HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Round 1 matchup

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 08:43 AM
Mike Liut

vCash: 50
Round 1 matchup

We are on a collision course with LA. The only hope is to keep winning and gain the 4 seed for HMA.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Alklha

vCash: 868
The Sharks are a point behind LA with an extra game to play. I think we'll manage to grab 4th spot, then it is 50/50 who we play in the first round.

I'm not really bothered who we end up with.

Old
04-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

vCash: 500
I still think the best case scenario is to grab San Jose in the first round some how.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:21 AM
SirPaste
Use The Schwartz!

LA is the only team I dont want to play, but if we do so be it. Most likely gonna have to get past them at some point anyway.

Old
04-10-2013, 09:32 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

It's bunched up hard:

4. STL +8, 38gp
5. SJ +8, 39gp
6. LA +8, 40gp
7. MIN +7
8. DET +4
9. DAL +2
10. PHX +1, 39gp
11. CBJ +1, 40gp

Bizarrely, if those positions held except Phoenix caught Detroit, there would be three first round matchups identical to last year.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Mike Liut

It's going to be an interesting finish for sure. Lots of possibilities. I'm still predicting Blues vs LA unfortunately.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:22 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Took a quick glance at the remaining schedules of the 4-7 teams and Los Angeles will likely not fall out of either the 4 or 5 seed, San Jose seems poised to fall back (horrible road team, still have LA at home), Blues seem poised to surge and have games in hand, and Minnesota has a chance to make a move up by feasting on their horrible division (5 of final 9 against EDM, CGY, COL) down the stretch. Though they won't catch Vancouver for the division.

So, the nightmare scenario some of us talked about a month and a half ago in another thread when Anaheim stormed out to a huge lead in the division could easily come to fruition: STL opening up in LA.

Minnesota is really the only team that could "save" us if they get super hot. And they aren't playing well.

My prediction 1-7:
1. Chicago
2. Anaheim
3. Vancouver
4. Los Angeles
5. St. Louis
6. Minnesota
7. San Jose
8. ?

West is brutal again so any first round draw would be tough but if the West goes through LA, I would've just preferred it be later in the playoffs b/c that series will take so much out of the Blues even if they win. And they'd still have to win 12 games. Would be daunting way to open the playoffs.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:44 AM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

vCash: 300
Instead of going probable like I tend to do, I prefer to hope that it lays out that The Blues play The Wild, and LA plays Vancouver or The Sharks. My thinking is that maybe a team that doesn't have to deal with a big time change just might help them get by LA.

I know this is wishful thinking, but upsets do happen.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:56 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

I want to play LA. I believe the Blues are a better team than the Kings. If they can win that series, they can beat any team in the post-season.

I also suspect the players want a chance to redeem themselves from last year.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:14 AM
STLBLUES44
LehteraschwenkSHoW

I personally think with our new look defensive corps and our goaltending looking like its turned the corner that we can beat LA. yes i said it BEAT LOS ANGELES. They just got smoked by dallas who took advantage of regehr's lower passing ability and inmobility for atleast one or two goals. Also with porter and cracknells emergence as 3rd/4th liners i guess 4th liners now that were not the same team we were when they crushed us in the playoffs and when we blew our lead in the 3rd period last time we played them. I personally can't wait to play them again. I truly believe we can get revenge on them.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

Jinx thread

Old
04-10-2013, 11:31 AM
jimmykay

as long as we're not in the #7 or 8 spot, I really could care less where we end up.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:32 AM
HockeyGuy73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I want to play LA. I believe the Blues are a better team than the Kings. If they can win that series, they can beat any team in the post-season.

I also suspect the players want a chance to redeem themselves from last year.

This I can agree with. If you want to be the best, you have to beat the best.

However, there is a lot of hockey left, and this thread may be counting our chickens before they hatch.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:35 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Based on Fenwick Close, the Kings are by far the best team in the league. They have the best regular season Fenwick Close since Detroit's Cup team in 2008 which is viewed as the gold standard. And like Detroit in '08 and Chicago in 2010 they are almost 3 percentage points better than the next closest team, which is a huge gap and a great predictor of playoff success. They are a dominant possession team. And oh yea, they happen to own us. And the travel would suck. And even if the Blues survive, their limbs would be mangled for their next opponent.

I'm just saying, revenge is great, winning a Cup is greater. Playing LA in Round 1 would suck.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:39 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
Based on Fenwick Close, the Kings are by far the best team in the league. They have the best regular season Fenwick Close since Detroit's Cup team in 2008 which is viewed as the gold standard. And like Detroit in '08 and Chicago in 2010 they are almost 3 percentage points better than the next closest team, which is a huge gap and a great predictor of playoff success. They are a dominant possession team. And oh yea, they happen to own us. And the travel would suck. And even if the Blues survive, their limbs would be mangled for their next opponent.

I'm just saying, revenge is great, winning a Cup is greater. Playing LA in Round 1 would suck.
Agree. Just because the Blues finally look like they're playing more consistently ≠ sudden desire to play LA. Quick is confident against the Blues, but apparently other teams can get to him. Let's have one of those teams do it for us. Win a Cup first, then worry about some imaginary glory route for the 2d or 3d Cups.

OT: kind of cool that all the Original Six could end up in the postseason.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:42 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

There's no jinx here. The Blues need like 7 points out of the last 10 games to guarantee a post-season spot. If they can't get that, we wouldn't want to see what they'd do in the post-season anyway.

As for seeding and match-up, I personally don't care all that much. I think the Blues could win any matchup, including Chicago. However, it would be better to play Chicago later...and there is no chance of passing them. So the only way the Blues get home ice is the 4th seed, with a 2nd round matchup with Chicago most likely (assuming they both win the first round).

I don't really fear Anaheim, LAK....anyone really. They're all good teams, but the Blues are good, too. I'm not disrespecting any potential opponent, I just think when the Blues are playing their best (and getting competent goaltending) they have a chance in any game. Seems like they're starting to get into that groove.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:44 AM
illninofan*
Jimmies = Unrustled

If we play LA, which lineup do you go with?

Personally, I don't think Nichol or McDonald see the ice that series, especially the latter.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:49 AM
CarvinSigX
Meh

So it's essentially LA or Anaheim? Either team could destroy the Blues. I'd put our odds at 45% against Anaheim and 25% against LA.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:51 AM
Novacain

I think that last year, we were built to beat Detroit and Chicago, but LA turned into a nightmare. The recent trades should help that... in theory.

The matchup I want, from a pure series perspective, is Vancouver.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:00 PM
The Note
Unable To Even

I have no desire to play LA. Yeah redemption and all that but this team has proven that they can't beat LA time and again. Let someone else do that. I have no problem playing any other team in the current 8 spots.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:02 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Vancouver is a team against whom the Blues match up well. LA beat them in five playing essentially the way the Blues play Vancouver. Our guys are confident they can beat the Canucks. The 6 seed would not be bad. A 4-5 against the Sharks is still better, but if not that then I hope they get the 6th seed.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:05 PM
The Note
Unable To Even

I would like to play Vancouver as well. In order of my preference of teams currently in the PO

San Jose
Vancouver
Minnesota
Detroit
Anaheim
Chicago

LA

Old
04-10-2013, 12:51 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
There's no jinx here. The Blues need like 7 points out of the last 10 games to guarantee a post-season spot. If they can't get that, we wouldn't want to see what they'd do in the post-season anyway.

As for seeding and match-up, I personally don't care all that much. I think the Blues could win any matchup, including Chicago. However, it would be better to play Chicago later...and there is no chance of passing them. So the only way the Blues get home ice is the 4th seed, with a 2nd round matchup with Chicago most likely (assuming they both win the first round).

I don't really fear Anaheim, LAK....anyone really. They're all good teams, but the Blues are good, too. I'm not disrespecting any potential opponent, I just think when the Blues are playing their best (and getting competent goaltending) they have a chance in any game. Seems like they're starting to get into that groove.

agree. Also, there is no such thing as a jinx anyway. There isn't anything anybody can write or say that would affect what the players do on the ice. It's just silly talk.

Old
04-10-2013, 12:58 PM
CarvinSigX
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Liut View Post
agree. Also, there is no such thing as a jinx anyway. There isn't anything anybody can write or say that would affect what the players do on the ice. It's just silly talk.
I mean, if a player saw what someone (media?) wrote about them and it struck a nerve, wouldn't their attitude and performance potentially change? Besides, hockey players are usually superstitious.

Old
04-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Mike Liut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I mean, if a player saw what someone (media?) wrote about them and it struck a nerve, wouldn't their attitude and performance potentially change? Besides, hockey players are usually superstitious.

haha, I would hope not. If so, they have issues. That's like them reading message boards and hearing they suck, then get in a game and letting it affect their play.

Closed Thread