HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-23-2013, 08:24 AM
le_sean

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
Bergevin on Collberg: “Top two lines. Top six. With a scoring touch and with character. …I saw him play in Finland in February. Throughout my career, I’ve never played with a bad Swede. They’re all great kids. They are. ”

From a post-draft interview Bergevin conducted. May just be rumour-mongering but that is some glowing praise for Swedish players. Perhaps we can expect to see more Swedish picks and scouting in the coming years? Collberg and Nystrom were very good picks in this last draft and we have several good Swedes available in the top-60.

Let me know how the game on TSN went!

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4366248/
I can definitely see Burakovsky interesting them with one of the high 2nds. He has a solid off ice work ethic and demeanor, something Timmins covets. Hopefully it's him over de la Rose, as he has much higher offensive potential than Jacob.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:37 AM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I can definitely see Burakovsky interesting them with one of the high 2nds. He has a solid off ice work ethic and demeanor, something Timmins covets. Hopefully it's him over de la Rose, as he has much higher offensive potential than Jacob.
I think people are a bit too impressed with his size (De la Rose). He is good around the net but he doesn't seem to have a great IQ. I think he will be a NHLer, but just not as good as HF think. And yeah, André has good hands and he has the killer instinct in the offensive end. He is a very dangerous player. Nylander is very small but he showed good things for a very young player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
It has been the McDavid show! what a player.

The draft elligible players I liked from that game :
Morin : Huge, mobile Dman. Good positioning. I really like his all-around potential and offensive skills.
Nathasiuk : Big powerforward that plays like one. Good hands. A little slow, but won't hold him back.

I wouldn't mind Gauthier, but he's a project.
I think it's safe to say that McDavid will be one of the best hockey player in the world. Often, young star are selfish with the puck. But McDavid takes what he has in front of him, he doesn't force plays and doesn't mind to make the little safe play. I really like Connor. He looks like futur elite playmaker. I hope he is drafted by a western team.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:44 AM
ccgg

One thing is sure with Morin, he must get heavier, like a lot. He tries to be mean, but he always fall on the ice. I'm probably alone, but I feel he is better offensively than defensively. He is a very good skater, good passer and he has a good shot. I know the Habs have Tinordi but I don't think he is enough. And I wouldn't mind drafting Morgan Klimchuk. He is able to follow the pace on the first line and he is gritty.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I stole your muppets photo...look kean as my facebook photo
It's awesome, hopefully we can get a couple of Borks in here come draft day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jee View Post
Would be nice to grab Fred Gauthier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
It has been the McDavid show! what a player.

The draft elligible players I liked from that game :
Morin : Huge, mobile Dman. Good positioning. I really like his all-around potential and offensive skills.
Nathasiuk : Big powerforward that plays like one. Good hands. A little slow, but won't hold him back.

I wouldn't mind Gauthier, but he's a project.
Gauthier is indeed a project. People have to keep in mind that this is his first season in the QMJHL. You worry about his offensive production but with his size and the fact that he's already produced to the extent he has as a rookie, good things may end up happening. There are a long list of players that truly break out after their rookie season, especially after having a growth spurt like this guy. He's got enough offensive awareness and ability that it'll come, whether he starts to use his size or not.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:58 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
One thing is sure with Morin, he must get heavier, like a lot. He tries to be mean, but he always fall on the ice. I'm probably alone, but I feel he is better offensively than defensively. He is a very good skater, good passer and he has a good shot. I know the Habs have Tinordi but I don't think he is enough. And I wouldn't mind drafting Morgan Klimchuk. He is able to follow the pace on the first line and he is gritty.
The easiest thing for a prospect to do between the time he is drafted to his NHL prime(22-25 years old) is add weight, especially someone as big as Morin. Tinordi has laready added 20+lbs in 3 years, I'm sure Morin will fill out to 225-235lbs in 5-6 years and be a physical beast.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:02 AM
Garp

Quote:
I agree with you on Morin and that's why I wouldn't mind the Habs drafting him in the first round.
He has a big frame, is physical (but needs to gain muscle) and has a good offensive instinct. I think he is going to be a good all-around Dman, a kind of prospect we don't really have in our system

Old
04-23-2013, 09:13 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
It's awesome, hopefully we can get a couple of Borks in here come draft day.

Gauthier is indeed a project. People have to keep in mind that this is his first season in the QMJHL. You worry about his offensive production but with his size and the fact that he's already produced to the extent he has as a rookie, good things may end up happening. There are a long list of players that truly break out after their rookie season, especially after having a growth spurt like this guy. He's got enough offensive awareness and ability that it'll come, whether he starts to use his size or not.
He showed good offense early on by putting up 16-35-51 in his first 43 games before slumping to 6-3-9 in his last 19 games. He was on an 80 point pace before Feb/Mar.

As you said he may have "hit the wall" in terms of playing his first year in Junior and not being used to the long grind. I think anybody saying his ceiling is #3 center is talking out their ass. He has similar offensive upside to a J.Staal or Benn.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:18 AM
le_sean

Quote:
I think people are a bit too impressed with his size (De la Rose). He is good around the net but he doesn't seem to have a great IQ. I think he will be a NHLer, but just not as good as HF think. And yeah, André has good hands and he has the killer instinct in the offensive end. He is a very dangerous player. Nylander is very small but he showed good things for a very young player.
That's the thing, I don't want the Habs to buy high on size, which is what I think a team will do with de la Rose.

Acquire skill, and if you're desperate later, trade that skill for size. Seems pretty logical to me.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:21 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
That's the thing, I don't want the Habs to buy high on size, which is what I think a team will do with de la Rose.

Acquire skill, and if you're desperate later, trade that skill for size. Seems pretty logical to me.
It's not like Burakowsky is small.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:50 AM
Draft

Quote:
Quote:

For me it's a bit of a trade-off if you pick a larger player with potentially limited offence. It goes one of three ways: they turn out and become a highly coveted power forward, they don't pan out as planned and become a solid 3rd/4th liner brought up within the organization or, they're a total bust. Highly talented offensive players are generally either quite successful or total busts, not much in between.

If we feel there's a better chance that Burakovsky turns out as expected, absolutely pick him. If he's too high of a risk, maybe consider the safer route.

Really liking what I'm hearing on Burakovsky though, seems like he could be a solid pick. The work ethic is there, like you said, and hasn't put all of his offensive tools together. Very Timmins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
It's not like Burakowsky is small.
Burakovsky is ~6'01 178, De La Rose is 6'2 188. I'd say it's playing style more than actual size that would factor in.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:10 AM
Mrb1p

At this point... I wouldn't even mind finishing last in 2015

Old
04-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
At this point... I wouldn't even mind finishing last in 2015
Is there a team that will likely be terrible in 2015 who's 1st we can trade for? I do it in NHL 13 alllll the time so it's bound to work in real life.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:44 AM
le_sean

Quote:
Is there a team that will likely be terrible in 2015 who's 1st we can trade for? I do it in NHL 13 alllll the time so it's bound to work in real life.
Sam Pollock would find a way.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:52 AM
Draft

Quote:
Sam Pollock would find a way.
Aging star: ~Markov
Team that I expect to be garbage in 2 years: San Jose, Detroit, maybe Vancouver based on how they deal with this offseason.

Markov to San Jose/Detroit for 2015 1st. Gives them both a chance to compete one last time. Throw in Desharnais and Moen.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Team that I expect to be garbage in 2 years: San Jose, Detroit, maybe Vancouver based on how they deal with this offseason.

Markov to San Jose/Detroit for 2015 1st. Gives them both a chance to compete one last time. Throw in Desharnais and Moen.
I hardly think those team will be in the basement.

A team I'd trade with is Dallas.

Old
04-23-2013, 11:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Don't forget the Red Wings are coming into our division as of next season

Old
04-23-2013, 12:00 PM
Draft

Quote:
I hardly think those team will be in the basement.

A team I'd trade with is Dallas.
Their prospects aren't exactly spectacular and I find it unlikely that their current players will be able to fill the shoes of Datsyuk/Zetterberg and Thornton/Marleau. They've both got a couple of good young players I suppose. Dallas also has a very bleak future.

It's kind of nice to have a lot of good young prospects and players.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Their prospects aren't exactly spectacular and I find it unlikely that their current players will be able to fill the shoes of Datsyuk/Zetterberg and Thornton/Marleau. They've both got a couple of good young players I suppose. Dallas also has a very bleak future.

It's kind of nice to have a lot of good young prospects and players.
Joe/Marleau are still fairly young and then they have players like Pavelski and Couture. Zetterberg is better than ever and he's only 32. Anyway, Dallas it is.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:07 PM
Draft

Quote:
Joe/Marleau are still fairly young and then they have players like Pavelski and Couture. Zetterberg is better than ever and he's only 32. Anyway, Dallas it is.
Fine.

Bob Gainey's in Dallas I think Aaron Ward could pretty much report this as a sure thing as far as I'm concerned. Somebody text him.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:20 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

Quote:

As much as I've loved to watch Markov play throughout his career, and I consider this season to be a good season for him considering the surgeries and the fact that he is no longer a young player, do you honestly think that Detroit, a team who's core impact players are getting older and older and will probably loose Pavel, Hank and Kronwall in the foreseeable future (2-3 years?) will trade their 1st round pick for Markov, who is 34, and who plays with a bad knee? How long do you expect Markov to continue playing? 2-3 years? SO not only would Detroit waste a 1st round pick, but they would also have Markov retire at the same time as their core players. Don't forget who runs the show in Detroit. Ken Holland is an impressive GM, wouldn't expect him to pull a move like that. Come on now, Markov is retiring as a Hab, that's it, that's all.

On a NHL Draft note, REALLY hoping we draft Subban. Imagine having the two brothers tear it up in 2-3 years? And everyone is quick to trade Price these days, imagine we ship Price to say...Philly? Phoenix? Calgary? Edmonton? for a couple of 1st rounders and a gritty 3rd-4th liner and then acquire Malcolm Subban with one of those 1st rounders and a mid-potential prospect. THEY WOULD RUN THE SHOW.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:35 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by daGreenGiant View Post
As much as I've loved to watch Markov play throughout his career, and I consider this season to be a good season for him considering the surgeries and the fact that he is no longer a young player, do you honestly think that Detroit, a team who's core impact players are getting older and older and will probably loose Pavel, Hank and Kronwall in the foreseeable future (2-3 years?) will trade their 1st round pick for Markov, who is 34, and who plays with a bad knee? How long do you expect Markov to continue playing? 2-3 years? SO not only would Detroit waste a 1st round pick, but they would also have Markov retire at the same time as their core players. Don't forget who runs the show in Detroit. Ken Holland is an impressive GM, wouldn't expect him to pull a move like that. Come on now, Markov is retiring as a Hab, that's it, that's all.

On a NHL Draft note, REALLY hoping we draft Subban. Imagine having the two brothers tear it up in 2-3 years? And everyone is quick to trade Price these days, imagine we ship Price to say...Philly? Phoenix? Calgary? Edmonton? for a couple of 1st rounders and a gritty 3rd-4th liner and then acquire Malcolm Subban with one of those 1st rounders and a mid-potential prospect. THEY WOULD RUN THE SHOW.
There were several of these involved.

Also we all talk about having Subban on the team. I've seen him play once. Who's seen him play and can give a good scouting report?

Old
04-23-2013, 12:49 PM
attachetatuque
un gros bonhomme!

I've seen various scouting reports. Although not as good as actually seeing him play a full game, it's a good start to paint the picture. Very similar to PK, appart from being less physical. Offensive upside, great skater, above average defensively. Better than PK at the same age, according to many.
http://thehockeywriters.com/welcome-to-subban-land/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFo4ZqGEXcY (and a better fighter apparently haha!)
I wouldn't be mad if we chose him in the 1st round, honestly. Character is a family trait, just look at the Staal brothers and the Schenn bothers. He might be more reserved than PK but is just as strong mentally.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Olympic Champion

vCash: 597
Caught the first 2 periods.

Canada looked unbelievable. Nastasiuk has to be on our radar. Morin also looked like a force. Heck, the whole team was good.

Burakowsky showed star like qualities handling the puck, he was breathtaking at times, but I felt there was something missing. Most of his rushes turned into nothing despite how fun they were to watch. Lack of hockey sense? Canada knowing how to play him? He succeeded once, with about a minute left in the 2nd, and it was spectacular. But I dunno...not sure this guy is going to make it. Would need to see him again.

DLR looks like a 3rd liner to me. Great compete level and willingness to head to the front of the net. But I don't see top 6 offensive upside.

Hagg was getting schooled by McJesus most of the time.

Old
04-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Got my issue of THN Draft Preview today, from my subscription (collecting purposes).

Much of the same, in the sense that it's more for the casual draft fan. Features the regular small bio's. At the same time keep in mind this is a $6 magazine, whereas the other ones cost much more, but for good reason.

If you're a hardcore draft/prospect junkie and you want in-depth scouting reports, stick with the other 5 on the main post here (personal favorites are McKeen's and Hockey Prospect):

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1340305

The THN rankings were compiled by HF's resident scout Grant McCagg who consulted with several people.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 04-23-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old
04-23-2013, 01:42 PM
le_sean

1st round? I'd be pretty pissed, especially when there will be bigger and better defencemen available. Of the same style, Bowey and Theodore come to mind. Both are better at this point.

You don't just reach for a guy because you like his brother.

Closed Thread