HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
  #951
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
No one can be delusional as a Leaf fan!

Habs have been needing a big center since forever...and one comes along out of QC with skill, smarts, vision, every skill required...they have been waiting as long for one of those as the Leafs have for a cup.

The real problem is that his name reminds everyone of the most unpopular Habs GM since...Grundman?
Actually we have two of them now, the search is over

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:30 PM
  #952
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
But to move in the top 20 to take him is dumb. There's much better than him in the top 20.(Albeit probably smaller and not french.)
I, also, wouldn't move up to get him simply because I think he'll be gone by the 15-18 slot. It would cost a pretty penny to move from 27-30 to 15-18.

onice is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:31 PM
  #953
onice
Registered User
 
onice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Actually we have two of them now, the search is over
A third one wouldn't hurt - especially if he'll only get to the show in two - three years.

onice is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:45 PM
  #954
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,510
vCash: 500
Big center is the the hardest one ro get. Not that i'm a huge fan of Gauthier, but i'm a big fan of his attributes: big, defensivly reponsible, offensivly gifted and close to NHL lock. Pretty sure the Habs are looking at him.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
  #955
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Big center is the the hardest one ro get. Not that i'm a huge fan of Gauthier, but i'm a big fan of his attributes: big, defensivly reponsible, offensivly gifted and close to NHL lock. Pretty sure the Habs are looking at him.
They would be dumb to not look at him.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 10:51 PM
  #956
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,510
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
They would be dumb to not look at him.
Just my lack of english communication skills, i mean i'm pretty sure they are staring at him in a creepy way.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:17 PM
  #957
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,071
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
Big center is the the hardest one ro get. Not that i'm a huge fan of Gauthier, but i'm a big fan of his attributes: big, defensivly reponsible, offensivly gifted and close to NHL lock. Pretty sure the Habs are looking at him.
He's worth following closely considering where the Habs will draft, but this draft could be semi-unpredictable after the top 10 or so, but I don't think chasing a "big center" is a priority anymore unless they are a clear upgrade on Eller or have a notable mean streak. Gauthier could still be BPA but it depends what they think his offensive upside is.

But I hope they don't obsess over size as more than just one factor.

Et le But is offline  
Old
05-01-2013, 11:27 PM
  #958
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He's worth following closely considering where the Habs will draft, but this draft could be semi-unpredictable after the top 10 or so, but I don't think chasing a "big center" is a priority anymore unless they are a clear upgrade on Eller or have a notable mean streak. Gauthier could still be BPA but it depends what they think his offensive upside is.

But I hope they don't obsess over size as more than just one factor.
More so, for soft-size.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 06:55 AM
  #959
Marc-E-
Registered User
 
Marc-E-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Montréal, Québec
Posts: 1,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I wouldn't touch Gauthier...at least not in first round. He's not as offensive as Couturier. Look how he is struggling to score in NHL. First round forwards Gauthier's height...6'5"+ have a history of under achieiving. Their game don't translate well to NHL game ie. Anthropov, Boyle, Joe Colbourne be few examples. A defenseman or Paul Gaustad type, giant height don't seem to affect as much.

Since the Kostitsyn draft what they do in U18 has little bearing. It will throw you off...because most of the talent is in junior playoffs. They are playing against mostly never-will-bes.
This. Totally agree. Boys who's having mens bodies, don't translate well in the big show.

Marc-E- is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 07:16 AM
  #960
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 22,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
He's worth following closely considering where the Habs will draft, but this draft could be semi-unpredictable after the top 10 or so, but I don't think chasing a "big center" is a priority anymore unless they are a clear upgrade on Eller or have a notable mean streak. Gauthier could still be BPA but it depends what they think his offensive upside is.

But I hope they don't obsess over size as more than just one factor.
Well, we need four centers, not only one...

MXD is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 08:28 AM
  #961
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
Well, we need four centers, not only one...
We won't draft a fourth line center in the first round

Ginu is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 08:32 AM
  #962
MaxLacoste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 220
vCash: 500
Montreal have the luxe to take the BPA because we already have a cornerstone at every position. We have a #1 center (Galchenyuk), a #1 Defenseman (Subban) and a #1 goalie (Price), all under 26. Timmins doesn't have to find something in particular, except players that will reach the NHL and will fit under the team work ethic.

For me, our deepest NHL position is Center (Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanek, Desharnais). We need wingers and defensemen. The last strech of the season was the proof that we have a need for big stay-at-home d-man. Samuel Morin could be a good choice at 1st or early 2nd. Up front, we need a true enforcer, McCarron and Hill being good choice to fill that void. But we can go for smaller players like Domi and Petan (personnal favorite) because in 2-3 years, Gionta, Desharnais, Bouillon will be gone so we will not be a small team.

MaxLacoste is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 08:48 AM
  #963
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
No one ever labeled him a shutdown C... We question his upside.
He showed he can put up offense with the best of his age group at the U18, had his best games in the semi and finals.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:21 AM
  #964
Top Corner2
Registered User
 
Top Corner2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLacoste View Post
Montreal have the luxe to take the BPA because we already have a cornerstone at every position. We have a #1 center (Galchenyuk), a #1 Defenseman (Subban) and a #1 goalie (Price), all under 26. Timmins doesn't have to find something in particular, except players that will reach the NHL and will fit under the team work ethic.

For me, our deepest NHL position is Center (Galchenyuk, Eller, Plekanek, Desharnais). We need wingers and defensemen. The last strech of the season was the proof that we have a need for big stay-at-home d-man. Samuel Morin could be a good choice at 1st or early 2nd. Up front, we need a true enforcer, McCarron and Hill being good choice to fill that void. But we can go for smaller players like Domi and Petan (personnal favorite) because in 2-3 years, Gionta, Desharnais, Bouillon will be gone so we will not be a small team.
well some might argue that you need an elite power forward to win the cup. We have Patches, but I think many here are hoping for something bigger & meaner!

Top Corner2 is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:25 AM
  #965
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
He showed he can put up offense with the best of his age group at the U18, had his best games in the semi and finals.
And it's about the tenth time you say this... Gauthier as limited upside. He's a floater. Yes he can be good at times, but for the moment he's a floater, I'm not moving up in the draft for that kind of player.

If he had first line potential he'd go top 10, sadly he won't and he doesn't.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 09:43 AM
  #966
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
And it's about the tenth time you say this... Gauthier as limited upside. He's a floater. Yes he can be good at times, but for the moment he's a floater, I'm not moving up in the draft for that kind of player.

If he had first line potential he'd go top 10, sadly he won't and he doesn't.
My definition of a floater is a guy that stays close to his blueline hoping for a pass and a 2 on 1 or breakaway. Gauthier if anything cheats to the defensive size of the puck before thinking offense.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
  #967
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
My definition of a floater is a guy that stays close to his blueline hoping for a pass and a 2 on 1 or breakaway. Gauthier if anything cheats to the defensive size of the puck before thinking offense.
He appears to be floating because he glides everywhere, then you realize he's adjusting his position to stay on the right side of the puck with minimal movement. His size and reach also allows him to not skate as hard as someone smaller needs to.

When he starts to get in on the forecheck more then watch out!

I took him in the mock so feel like I have to defend him

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
  #968
gillyguzzler
Registered User
 
gillyguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
My definition of a floater is a guy that stays close to his blueline hoping for a pass and a 2 on 1 or breakaway. Gauthier if anything cheats to the defensive size of the puck before thinking offense.
For those who have seen him play many times, they know that Gauthier, for a 17 year old, is, as you say, very responsible defensively and is not a floater. It seems some have an anti-Quebec bias for this draft... the first in a long time when quality Q players abound.

Gauthier will likely go between 15-20. Mantha should go between 10-20. Morin? Button has him around #10 but I'm thinking late first.

gillyguzzler is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:16 AM
  #969
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
There were 8 players from the Q taken in the first round of the mock.

-Drouin
-Mackinnon
-Zykov
-Fucale
-Erne
-Mantha
-Gauthier
-Morin

Modern day record?

TinordiandSubban is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:17 AM
  #970
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
For those who have seen him play many times, they know that Gauthier, for a 17 year old, is, as you say, very responsible defensively and is not a floater. It seems some have an anti-Quebec bias for this draft... the first in a long time when quality Q players abound.

Gauthier will likely go between 15-20. Mantha should go between 10-20. Morin? Button has him around #10 but I'm thinking late first.
I think NHL teams will draft Gauthier(15-22) and Morin(21-30) higher and Mantha(22-30) lower than most fans think. Mantha is a solid prospect, but a bit one dimensional plus he is late birthday as he was only a few days from being 2012 eligible.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:20 AM
  #971
yianik
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,902
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-E- View Post
This. Totally agree. Boys who's having mens bodies, don't translate well in the big show.
I don't know if Id say that just because a guy is a big body at junior he wont translate well to the NHL. I think the issue is that you have to be careful that a big kid who is putting up points in junior isn't just doing so because he is a big kid. Great example is Shane Doan and Terry Ryan. Both of these guys were big, played physical and put up points in their draft year. Doan was taken 7th and Ryan 8th by us. Doan has had a great career as an NHL power forward and Ryan was a bust. Ryan couldn't skate, which didn't stop him from piling up points by using his size and strength in junior, but his lack of skating ability kept him from an NHL career. Doan had the skills, including skating ability, as well as size and grit .

yianik is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:31 AM
  #972
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
My definition of a floater is a guy that stays close to his blueline hoping for a pass and a 2 on 1 or breakaway. Gauthier if anything cheats to the defensive size of the puck before thinking offense.
That's not a floater. I'm referring to someone that just goes on the ice and glides and never touches the puck. That's a floater, and it was Gauthier more often than not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinordiandSubban View Post
He appears to be floating because he glides everywhere, then you realize he's adjusting his position to stay on the right side of the puck with minimal movement. His size and reach also allows him to not skate as hard as someone smaller needs to.

When he starts to get in on the forecheck more then watch out!

I took him in the mock so feel like I have to defend him
He appears to be floating because he can go 10 shifts in a row without touching the puck or keeping possession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
For those who have seen him play many times, they know that Gauthier, for a 17 year old, is, as you say, very responsible defensively and is not a floater. It seems some have an anti-Quebec bias for this draft... the first in a long time when quality Q players abound.

Gauthier will likely go between 15-20. Mantha should go between 10-20. Morin? Button has him around #10 but I'm thinking late first.
I've seen him play many times, thats why I don't particularly like him. Same with Mantha. It's not about my negative bias against player from QC, its about you positive bias for big players from QC. In this draft, Gauthier is a dime a dozen player, so is Mantha. There's no need to get crazy over him.

This feels like the Grigorenko fad all over again.

Mrb1p is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:33 AM
  #973
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,794
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I don't know if Id say that just because a guy is a big body at junior he wont translate well to the NHL. I think the issue is that you have to be careful that a big kid who is putting up points in junior isn't just doing so because he is a big kid. Great example is Shane Doan and Terry Ryan. Both of these guys were big, played physical and put up points in their draft year. Doan was taken 7th and Ryan 8th by us. Doan has had a great career as an NHL power forward and Ryan was a bust. Ryan couldn't skate, which didn't stop him from piling up points by using his size and strength in junior, but his lack of skating ability kept him from an NHL career. Doan had the skills, including skating ability, as well as size and grit .
The one kid I would be concerned about in terms of what you said about Ryan...Zykov. He is big and strong and drives the net and can finish...but with average speed and no longer being bigger(210-215lbs) than his opponent will his game translate to the NHL?

Gauthier relies on smarts, vision and hockey sense along with above average size...however his body is still a lot more raw at 6'5" 210lbs than Zykov at 6' 210-215lbs. Plus Gauthier has a nice skating stide which could translate to above average(Eller like) speed for a big man.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:47 AM
  #974
SgtPepper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 17
vCash: 500
We have a lot of players who are able to distribute the puck, but few able to score ala Ryder (aka pure goal scorer 30+). In the upcoming years, our finishers should be Gally and Patches, I would like more in the pipes.

Who, in your opinion, are the best pure scorers in this draft, and who could be avalaible in late 1st round and early 2nd ?

Thank you

SgtPepper is offline  
Old
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
  #975
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,794
vCash: 500
Willy Palov ‏@CH_WillyPalov 7m If you read French, interesting item from @jfplante_Droit on Benoit Groulx comparing Jonathan Drouin to Claude Giroux http://blogues.lapresse.ca/plante/20...nathan-drouin/

Monctonscout is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.