Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Perry/Richards fight?

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Pepper

vCash: 500
I can't see how Richards can given the edge considering that he didn't land a single punch. Threw 1-2 punches more but none of them landed and Perry's first haymaker connected atleast partially, Richards wouldn't have been sent 3 meters backwards otherwise.

Old
04-24-2005, 03:39 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper
I can't see how Richards can given the edge considering that he didn't land a single punch. Threw 1-2 punches more but none of them landed and Perry's first haymaker connected atleast partially, Richards wouldn't have been sent 3 meters backwards otherwise.
When Knight's fans are giving Richards the edge you better believe it.

Old
04-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Dion Mustard*

Quote:
I can't see how the hell you don't give Richards the edge in this fight. Please, leave the London homerism at the door.

Richards showed what a real captain is about. Outside of Rimoski, he is the best CHLer still playing.

On a side note, interesting how two former teammates of Perry have both gone after him (Richards and Pottruff). Think maybe Perry rubs people the wrong way? Considering how he was running his mouth at the end of Game 2, I can why these guys did what they did. Good thing you can score goals Corey, because you can't fight.

Old
04-24-2005, 08:19 PM
Galchenkel

Send a message via MSN to Galchenkel
does someone has another link than one coming from rapidshare.de 'cause for an unexplained reason, it doesn't work on my computer.

Old
04-24-2005, 08:25 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by medmed
does someone has another link than one coming from rapidshare.de 'cause for an unexplained reason, it doesn't work on my computer.
It's only available through Rapidshare I believe. Did you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Free"?

Old
04-25-2005, 06:54 AM
Pepper

Best punch of the fight = Perry's first

More connecting punches = Perry

Richards threw more but didn't connect with many.

Edge Perry.

I'm not a London homer, just a long time fight fan from several fight boards.

Old
04-25-2005, 08:13 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion Mustard
I can't see how the hell you don't give Richards the edge in this fight. Please, leave the London homerism at the door.

Richards showed what a real captain is about. Outside of Rimoski, he is the best CHLer still playing.

On a side note, interesting how two former teammates of Perry have both gone after him (Richards and Pottruff). Think maybe Perry rubs people the wrong way? Considering how he was running his mouth at the end of Game 2, I can why these guys did what they did. Good thing you can score goals Corey, because you can't fight.
Perry was being harassed by the fans and the players all night, he may have been running his mouth, but he certainly wasn't the only one. I'd rather he do that then meekly back down.

He's been a target by opposition players and fans all season long and never backed down despite not really being a physical guy. That is worthy of some respect whether or not you like him.

Tom

Old
04-25-2005, 09:06 AM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
That is worthy of some respect whether or not you like him.
Here's where we differ my friend... Perry has acted like an ass every time I've ever seen him play - except for the WJC. If the Perry that had played in the WJC was the guy we saw on the ice the rest of the time, I'd have nothing but respect for him. Unfortunately, that guy vanished somewhere between North Dakota and London, and the whining/diving/showboating player is back. You just don't see Syvret pulling crap like that, and he is well respected with fans around the league.

Perry has never been a favourite of Rangers fans (and a lot of OHL fans), but earlier this year when he called out Mark Fraser, pretended to drop his gloves, and then pranced (and I do mean pranced) away when Fraser dropped his gloves was the icing on the cake for many Kitchener fans. Every time Perry hits the ice, he's going to hear it from Kitchener fans.

Old
04-25-2005, 09:22 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
Here's where we differ my friend... Perry has acted like an ass every time I've ever seen him play - except for the WJC. If the Perry that had played in the WJC was the guy we saw on the ice the rest of the time, I'd have nothing but respect for him. Unfortunately, that guy vanished somewhere between North Dakota and London, and the whining/diving/showboating player is back. You just don't see Syvret pulling crap like that, and he is well respected with fans around the league.

Perry has never been a favourite of Rangers fans (and a lot of OHL fans), but earlier this year when he called out Mark Fraser, pretended to drop his gloves, and then pranced (and I do mean pranced) away when Fraser dropped his gloves was the icing on the cake for many Kitchener fans. Every time Perry hits the ice, he's going to hear it from Kitchener fans.

He does do some annoying stuff, I can't argue that, but IMO his play is worthy of some respect.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Tom

Old
04-25-2005, 10:09 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Did you even see the whole fight? To say that Richards didn't land a punch is ridiculous and Perry's first punch didn't even connect. Richards slipped and he got up and came right back at him. The fight was close but I don't see how anyone can say Perry won.
BTW, I'm a Knights fan.

Old
04-25-2005, 10:58 AM
paxtang

Quote:
Best punch of the fight = Perry's first

More connecting punches = Perry

Richards threw more but didn't connect with many.

Edge Perry.

I'm not a London homer, just a long time fight fan from several fight boards.
Well, I'm a fight fan from several fight boards (like that makes someone an expert, there's plenty of morons on those boards when it comes to fights), and I, like most people, gave this fight a draw, edge Richards. The first shot was barely worthy enough to give a "best punch of hte fight". Generally, you say something like that when it's an even, toe to toe fight and someone lands a spectacular punch that snaps a head back or makes someone wobbly. This was a punch when two guys were coming together, off balance, then looked spectaular, but really wasn't much. Richards also landed more punches IMO, and controlled the fight.

You are an Anaheim fan, aren't you? I can admit I wanted Richards to win this fight, I'm a Flyers fan, but if he had lost I'd call it like that. There's really no way you can call this a Perry win unless you stretch it big time, which is what you are doing.

Old
04-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Chistov23

Quote:
Actually Perry and Richards became friends at the WJC and have since stayed in touch via the internet. They stopped the emails once the playoffs started though, as it is all business now but once they are done, they will be friends again.

Old
04-25-2005, 03:34 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Well, I'm a fight fan from several fight boards (like that makes someone an expert, there's plenty of morons on those boards when it comes to fights), and I, like most people, gave this fight a draw, edge Richards. The first shot was barely worthy enough to give a "best punch of hte fight". Generally, you say something like that when it's an even, toe to toe fight and someone lands a spectacular punch that snaps a head back or makes someone wobbly. This was a punch when two guys were coming together, off balance, then looked spectaular, but really wasn't much. Richards also landed more punches IMO, and controlled the fight.

You are an Anaheim fan, aren't you? I can admit I wanted Richards to win this fight, I'm a Flyers fan, but if he had lost I'd call it like that. There's really no way you can call this a Perry win unless you stretch it big time, which is what you are doing.
Good post paxtang. It's nice to have some knowledgble fight fans around here.

Old
04-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's
Did you even see the whole fight? To say that Richards didn't land a punch is ridiculous and Perry's first punch didn't even connect. Richards slipped and he got up and came right back at him. The fight was close but I don't see how anyone can say Perry won.
BTW, I'm a Knights fan.
You don't fall back 2 metres when you slip, when you slip you fall to the ice like Perry did at the end of the fight while trying to throw a punch. Perry definetly got a piece of Richards with the first punch, had it fully connected Richards would have been KOed.

Richards didn't fully connect with a single punch, couple of glancing/grazing punches but not really anything major.

Old
04-25-2005, 04:21 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
I know you're a fight fan, we have been sparring with several anti-fighting posters at the late fight board over here. I've been posting/reading Fried Chicken's fight board for what 4-5 years now so I'm not new to this stuff.

I'm not calling it an outright Perry win since he didn't fully connect with any punch, as didn't Richards. IMHO the best punch of the fight was the first one which DID send Richards way back in off-balance, you don't go that far when just trying to dodge a punch. Not fully connecting like I said but definetly the best IMHO. I have the same clip that you probably have from the website given in this thread.

Watch the fight clip and give me the times of Richards connecting with a punch.

Oh, I'm definetly a Ducks fan but not really a London fan. I'm paying attention to Knights only because of Perry, next year they will be just one of the teams in OHL once again.

Old
04-25-2005, 05:59 PM
paxtang

[QUOTE=Pepper]
I'm not calling it an outright Perry win since he didn't fully connect with any punch, as didn't Richards. IMHO the best punch of the fight was the first one which DID send Richards way back in off-balance, you don't go that far when just trying to dodge a punch. Not fully connecting like I said but definetly the best IMHO. I have the same clip that you probably have from the website given in this thread.
QUOTE]

I just don't feel it was anything special of a punch. Plenty of times people fly way offbalance. I think the reason he flew so far away was because A) Perry DID hit him, but not really that hard, and B) Richards threw a haymaker that missed at the same time. I think that had Perry not even swung, Richards still probably woudl have fell; that's what happens when you swing and miss with a punch like that when you haven't gotten a good hold. It wasn't enough of a punch to overcome the fact that Richards controlled the fight, and I felt he outlanded him (although none of hte punches landed square and I don't really feel like doing a punch by punch breakdown, but if you insist I will.)

I just think you are really getting influenced by this first punch which didn't hvae a whole lot on it. The fact that Perry skated away from Richards made it look like he fell a lot farther away, and Richards punch carriered his momentum the other way as well. Until Perry proves he has anything close to real punching power, I'm not going to give him teh benefit of the doubt that IF that punch had landed square, it woudl have caused damage. A lot of flash, no real substance in this fight. It was a draw.

Old
04-26-2005, 01:23 AM
Pepper

I can live with that call, all I'm saying that giving that fight to Richards is ignorance as he didn't connect at all.

Old
04-26-2005, 10:40 AM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
You don't fall back 2 metres when you slip, when you slip you fall to the ice like Perry did at the end of the fight while trying to throw a punch. Perry definetly got a piece of Richards with the first punch, had it fully connected Richards would have been KOed.
Richards didn't fully connect with a single punch, couple of glancing/grazing punches but not really anything major.
What makes you think Perry has KO power? He sure hasn't shown it in any of his other fights. You're reading too much into one punch that was a glancing blow at most. If Richards had been drafted by Anaheim you would likely be argueing that he won and Perry lost.

Old
04-26-2005, 01:11 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's
What makes you think Perry has KO power? He sure hasn't shown it in any of his other fights. You're reading too much into one punch that was a glancing blow at most. If Richards had been drafted by Anaheim you would likely be argueing that he won and Perry lost.
Any player has KO power, only very few can use it regularly. Kerry threw a wild haymaker which would have most likely KOed Richards had it landed squarely at Richard's face. Hell, even Paul Kariya has enough strength in his hands to knock out an opponent if he manages to land one wild haymaker.

Like I said, draw, maybe edge Perry because of the first punch which was the only one in the whole fight to actually do anything. That wouldn't change even if the roles were reversed since Philly is one of my fav teams as well (Ducks, 'Hawks, Oilers and Philly I like the most).

Old
04-26-2005, 09:07 PM
Default101

That was a good fight to see, glad Richards won that... funny thing is Perry started mouthing off to Clarkson the next game, i'd much rather see that fight since it seems perry feels he's ready for bigger compition

Old
04-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Default101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49

Either am i, and i'm from sarnia, he threw a massive cheap shot 2 years ago in a sarnia/london game and i disliked him ever since, then he played at the wjc and i was like well he's smartened up, and then i saw him in playoff action and i really hate him now lol, he's good he's gonna be a top 6 forward at the nhl level he's got good skill but with that said he's got no class either zero i think it has to do in part with their sarnia(petrolia) native coach dale hunter, he's carrying atleast 2 guys that wouldn't be in the ohl if they weren't cheap shot style players (players remaining nameless) AND the attitude that some of the more skilled london players have (eg. Perry, Schremp) and the cheap shots some of them throw and it's too bad cause what a few player do reflects the whole team people say "london throws cheap shots" it's a fair analasis theres about 5-6 guys that do it but it give the whole team a bad name and those are the guys that are i've always liked london a short 2nd to sarnia untill dale hunter got into year two of his coaching stint in london, i will be a fan of the nights again whenever it is that dale hunter is no longer knights coach, the city has done alot for the team and the fans are very prideful of their team, and i like the london knights, i just can't stand the coaching style of hunter. BTW i loved that whole Clarkson standing out there stickhandling cutting into Perry's routine that was great.

Old
04-27-2005, 11:31 AM
Dion Mustard*

The first "punch" Perry threw, didn't connect with Richard's head. It was more of a shove which caught Richards in the chest and put him off balance. It is a non issue. Richards gets the edge in the fight, case closed.

As for Perry's chirpping, GROW UP. It's part of the game, and when Perry engages himself in that, it shows how classless he is. Whether it's in Kitchener, or when he was leaving the ice in Windsor. Knight's fans, change Perry's jersey to another team in the league, and you'd be all over him too. Take the God damn blinders off, and admit some of Perry's behavior and play is embarassing.

Funny enough though, I like how many have made comments that Perry didn't pull some of this crap (the diving, the immaturity) when he was at the WJC. Think maybe Perry finally had a real coach who commands respect from his players and opponents?

Old
04-27-2005, 12:12 PM
Pepper

Frankly I don't know who you were talking to or what you were trying to say. What I understood was that you hate Perry with passion.

Old
04-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Chistov23

Quote:
Funny enough though, I like how many have made comments that Perry didn't pull some of this crap (the diving, the immaturity) when he was at the WJC. Think maybe Perry finally had a real coach who commands respect from his players and opponents?
I think it is because at the WJC he is playing with and against the best players of his age group. He doesn't have to put up with the stuff he does in the OHL. He doesn't have a target on him as the best player.
Quote:
As for Perry's chirpping, GROW UP. It's part of the game, and when Perry engages himself in that, it shows how classless he is. Whether it's in Kitchener, or when he was leaving the ice in Windsor. Knight's fans, change Perry's jersey to another team in the league, and you'd be all over him too. Take the God damn blinders off, and admit some of Perry's behavior and play is embarassing
No doubt Perry is a talker, an agitator. Many players at the NHL level are to. He is a player you love to hate and this thread proves that.

Old
04-27-2005, 12:32 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chistov23
I think it is because at the WJC he is playing with and against the best players of his age group. He doesn't have to put up with the stuff he does in the OHL. He doesn't have a target on him as the best player.
Do you sleep in Corey Perry pajamas too? Please... he's a good OHL player, but there's no way in hell he's the best in the OHL.

Closed Thread