HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > EA Sports NHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

EA Sports NHL Discussion forum for EA Sports NHL video games.

** NHL 14 Thread **

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
I'm so very underwhelmed.

Can't wait for NHL15 on PS4 though!
Likewise. I'm not expecting much of a change in gameplay. I truly hate the body contact physics in this game. In NHL '13, a player can be at a standstill and send a player flying with a check that defies physics. Seems like a waste of money for a slight update. I'm sure most of their resources are being put into next-gen, so I would think twice before plunking money down for NHL '14.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:09 PM
GTopCheese

How about real hip checks? That'd be nice.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Tad McMikowsky
Retired

Be a pro looks cool, finally some depth.

So far, gameplay looks nearly identical, with probably the same lame duck menus and presentation.

Cool fighting has reamped. Fighting is useless in the game as is, so it's like polishing a turd in that regard.

no mention of overhaul of the pathetic Be a GM, especially with the stupid Gm Rep.

I can't say I was let down, because I wasn't expecting much.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:04 PM
FrozenJagrt

Want to talk about hitting physics? Check out the hit at around the three minute mark in this video. This highlight was taken from NHL 12

Old
04-16-2013, 05:18 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
Want to talk about hitting physics? Check out the hit at around the three minute mark in this video. This highlight was taken from NHL 12

Hits like that happened quite frequently in NHL 13 as well. My friend launched Crosby a good 5-6 feet in the air before.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:20 PM
FrozenJagrt

I am fairly excited about the "Live the Life" thing, but I won't get my hopes too high. I expect baby steps, it'll likely still feel pretty hollow. Something half way between 24/7 and MyPlayer in the 2K series.

Remember, the last big "changes" in BaP were entering the draft and CHL. Honestly, neither of those things made the mode much better. When it was first introduced, it was the mode I played the most. The last few years, I spend more time playing exhibition games. I would love for them to pull out all the stops and do what NBA did. Sponsorships, trade demands, contract negotiations, billboards and magazine covers, press conferences, sit-downs with the GM to discuss teammates or who to trade for to improve the team, Hall of Fame progress, player of the week/month. Those things made the NBA version feel so real, there were incentives to keep playing. Not many details have surfaced other than interviews and teammate interractions, I really hope there is a lot more to it than just those two additions.

To address a couple comments I've seen in this thread. There was someone who made some snide comment about using the Fifa collision system, something along the lines of "Fifa? Of all the sports". Whoever said that, have you ever played a Fifa game? That series along with the Fight Night series are the pinnacles of collision detection in sport gaming.

One person said they wished 2K would come back to push EA to make a better NHL game. Seems to me that person doesn't remember why 2K gave up on hockey in the first place. EA so thoroughly stomped them into the ground that they bowed out in shame, their games (with the exception of 2K5) were horrendous.

One more addition to the game that I would like to see is All-Star weekend, another thing that 2K did very well with in the NBA series. I loved taking my player to the three point and dunk competitions, those were so fun. And the NHL has even more competitions, it could be a blast.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Deku
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTopCheese View Post
How about real hip checks? That'd be nice.
Once in NHL 13, I was playing a friendly online match against my friend. I hip-checked him, and his player flew up six feet in the air, spun as if he was rolling, and then landed perfectly on his feet. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen in a hockey game, but sadly there was no replay of the hit.

To sum things up, I agree with you that hip checks need to be fixed

Old
04-16-2013, 10:38 PM
ki11joy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace14 View Post
One person said they wished 2K would come back to push EA to make a better NHL game. Seems to me that person doesn't remember why 2K gave up on hockey in the first place. EA so thoroughly stomped them into the ground that they bowed out in shame, their games (with the exception of 2K5) were horrendous
2K didn't make bad hockey games. The problem was A) that their default settings were pretty crap and forced people to mess around with them in order to get a realistic game, B) their budget on the NHL games was much, much smaller than EA's, resulting in less marketing and uglier graphics, and C) EA focused on the fun, casual market. Big hits, highlight reel goals, crazy dekes, those are all fun and appeal to the casual fan, even if they aren't entirely realistic.

The average consumer doesn't want to spend any time messing with the sliders, so they'll go to the prettier looking game that plays a fun experience right out of the box. That average consumer also makes up the majority of game reviewers. Out of the box, 2K was a hot mess, especially with 2K8. 2K8 had perhaps the best control scheme that gave you full reign over your player. The problem was that it was way too complicated for game reviewers. And instead of going into the options and changing it to the basic control scheme, they gave up, gave it a poor rating, and praised EA's skill stick. It's simple, but ultimately very basic compared to what 2K8 and even 2K10 are capable of, especially on the defensive side of things. Unfortunately, 2K didn't take this into consideration when making their Pro Stick the default control scheme. With 2K9, they tried to cater to that casual market and just ended up looking like a cheap copy of EA's game.

In summation: 2K looked uglier, but played a lot better...after you spent hours perfecting the sliders for realistic game play, or went to 2khockey.net to try someone else's. In many ways, 2K did themselves no favors. And their budget was already miniscule compared to EA's NHL, and even to NBA 2K. Had they fully committed, development-wise and budget-wise, to a realistic experience (like the NBA team did) instead of trying to have it both ways and catering to the casual market that EA dominates, maybe things would be different.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:51 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Bring back Dynasty mode... No more of this Be A GM crap... Being back what you had on NHL 2004-2008 in terms of dynasty mode... (PS2/XBox)

Old
04-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Hampe
[spoons rattling]

Live the Life sounds interesting, but if EA has taught me anything, it's to never get my hopes up.

LTL could be really awesome, or it could just be BAP with a shiny new name and a bunch of broken features. We'll see.

Old
04-17-2013, 03:44 AM
Ralph
Stevehead.

EA couldn't even make a satisfying Cup finale, I doubt the mode will be anything but a crappy system through a Blackberry.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:54 AM
Oilers4life1987

Hopefully they allow for players to get kicked out of the face-off circle if trying to cheat too much.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Twine Seeking Missle
Go monkey go!!!

Not only do I buy these games on a yearly basis, I am one of those guys that HAS to have the game the day it comes out.

This year? Unless something truly mind blowing is added (it will most likely be more of the same), I don't see myself getting this game at all. Really wish they just held back the release 2 months for the next gen systems. Once the PS4/next xbox comes out, I am sure my gaming time will be occupied with those. Very disappointed I will have to wait until September 2014 to play some next gen hockey.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:33 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Hopefully they allow for players to get kicked out of the face-off circle if trying to cheat too much.
But then they'd have to allow you to cheat before the puck is dropped for you to ever actually see it.

Anyway, Live the Life sounds like it could be awesome. Hopefully they don't screw it up.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:11 PM
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW

Hahahaha - EA pulls this every year, cool camera angles in the trailer won't fool me. Some things to note from that brief 3 minute clip:

- the tunnel walk pre-game is still the same, down to the camera angle which leads me to believe that is untouched
- to go with the above, if the presentation is untouched, we probably still have the same NHL 06 Stanley Cup celebration
- goalies are still making that jumping save in which they jump but still glued to the same spot on the ice
- hitting is more or less exactly the same just from SICK ANGLEZ
- animations/gameplay are more or less exactly the same
- on that backhand pass (which was cool), you can see the defenseman crashing into each other with no real physic. just awkwardly skating into each other like an invisible wall

Live the Life sounds cool though, I'll give it that.

Old
04-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Christmas Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

vCash: 50
Hopefully you don't need to play full 20 minute games this time around in Be a pro/live the life.

Old
04-17-2013, 04:07 PM
WhoahNow

Is this the year that EA could use new play by play annoucers? I cant remember if its this year or the next that Bill Clement & Gary Thorne's contracts are up (pleeease let there be new announcers or bring back Jim Hughson).

Old
04-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Calirose

NHL 14 Cover?

Who do you think will win the vote?

Yakupov, Kadri, Tim Stapleton? Malkin?

Old
04-17-2013, 05:39 PM
Tyler Durden

Sergei Bobrovsky!

Who are all the players that the fans can vote for?

Old
04-17-2013, 07:30 PM
TychoFan

vCash: 366
Wow weird coincedence, I didn't notice this thread but I started one like this in the general thread. o.o

Old
04-17-2013, 07:59 PM
Snipeshow

If EA doesn't do anything special this year they could get a LOT of casual fans skipping this game due to the Next-Gen consoles coming out a couple months later.

Hopefully that encourages them to put out something that doesn't look like NHL 13.5

Old
04-17-2013, 08:29 PM
Semin

For Xbox 360 I wish they would make the Y button like a soft chip or something. I hate when I am in the O-zone and I make a little saucer to sort of chip it in the corner for a line change and such and told "watch the turnovers" or whatever. Truly annoying.

Also would make things easier in the D-zone for getting pucks off the glass and out. Could be a great away to create odd man rushes.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Metalcommand

I am ready to pay 60 euros for this game if they half the simulation speed. It is utterly ridiculous and borderline unplayable. Way to go EA! This year you suckers wont be getting my money Instead I will play my modded NHL 04 on the PC and have more fun than with any title you have made in many years. Hire the people that made that game!

At the same time it is challenging AND fun! Not like NHL 13 where you just feel like you are trying to run in a swamp.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:34 PM
tututooter21

I'll buy this because I probably won't even be getting a PS4 until late 2014 (Unless the price of a PS4 is cheap [anyone know what the expected price is?])

Old
04-17-2013, 11:50 PM
n00bxQb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
But then they'd have to allow you to cheat before the puck is dropped for you to ever actually see it.

Anyway, Live the Life sounds like it could be awesome. Hopefully they don't screw it up.
Uh, that's all anyone does for like the last 2 years is cheat on faceoffs.

Closed Thread