HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Form and Substance

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
The problem is -- Kristo and Hudon likely won't be gone.

Neither are locks to make the NHL, but so is Petan.

Our 1st and 2nd might be extremely close.

Poirier has huge bandwagon lately. What's so amazing with him is how he progressed from last season. He was really slower than slow. Now his speed will pretty much be a neutral factor as far as NHL is concerned, and he looks fast in the Q.

No problem with Petan... but not with our first three picks.
You still draft for talent. Petan is a REALLY talented player (haven't seen him myself but scouts rave about his game), we have 4 picks in the first two rounds, I really don't see the harm in taking him with one of the 2nd rounders if he's still there. At any rate, i would exert caution since he seems to be playing on a line that clicks really well (as opposed to say, being far away the best player on his team), and historically speaking, when a line dominates to that extent, there's usually one player that stands out more than the others (see 05-06 London Knights, 06-07 London Knights, 05-06 Remparts, 04-05 Rimouski, etc..). My unfounded suspicion is that Rattie is that player, which may not seem apparent on the ice, because I PRESUME they benefit tremendously from playing together that it's hard to untangle the individual strengths of the players from the results on the ice. So yes, I might have been overzealous with my earlier estimation of his talent. I'm totally talking out of my ass if that wasn't clear enough.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:37 PM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
To help our current team, Free Agency this year is wonderful. You're definitely right about our prospects and younger core at the moment, few large or strong players, several smaller PMD-types, no one that you could see turning into a power forward or grinding player. Physicality doesn't stand out with any of our prospects except for Tinordi.
Josiah Didier, Darren Dietz, and Dalton Thrower are all standout physical defenceman. Didier and Thrower especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
The only position we are small right now is on defense, and it's because Emelin is out and Tinordi and Beaulieu are not yet in the NHL.

IMHO it would be dumb to just look for size early in any draft. Sign big UFA's or make a trade if size is an issue now.

I have no problem with Zykov, but I think part of the reason he does so well is that he is physically more advanced than his peers.
The Habs have the shortest average height in the league by more than two centimetres. Size on defence is certainly a need, a big one, but it isn't the only need.

There needs to be someone who can punish defenceman along the boards and forces them to double-take when trying to fetch a loose puck. The only player who forces defenceman to do that is Prust. Another need is forwards who can win puck battles. Size and physicality is a need that must be addressed immediately, both through the draft or trade/free agency. There are lots of big, draft eligible players who aren't afraid to hit and/or are hard to knock off the puck. With all the picks that the Habs have, I just hope they take a few.

Old
04-21-2013, 12:40 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansman View Post
Considering we pick appx 21st,Iwould package that with our 1st 2nd and aprospect to move up and draft Rasmus Ristolainen.Our 2nd from Nashville draft Ian Mcoshen.Our 2nd takes Tyler Hill.Dallas 3rd takes Michael McCarron,our 3rd Mason Geertsen.We have size and talent in those 5 picks.
Anyone else wondering why S bah has two accounts?

Old
04-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Treb

vCash: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
Not him, he didn't put a a the end

I can't wait for Timmins to scoop all the no reason fallers la Collberg

Old
04-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Hansman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
am not s bah

Old
04-21-2013, 03:06 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Will Mike McCarron be the biggest riser of the draft? To a point that we may not even have a chance to pick him in the 1st round? Mix of size and skills is surely intriguing for any team...imagine ours.

Old
04-21-2013, 03:58 PM
parachutist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Will Mike McCarron be the biggest riser of the draft? To a point that we may not even have a chance to pick him in the 1st round? Mix of size and skills is surely intriguing for any team...imagine ours.
Those guys are pretty rare so wouldn't surprise me if he's a 1st rounder. Same for Samuel Morin. Huge guys with skill, you gotta draft them high if you really want them.

Only watched one game but came away surprised by McCarron's skillset. Pretty good skater for his size, made a really nice behind the back pass on a rush. Certainly a project, but the powerforward upside is there.

I wouldn't be surprised if both are selected in the 1st round, but if not, then good for whoever gets them in the 2nd.

Old
04-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
De La Rose fits the mould, will keep an eye on Tyler Hill. Same offensive potential as Lucic or more of a 3rd liner?
Ive been told high end potential a 2nd liner, likely a 3rd liner 15-20goal type with high pim and hit stats....but my buddy whose scouting him said hes a 2-3 year project pick and that is what will make him drop a bit...because this draft is deep.

On another note, id like to see us take a late rd flyer on Mads Eller (yes, his brother)

Old
04-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Ive been told high end potential a 2nd liner, likely a 3rd liner 15-20goal type with high pim and hit stats....but my buddy whose scouting him said hes a 2-3 year project pick and that is what will make him drop a bit...because this draft is deep.

On another note, id like to see us take a late rd flyer on Mads Eller (yes, his brother)
Too bad we don't have our 5th.... He's not as big as Lars but seems to play with a little more physicality. He seems to be more of a role player without some of the high-end skills his brother has, though he still has offensive ability. Could still be a good player, has NHL potential at the very least.

Old
04-21-2013, 05:38 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansman View Post
am not s bah
Yes you are... No one else doesn't put spaces between the period and the first word of the next sentence.

Old
04-21-2013, 11:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Will Mike McCarron be the biggest riser of the draft? To a point that we may not even have a chance to pick him in the 1st round?
What exactly makes you say/think this? He's got 2 assist in 3 U-18 games so far.

Fasching and Compher are doing far better on the same team.

Old
04-22-2013, 12:51 AM
25get

Quote:
Too bad we don't have our 5th.... He's not as big as Lars but seems to play with a little more physicality. He seems to be more of a role player without some of the high-end skills his brother has, though he still has offensive ability. Could still be a good player, has NHL potential at the very least.
We don't have a 5th but we have three 2nd including two who are 34th and 37th right now.
I think we are going to be OK.

Old
04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
What exactly makes you say/think this? He's got 2 assist in 3 U-18 games so far.

Fasching and Compher are doing far better on the same team.
Not the same build at all. Against Russia, McCarron was the one winning puck battles along the boards. He played a lot that game. The times I noticed Compher were when he was on PK mostly, while McCarron was distinguishable every shift.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:12 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Morin with some struggles. Gauthier and Dauphin looked good.

Old
04-22-2013, 08:16 AM
niftymove

where can you see the game?

Old
04-22-2013, 09:14 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
The best

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Not the same build at all. Against Russia, McCarron was the one winning puck battles along the boards. He played a lot that game. The times I noticed Compher were when he was on PK mostly, while McCarron was distinguishable every shift.
Still, does McCarron have top 6 forward upside?

Old
04-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Treb

vCash: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24get View Post
We don't have a 5th but we have three 2nd including two who are 34th and 37th right now.
I think we are going to be OK.
He was talking about taking Mads Eller. Unless you're mad, you don't take Mads Eller in the second round.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:28 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
One game is not much to evaluate, but he has the tools IMO. Looking forward to watch him again.
If that's what you fear, I don't think he's Biggs 2.0.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 04-22-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old
04-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
If he's there with our 7th, use it. He aparently isn't ranked. So a 7th rd flyer would be fine. At least we know he's willing to try and live here.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:45 AM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Nastasiuk with a strong game against the Swiss this morning. 2 pts for him.

Klimchuk with a 3 pt game.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:30 AM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
McCarron has the upside but if his offensive talent doesn't come together, he is known for his defensive awardness. So he could be at least a good bottom 6 player with size. But he could become our Lucic if he reach his potential.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:36 AM
Dada

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
McCarron has the upside but if his offensive talent doesn't come together, he is known for his defensive awardness. So he could be at least a good bottom 6 player with size. But he could become our Lucic if he reach his potential.
Please draft talent before size

Old
04-22-2013, 11:03 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Russia vs Latvia u18 wjc is about to start in case anyone is interested. Latvia is 0-3.

http://88.80.5.80/w00t/20130422/vv51...03-567163.html

Old
04-22-2013, 11:12 AM
WeThreeKings
Sept 19th

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Really impressed with Andrighetto last night.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:17 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Morin with some struggles. Gauthier and Dauphin looked good.
What are the lines ? According to the stat page, goals/assists relations and time on ice, it would be like this:

Klimchuk-Reinhart-McDavid
Verhaeghe-Bennett-Nastasiuk
Laplante-Gauthier-Baptiste
Dickinson-Dauphin-Ritchie
Garlent

Heaterington-Bowey
Bigras-Theodore
Morrissey-McKoewn
Morin

Accurate ?

Closed Thread