kadri and Kessel, the Habs 3 lines are way more balanced than the Leafs. And if the Habs have home-ice advantage then Kadri wont have the benefit of easy competition like he's used to.

We have Markov and Subban on different lines to shut down your top 2 lines, the Leafs have nothing but Phaneuf. Not to mention that we have Plekanec, the best two-way player on either team.

I feel more confident knowing that we have 4 lines that can score instead of just 2 for the Leafs.
All we have is Kadri and Kessel? And who do you have? You like singling out our top players and saying that they can easily be shutdown and, meanwhile all you can tell us is Montreal has depth scoring. No names, just depth. Its like a one sided argument where you know nothing about the other team. At least try being a little accurate. The leafs are more than just Kadri and Kessel. A lot more.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Atomos2
#theProspectsGrim

Quote:
Ya well, we have him on our team too.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
phillipmike

Quote:

More depth is terms of what? Leafs and Habs have similar production in terms of points from their forwards.

Montreal (Points) - Toronto (Points)
Ryder 32 - Kessel 40
Pacioretty 30 - Kadri 40
Plekanec 28 - JVR 28
Gionta 22 - Bozak 25
Desharnais 22 - Kulemin 21
Eller 21 - MacArthur 18
Gallagher 21 - Grabovski 15
Galchenyuk 20 - Lupul 14
Prust 12 - McClement 13
Bourque 10 - Frattin 12
Moen 5 - Komarov 6
Armstrong 5 - McLaren 5
Halpern 3 - Orr 4

I do not see where the Habs have better depth. To me it looks the same with the Leafs having a slight edge, but its it maybe too small to recognize. I think some people are just saying things to says things just to give their team an edge (some Leaf fans are doing it as well) even if it isnt true.

phillipmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1LeafNation View Post
Leafs have made Price looked like a Junior A goalie over his career.
Price's Statline in his career Vs. Toronto:

22GP 11-10-1-1

2.52 GAA
.920 SV%
3 SO

Quite the Junior A goalie.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:36 PM
zoA

Quote:
So you think Plekanecs is better doesnt mean much?
lmao, that was great. Don't you love ineptitude.

If we're talking strictly defensive acumen, I take McClement all day every day, he's an absolute monster at his niche. Where Plekanecs wins is offence, he's far and away better, and I think the gap is closer between their defence than their offence.

I'm hoping for Leafs in 6, and I don't think it's that far fetched. Leafs match up way better with Montreal than they do with Boston.

zoA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Sundinisagod
King Altelius

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Gotta say this about the Leafs, even in the years they were in the bottom of the standings, a Habs Leafs game can go either way. Kinda the same way Habs Bruins games were close no matter where each was in the standings.

Yeah, standings mean very little when it comes to the Leafs vs Habs, and I'd say the exact same thing if we were the ones ahead as well.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote