Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Possible AHL Relocation

Old
04-07-2013, 03:17 AM
sushinsky4tsar

vCash: 500
Possible AHL Relocation

I'm surprised there's not already a thread on this topic outside of the Business or AHL forum:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...relocating.php

I realize there are a number of Aeros fans who post on this board and my intent isn't to pick at the bones of a franchise that's far from dead. Houston has been a great AHL market. I think having our top affiliate in a market that large with an NHL caliber arena has probably served the Wild very well. With that said, Houston deserves their shot at NHL sooner rather than later. Hopefully, that's the ultimate outcome.

Disclaimer in place, is anybody else excited about the prospect of having our AHL prospects in Des Moines or Sioux Falls? Sioux Falls seems like a bit of a stretch for the population base, but their new arena looks impressive. Does anybody think an AHL team could work in Fargo or Duluth? For that matter, Target Center or Xcel? Assuming of course, that the Wild would be the parent club.

sushinsky4tsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:46 AM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushinsky4tsar View Post
I'm surprised there's not already a thread on this topic outside of the Business or AHL forum:

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/hairba...relocating.php

I realize there are a number of Aeros fans who post on this board and my intent isn't to pick at the bones of a franchise that's far from dead. Houston has been a great AHL market. I think having our top affiliate in a market that large with an NHL caliber arena has probably served the Wild very well. With that said, Houston deserves their shot at NHL sooner rather than later. Hopefully, that's the ultimate outcome.

Disclaimer in place, is anybody else excited about the prospect of having our AHL prospects in Des Moines or Sioux Falls? Sioux Falls seems like a bit of a stretch for the population base, but their new arena looks impressive. Does anybody think an AHL team could work in Fargo or Duluth? For that matter, Target Center or Xcel? Assuming of course, that the Wild would be the parent club.
I think Iowa gets the nod just because of size tho we will see what happens. Wouldn't surprise me at all if the yotes moved to Houston in a few years

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:03 AM
Engebretson
I WANT HOLYFIELD!!!!

vCash: 1000
I'm sure the Wild wouldn't mind their call-ups being closer to St. Paul and it would definitely increase my chances of watching our AHL team play. That being said, it would suck for our friends down in Houston and I don't wish relocation on them at all.

It would be great if they could play at the Target Center, but I'll say Des Moines or Sioux Falls is more likely.

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 08:09 AM
LordFletcher

I spoke with Leipold two months ago on this topic and nothing came of it. If it happens it won't be for at least 3+ years is my guess, and or however long the next lease would be for

Maybe Craig had his poker face on, who knows... but he had all intentions to stay in Houston at the time. (I was hoping he would surprise me and hint that the team would be on the move closer to home)

maybe things have changed?

LordFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

vCash: 50
If for some reason they relocated to Fargo, I would go crazy with joy, and go to many, many AHL games every year.

No idea if they would be even remotely viable here. We do have a USHL team that seems to be doing well here in the new hockey arena that was built a couple years ago. But it only seats about 6,000.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:05 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Duluth seems like an interesting idea...They could play in the new Amsoil Arena, it seats 6600 for hockey.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:33 PM
BigT2002

Duluth, Grand Forks, Sioux Falls would be epic

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:36 PM
tomgilbertfan
u wot m8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Duluth seems like an interesting idea...They could play in the new Amsoil Arena, it seats 6600 for hockey.
No space. Ahl plays on weekends, so do both the men's and women's teams, and it hosts a high school sectional when that happens.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Giles Ferrell
#believeinyeo

A move to Des Moines or Sioux Falls would be awesome. I would take a yearly trip to see them play in either location.

Giles Ferrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:17 PM
StealthClobber
EUCALYPTUS!!!

God that article is absolute ********. I'm not doubting they may be talking about moving the Aeros, but 5th place in the west is hardly "the brink of missing the playoffs", and this picture:

Is NEVER what it looks like. I don't know when they took that photo but it's always more populated than that. Not to mention the Aeros are apparently in the top 5 in AHL attendance, in HOUSTON. Obviously I'm a little emotional being from Houston but it's not like the Aeros just got granted permission to use the Toyota Center, they and the Rockets are the main tenants since 2003 when it opened.

StealthClobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:34 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFletcher View Post
I spoke with Leipold two months ago on this topic and nothing came of it. If it happens it won't be for at least 3+ years is my guess, and or however long the next lease would be for

Maybe Craig had his poker face on, who knows... but he had all intentions to stay in Houston at the time. (I was hoping he would surprise me and hint that the team would be on the move closer to home)

maybe things have changed?
I think that they would prefer to stay, but that they might be getting pinched out by a Rockets ownership that would prefer to keep dates open for concerts.

Is the Summit no longer around? Any other alternatives in greater Houston? You don't really need a 20K seat house for an AHL team. If they do pull out, for the love of God, leave the Aeros name in Houston where it belongs. I hope that's the team name if/when the NHL enters that market.

It sounds like Peoria might be in the mix too, as the current Rivermen franchise is in the process of being sold off to nuckLand.

What is tantalizing to me is the possibility of:

1) winter roadtrip
2) maybe a couple of home games played at Xcel each year?
3) maybe some FSN broadcasts? One can only hope.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:44 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthClobber View Post
God that article is absolute ********. I'm not doubting they may be talking about moving the Aeros, but 5th place in the west is hardly "the brink of missing the playoffs", and this picture:

Is NEVER what it looks like. I don't know when they took that photo but it's always more populated than that. Not to mention the Aeros are apparently in the top 5 in AHL attendance, in HOUSTON. Obviously I'm a little emotional being from Houston but it's not like the Aeros just got granted permission to use the Toyota Center, they and the Rockets are the main tenants since 2003 when it opened.
No doubt. It would be pretty laughable for Houston to have neither an NHL or AHL club. Are there any other viable sites if a deal can't get done in Toyota Center?

As much as I would love a team for Fargo/Duluth/Sioux Falls/Des Moines.. part of the fun is being in the same league with some big time markets like Houston and Chicago.

Old
04-07-2013, 01:54 PM
StealthClobber
EUCALYPTUS!!!

Not really, that was the reason they moved into the Toyota Center. And no, the Summit is no longer viable; it's some big church now. The only other arena is Reliant Arena next to where the Texans play but it's kinda small. Says there are 5800 permanent seats and the Aeros generally pull in around 7,000 every game, but even then sometimes the Aeros pull in 10,000 or more on special days, nevermind the playoffs. Calder Cup Final was crazy packed.

StealthClobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 01:58 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
If for some reason they relocated to Fargo, I would go crazy with joy, and go to many, many AHL games every year.

No idea if they would be even remotely viable here. We do have a USHL team that seems to be doing well here in the new hockey arena that was built a couple years ago. But it only seats about 6,000.
A year ago, I think I would've said no -- too small. But if the Flames are sniffing around Utica, you would like to think Fargo might have some hope. Fargo and Scheels are definitely on the small side, but I honestly think they could carve out a niche as the "mini-peg" of the AHL. Of course, the big barrier for upper-midwest/Western teams is the travel costs for a team to operate here compared to burgs like Utica out east.

Sioux Falls seems to have an ambitious arena plan, but I think of Fargo as more of a hockey town (not sure if USHL attendance backs that up). When you're asking 2.5% of its entire metro area to come to the rink for 40 dates, you're going to need a lot of hockey passion to make that work.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Teddy10Beers

Fargo? In the words of John McEnroe ... you can't be serious.

The only way they could average 5K fans per game in Fargo is if they offered a free all-you-can-eat-buffet after every game.

Teddy10Beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Dampland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
I'm sure the Wild wouldn't mind their call-ups being closer to St. Paul and it would definitely increase my chances of watching our AHL team play. That being said, it would suck for our friends down in Houston and I don't wish relocation on them at all.

It would be great if they could play at the Target Center, but I'll say Des Moines or Sioux Falls is more likely.
Agree completely ... I would love to be near the AHL market and be able to watch our Wild "future". But I do feel a kinship to the Houston market and their fans. But if they get the Coyotes to replace the Aeros, then I wouldn't feel so bad.

Des Moines, IA is probably the best market, but there are already multiple USHL teams in IA, so not sure how much more hockey teams they can support.

I miss the days of going to the St. Paul Vulcans games.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 03:44 PM
BigT2002

Des Moines makes the most sense because its just 35S the entire way. Sioux Falls requires a little bit more of a haul if you don't want to take 212 or 12 down through Marshall and link up from there to Pipestone (yes I have family there....its the worst drive ever outside of west of Des Moines towards Omaha).

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Kermie
Beaver Pride

Quote:

That would be amazing. Maybe Sanford could build them an arena?

Kermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermie View Post
That would be amazing. Maybe Sanford could build them an arena?
Why the hell not? They're building everything else around this god-forsaken town. Like weeds.

Old
04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Kermie
Beaver Pride

Quote:
Why the hell not? They're building everything else around this god-forsaken town. Like weeds.
Exactly. I know they've got the Sanford Center in Bemidji, so why not in Fargo?

Old
04-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

Quote:
Exactly. I know they've got the Sanford Center in Bemidji, so why not in Fargo?
How many does it seat?

Besides the new arena is only like 4 years old or something. No way Fargo springs for another one right away.

Now maybe if they built in in Moorhead, like right off of Main avenue and I-94...

Old
04-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Kermie
Beaver Pride

Quote:
How many does it seat?

Besides the new arena is only like 4 years old or something. No way Fargo springs for another one right away.

Now maybe if they built in in Moorhead, like right off of Main avenue and I-94...
Sanford Center seats 4,700. I actually thought it should have seated more. Iirc it was a topic of discussion how big it should be.

Yeah, arena in Moorhead would be awesome. Plus it would be on the good side of the state border.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:17 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Reliable NonSequitur

Quote:
Sanford Center seats 4,700. I actually thought it should have seated more. Iirc it was a topic of discussion how big it should be.

Yeah, arena in Moorhead would be awesome. Plus it would be on the good side of the state border.
Yeah. Maybe MSUM could hit up Sanford for the cash they would need to start a D1 hockey program.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:26 PM
Kermie
Beaver Pride

Quote:
Yeah. Maybe MSUM could hit up Sanford for the cash they would need to start a D1 hockey program.
Since they can't buy the Fairview hospitals, I couldn't think of a better way to spend all that cash.

Old
04-07-2013, 10:10 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy10Beers View Post
Fargo? In the words of John McEnroe ... you can't be serious.

The only way they could average 5K fans per game in Fargo is if they offered a free all-you-can-eat-buffet after every game.
Buffet night in progress:

Hershey 10,021

Houston 6,750

Connecticut 4,540
Rockford 4,515
Worcester 4,373
Portland 4,356
Adirondack 4,075
Albany 3,832
Springfield 3,806
Abbotsford 3,667
Binghamton 3,542