HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anything Goes 8: Fire This Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-04-2013, 08:18 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

vCash: 1062
I never thought it'd be difficult to get rid of Gretzky and Lemieux autographs.

Old
06-04-2013, 08:27 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
For the average home cook, sure. The chefs knife I had from them was a piece of junk.
Id consider myself an above average cook, but with my butcher background I use a clever for most jobs with a boning knife as my #2

Old
06-04-2013, 08:54 PM
RayP

vCash: 50
To each their own. I don't like how they feel when you're holding them, and can't get one as sharp as I'd like or like I can with my other knives.

Old
06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Hawks82

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Rent Sid and Nancy if you want an idea what real punk was. Disturbing but interesting.
Gary Oldman is excellent as Sid. Not a bad film.

Julian Temple's documentary The Filth and the Fury is the best Sex Pistols film. Definitely worth checking out.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:07 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Knives are like hockey sticks IMO. Different grips and curves for different people.

I also have my knives professionally sharpened once every 15 monthsish.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:10 AM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
Knives are like hockey sticks IMO. Different grips and curves for different people.

I also have my knives professionally sharpened once every 15 monthsish.
I do it once a year, right before Thanksgiving (since I know over the next 30-45 days after that I'll be cooking a ton). I would really love to eventually be taught how to professionally sharpen one using a fine stone. One day...

Old
06-05-2013, 06:16 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Eh, I feel like its a job best suited for somebody who makes his living doing it.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:30 AM
RayP

I hear you, but sometimes it can take up to 2 weeks to get your knives back... so that's why it's a once a year thing for me. I'm not saying I need to be as good as the people who do it as a service, but to be able to use a stone like that effectively, that'd be great.

Old
06-05-2013, 06:37 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

I have a guy that does it cheap and gets me my knives back in about three days. Spoiled for sure

Old
06-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Sevanston

I got this one specifically because a chef friend told me it was a good, cheap knife that was dishwasher-safe.

I'll join the expensive knife club in a few years.

Old
06-05-2013, 11:14 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
God, I seriously love these slow starts of the month. Lets me work ahead, relax a bit, actually have a lunch break, and, of course, screw around on HFBoards on the company dime.

Might try to get some reading in as well. Had this book on the Crusades that I've had for a long while and have been in the 400s for a while now. Still got 500 pages to go, darn it!

Side note.... *******, it was really, really bad to be Jewish during medieval Europe. Like clockwork, every crusade essentially begins with a pogrom, aka "Hey, let's just kill a bunch of Jews in this city for no reason" every time an army comes together before they march on down to the Holy Land. Another side note, thank God for antibiotics nowadays.

Old
06-06-2013, 06:14 AM
RayP

Have expressed my disinterest in buying a home, really ever... but have sort of been talked into a situation in which I would buy. Going to look at a few apartments/condos this weekend, for the possibility of maybe buying sometime between November-February (pending search at that time of course). Have found one place that I've fallen in love with just from the pics. I'd be a little more open and OK to buying something like the one below, but still wouldn't want to buy an actual house, with property and ****. Kind of excited to go check it out this weekend...

Old
06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
digdug41982

That's cool; I like the windows, very sharp.

Old
06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
Not Now John
I'm being repressed!

vCash: 2210
Going down to Missouri during the last week of June. Hope we don't have to cancel the St. Louis leg of the trip.

Also, I really like the place you've found, Ray. Very clean and modern, with what looks like a more-than-decent view. And that kitchen...

Old
06-06-2013, 10:14 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawks82 View Post
Gary Oldman is excellent as Sid. Not a bad film.

Julian Temple's documentary The Filth and the Fury is the best Sex Pistols film. Definitely worth checking out.
Be careful searching that on Google.

Old
06-06-2013, 10:29 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 5113
Looks very nice, at least from those images. Make sure you pay attention to the tax rates (and if they're high, if homeowner's exemptions have been applied or not), how much monthly condo dues are, and what's covered by them. These can all vary greatly.

Old
06-06-2013, 10:33 AM
Cullksinikers

Ray, that place is nice. If you are comfortable with the price, it makes you and your fiancée (still, right?) happy, and is a place you can see yourself living in for a respectable amount of time, I say you snag it.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:19 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Looks very nice, at least from those images. Make sure you pay attention to the tax rates (and if they're high, if homeowner's exemptions have been applied or not), how much monthly condo dues are, and what's covered by them. These can all vary greatly.
Yeah, that's what we are going to find out this weekend. The monthly dues are what is scaring me the most. Not too worried about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
Ray, that place is nice. If you are comfortable with the price, it makes you and your fiancée (still, right?) happy, and is a place you can see yourself living in for a respectable amount of time, I say you snag it.
The place is more than affordable, hell each of us could afford it alone on just our salaries... but yeah, going to check it out this weekend, and a few other units in that building as well. Don't anticipate buying within the next few months, but sometimes you never know.

Quote:
That's cool; I like the windows, very sharp.
Same. Definitely want a place with wall to ceiling windows. It's not the biggest place (around 850 square feet), but it's more than big enough for the two of us for the next 5-6 years... and I have a no kids before 30 rule (just turned 26 last March) so even if we have a kid right when I hit 30, a year or two in that place with a small child would be doable. It's more about the area than the place, though, the area rocks... and renting in that area would be double what our mortgage would be for the same unit.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:45 PM
digdug41982

Yeah, why wouldn't you buy it.

Old
06-06-2013, 02:49 PM
RayP

Quote:
Yeah, why wouldn't you buy it.
I've said before, several times, that I'm just anti-buying in general. Don't want the long term commitment, and would like to easily be able to move in a snap. It's how I've always been, and I've moved a ton in my lifetime.

I would be more open to an apartment, because another reason I've said I don't want to buy was in reference to a house... where I'd be responsible for any and everything that might go wrong with it. At least with an apartment in a high rise like that, there would only be a few things I'd ever had to worry about going wrong, maybe like a plumbing issue or something.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:02 PM
Kurtosis
RTJ

Quote:
I've said before, several times, that I'm just anti-buying in general. Don't want the long term commitment, and would like to easily be able to move in a snap. It's how I've always been, and I've moved a ton in my lifetime.

I would be more open to an apartment, because another reason I've said I don't want to buy was in reference to a house... where I'd be responsible for any and everything that might go wrong with it. At least with an apartment in a high rise like that, there would only be a few things I'd ever had to worry about going wrong, maybe like a plumbing issue or something.
You're not able to lease it?

Old
06-06-2013, 03:06 PM
digdug41982

Quote:

Sounds like you'd be able to sell it quite easily though.

Old
06-06-2013, 03:10 PM
RayP

Quote:
Sounds like you'd be able to sell it quite easily though.
That's my thought/hope as well. That, and being that it's really not that expensive of a place... so even if we lost a % on what we paid for to sell it quicker, the actual dollar amount shouldn't be anything too bad. Although I highly highly doubt either of us would be put in a position where we need to move ASAP... and we both want to stay in that area with no intention of ever moving out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
You're not able to lease it?
Apartment in that building is going to start around $1300/month leasing/renting. We could do a 15 year mortgage with 15% down and have a mortgage under $700/month, or a 30 year mortgage with payments under $450 a month...

Old
06-07-2013, 08:19 AM
RayP

No Fun, didn't want to clog the other thread so posting it here...

You mention trivia with your buds at the bar a lot. Are you guys really serious into it, or is it just a reason to get out and see some friends? Only reason I ask is because there are actually a lot of trivia leagues down here, and they'll have tournaments with 50+ teams and $50K grand prize, a couple times a year.

Old
06-07-2013, 09:17 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me IU

Anyone good at GIF editing?

Looking to cut this so it starts when he looks up:

Closed Thread