HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Jimmy Howard re-signed for 6 years 5.3m per year

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-14-2013, 03:00 PM
  #276
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
I think you're missing his point. I think most people here agree that it's fair market value for him. Of course a few people don't agree that Howard is worth that but it's not the 5.3 alone that is the issue most people have -- it's the six years. Will he be worth that much years later? I don't believe in signing goalies for long terms because I've seen too many of them get hot for a year or two and then become mediocre.

Another point I want to make is that it's not the people who don't like the contract that are making a big deal of it. They are questioned about their opinion and then have to defend it, and then when they defend it people get the impression that they "care so much."
I'm not sold on the 6 years either, but I think Smith and Backstrom are worse than we're giving them credit for. Smith in particular is a fair bit worse than Howard. The list of comparables is not quite as, well, comparable as it might seem.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:03 PM
  #277
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
This is already a pretty bad team. If it gets worse, will Jimmy's numbers be the thing we're really concerned about? I doubt it. We'd likely be more concerned about the lack of talent and at least partially explain Jimmy's struggling with that fact.
My preference for rebuilding a bad team is to spend money on top centers and defense.

And save money on goaltending

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
  #278
Petes2424
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
what I find amusing is how the people that say that Howard isn't very good tend to also hold the opinion that pretty much everyone on the defense sucks and Babcock sucks etc

it's like....okay some of those things can suck,but all of them? why do the Wings give up so few goals then? 40 games of pure luck?
All you have to do is search back a year on this board and you'll see all the so-called expert opinion on here about how bad Ericsson and Kindl are and how they'd never be good. I'll bet it's the same people who are now ripping on Smith, etc.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
  #279
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
My preference for rebuilding a bad team is to spend money on top centers and defense.

And save money on goaltending
I think that's a perfectly reasonable preference. I just think spending money on Howard doesn't hurt the Wings much right now because we don't really have any top centers or defense to spend the extra money on. Or in Datsyuk's case, we won't soon.

I'd rather Howard get paid for all he's done than Fil get paid for doing so little. Maybe you could prefer neither, but I don't mind it this way.


Last edited by Guru Meditation: 04-14-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:05 PM
  #280
obey86
Registered User
 
obey86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,110
vCash: 500
The same people complaining Kenny isn't willing to may market value for players and always lowballs on his offers to players are likely the same people complaining about a Howard contract that is market value or slightly above market value.

Gotta love it.

The only thing that makes sense is when someone says they don't value the goalie position as a whole, like RWN is saying.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:16 PM
  #281
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I think that's a perfectly reasonable preference. I just think spending money on Howard doesn't hurt the Wings much right now because we don't really have any top centers or defense to spend the extra money on. Or in Datsyuk's case, we won't soon.

I'd rather Howard get paid for all he's done than Fil get paid for doing so little. Maybe you could prefer neither, but I don't mind it this way.
Filp was crucial to our cup win.

As poor as he's been this year, Flip's contribution to this team is much more than Howard's

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:17 PM
  #282
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
I'll bet it's the same people who are now ripping on Smith, etc.
I'll bet you are wrong.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:27 PM
  #283
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable
 
Guru Meditation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
As poor as he's been this year, Flip's contribution to this team is much more than Howard's
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think Flip has been especially poor and that Howard has been above average.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:14 PM
  #284
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
Filp was crucial to our cup win.

As poor as he's been this year, Flip's contribution to this team is much more than Howard's
A hot-and-cold 50 point winger is more important to this team than the goalie putting up a .920 SV% in front of a sub-par defense?

A winger who's put up 14 points in 34 games, a -6, while playing average defense at best has contributed more to this team this year than Jimmy?

C'mon now Bob...

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:16 PM
  #285
we like our team
Registered User
 
we like our team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
winning the cup with flip on the team 5 year ago is way more relevant and important than howard

we like our team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:40 PM
  #286
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,908
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
I have no problem with Howard and I think he's one of the better goalies in the league and just a tier down of who I consider the very good goalies (Lundqvist, Rinne, Quick). For instance, I think Rask is a very good goalie, but his team is built to make sure the goalies look really good, same with Chicago this year.

I don't think Rask or Crawford/Emery could've done as good of a job with Detroit as they have on their respective teams and I don't think they would've outperformed Howard. My problem is the contract itself, I don't think Howard (or very many goalies) are consistent enough to live up to that deal.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:41 PM
  #287
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
A hot-and-cold 50 point winger is more important to this team than the goalie putting up a .920 SV% in front of a sub-par defense?

A winger who's put up 14 points in 34 games, a -6, while playing average defense at best has contributed more to this team this year than Jimmy?

C'mon now Bob...
Good point, I didn't think of it that way...
Is not what you're about to hear.

But seriously, you're right.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:36 PM
  #288
lkleung007
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 32
vCash: 500
If Howard cannot steal a game for us tonight against the Preds...we should not resign him long term!!

lkleung007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:42 PM
  #289
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
A hot-and-cold 50 point winger is more important to this team than the goalie putting up a .920 SV% in front of a sub-par defense?

A winger who's put up 14 points in 34 games, a -6, while playing average defense at best has contributed more to this team this year than Jimmy?

C'mon now Bob...
I didn't say he IS more important

I said he his contribution to this team has been more important.

Jimmy Howard has done VERY little for this team.

What's his major accomplishment for the Wings thus far?

He might get us in as an 8 seed when we should be a 10 seed?

Flip played well enough as a second line center to get us a Stanley Cup.

This point was made in response to someone we should "reward" howard for his past performances.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:51 PM
  #290
The Nose
#FireHolland
 
The Nose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 6,473
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsNow View Post
I didn't say he IS more important

I said he his contribution to this team has been more important.

Jimmy Howard has done VERY little for this team.

What's his major accomplishment for the Wings thus far?

He might get us in as an 8 seed when we should be a 10 seed?

Flip played well enough as a second line center to get us a Stanley Cup.

This point was made in response to someone we should "reward" howard for his past performances.
Alright if you're talking about the past I get it, but not this year.

And no, Jimmy doesn't have any major accomplishments. But he's a damn good goalie.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
  #291
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
A hot-and-cold 50 point winger is more important to this team than the goalie putting up a .920 SV% in front of a sub-par defense?

A winger who's put up 14 points in 34 games, a -6, while playing average defense at best has contributed more to this team this year than Jimmy?

C'mon now Bob...

Before last year, Filppula was a very big contributor to this team for four straight playoffs.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:54 PM
  #292
kuick
Tatar Sauce
 
kuick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Grand Rapids
Country: United States
Posts: 2,701
vCash: 500
Are you really trying to compare the Detroit teams of the past 2-3 years to the team(s) that Filp played on during those Final runs?

Yeah, Filp was awesome back then but when has Howard even had the legit opportunity to show his playoff worth? Big difference in the supporting cast. Give him time.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:02 PM
  #293
sarcastro
Registered User
 
sarcastro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkleung007 View Post
If Howard cannot steal a game for us tonight against the Preds...we should not resign him long term!!
Cool, so it sounds like this issue has been settled for good.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:09 PM
  #294
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Cool, so it sounds like this issue has been settled for good.


Howard was great tonight. He's been great down this entire stretch.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:17 PM
  #295
icKx
What now?
 
icKx's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
Cool, so it sounds like this issue has been settled for good.
I like the way Snrub thinks!

icKx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:19 PM
  #296
Goalie guy
Registered User
 
Goalie guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Taylor MI
Country: United States
Posts: 957
vCash: 500
HMMM look's like Jimmy done okay tonight! brake away, penalty shot, and no goals against. is that good enough for you guys?

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
  #297
obey86
Registered User
 
obey86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
HMMM look's like Jimmy done okay tonight! brake away, penalty shot, and no goals against. is that good enough for you guys?
No. He should have scored more than 3 goals.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
  #298
detredWINgs
Registered User
 
detredWINgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,208
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
HMMM look's like Jimmy done okay tonight! brake away, penalty shot, and no goals against. is that good enough for you guys?
Making posts like this only invites knee-jerk responses when he has a bad game or lets in some soft goals. Obviously one game wouldn't be - and shouldn't be - "good enough" for any argument.


With that said, I like Jimmy's poise since the deal was announced. He's played 3 solid games, but more importantly in my opinion, his body language suggests more ownership over his game than I've ever seen from him before. Hopefully its a sign of maturity and not just a byproduct of the excitement from signing such a big deal.

detredWINgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:40 PM
  #299
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
In the most important part of the season, with playoffs on the line, Howard has a .940 SV% in the month of April over 7 games.

He responded amazingly well after that stinker at the end of March to Chicago.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM
  #300
GT500x
Im OK where we're at
 
GT500x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: My comfort zone
Country: United States
Posts: 2,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
Making posts like this only invites knee-jerk responses when he has a bad game or lets in some soft goals. Obviously one game wouldn't be - and shouldn't be - "good enough" for any argument.


With that said, I like Jimmy's poise since the deal was announced. He's played 3 solid games, but more importantly in my opinion, his body language suggests more ownership over his game than I've ever seen from him before. Hopefully its a sign of maturity and not just a byproduct of the excitement from signing such a big deal.
I think he's had a certain confidence and body language for a few years now. He wasn't the reason we lost the playoff series against the Sharks and Preds but because he didn't steal those games he gets... well, you know how it is.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.