HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Nitehowl

vCash: 500
nice prospect profile on Kurt Etchegary up at TheHockeyWriters.

I keep changing my mind on who Habs should draft with the first 3 picks , was thinking take a few of the Russians Zykov,Buchnevich........

then thought MB has switched to Swedes lately so thinking Hagg / Burakowsky.

but maybe we should jump on the USA -McCarron/McCoshen/Lodge bandwagon..

but of course the 'Q' has to be in there so looking at Morin/Poirier/Carrier....

and you can't forget any good ol' Canadian kids so thinking what about Hartman/Rychel/Lazar

Wow it should be exciting times at the draft.. hoping MB can find one more 2nd round pick,that would be sooooo awesome!!!!

Old
04-26-2013, 11:22 AM
ChoseLa

Hartman ain't no good ol' Canadian kid though.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:28 AM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Silly mocks. I highly doubt Timmins would let Morrissey drop passed the Habs. I also doubt Lazar would fall passed them either, he's exactly the type of player Bergevin covets.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Hartman ain't no good ol' Canadian kid though.
LOL your correct...was rushing things in my head..

Old
04-26-2013, 12:00 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Buchnevich has a heck of a slapper. Best shot for the Russians.

McCarron is just always on the puck, and he's beating defenders quite easily with his reach and speed. He had a shift where the puck seemed to always find him. He would attack, then lose the puck, before retrieving it by backchecking hard, wash and repeat a couple times.

He just destroyed two Russians in a row who tried to check him, in physical battles he's unbeatable at that level, man amongst boys.

Last edited by QuebecPride: 04-26-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old
04-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Nice goal by Nichuskin, reminds me of Bobby Orr's goal they've replayed a 1000 times.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
Sportsnet has Plymouth @ London tonight. Game 5 with the Knights up 3-1.

Domi/Horvat/Zadorov/Hartman in action.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:43 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
I prefer the one from Kimelman's, but do we need another small forward like Domi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
He'd likely be BPA if he falls to 26, something I think is unlikely. You can always trade or sign size in the future. Not an ideal pick but would definitely be an option. With Erne and Lazar still on the board he might not get picked there. I think they're just bad projections all around.
If Gauthier or Domi are available when the Habs pick I'm sure he will be chosen. If the other one is available when they pick their first 2nd round player,the Habs will be tempted beyond control to get both.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wallach View Post
Scouts have historically placed way too much emphasis on these showcase events like the junior tournaments, top prospects games, etc.

I realize you get to see who steps up under pressure against their top peers, but small sample sizes are the death of scouts. I want the kids who show up consistently a la Gallagher.

(But I will say I'd be happy with Nastasiuk. A few of these U18 kids are dazzling right now)
I think you have it wrong. It's fans who put too much emphasis on these events. Scouts put a lot of emphasis on the whole body of work they have seen the last 2 or more years. Obviously showing the ability to dominate or be a top player in this type of even helps, but not every player is put in a role where they can put up big numbers.

Old
04-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
So many good "Q" players on display today!

Gauthier was the go-to center today, playing every other shift, taking the key faceoffs, killing penalties, was crashing the net and showing he has some real speed once he gets moving. Looks like he's coasting but I think it's an illusion. So big he can get to where he needs to be with one stride!

Morin is huge and such a good skater, so mobile and exudes calmness.

Dauphin is very smart, quick hands and elusive, one shift he kept the cycle moving for two minutes by himself and no one could pin him down.

Laplante is an ideal energy winger, works so hard and shows flashes of some real skill as well.

Habs have three late firsts, how many of these 4 will still be there?!
Morin and Gauthier are the only two players I'd look at with the 3 first picks. I like the other two also but not until the Habs 2nd or Dal 3rd. Laplante would be a nice 3rd rounder, his game reminds me of Burrows. Dauphin reminds me of Stepan in size skill and skating(average).

Old
04-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
I don't know about everyone else but.... I'm getting a pretty good feeling from Gauthier. Caught bits and pieces of the last game and was very impressed. If we treat him as we would a Samuel Morin or Jared Tinordi, I think he could develop into a very good player. He is a project but, with his size he makes for a near NHL ready prospect. So, If we could wait it out and develop his offensive and physical game I think he could become an important player for the Habs. It's not every day that a 6'04.5 200lb center from Quebec comes along. Truly hopes he drops in the draft or we can move up to get him.

Anybody with doubts or reservations? Not worth moving?
He's a solid project... Just not first round worthy for me. Picking him in the second would do wonders. Sadly, he will go early because he has 2-3 inches on similar players. He doesn't have enough upside for me to pick him there. At the very best a second liner ? What are the odds ?

Those mock are horrible. I'll die if Boston ends up with Lazar. DIE.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
He's a solid project... Just not first round worthy for me. Picking him in the second would do wonders. Sadly, he will go early because he has 2-3 inches on similar players. He doesn't have enough upside for me to pick him there. At the very best a second liner ? What are the odds ?

Those mock are horrible. I'll die if Boston ends up with Lazar. DIE.
Unless we move up 8-10 spots we won't be getting a guy with more upside. Unless you get a steal of a pick you usually won't get guys with 1st line upside after the 15th pick.

The way Gauthier has played the last 2 games I'm sure his stock is back up and he'll go top 20 so we'd probably have to trade up to get him. He could even go as high as early teens. Jordan Staal went #2 overall and his upside is no higher.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Unless we move up 8-10 spots we won't be getting a guy with more upside. Unless you get a steal of a pick you usually won't get guys with 1st line upside after the 15th pick.

The way Gauthier has played the last 2 games I'm sure his stock is back up and he'll go top 20 so we'd probably have to trade up to get him. He could even go as high as early teens. Jordan Staal went #2 overall and his upside is no higher.
I was higher on Staal than I am right now on G. I think everybody was.

A lot of players have better upsides than Gauthier in this draft, particularly. I'd even prefer Domi to him.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:34 PM
ccgg

Michael McCarron is very good around the net. He has a great speed for a gros bonhomme. Totally a second round pick. Will Butcher is a great playmaking QB on the powerplay. He is a great passer and he shots the puck well too. I don't think he will be there at the 6th round, but if he is, we must pick him. The 16 years old Kevin Labanc is a hell of a forechecker. He works very hard.

This American team lacks skills. They have a lot of two-way players, complimentary players, but no top offensive player.

One thing is sure, Buchnevich is good and Leshenkov is so fast !! Valeri Nichushkin has great physical tools. He is so big and strong but he is a fluid skater. He has a great shot too. But I question his IQ. Sometimes he looses the puck too easily and he isn't a great playmaker. He doesn't always makes the good decision, he looks a bit like Andrei Kostitsyn. I think that only with his tools he should become at least a second liner. There is many top-6 players in the NHL without a great IQ, but I don't think he will become an elite player as some people say.

Ivan Barbashev had a great season in the QMJHL and he is very good in the U18. He will be a player to watch at the 2014 draft for sure. He is in my early hope list for 2014 with Alexis Pépin and Nick Ritchie.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I was higher on Staal than I am right now on G. I think everybody was.

A lot of players have better upsides than Gauthier in this draft, particularly. I'd even prefer Domi to him.
A big part of the J.Staal hype was because he played OHL plus he was Eric's brother.

I doubt Domi is there at 25 either. He has more offensive upside, but for overall contribution they are pretty even, Guathier's size and 2 way play offset Domi's extra offense.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:40 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
A big part of the J.Staal hype was because he played OHL plus he was Eric's brother.

I doubt Domi is there at 25 either. He has more offensive upside, but for overall contribution they are pretty even, Guathier's size and 2 way play offset Domi's extra offense.
All I'm saying is I'd bet alot more cash on Domi becoming a top 6 forward than Gauthier. Gauthier has that kind of safe pick value, as he will probably make the NHL because he has the size, smarts and attitude to make it... But yet again his upside is not that high. If it was he'd go top 10.

Old
04-26-2013, 01:48 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
All I'm saying is I'd bet alot more cash on Domi becoming a top 6 forward than Gauthier. Gauthier has that kind of safe pick value, as he will probably make the NHL because he has the size, smarts and attitude to make it... But yet again his upside is not that high. If it was he'd go top 10.
Domi has a bigger downside though. If Gauthier doesn't max out his offensive potential he can still be a high end #3 center. Domi's offense is 80% of his game.

Neither guy will go top 10, I expect both around #17-18 +- 3-4 picks, so 15-21 range.

A player's value is not measured purely by offense. Most teams would prefer a 70 point guy that can win faceoffs, kill penalities and shut down top lines than an 80-85 point one dimensional skill guy.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:14 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
We kept hearing how Chipchura and Leblanc were safe picks. Sure fire NHLers. While it's true in most cases, it still makes for a bad selection.

In the first round you should pick a guy because his upside is that of a first liner, not because his downside is that of a third liner.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:41 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Morin and Gauthier are the only two players I'd look at with the 3 first picks. I like the other two also but not until the Habs 2nd or Dal 3rd. Laplante would be a nice 3rd rounder, his game reminds me of Burrows. Dauphin reminds me of Stepan in size skill and skating(average).
I wouldn't touch Gauthier...at least not in first round. He's not as offensive as Couturier. Look how he is struggling to score in NHL. First round forwards Gauthier's height...6'5"+ have a history of under achieiving. Their game don't translate well to NHL game ie. Anthropov, Boyle, Joe Colbourne be few examples. A defenseman or Paul Gaustad type, giant height don't seem to affect as much.

Since the Kostitsyn draft what they do in U18 has little bearing. It will throw you off...because most of the talent is in junior playoffs. They are playing against mostly never-will-bes.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

I really like Dillon Heatherington for one of our 3rd rounders. Today's game made it even more clear.

What a strong defensive defenceman he can become. Just so fundamentally sound and hard to play against. And he's huge.

Dauphin was quite solid today, that shift in the 3rd on the cycle was terrific. Definitely has solid hands. Gauthier was excellent in the 2nd and 3rd. Klimchuk constantly buzzes around the net and scores plenty of goals as a result.

Lehkonen also had a nice showing for the Finns. Saros looked really good in their net too.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:58 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I wouldn't touch Gauthier...at least not in first round. He's not as offensive as Couturier. Look how he is struggling to score in NHL. First round forwards Gauthier's height...6'5"+ have a history of under achieiving. Their game don't translate well to NHL game ie. Anthropov, Boyle, Joe Colbourne be few examples. A defenseman or Paul Gaustad type, giant height don't seem to affect as much.

Since the Kostitsyn draft what they do in U18 has little bearing. It will throw you off...because most of the talent is in junior playoffs. They are playing against mostly never-will-bes.
Gauthier is a better skater than Couturier. Part of Couturier's struggles is he was rushed a bit and now he plays a shutdown role at a young age, no easy feat.

Couturier had better junior numbers, but Gauthier is also a rookie in the Q having stayed in MAAA to maintain his NCAA eligibility so instead of being a 2nd year player this year he was getting used to a higher level a longer schedule.

Even if Couturier is a complete bust, you can't say "I won't draft a 6'4" center because player X is a bust" each palyer is different.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:08 PM
MarkovtoSubban

Shame the Russians couldn't hold that lead. Nothing better than a Canada-Russia gold medal game!

Was anticipating a Morin v Nichuskin match up, we'll see how the Canadian D holds up against the likes of McCarron and Fasching.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
We kept hearing how Chipchura and Leblanc were safe picks. Sure fire NHLers. While it's true in most cases, it still makes for a bad selection.

In the first round you should pick a guy because his upside is that of a first liner, not because his downside is that of a third liner.
Chipchura was a safe pick pre 2004 lock out, since then the pace of the game has increased and clutch and grab has decreased. I think if the draft was 2 years later Chipchura definitely goes in the 2nd round.

There are not 30 potential 1st liners in every draft, most years there are maybe 12-15 which you can reasonably expect to be 1st liners.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:53 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Sportsnet has Plymouth @ London tonight. Game 5 with the Knights up 3-1.

Domi/Horvat/Zadorov/Hartman in action.
My guide with videotron is saying they have the Blue Jays playing tonight on Sportsnet..

Old
04-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
My guide with videotron is saying they have the Blue Jays playing tonight on Sportsnet..
Sportsnet one has the OHL game.

Closed Thread