HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Out of Town Thread part LV - All Talk From Around the League Here

Closed Thread

Old
04-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Habtchum*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
They have a great team without their superstars in the lineup.

I would say that their GM made some really good and strategic moves to strengthen their team for a deep playoff run.

Meanwhile, we have picks.
That Murray guy is not bad.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:40 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

I would say that their GM made some really good and strategic moves to strengthen their team for a deep playoff run.

And when they have their superstars back.. we would not be able to compete.

Those picks could net us depth and superstars. We're definitely not competing this year and Emelin's injury/post play-off clinch play supports that.

If anything, Bergevin was brilliant seeing this happen before it did.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:44 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
That Murray guy is not bad.
And what really sucks is how cheap the Pens got him for.

One 2nd round pick this year and one 2nd round pick next year if they sign him.

He is exactly what the Habs needed for a playoff run. He hits hard (ask Neil about that ) and he is a shot blocking machine.

He looked slow until a Senator's forward moved toward the goal. And his stick play was perfect with regard to lifting the forward's stick.

We should have signed him.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:46 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
And when they have their superstars back.. we would not be able to compete.

Those picks could net us depth and superstars. We're definitely not competing this year and Emelin's injury/post play-off clinch play supports that.

If anything, Bergevin was brilliant seeing this happen before it did.
We can go round and round regarding the strategy.

The end result is that Pittsburgh is gearing up and we are discussing how many games it will take Toronto to eliminate us in the first round.

There is a huge disconnect between here and there. Playing for the future as always.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:50 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:

The end result is that Pittsburgh is gearing up and we are discussing how many games it will take Toronto to eliminate us in the first round.

There is a huge disconnect between here and there. Playing for the future as always.
Because Pittsburgh has a tried and tested play-off core.

We have.... a team that freshly finished 15th in the East.

There's a reason for the difference in philosophies.
Habs philosophy was cautious optimism.
Pens strategy is, go all in every year we have Malkin and Crosby.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:52 PM
Habsawce

Winning the Crosby lottery and having Malkin from the year before has obviously set up Pittsburgh to be competitive every season.

We can't compare MTL to them because of these 2 players. Need to take an approach of building a competitive team through smart draft picks and smart signings.

Old
04-22-2013, 09:59 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

We have a 95% healthy lineup that's getting lit up and don't have the same organizational depth to compensate trading picks. Luckily our GM wasn't shortsighted enough to deplete what little depth the organization has to begin with in hopes that a 40 game run of everything going right would hold up until June.

Penguins loaded up on prospects/depth last couple years and a proven contender. Habs will load up on prospects/depth this draft and if they are not a fluke - continue their good play next season - Habs are in a much better position to make strategic moves to strengthen their team for a deep playoff run.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:29 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Winning the Crosby lottery and having Malkin from the year before has obviously set up Pittsburgh to be competitive every season.

We can't compare MTL to them because of these 2 players. Need to take an approach of building a competitive team through smart draft picks and smart signings.
So where do we get our Crosby and Malkin from? I didnt see them in Hamilton. Crosby had over a hundred points his first season. And as much as I love Chuckie and his potential, he is not a Crosby.

Tank like Edmonton? What year is Edmonton on the tank now?

Why did Iginla insist he would only come to Pittsburgh? Winning.

Winning players want to be associated with winning franchises, not franchises who are going all in (maybe) in the next couple of seasons.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:41 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
We have a 95% healthy lineup that's getting lit up and don't have the same organizational depth to compensate trading picks. Luckily our GM wasn't shortsighted enough to deplete what little depth the organization has to begin with in hopes that a 40 game run of everything going right would hold up until June.

Penguins loaded up on prospects/depth last couple years and a proven contender. Habs will load up on prospects/depth this draft and if they are not a fluke - continue their good play next season - Habs are in a much better position to make strategic moves to strengthen their team for a deep playoff run.
The Pens have just as many prospects as we do. Isnt there a limit as to how many contracts a team can sign? I doubt that the Pens got a special exemption.

The issue with the Habs is that our prospects have not been progressing (or were overrated) and are really not "reliable" depth.

Too many Avtsin's, St-Denis', Leblanc's, Trunev's, Nattinen's etc. have been drafted and have not panned out.

Maybe we should alter our drafting style a bit.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:43 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

These last few games games will produce desperate hockey from Ottawa, NYI, NYR and Winnipeg.

I'd like to see Winnipeg make it, myself.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:52 PM
jedimyrmidon

Just noticed that Calgary has more points than Edmonton. What the heck? The Flames are supposed to be emulating Nashville instead of trending upwards.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:57 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
These last few games games will produce desperate hockey from Ottawa, NYI, NYR and Winnipeg.

I'd like to see Winnipeg make it, myself.
Me too. Winnipeg in, Ottawa out.

That would be sweet.

Old
04-22-2013, 10:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Just noticed that Calgary has more points than Edmonton. What the heck? The Flames are supposed to be emulating Nashville instead of trending upwards.
They brought in a bunch of fast and hungry kids and it has rejuvenated their team. And their goaltending has been on a roll. They went from a near lock to be 2nd or 3rd worst to now likely finishing in the 7th-10th range. What a disaster this is for that franchise. No team in the NHL needs a franchise cornerstone more, yet they are blowing that chance.

We came incredibly close to doing the same thing last March/April when Markov came back. Still get shivers down my spin thinking about it.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:00 PM
Mrb1p

Winnipeg has 3 more ROW and 1 less point than Ottawa, while Ottawa has 1 more game to play Please make it PEG!

Ottawa has a really tough schedule facing Philly, Washinton and Boston. While Winni faces us (Plz let them win.) and Wsh.

And NYR, while they have the same points as Ottawa should be in, they have soft matchups NJD, Flo and Carolina.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:05 PM
Nicko999

vCash: 50
Oilers lose 3-0 vs Anaheim.

They are exactly on the same pace as they were last year... No improvement whatsoever.

Old
04-22-2013, 11:19 PM
The Nightman

Quote:
The Pens have just as many prospects as we do. Isnt there a limit as to how many contracts a team can sign? I doubt that the Pens got a special exemption.

The issue with the Habs is that our prospects have not been progressing (or were overrated) and are really not "reliable" depth.

Too many Avtsin's, St-Denis', Leblanc's, Trunev's, Nattinen's etc. have been drafted and have not panned out.

They drafted top five picks from 2002-2006. Picking up Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal(Taken over Toews) and Whitney. Do you seriously believe that the reason we don't have a Crosby or a Malkin is because we have a poor "drafting style"?

I challenge you to look through their drafting, heck any other teams drafting record and see that there are hits and misses with each team. Penguins just sucked at the right time and have an awesome team now because of it.

I don't even want to get into talking about how 4th and 5th round picks didn't pan out and how a 22 year old is a bust after a bad season not to mention St. denis is undrafted.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post

They are exactly on the same pace as they were last year... No improvement whatsoever.
lol did you see the changes in the front office?

both Alberta teams are ****ed for years. RIP.

Old
04-23-2013, 12:15 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
So where do we get our Crosby and Malkin from? I didnt see them in Hamilton. Crosby had over a hundred points his first season. And as much as I love Chuckie and his potential, he is not a Crosby.

Tank like Edmonton? What year is Edmonton on the tank now?

Why did Iginla insist he would only come to Pittsburgh? Winning.

Winning players want to be associated with winning franchises, not franchises who are going all in (maybe) in the next couple of seasons.
And why did Pittsburgh win&continue to win? Crosby and Malkin.

Very few teams were successfully built the way Pittsburgh was, you can't rely on acquiring generational players to build a successful franchise. What they accomplished amounted to a massive amount of luck being bad at the right time and winning the lottery. Its not a model to follow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoutherHabs

Are you serious?

St-Denis was not drafted. Avtsin, Trunev and Nattinen were later round picks. You could have a case with Leblanc but he's not a bust yet.

And then you actually compare us to the Pens to make a point, a franchise built on half a dozen top5 picks. You fail to notice our entire core that has been drafted and/or develloped by us are all doing just as good or better than expected&projected. I'm sorry but you obviously have no clue looking at the Habs fairly. Some homers think every one of their prospects&players are gold and others are constantly thinking the grass is greener elsewhere because if it wasn't they would be having parades on the Sainte Catherine every summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999

It falls on the Habs to win the next cup for Canada it seems. Vancouver's window is passing. Edmonton&Calgary are going to be perpetually rebuilding for years. Toronto is seriously overrated (especially on the Habs board) and I almost forgot Ottawa, which is reason enough to say they won't be the ones winning.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 04-23-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old
04-23-2013, 08:54 AM
Jerky

HUGE game in Washington tonight as they host the Jets. Jets can take back the division lead with a regulation win and push Washington down to 8th (depending on what the Isles and Rangers do)

I think this will be the most intense hockey game of the season, with both teams knowing that this could very well be their season on the line.

It's gonna be such a psyche break for the loser.

Old
04-23-2013, 08:56 AM
Tuggy

Definitely going to be an interesting finish in the East. Only thing set in stone is Pittsburgh in first.

And go Flyers tonight!

Old
04-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Your posts makes no sense at all. You list a guy that was a FA and 2 guys in the second pro year as "not having panned out", most player don't crack the NHL until 22-23-24. Some of the others you named were gambles, some gambles work(Markov Plekanec Emelin Subban etc) and others don't, overall the Habs drafting track record is among the best in the NHL.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:24 AM
WhiskeySeven

I don't want the flyers in the post season, they'll wreck us.

I still have faith we can win.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Pricef

Quote:

I guess there is no use actually playing the games it the outcome has been pre-determined.

Old
04-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:

Yes, the Penguins have better prospects than the Habs right now outside of the NHL. Or did you think that other teams randomly chose prospects from a hat from the Penguins when they trade with them?

Ha alter drafting style...here's a funny fact for you:
Top 2 round picks from 2009 - 2012:
Pittsburgh - 8
Montreal - 6

1st round picks from 2009-2012:
Pittsburgh - 5
Montreal - 4

Penguins maintain organizational depth and aren't stupidly throwing picks away. They loaded up past few years and that puts them in a position of strength when you combine it with their perennial contender status.

Habs have already depleted depth to patch bubble playoff teams and bottomed out last season in one of the worst team finishes in franchise history. They are in a position to load up in depth in the 2013 draft.

I'm quite pleased Bergevin isn't so shortsighted that he thought 40 games with a lot of things going his way was enough to deem this team a contender. These past couple weeks pretty much confirm that. Trading away those picks could have set this team back for years. Instead, Habs can more safely make more win now trades next season if the team is indeed legit.

Old
04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
Jerky

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I don't want the flyers in the post season, they'll wreck us.

I still have faith we can win.
Flyers are eliminated....only Winnipeg can still make the playoffs of the current 9th - 15th place teams

Closed Thread