Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
Ovechkin time, baby!
Sweet

Old
08-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Oates2Neely

vCash: 500
I wonder with the bigger ice rinks in Russia if Lucic (& his trainer) are focusing on being lean, quick & explosive with an eye on making Team Canada? Is the possibility of skating for his Country motivating Lucic to train differently? He certainly looks leaner, and lost some of his upper body size, perhaps looking to stay a tad lighter?

Old
08-01-2013, 03:27 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I wonder with the bigger ice rinks in Russia if Lucic (& his trainer) are focusing on being lean, quick & explosive with an eye on making Team Canada? Is the possibility of skating for his Country motivating Lucic to train differently? He certainly looks leaner, and lost some of his upper body size, perhaps looking to stay a tad lighter?
In the BearTracks videos they're doing, they show him working out. He said he's always worked on speed and quickness (mostly in shot releases and the like) every offseason, and he's doing the same now.

I think his skating is underrated. He's certainly not the best, probably average, but he's not an overweight man walking around dragging a 50 pounds weight by a rope like most make him out to be. Getzlaf and Perry are both pretty slow, and they're almost shoe-ins to make the team.

You gotta think if Lucic makes it, he'll be with Bergeron, though. a 4th line of Lucic-Bergeron-Richards is extremely solid defensively, and really punishing physically. All of them are way above average offensively, too. He'd be able to keep up with both of them pretty easily.

Watch this video and tell me he sucks at skating.

I don't think he'll make the team. Maybe justly so, but he'll be one of the last cuts if he doesn't. No one plays the game like him. Not many can simply just take over a game in that fashion like he did in game 7 against Toronto. He had a bunch of limiting injuries in the 2011 playoffs, and the whole team just sucked in the 2012 playoffs. Other than that he's been absolute money in any clutch situation.

Old
08-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
In the BearTracks videos they're doing, they show him working out. He said he's always worked on speed and quickness (mostly in shot releases and the like) every offseason, and he's doing the same now.

I think his skating is underrated. He's certainly not the best, probably average, but he's not an overweight man walking around dragging a 50 pounds weight by a rope like most make him out to be. Getzlaf and Perry are both pretty slow, and they're almost shoe-ins to make the team.

You gotta think if Lucic makes it, he'll be with Bergeron, though. a 4th line of Lucic-Bergeron-Richards is extremely solid defensively, and really punishing physically. All of them are way above average offensively, too. He'd be able to keep up with both of them pretty easily.

Watch this video and tell me he sucks at skating.

I don't think he'll make the team. Maybe justly so, but he'll be one of the last cuts if he doesn't. No one plays the game like him. Not many can simply just take over a game in that fashion like he did in game 7 against Toronto. He had a bunch of limiting injuries in the 2011 playoffs, and the whole team just sucked in the 2012 playoffs. Other than that he's been absolute money in any clutch situation.
I agree with all your points. He just looks a lil lighter to me in recent pics and videos. Im just curious if it;s planned. I think he skates great for a big man. However ask yourself this, IF he doesnt make Team Canada, what would be the main reason?

Old
08-02-2013, 11:15 AM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I agree with all your points. He just looks a lil lighter to me in recent pics and videos. Im just curious if it;s planned. I think he skates great for a big man. However ask yourself this, IF he doesnt make Team Canada, what would be the main reason?
Competition, and review of some of his dumb*** mistakes and common terrible passes/decision. Not hating on Looch at all I love him on the Bruins, just saying.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:20 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinswillwin77 View Post
Competition, and review of some of his dumb*** mistakes and common terrible passes/decision. Not hating on Looch at all I love him on the Bruins, just saying.
I recall reading somewhere that skating ability in particular will be a main factor in deciding who makes the team. As I stated, I think Lucic skates extremely well for a big man/ power forward, but it may be his achilles heel here in making Team Canada. I think he'd be a good fit on the squad as he brings an element very few could add to Canada. Perfect on a 4th line in an energy role.

Old
08-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Dan the bruiser

Is skating at full speed is great but the problem is his acceleration so if he know it he will have the chance to make the team.Looch just have to attack the net with speed and already have accelerated.

Old
08-02-2013, 01:34 PM
Paddington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the bruiser View Post
Is skating at full speed is great but the problem is his acceleration so if he know it he will have the chance to make the team.Looch just have to attack the net with speed and already have accelerated.
This. Once he gets moving, Lucic can skate. It's the first 2 or 3 strides that give people the perception that he isn't a good skater. Having said that, I believe his overall skating has improved year over year.

Old
08-05-2013, 03:12 PM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

Does anyone remember why Lucic was lining up for faceoffs in Game 6? I just happened to be looking at the box score of the game earlier today and I noticed he took 9 draws and won 7 of them. I can't recall the reason... does anyone?

Old
08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
EverettMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
Does anyone remember why Lucic was lining up for faceoffs in Game 6? I just happened to be looking at the box score of the game earlier today and I noticed he took 9 draws and won 7 of them. I can't recall the reason... does anyone?
I just assumed Krejci was hurting.

Old
08-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

Quote:
I'm not sure. Maybe Krejci was hurt or he was just good at them. He's a lefty, strong side of the ice, maybe?

Old
08-06-2013, 11:25 AM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

Quote:
Wow that is pretty good. Maybe the B's didn't notice how well Looch did at faceoffs.

08-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
I'm not sure. Maybe Krejci was hurt or he was just good at them. He's a lefty, strong side of the ice, maybe?
Yep, Julien sticks to this more than any coach I've seen. When Kelly was injured last year, Julien would stubbornly send out Campbell almost every time for defensive zone faceoffs on the left side, despite the fact that Campbell was a bit over 40% at the time and Bergeron and Peverley were over 60%, with Krejci being just under 60% as well.

It's interesting to me that they didn't use Lucic more on faceoffs before this though if they knew he was actually good at it.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:46 AM
VeddarRants
HEART AND SOUL

For his career, Looch is around 45 percent at the dot, so it's not like they felt he was a secret weapon.

Krejci was struggling at faceoffs during the playoffs ( 45 percent ). He was either injured or maybe they felt Chicago was using strength and body size to win the faceoffs so the Bruins coaches countered with the biggest guy on the line. I do think it's interesting though and wonder if they'll have Lucic take faceoffs more going forward.

Old
08-06-2013, 11:54 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
When Kelly was injured last year, Julien would stubbornly send out Campbell almost every time for defensive zone faceoffs on the left side, despite the fact that Campbell was a bit over 40% at the time and Bergeron and Peverley were over 60%, with Krejci being just under 60% as well.
You don't think that had anything to do with the fact that both Kelly and Campbell are left hand shots while Bergeron and Peverley are both righties?

Old
08-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Trap Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto View Post
You don't think that had anything to do with the fact that both Kelly and Campbell are left hand shots while Bergeron and Peverley are both righties?
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Some teams will go to their go-to faceoff guys no matter what side but Julien would never do that.

Old
08-06-2013, 01:05 PM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

OK, I am convinced by the haters on this thread. Its easy to play like Lucic does, thats why there are so many players out there just like him right?

Old
08-06-2013, 03:53 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. Some teams will go to their go-to faceoff guys no matter what side but Julien would never do that.
Not to be argumentative, but I think what drives his decision making is more along the lines of what makes sense given where the puck is being dropped. If you're on the left side of the goalie in your d-zone and dropping the puck, a right-handed center is more likely to drag the puck towards the net which is not where you want to the puck to go. A left-handed center is more likely to drag it towards the corner, which is preferable.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:09 PM
wings5

Havn't watched many Bruins games. How has he looked this season? I heard he was working pretty hard in the offseason with the motivation of making Canada's Olympic squad.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:44 PM
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Havn't watched many Bruins games. How has he looked this season? I heard he was working pretty hard in the offseason with the motivation of making Canada's Olympic squad.
Best he's looked in ages. Over a PPG at the moment.

Old
10-24-2013, 08:48 PM
missingchicklet

Looch's start this season is a 180 of last season. His skating is looking effortless and fast. His passes are sharp. And he's finding the back of the net. Looch looks healthy and motivated. When he's at his best he gives a big shot in the arm to the Bs.

Closed Thread