HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I was wrong (the confession booth)

Old
04-13-2013, 12:25 AM
durojean

vCash: 500
I thought Kaberle and Gomez still had something in them that could help us.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:54 AM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
It's also a whole lot about how we see things. Yep, I guess we all didn't like the Therrien hiring....But doing great in his 1st year is not what's really at stake here. Players always get their act together, if they have the talent to do so (see Calgary), with a new coach. Therrien's "talent" will need to show in the playoffs and in the following years. Bergevin will need to show his talent as this team progresses. We NEED to be a cup contender from now on. That was my biggest beef about the past administration, that we were just building a team to be playoff contender. Enough of that, we now have the talent to go far....LET'S GO FAR. And every player on this team has that new goal now and will be judge as such. DD will need to show he could be a big time player. Pleks can't be too girlie, Price elevating his game in the playoffs, not only by playing well but by bringing us further etc...Everybody needs to be one or two steps better. So we were wrong in this regular season...doesn't mean we will in the playoffs....or next year or in a couple of seasons. But it's better being wrong when the outcome is what it is now. See, being wrong is not too far from being right either. We LOVED the Cole acquisition. Called it EXACTLY what this team needed. It lasted....1 year. Ryder, the player, is not EXACTLY what this team needed and then...yes it did. In the end, only the end-result counts. Fans shouldn't be too hard on themselves. 'Cause if the ones who are paid a whole lot do make their share of mistakes...we are allowed to do it as well.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:14 AM
guapo23

I hated the Ryder trade at first since we lack power forwards.
But he has proven that he is no longer a one trick pony with a low hockey IQ.

I never thought Bourque would play well for us.

I thought an injury would lead to Kaberle getting ice time and he would regain his offensive skills and significantly contribute to the team.

I never thought the Habs would be near the top of the standings all year long.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Habcentric

I thought Montreal could be better than last year but probably fall short of a playoff spot. I also thought that if Montreal could not make the playoffs then they should be serious sellers and play the younger kids / call ups more to give them some experience and effectively tank and get a great draft pick ( imagine a Subban - Jones pairing!!! )

Habcentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

I've been saying that Tinordi would never make it to the NHL for the past 2 years

he impressed me during his short trip here

Bask is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 08:53 PM
Lafleurs Guy

So uh... it's back to the tank now right? The confession booth is now closed. We thank you for your business over these past few years...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:33 PM
WhatJustHappened
A.k.a compile

vCash: 693
Send a message via Skype™ to WhatJustHappened
I confess to thinking this organizations fans base would stop being so bi-polar.

WhatJustHappened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
I confess to thinking this organizations fans base would stop being so bi-polar.
Thing is...nobody with some sanity would have ever thought this. So sorry, doesn't work. You never thought that...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:58 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
So uh... it's back to the tank now right? The confession booth is now closed. We thank you for your business over these past few years...
It is not the Leafs loss, it is more that we are 7-6 in our last 13, and I am seeing some regression generally, and not unexpectedly.

Still very happy with Habs progress, but I hate to say this: Over 82 games, the Habs may well have drafted 15th. Now they will likely draft 25th. In a huge draft year.

In other words, last year we drafted much higher than we deserved, and this year we will draft much lower than deserved.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:26 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
It is not the Leafs loss, it is more that we are 7-6 in our last 13, and I am seeing some regression generally, and not unexpectedly.

Still very happy with Habs progress, but I hate to say this: Over 82 games, the Habs may well have drafted 15th. Now they will likely draft 25th. In a huge draft year.

In other words, last year we drafted much higher than we deserved, and this year we will draft much lower than deserved.
I agree that some regression was inevitable. We all knew we'd hit a bumpy stretch of road at some point - and here it is. But how significantly do those last few games define the team? Why does a mini-slump extrapolate into an entire second-half slide? That sounds more like post-game hangover than objective analysis.

I don't see last night's game defining the team at all. They started off doing everything right and were dominant, as usual. Good forechecking, good chances. As usual. And then we made a strategic error of pulling the goalie in the first two minutes. Seriously... four goals, five shots... bizarre doesn't begin to describe it. The only person qualified to define last night is Rod Serling (thank you in advance for getting the reference).

Look, I'm as frustrated as anyone right now. Price needs to run some internal diagnostics. But this team has proven itself of beating everyone anytime. They've had a handful of bad games, no more. Last night was about two things: 1) Price losing his focus. 2) Habs losing their cool.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:34 AM
onemorecup*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
And it feels good. The team is in the playoffs and fighting for 1st. Never thought it was possible this year but it's happened. The rebuild is over.

Come one. Come all. Repent your sins and have them washed away. The confession booth is open.

And please, let's limit the booth to how you were wrong about the team. I don't want to hear about how you like to make love to dead dolphins or something messed up like that.
the rebuild is far from over , first of all we were not as bad as last year where everything went wrong

we are improved since Markov , and Gio are back and the unexpected play of the Gally bros and PK`s rise to star status

we arent built for the playoffs , thats what Bergy has to fix

we have the worst fourth line in hockey and our size on d is a concern

the other thing is this , folks this is 48 games , lets chat over 82 games , normally at the 50 game mark is when you see separation , this year is totally hit and miss

as to your question I thought LeBlanc would of made the team by now in some capacity

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Lafleurs Guy

HEY!

Who set the confession booth on fire?

Old
05-09-2013, 09:07 PM
coolasprICE

I was right (the told you so booth)

LOL.

NEVER second guess what you believe in.

I've learnt to stick with my beliefs and never flipflop even when it felt like the easy thing to do.

Go habs go, but this team is far from being right.

MB has a **** load of work to do this summer it's actually funny... he only dug a deeper whole with the Desharnais signing.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:18 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
LOL.

I've learnt to stick with my beliefs and never flipflop even when it felt like the easy thing to do.

MB has a **** load of work to do this summer it's actually funny... he only dug a deeper whole with the Desharnais signing.
Why worry about DD contract ? Every team have at least one contract like that. And the guy cou,d rebound next hear and produce anlther 60 points season.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:19 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I was wrong to say Desharnais and Bouillon suck. Wait, nope.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:22 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Why worry about DD contract ? Every team have at least one contract like that. And the guy cou,d rebound next hear and produce anlther 60 points season.
He could rebound, if he plays with big wingers, if him and Max file for divorce.

That's a lot of "coulds'' and ''ifs".

Old
05-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Danadiens

vCash: 1450
I was wrong when I thought (in the first 10 games) Diaz is a good NHL player. He's MAB with more speed and less offense.

Danadiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Et le But

Quote:
LOL.

Is the team not better than it was a year ago? Those of us who thought this team was still a bottom feeder were still wrong. 5 bad games doesn't undo anything, it just means we need more work.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:27 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danadiens View Post
I was wrong when I thought (in the first 10 games) Diaz is a good NHL player. He's MAB with more speed and less offense.
Diaz fooled a lot of people.

I remember Diaz last year being a clone of Weber. Then he hit a hot streak and was injured.

Now, he is once again a clone of Weber.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:28 PM
MD thaivuN
Anime Music Hipster

vCash: 470
I was pretty much right with:
-Desharnais being mediocre
-Eller being good
-Diaz being good (at least in the season)
-Markov still being good enough

I was wrong with:
-Bourque (thought he was going to bad)
-Emelin (same with Bourque)
-Budaj (didn't think he would be the Buddha)
-The team's season position (wanted to tank for Barkov )

MD thaivuN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 09:28 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Is the team not better than it was a year ago? .
Not that hard to improve from last with a bit more heatlh. This team is still mediocre.

Old
05-09-2013, 09:54 PM
BJG

-I'll admit I was wrong to think that MB should have moved a second rounder (and even maybe a prospect) to add a second pairing D (of course if he had and Emelin didn't go down, who knows?)

-I was wrong in wanting the Sens instead of the Leafs. I watched the Sens come back against the Bruins and was pleased. In retrospect, I think we would have taken the Leafs, assuming again that we weren't bitten by the injury bug like we were in this series. On the bright side, if we did meet the TMLs and lost, it would be a much harder pill to swallow right now.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:09 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
He got those points playing 18-19 minutes/game...icetime he will never average as long as the team has Plekanec playing the way he always does and Eller/Galchenyuk don't regress.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:14 PM
couris

I thought Price was good. I was wrong.

couris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2013, 10:18 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
LOL.

It wasn't second guessing dude, the team PROVED it was better than what everyone expected. Playoffs weren't great but the team was a LOT better than expected.

I also see it as a huge step forward for us. No cup? Okay, but at least becoming a contender is in sight now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Is the team not better than it was a year ago? Those of us who thought this team was still a bottom feeder were still wrong. 5 bad games doesn't undo anything, it just means we need more work.
Exactly. Rome wasn't built in a day. Some huge steps for us this year:

Gallagher & Galchenyuk - Just awesome
Eller emerged as a pretty strong player
Subban elevated his game to superstar level and is now one of the best in the game.

Lots to be happy about going forward.