HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Forum Lounge (Home of All Things OT) - Part II

Closed Thread

Old
05-30-2013, 11:51 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
Do not understand the decision to put Boggs in the game. At all. I don't think that could've gone worse... and there are still no outs and bases loaded.
I was at the game and said the same thing. He hasn't pitched in like a week, and he hasn't been good all season. Why put him out there in a one run game in the ninth inning? I'm actually not a member of the "Trade Boggs" brigade, but I definitely do not want him in the game in that situation. Throw him out there when we're winning or losing by 7, let him figure it out again, and bring him back slowly(to relieving in close games, NOT the 9th; Mujica has been excellent).

Wacha was pretty damn good. From my own completely subjective stat keeping, the Royals only hit 4 balls hard against him, and that changeup was disgusting. I'm sure hitters will eventually figure it out, but every Royal hitter was off balance when he threw that pitch. His curve ball looks like a major work in progress, though. Giant hump in it and he doesn't seem to have the command of it that he did with his fastball or change. I think he and Yadi chose good times to throw it though, usually the first pitch of an at bat on the second and third time through the order. It was pretty effective at getting first pitch strikes, but it's definitely not a put away pitch. Maybe Carpenter or Waino can work with him on it. All in all, I'd say he justified the hype.

EDIT TO ADD: Also got a good chuckle in the ninth inning. After Boggs gave up the homer, the rain started coming down a little bit harder and this guy that clearly had too much to drink shouted "I hope you catch a cold, Boggs!" Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty funny at the time.

Last edited by MattyMo35: 05-31-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old
05-31-2013, 12:19 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

I just want to make sure I have everything clear in my head.

-Edward Mujica is a perfect 17 for 17 in saves
-Seth Maness had thrown like 5 pitches to get one out
-Trevor Rosenthal had thrown 1 inning in the first 3 games of the series
-Joe Kelly was also available (admittedly not been great, but still)

....and we go with BOGGS?!!!

And then we throw gas on the fire and go with Victor Marte?!

I mean come on.

Old
05-31-2013, 07:59 AM
Vladys Gumption

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falco Lombardi View Post
I just want to make sure I have everything clear in my head.

-Edward Mujica is a perfect 17 for 17 in saves
-Seth Maness had thrown like 5 pitches to get one out
-Trevor Rosenthal had thrown 1 inning in the first 3 games of the series
-Joe Kelly was also available (admittedly not been great, but still)

....and we go with BOGGS?!!!

And then we throw gas on the fire and go with Victor Marte?!

I mean come on.
Leave it to Matheny to screw up Wacha's debut by using Boggs and Marte. Still, I wish I could have watched the game, but alas I'm in Florida.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:08 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

This is on MO at this point. It was insane that he was recalled to begin with based on both his "rehabilitation" performance in Memphis (5+ era, 1.88 WHIP) AND the fact that he knows that Matheny can't help not just using him but using him in crucial situations even though he's awful (3 of his 4 outings since his recall have come in close games).

Managers are always overly loyal to veteran pitchers that had good seasons for them in a prior year or years and it's the general manager's responsibility to be the rational voice in the room and take that player away from the manager.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:16 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
This is on MO at this point. It was insane that he was recalled to begin with based on both his "rehabilitation" performance in Memphis (5+ era, 1.88 WHIP) AND the fact that he knows that Matheny can't help not just using him but using him in crucial situations even though he's awful (3 of his 4 outings since his recall have come in close games).

Managers are always overly loyal to veteran pitchers that had good seasons for them in a prior year or years and it's the general manager's responsibility to be the rational voice in the room and take that player away from the manager.
Our biggest problem is outside of Mujica, Rosie, and Manness the rest of the bullpen is pretty bad. We're gonna wear those guys out. MO's gotta find some bullpen help at the deadline.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:34 AM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
Our biggest problem is outside of Mujica, Rosie, and Manness the rest of the bullpen is pretty bad. We're gonna wear those guys out. MO's gotta find some bullpen help at the deadline.
He probably will. They have a ridiculous amount of trade chips and 6th-7th inning guys like Mujica last year are easier to find than back of the bullpen guys which we don't need at this point with Rosenthal and Mujica pitching great.

Chris Duncan speculated that if Westbrook comes back he likes Lyons in the bullpen which should give them two good lefties in Choate and Lyons. They just need another good righthanded reliever and it's a little puzzling that Joe Kelly goes from having a solid rookie season to battling it out with Shelby Miller toe to toe for the final starting spot in spring to being an afterthought. I don't quite get Matheny's thought process there especially with Kelly's stellar bullpen history in college.

I could see MO wanting some more experience in the bullpen come the deadline as they head into the stretch and post-season but for now it's weird how underutilized Kelly has been.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:45 AM
SirPaste

That one was on Matheny, its only one game to an American League team though. Learn from the mistake and move on.

edit: Oh and most importantly, get rid of Boggs

Old
05-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
He probably will. They have a ridiculous amount of trade chips and 6th-7th inning guys like Mujica last year are easier to find than back of the bullpen guys which we don't need at this point with Rosenthal and Mujica pitching great.

Chris Duncan speculated that if Westbrook comes back he likes Lyons in the bullpen which should give them two good lefties in Choate and Lyons. They just need another good righthanded reliever and it's a little puzzling that Joe Kelly goes from having a solid rookie season to battling it out with Shelby Miller toe to toe for the final starting spot in spring to being an afterthought. I don't quite get Matheny's thought process there especially with Kelly's stellar bullpen history in college.

I could see MO wanting some more experience in the bullpen come the deadline as they head into the stretch and post-season but for now it's weird how underutilized Kelly has been.
I agree about Kelly. I'd like to see him get more work. He can't possibly do any worse than Boggs.

Old
05-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Bruv
Loveless

Regardless of how bad Boggs is, no denying the fact Wacha looked legit

Old
05-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Steve Doan
Re-sign Elliott

I do like matheny, but I question him a lot more than I ever did T. Why he rarely uses Kelly this year, when we should be grooming him into a starter, and why he has so much confidence in veteran's like Boggs, Salas, and Marte after they continually fail, is worrisome. I will say though, its nice being on the top when you gotta figure these things out.

Old
05-31-2013, 01:45 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Joe Kelly's era is 6.75, yet people bash Boggs and not him. We have Mujica, Rosenthal, Choate, and Maness; those are our only good relievers. Everyone else sucks.

Old
05-31-2013, 02:57 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Joe Kelly's era is 6.75, yet people bash Boggs and not him. We have Mujica, Rosenthal, Choate, and Maness; those are our only good relievers. Everyone else sucks.
I'll give you that Kelly's numbers suck right now. But, unlike Boggs, he hasn't been consistently sucky over his career. Boggs had one good year, last year, and other than that he's been bad. Kelly's numbers are not nearly as bad as Boggs. Plus, he's got room for improvement. And it's hard to get into a rhythym when your manager refuses to use you, and instead keeps using the worst pitcher on the team.

Old
05-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Vladys Gumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
I do like matheny, but I question him a lot more than I ever did T. Why he rarely uses Kelly this year, when we should be grooming him into a starter, and why he has so much confidence in veteran's like Boggs, Salas, and Marte after they continually fail, is worrisome. I will say though, its nice being on the top when you gotta figure these things out.
Matheny makes some questionable calls, but overall I don't think we can really question him. I mean we do have the best overall record in baseball right now. One thing I do like though, is that he uses his young guys. Tony was all about his veterans.

Old
05-31-2013, 03:11 PM
ExJbeck

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...#slide=2099465

Great job Carlo!

Old
05-31-2013, 03:21 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
EDIT TO ADD: Also got a good chuckle in the ninth inning. After Boggs gave up the homer, the rain started coming down a little bit harder and this guy that clearly had too much to drink shouted "I hope you catch a cold, Boggs!" Maybe you had to be there, but it was pretty funny at the time.
I usually cringe at blues games when fans yell at our players (Jackman) but I probably would have laughed at that. At least it's more original than "YOU SUCK BREWER!

Old
05-31-2013, 03:25 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
I usually cringe at blues games when fans yell at our players (Jackman) but I probably would have laughed at that. At least it's more original than "YOU SUCK BREWER!
But Brewer did suck.

Old
05-31-2013, 03:29 PM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
But Brewer did suck.
True, but it is just frustrating when you're trying to root for you team to win and you have people constantly yelling negative things, and it pretty much takes over everything. So annoying. Just enjoy the damn game, haha.

Old
05-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Vladys Gumption

Boggs to AAA. Woohoo!

Old
05-31-2013, 08:35 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

"mass casualty event at Holiday Inn" in Earth City, MO

05-31-2013, 08:59 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Screw tornadoes...

Old
05-31-2013, 09:08 PM
Vladys Gumption

Everybody ok? My whole family is accounted for, but we're not sure about the house yet. We aren't home and can't check. Heard the Holliday Inn in Earth City got it bad.

Old
05-31-2013, 09:49 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
Life as a Sharks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpinTheBlackCircle View Post
"mass casualty event at Holiday Inn" in Earth City, MO
KMOV was apparently wrong, sorry all

Old
05-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Bruv
Loveless

I live in Wildwood.. just got a ton of rain.. heard a little bit of hail too

Old
06-01-2013, 12:47 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

In south county we just got a bunch of rain, but at one point the sky was purple and orange. It was pretty wild. Hope everyone is alright.

Old
06-01-2013, 04:00 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

That Shelby Miller guy is alright.

Closed Thread