Notices

Bruins lose 2-1 to the Gorton's Fishermen

Old
04-12-2013, 06:02 AM
TCL40

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpfan1 View Post
Unfortunately there will be a few back to backs in the playoffs...
But a back to back in the playoffs have both teams in the same situation. Same teams, same travel, and same schedule. Regular season back to backs have a lot of variation even when both teams are on the back end of the back to back.

This team misses Bergeron and doesn't have a top 6 lw to replace injured top 6 left wings. Paille works his butt off but he didn't really fit with Krejci.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:24 AM
sooshii
PLAYOFFS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert terwilliger View Post
i don't.

and i think that's what separates me from most of the people here. i expect them to play hard, they're not and it's frustrating. but i have learned in my time in the boston sports scene that you never expect your team to go the distance. you hope, you believe, but you don't expect. i think the fans here have been spoiled by the success that all of the teams have had and have moved from hope and belief directly into expectation.

this season is a crapshoot. it's short, every injury and every game has almost double the meaning it would normally have. again, get into the playoffs and empty the clip. reload in the offseason.
This is pretty much how I feel. But then, I haven't assumed we'd win a Cup every other year since 1974.

Did ya not know the Islanders had more as stake last night than we did? Sometimes that's the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
ouch. 2nd leg of a back to back against a rested team in the playoffs is a scenario I'm not looking forward to.

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:28 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCL40 View Post
But a back to back in the playoffs have both teams in the same situation. Same teams, same travel, and same schedule. Regular season back to backs have a lot of variation even when both teams are on the back end of the back to back.

This team misses Bergeron and doesn't have a top 6 lw to replace injured top 6 left wings. Paille works his butt off but he didn't really fit with Krejci.
Good pts. I am not a fan of the "injury" excuse but it also can`t be ignored. Admirable job by Maclean in Ottaw in lieu of the Karlsson/Michalek and Spezza injuries, and they kept it together for a while, playing the only way they could that could snag them a pt and that`s a complete trap game however, that wears on a team and it`s showing now.

How many teams/times have we seen a team lose their most valuable player(s) and go onto win a Cup??? Injuries won`t be used by teams as an excuse, but anyone who tries to come on here and fire out the ole injuries don`t fly excuse, when we`ve got, arguably the best, if not one of the best 2 way players in the game, a beast in the faceoff circle, and a great shut down guy out, needs to do a little realistic evaluation.

This team has not one elite forward (Bergy is an elite 2 way player, not an elite offensive player). Now Marchand out, how long?? Who knows

Quaider missed a ton of time, and suddenly, then were into the Bourque`s/Pandalfo`s of the world playing here, now Paille/Soupy and other`s forced to play unfamiliar and I would suspect, roles a touch uncomfortable.

The goaltending has been fine, the D, with the exception of the last week or so has as well. We`ve got a #1 line who`s right winger should have been sat long ago, a left winger who can`t help but pass to his buddy on the other side rather than shoot and a centerman who I `d love to see replaced (calling Spooner) by anyone who plays at top speed (although DK`s been good this year).

I love this team, always will, I`ll always support the team, but I try and do so with realistic eyes, and coming on here and reading posts from "fans" calling them crap/sh**/garbage is utterly ridiculous and this fan, well, this fan`s about to hang em up on HF, I`m done.

There`s criticism that is constructive and well earned by the boys, then there`s garbage posts by, I`ll wager, a bunch of hockey noobs, pounding out their opinions and thoughts in Mommy and Daddy`s basement, big bag of cheetos sitting on their lap after a Pinner has been inhaled, coming on here, spewing nothing but garbage, backing up their points next to never but the topper.....they wanna argue with ya.

I know, there`s the ignore button, well that`s great, unfortunately, lately, I`ve seen and been reading a ton of posters I have long admired on here doing much of the above and it`s disturbing. Gotta ask fans, can u look yourself in the mirror after a day at work and say "yep, I brought the A game to the table"???

I`ll challenge you if you say you bring it every night. I`ll never know what it`s like to be an elite athlete, but I know this, it can`t be easy, and while I question with validity the effort of a few on this team, NOBODY here will convince this fan these boys don`t care. Anyways, I`m done here.

For a bunch who claim they are "fans" of this franchise, there`s an unsettling trend of showing just how many of you are really fans.

Enjoy fighting with one another about how crap this team is, how this team has no more toughness and we need to pound any and everyone into the ground with each and every check.

OUT

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Killerbeez

Quote:
you didn't have any remote controls in the mid 80's? what remote outpost of Canada do you live in?

(Remember, I said INFERIOR scabs teams. So this obviously isn't about the late 70's playoff runs).
where I came from, kids were the remote controls. Some of them got thrown at the tv though....

Killerbeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:33 AM
sooshii
PLAYOFFS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Gotta ask fans, can u look yourself in the mirror after a day at work and say "yep, I brought the A game to the table"???
I`ll challenge you if you say you bring it every night. I`ll never know what it`s like to be an elite athlete, but I know this, it can`t be easy, and while I question with validity I believe the effort of a few on this team, NOBODY here will convince this fan these boys don`t care. Anyways, I`m done here.

For a bunch who claim they are "fans" of this franchise, there`s an unsettling trend of showing just how many of you are really fans.

Enjoy fighting with one another about how crap this team is, how this team has no more toughness and we need to pound any and everyone into the ground with each and every check.

OUT
Sure. Every ****ing day, Mister. Except maybe today, cause I got up and it was raining and Friday and I decided to work from home.

sooshii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 06:41 AM
smack66

Quote:
Yvon Lambert's goal took about 5 years off my life. what is this entertainment of which you speak?
As a 49 year old lifelong Bruins fan growing up surounded by Habs fans you are bringing up some serious childhood scars for me

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:35 AM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyorr04 View Post
Boy, have some Bruin fans become so spoiled.......try waiting 39 years for a Cup like some of us older fans had to, before complaining like a 4 year old.
The entire New England fan base has turned greedy with all the wins we've had here in the past 10+ years. Now it's win it all or you've failed mentality.

I can remember back to the 90's and before!!

I think this team still has another gear, and I think we'll see it come playoff time.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:37 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeddarRants View Post
When Greg Campbell is looking like a better scoring threat than 3 of the top 6 forwards on your team, there is a problem.
Actually I'm starting to wonder if Campbell playing for Boston is costing him second line minutes elsewhere. I really believe that between the right wingers he's got second line skill/effort levels.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 07:38 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Anyone else glad Hamilton got a game off to think about stuff? I like that. Now do it to Looch.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:13 AM
Fenian24

Went to the game last night and a couple of things stood out.

I mentioned this in the Lucic thread but wanted to mention it here as well because I see it as part of a much bigger issue.

After he got high sticked and took a couple of butterfly stitches on the bench, Matt Carkner Challenged Lucic to a fight, Lucic shook his head no and pointed to his eye brow, Carkner then laughed at him and skated away.

When Peverley was boarded by Matt Martin Julien started screaming at Thornton, who was on the ice to do something about it, Thornton just skated to the bench where Julien had a very animated conversation with Thornton.

I look at these two incidents as a bit of a microcosm of the season thus far. They may be winning but there seem to be some pretty deep issues here. The team is playing with no passion and for the first time since Julien took over they don't have each other’s backs on the ice. The total effort that used to be there in season past is missing, which may be why they have lost so many leads in the third period this year, they are not wearing teams down.

They turn off checks, allow cheap shots to occur without retribution and are playing a soft game. It looks to me that this goes back to when Thornton got Ko'd by Scott. They lost a lot of their swagger after that and have played smaller as a team.

Beyond the awful power play and Rask’s one bad goal a game the lack of grit and commitment to their teammates is more concerning to me.

Is it because of all the no movement contract Chiarelli has given out? Have the tuned out Julien? Hopefully they do like the old Islanders of the early 80's did and turn it on in the playoffs but I see too many issues here to have a lot of faith in a deep payoff run.

Fenian24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:13 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Chia, Julien and Cam must be steaming about this team right now. They refuse to work. Flat out refuse. Well, some of them anyways. Some guys just always hustle.

I'll say it again... Watching Jagr just shows how really non-elite the rest of our forwards are. Non elite guys have to work really hard. Ours do, sometimes.

You would have to think that Peverley is the first one to go this summer. 3mil plus for a 4th line center, plus he was in the doghouse earlier and hasn't done much to get out of it..

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Fire Sweeney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Actually I'm starting to wonder if Campbell playing for Boston is costing him second line minutes elsewhere. I really believe that between the right wingers he's got second line skill/effort levels.
Campbell is a 3rd liner at best on a non-contending team. Remove Jagr from his wing and you have the same Campbell we had before the trade deadline.

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:16 AM
RetiredWBC8

vCash: 1000
Great post Fenian. Claude was very vocal on the bench when I was at the Devils game after Marchands and Krejcis shots... No idea what he was saying, but the mouth was wide and the head was bobbing...

Of course the "this team is as tough as its always been" crowd will try to refute it somehow..

RetiredWBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:41 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenian24 View Post
Went to the game last night and a couple of things stood out.

I mentioned this in the Lucic thread but wanted to mention it here as well because I see it as part of a much bigger issue.

After he got high sticked and took a couple of butterfly stitches on the bench, Matt Carkner Challenged Lucic to a fight, Lucic shook his head no and pointed to his eye brow, Carkner then laughed at him and skated away.

When Peverley was boarded by Matt Martin Julien started screaming at Thornton, who was on the ice to do something about it, Thornton just skated to the bench where Julien had a very animated conversation with Thornton.

I look at these two incidents as a bit of a microcosm of the season thus far. They may be winning but there seem to be some pretty deep issues here. The team is playing with no passion and for the first time since Julien took over they don't have each otherís backs on the ice. The total effort that used to be there in season past is missing, which may be why they have lost so many leads in the third period this year, they are not wearing teams down.

They turn off checks, allow cheap shots to occur without retribution and are playing a soft game. It looks to me that this goes back to when Thornton got Ko'd by Scott. They lost a lot of their swagger after that and have played smaller as a team.

Beyond the awful power play and Raskís one bad goal a game the lack of grit and commitment to their teammates is more concerning to me.

Is it because of all the no movement contract Chiarelli has given out? Have the tuned out Julien? Hopefully they do like the old Islanders of the early 80's did and turn it on in the playoffs but I see too many issues here to have a lot of faith in a deep payoff run.
This is a good and post with some good food for thought.

Like I said last night, I have come to accept that this will be the state of things at least until the regular season ends.

It is hard to tell if these issues are an aberration, a result of the condensed schedule, etc., or if there are some bigger issues at hand such as the ones you have raised. I'm not sure if the contracts some of these guys have play into it, not sure if they have tuned Julien out or not...I think we will know more once the playoffs start. If this lack of intensity continues, then things need to be reexamined.

I just don't generally believe in the "flip the switch" theory, and I think lack of emotion/poor play has a tendency to creep into your game and locker room and become the status quo before long. If that's the case, and they can't make it out of the first round again, then I think the results force you to examine the reasons a little more closely.

They are going to have to try and find their game in the playoffs and right now I think any series they are in is likely a coin flip.

11MilesPerJohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:57 AM
bp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Segchise View Post
My main issue is Lucic not being held accountable. He's my favorite Bruin, but he's been terrible. Seguin was demoted for no real reason, is back to playing well, but still on the 3rd line. Perverley was scratched for his slump.... makes no sense.
He is known for hits, fights and (until recently) goals. When you bring that game in Boston, even if it's maddeningly inconsistent, fans give you a pass. It's always been that way. Fans overrate and overvalue "physical" players in these parts and there's no reason to think it'll change.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
hemispheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Campbell is a 3rd liner at best on a non-contending team. Remove Jagr from his wing and you have the same Campbell we had before the trade deadline.
Or put LUCIC on his Line.

hemispheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:29 AM
UConn126
Bass Player.

Missed the game last night. Can anyone fill me in on what the lines were? Thanks.

UConn126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:35 AM
Hazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UConn126 View Post
Missed the game last night. Can anyone fill me in on what the lines were? Thanks.
Paille-Krejci-Horton
Lucic-Campbell-Jagr
Caron-Kelly-Seguin
Daugavins-Peverley-Thornton

Chara-Boychuk
Bartkowski-Seidenberg
Ference-McQuaid

Rask was in net

Hazi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyLegs View Post
I miss the days where you could always count on the Bs to play hard, win or lose, for 60 minutes.
^ This....

So many say "well, look at our record".

We all know that record is thrown out come playoff time, then their actions
will do the talking. With the exception of 2 or 3 games, their actions this season
have sucked. It's so frustrated watching this Bruins play, win or lose... We all
know what they're capable of. They just don't look like my beloved Bruins of old.

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:43 AM
hemispheres

The good old days. I always believed the Bruins would win the next one in the old days.Now I hope there next opponent is a pile of crap in order for them to have a chance.

hemispheres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:52 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
As a 49 year old lifelong Bruins fan growing up surounded by Habs fans you are bringing up some serious childhood scars for me
I won't mention Craig MacTavish, then....

He's the one who scarred me. ....but that is another story for another day....

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:54 AM
BruinsFan64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeyeRocketeer View Post
Anyone else glad Hamilton got a game off to think about stuff? I like that. Now do it to Looch.
Well the problem I have is Hamilton has not been playing bad. Where he lacks is getting physically involved in scrums but he will learn that over time.

He does throws body checks and seems engaged in all 3 zones. I think he has been playing good.

Sure his defense has some holes but he's 19 and in his first NHL year, that would be expected, even if he was drafted 9th.

For whatever reason Looch is not engaged. Seems like something else is on his mind. He was fine early on but over the last 2 months, he has been a different person.

This change coincides with the fact that he became a Father and I would not be surprised if that was now a distraction to him and I don't blame him. People handle this event differently.

I think we all want to know why he is off. Hopefully it is nothing more then the fact that his life has changed so much off the ice.

Is he injured? Is there a family health issue? We hope not but we don't know.

Lucic could probably use a game off to get his head cleared a little. Krecji needs some beef on his line so Lucic needs to be there over the long run.

I wish they would put Jagr on that line and just move Horton to the 2nd or third line.

Free the Yeti!!!!!

BruinsFan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:25 AM
8spokesontheB
Cry Havoc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsFan64 View Post
For whatever reason Looch is not engaged. Seems like something else is on his mind. He was fine early on but over the last 2 months, he has been a different person.
People scoff at me when I say this, but umma say it anyhow: it's Lady Problems.

I've seen it before, a million times in the eyes of men, and I see it now. I saw it in Tom Brady, and the scoffing and guffawing was all a-jangle, but guess what? He split from Bridget right after. I see it in Milan's eyes...he's got girl-trubble. What's to be done about it? Nuthin'. It will run its course, for better or for worse.

8spokesontheB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Fire Sweeney

Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74

Jaromir Jagr when asked if schedule has affected him more than last lockout: "I don't get tired. I'm a freak!"

Maybe Claude and Lucic should have a sitdown with the freak.

Fire Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
DarrenBanks56

Id like to see redden sat nite in place of mcquaid.
Also seguin to rw with krej and looch.

Chara redden
Seids hamilton
Boychuk ference

DarrenBanks56 is offline   Reply With Quote