HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Forum Lounge Thread (Home of All Things OT)

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2013, 01:58 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I dated a girl that went to Flo. I wasn't afraid of that area. Maybe I was just blind to it though.
Haha, it's not an area that's technically bad, just if you've lived there you'll see a massive difference. Hazelwood school district will probably go on probationary status in the next few years.

There are definitely some sketchy parts though that should definitely be avoided. I went to Hazelwood Central and honestly I'm sure there were a bunch of students that were in gangs that had guns in school. Fights happened almost everyday and drug deals were common.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Novacain

vCash: 500
Grew up in Hazelwood, went to West. Moved to Suburbia (St. Ann) a couple years back, and almost got hit (less then a mile from the line that went through). Now my old home gets hit.

Any deaths reported?

Old
04-11-2013, 02:09 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Yeah, my school had more guns/student, but it's not easy to sneak a 12 gauge in your pants. I'm aware of the quick changes in area though. I used to work on Market on the other side of Jesse Jackson Ave. That McDonald's on Lucas and Hunt was a treat...Especially the view from the drive through.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:10 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 130
Guns shots at Hazelwood Central-Hazelwood East/McCluer North are expected lol.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:12 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I dated a girl that went to Flo. I wasn't afraid of that area. Maybe I was just blind to it though.
It has its areas. Old town Florissant is still decent, but the property values are plummeting. First chance I get, I'm out of here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Haha, it's not an area that's technically bad, just if you've lived there you'll see a massive difference. Hazelwood school district will probably go on probationary status in the next few years.

There are definitely some sketchy parts though that should definitely be avoided. I went to Hazelwood Central and honestly I'm sure there were a bunch of students that were in gangs that had guns in school. Fights happened almost everyday and drug deals were common.
Hazelwood Central has gone to ****. They redrew the district lines and moved people around. Brought in some city kids even, which as we all know is just great for the learning environment Of course, it's still not as bad as Hazwlwood east . Talk about ghetto. That place has metal detectors all over the place. Every time there's a shooting involving high school aged kids, you can be assured at least one is from there. Matter of fact, thr last shooting involved a 20 year old junior(yes I said junior).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacain View Post
Grew up in Hazelwood, went to West. Moved to Suburbia (St. Ann) a couple years back, and almost got hit (less then a mile from the line that went through). Now my old home gets hit.

Any deaths reported?
No deaths reported right now. Sounds like there were some injuries, but I didn't hear of anything being super serious.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:33 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
It has its areas. Old town Florissant is still decent, but the property values are plummeting. First chance I get, I'm out of here.
Old Town will always be okay as long as Old Town Donuts is still in business.

I'm on the edge of Bridgeton and Maryland Heights and it's fine here. I wasn't home, and I had to reroute due to downed powerlines, but we clearly had strong winds. Some bent and broken limbs and small trees. Nothing like the hailstorm and tornadoes that have beaten up this area in the past couple years.

A friend in Florissant reported a good chunk of damage in the area. Last I heard, there weren't even any injuries.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:49 PM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
Old Town will always be okay as long as Old Town Donuts is still in business.

I'm on the edge of Bridgeton and Maryland Heights and it's fine here. I wasn't home, and I had to reroute due to downed powerlines, but we clearly had strong winds. Some bent and broken limbs and small trees. Nothing like the hailstorm and tornadoes that have beaten up this area in the past couple years.

A friend in Florissant reported a good chunk of damage in the area. Last I heard, there weren't even any injuries.
Old town donuts...drool. That place is amazing. My house and subdivision was basically untouched, except for one dogwood tree. But those are susceptible to a five mile an hour wind.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:40 PM
ManyIdeas

vCash: 50
Everything is nice and fine in O'Fallon.

No gunshots, either.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:52 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluff Master View Post
Hazelhood got hit hard. Luckily everyone I know is okay and so are their properties. Spring thunderstorms are one thing. Tornadic winds are another altogether and hope all is okay.

Also off topic, I was wondering if the Blues could have a thread to talk about whatever. Call it 'The Whatever Thread' lol. I see some other teams have it stickied and wondered if other Blues fans would want to do the same? Or should I just go to the lounge to post my non-hockey garble? Honestly curious here.
We'll give it a shot. Forum rules still apply, of course.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:08 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Rank your top seven Kubrick films. Mine:

1. 2001: A Space Odyssey
2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Paths of Glory
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. The Shining
7. Lolita

Old
04-11-2013, 04:11 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post

2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Paths of Glory
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. The Shining
7. Lolita
FMJ has always been a favorite of mine. Stickdeath.com stole some of the sayings that my dad had been screaming at me for years. Then, it clicked.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:11 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Quote:

2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Paths of Glory
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. The Shining
7. Lolita
Nice to see someone has seen Paths of Glory. I'd rate 2001 3rd and Strangelove first.

I'm not sure I've seen Lolita. I'd probably put The Shining ahead of Full Metal Jacket. Also glad to see the omission of Eyes Wide Shut.

Now the top 5 Woody Allen films:
1) Manhattan Murder Mystery.
2-5) other stuff

Old
04-11-2013, 04:28 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Nice to see someone has seen Paths of Glory. I'd rate 2001 3rd and Strangelove first.

I'm not sure I've seen Lolita. I'd probably put The Shining ahead of Full Metal Jacket. Also glad to see the omission of Eyes Wide Shut.

Now the top 5 Woody Allen films:
1) Manhattan Murder Mystery.
2-5) other stuff
Barry Lyndon and Spartacus also left off the list. Lolita is great. If you love Strangelove, you love Peter Sellers which means you'll like Lolita, which for 1962 was seriously taboo.

I almost put The Shining over Full Metal Jacket but the opening half of that movie remains one of the most iconic in the cinema. It was released in Platoon's shadow but it's both better and more iconic/memorable. And I think Platoon's a fine movie.

Paths of Glory is simply the finest anti-war film ever made. The final scene is one of the most perfect endings to a film I've ever seen. I've been trying for a few years to perfect my own Top 20, top 50 list of all time films (so ridiculously hard) but I guarantee you Paths of Glory is at least in my top 25. Strangelove is 11-15 and 2001 is my clear #1. I used to hate it but once I watched it in my 30s and understood it wasn't trying to be narrative, I understood it's the most conscious film I've ever seen. It's just a masterwork by a master craftsman, a deeply philosophical piece of art that asks us the central question about who we are as a species, and where we fit in the universe. Which is kind of the Kafkaesque experience of being a Blues fan sometimes.

Woody Allen:

Annie Hall
Manhattan
Crimes and Misdemeanors
Sweet and Lowdown

Old
04-11-2013, 04:33 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Ah, I remember watching Lolita now. I didn't realize that was a Kubrick film.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:38 PM
trevorftw
Voice of Reason

vCash: 200
Quote:
2. A clockwork Orange
3. Barry Lyndon
4. The Shining
5. Lolita
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Dr. Strangelove

Old
04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Ah, I remember watching Lolita now. I didn't realize that was a Kubrick film.
The 1962 version is. (They remade it in the 90s with Jeremy Irons but that was lame.)

Old
04-11-2013, 04:42 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

Midnight in Paris was surprisingly good. I'm not a big fan of Owen Wilson, but it turns out he was a good choice. Anyway, it was better than Woody trying to play the lead character. I remember (was it Curse of the Jade Scorpion) where he played opposite Charlize Theron, and it was just too much.

Old
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Sweet and Lowdown is a great flick. Sean Penn really pulls off how I picture Django Reinhardt if he were American. He also happens to be one of my guitar heroes so that was right up my alley.

1. Annie Hall
2. Manhattan
3. Crimes and Misdemeanors
4. Sweet and Lowdown
5. Take the Money and Run (classic!)
6. Radio Days
7. Hannah and Her Sisters

Old
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

No, I saw the Sellers one. That's what jogged my memory.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:43 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorftw View Post
2. A clockwork Orange
3. Barry Lyndon
4. The Shining
5. Lolita
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. Eyes Wide Shut
7. Dr. Strangelove
Big vote for Barry Lyndon! I saw it for the first time last summer. Maybe I need to watch it a few more times. It's visually decadent. The story just didn't seem very important to me. But I'm very open to argument.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:48 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

All right, how about best westerns of all time. I asked this on twitter and got a few more suggestions. I've seen most important westerns (I think) even if I haven't seen as many rank and file.

1. Once Upon A Time in the West
2. The Good, the Bad & the Ugly
3. Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
4. Unforgiven
5. The Searchers

What else could be nominated? Magnificent Seven, Wild Bunch, True Grit, original 3:10 to Yuma ...

Old
04-11-2013, 04:50 PM
superblues
:sarcasm: implied

Quote:

2. Dr. Strangelove
3. Paths of Glory
4. A Clockwork Orange
5. Full Metal Jacket
6. The Shining
7. Lolita
Not sure I've seen 7 Kubrick films, but:
1. Dr. Strangelove
2. A Clockwork Orange
3. Full Metal Jacket
4. 2001
5. The Shining
6. Lolita
7. Eyes Wide Shut

It appears that I have indeed seen 7 Kubrick films. Some thoughts...
- IMO, the brilliance of Kubrick as a director is not in his storytelling or cinematography, but in the performances he gets from his actors.
- I've seen 2001 at least five times, and while much of the film is nothing short of brilliant, if the entire film is considered, IMO it is significantly overrated by many.
- I like A Clockwork Orange and much prefer Kubrick's conclusion over the one written by Anthony Burgess in the novel. It could easily switch places with Full Metal Jacket, but I've never liked the jarring transition in FMJ between bootcamp and Vietnam, despite that I understand the juxtaposition.
- I wasn't paying much attention to Lolita when I saw it, but it had to be better than Eyes Wide Shut.
- I don't dislike Eyes Wide Shut, but it took a couple of watches before I could appreciate it. This is why I placed it last.

Last edited by superblues: 04-11-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old
04-11-2013, 04:51 PM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
Team ϶(o)ϵ

2. Full Metal Jacket
3. A Clockwork Orange

4. Lolita

5. The Shining

6. Eyes Wide Shut

Only Kubrick films I've seen.

Not a Woody Allen fan.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
The Note
Unable To Even

Two Mules for Sister Sarah. I watched that film so many time with my father growing up I can't even count it. Maybe not most important but definitely my favorite.

Old
04-11-2013, 04:59 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Teri Gross just had some author on for an hour talking about the Searchers. The story the movie is based on is pretty fascinating. John Ford was a brilliant dude.

Closed Thread